TransUnion

Updated Jul 23, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Jim Peck

Pros
  • They have good policies and management in place to support work/life balance(in 18 reviews)

• They pay and benefits are satisfactory (not great mind you)(in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-Life balance exists, but is not the strongest the Chicago area(in 7 reviews)

• Too much red tape to get anything done(in 8 reviews)

Once a wonderful company, now mostly concerned with cost cutting.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Crum Lynne, PA

ProsSome of the most knowledgeable and loyal people work there. If your willing to volunteer for projects and can prove yourself, great opportunity to learn new things.

Consshort sighted focus, and extreme cost cutting is hurting long term outlook. Office Politics plays a bigger role than results in some field locations. Threat of job elimination is always over your head. Owners looking for the fast profit before selling the company. Some members of management were promoted before they were ready, therefore knee-jerk decisions are being made.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to the front line employees, as management below the C-level is too concerned with protecting themselves to act in best interest of company. There is no trust of middle management, (Team Managers through Directors)

Used to be great but buyout is the worst thing that ever happened

IT Professional (Former Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsGood compensation and health benefits

ConsEmployees are undervalued for their contribution.
    Bottom line is profits and Managers and top level only gets the credit

Advice to Senior ManagementReal Career Development and Recognition to Employees and not dirty games and politics.

Went from an enjoyable corporate culture to complete bedlam

ProsIf you can get in on the good side of Executive Vice Presidents, you stand a good chance of getting noticed. Regardless, the offer good benefits, including excellent health insurance and 401k matching.

ConsIn order to meet newly aggressive revenue goals, management now has unreasonable expectations about work loads. This has resulted in a lack of work/life balance, along with contradictory instructions and information from executive management.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement needs to value and recognize the long standing top performers in the company. They are the people who built the company, so you should stop taking them for granted.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

People were very dedicated.

QA Manager (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsPeople were very dedicated and motivated.

ConsHigh turnover and many layoffs of quality personal.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop the turnover

Opportunities for advancement

Prosadequate pay and benefits and training

Conscontinual outsourcing of responsibilities overseas

Good, stable company with nice work / life balance benefits

Product Manager (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsFlexibility with a good workforce atmosphere

ConsSlow career progression and very limited bonuses

Great place to work...I love it here

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsCompany committed to growth and success
    Great work/life balance
    Friendly, supportive office environment
    Good compensation and benefits
    Downtown location, near public transportation
    Free, recently-remodeled fitness facility
    Frequent fun, team-building events (holiday parties, volunteer opportunities, picnics, etc.)

ConsTransUnion is a large organization, with diverse lines of business that operates in multiple locations. Because of this, it can be challenging for the average employee to understand the "big picture" and efforts can be siloed. This is not unique to TransUnion, but rather something that occurs at most big companies.

Great and Stable company

ProsNew CEO has brought in lot of energy to TransUnion. Lot of new initiatives and improvements

ConsOpportunities to grow within the company is limited.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on career growth for internal resources

Progress, not perfection.

Director (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsWe are growing, evolving, becoming something more

ConsWe are growing, evolving, becoming something more

Advice to Senior ManagementAdvice to management- endure.
    We are growing. They call it "growing pains" for a reason. Growth is painful. But it is also how we learn. It is a catalyst for change. And change is what we want. To be better, stronger, more dynamic, more innovative, more collaborative, more involved. This is bound to make people uncomfortable because human nature is to resist change. So I say, endure. Keep going.

People come to work because they need to make money. But they want that money so they have the FREEDOM to do what they want in life- pursue their dreams, go on vacation, send their kids to college, open a hobby business, pay for needed healthcare to save a life. Money gives us the freedom to do those things. Not everyone is independently wealthy, so credit in essence provides that freedom. Transunion and its peers are the William Wallace, the Braveheart, of our world. Giving people the freedom to pursue their dreams.

Jim Peck inherited a company that had sustained 5 years of constant change. He was left with a diamond in the rough and a company of associates who had been doing more with less for far too long. We have had 3 different owners in 5 years, changes in executive leadership, dealing with a difficult economy, major changes in government regulations. He came in and said "here is what I can improve and change NOW". Then looked at a long term plan of what we can change in the future. This takes time. Effort. Some fumbles and long nights but ultimately we are heading in the right direction.

Michael Jordan said it best "I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed."

We can't be afraid to try to be something better, something more, than what we are today. We have a leader who wants to take us there and isn't afraid if we fall down on the journey. Just get back up, learn from it, and keep going. For this first time, in a long time, I feel like I am part of something great. Not something that will save the world, but something that will change the world and leave it a better place.

Decent compensation but terrible culture and senior management.

IT Professional (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsBenefits and compensation are decent. Many of the employees are nice people as far as personalities go.

ConsThe culture and management are terrible here. The IT department uses terrible tools and technologies and does not do a good job of consulting with the support teams on what tools should be used. Also, there is a severe problem with people trying to avoid taking responsibility for issues; they tend to get very defensive about their particular area of technology instead of jumping in to help resolve whatever issue is there at the moment.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpdate. If employees are to do their jobs well, they need up-to-date tools and technologies.

Also, stop keeping the purse strings so tight when it comes to staging and development environments. Staging environments rarely (if ever) are exact replicas of the production environment, rendering pre-production testing more or less useless.

Worked for TransUnion? Contribute to the Community!