TransUnion

Updated Jul 23, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Jim Peck

Pros
  • They have good policies and management in place to support work/life balance(in 18 reviews)

• They pay and benefits are satisfactory (not great mind you)(in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-Life balance exists, but is not the strongest the Chicago area(in 7 reviews)

• Too much red tape to get anything done(in 8 reviews)

Pros have outweighed cons for me

Senior Project Manager (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsNew owners are currently investing in hiring, systems, acquisitions, and in renovating the building to encourage workforce engagement and company growth. There are plenty of job opportunities for those who are willing to take charge of their own career. Great access to public transportation. Good salaries and benefits.

ConsIt is difficult to get projects done and priorities change at a high frequency. Multiple ownership changes have taken a toll on employees and the culture. There are very few women in upper management (boys club), despite mentoring initiatives.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe sure to fully vet growth initiatives. Expensive surface changes may not have the results that new management expects.

TransUnion is a good place to work

ProsThe team I'm on - I love my team at TransUnion - everyone is focused on doing there best work, and it's been great to see the success we've had.
    The people - TransUnion is full of smart and motivated individuals.
    Good Benefits.
    Ability to move up.

ConsLots of changes at Senior Leadership.

Junior management

Vice President (Current Employee)

ProsIt's a pay check until I can find something better.

ConsNew management has limited skill sets and completely lacks innovation. No clear vision and more interest in playing games than meeting customer needs. I am not sure how they hired the current team they seem to only understand financials and are forcing everyone into goat ropes. I can understand why the competitor let us have their CEO... It was a trick and the joke is on us.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop focusing on beating Lexis.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

It's an alright experience for an Intern

Technology Intern (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsThey have some good stuff going on in healthcare. I spoke to a lot of people while I was here and the work they were doing was great.

ConsThe team I was working on was stale and the technology was old. Didn't have much to do

Advice to Senior ManagementHave faith in the interns and give them actual work

Senior management doesn't have what it takes to run a large corporation

ProsCompany has a decent salary range and some flexibility depending on your manager.

ConsManagement does not communicate with employees. Lack of direction, leadership and very disorganized and extremely inefficient. There are so many loop holes, need to hire more ppl if you want to achieve aggressive goals. Senior management seems to run company like a small business not a large corporation. Technology is behind and company doesn't value employees knowledge and skills all the time. They need to utilize people in the right places and also hire people that are qualified for management positions. The aggressive goals are impossible to achieve and the place is slowly turning into a sweatshop.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed clear goals, good communication and good leadership direction in order to get employees more engaged and on board.

Poor Communication

Director (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsPeople are great to work with.

ConsExecutives do not communicate effectively. Implementing change is very difficult and sometimes impossible. Processes and technology is dated.

Advice to Senior ManagementFind better ways to communicate your vision. Be more engaged with eveyone on your team at all levels.

Need to be in the right "click" to survive.

Analyst (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsGood people to work with. They care about the work and each other.

ConsI had 4 different team leaders and three different titles in 4 years. Way to much change in a short period of time to measure whether or not things are even working properly. They promote managers from within with zero experience and worst of all zero people skills. Workloads are unsustainable due to huge push to migrate systems off mainframe to open systems. Unfortunately for all those employees performing those migrations once they are complete TU will need less then half of the production staff and will start cutting immediately. Should be by end of 2015 at latest. To be on the good side of the layoffs you need to be in the click of people who started around early 2000's.

Advice to Senior ManagementFor upper management give those employees a good severence package and don't ship the jobs remaining overseas. You can at least hire right out of college for those jobs.
    For middle management your employees are your most valuable asset. You need to treat them that way. Positive reinforcement is as old as time BUT still in fact works.

Solid company going through culture change

ProsHigher than average salaries. The building is currently going through a renovation and will have a much more modern look. There is also a new CEO who is trying to make the culture more employee friendly.

ConsLack of direction and leadership from upper management. There is a lot of inefficiencies and manual processes. There is a lack of communication between segments.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide better leadership to employees.

Great people, but lacking in trust

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsSome good job mobility for some, GREAT work life balance and flexibility

ConsVery heavy on the top, little to no leverage of individual contributor talent

Advice to Senior ManagementTrust and empower

No adancement

ProsConveniant to get to, as well as good 401(K). Work life balance is pretty good, at least in my area, not in all though

ConsBeen there for 10 years. Originally it was a "big" company, but run like a small one. Now, 3 owners later, its layered in process, procedure and politics. When the consulting pie disappeared in 2008, many came to work at TU. With that came large salaries for them, as well as halt in product development, advancement and the culture became very stuffy. Things that used to take 2 days, started take 2 weeks, probably due to management knowing absolutely nothing about data or TU's clients.

I've been on both the IT side as well as the business side of things. IT has "leaders" who truly now nothing about IT, however, they talk well. The technical side of things is archaic because of a heavy reliance on vendors to sell enterprise products that do not produce and the soldiers are left to try and use these "tools."

Thier third party survey's pointed out numerous areas that need serious attention, mainly advancement, COMMUNICATION, and training. No improvement whatsover in these areas, especially the communication area. Serious lack of direction, not just from the very top, but within small groups. Frustrating to say least.

Lots of hiring going on right now, however revenue is flat. Big changes coming in 2016, most beleive Goldman Sachs will IPO it or sell the business. Lots of turnover happening. Serious caste system in place, "haves" and "have nots", mostly have nots.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunicate better, and not just with VP's, but across the board. Usually when someone is good at "the game" or politics, they're not good managers, thats what you have. Serious need of good managers needed.

Worked for TransUnion? Contribute to the Community!