TransUnion Reviews

Reset
3.5
TransUnion President Jim Peck
Jim Peck

Pros
  • company is enhancing the organization's infrastructure - some flexibility for work - life balance (in 19 reviews)

• Allowed to work from home twice a week depending on your department (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Lack of respect for work/life balance (in 8 reviews)

• Processes - The amount of red-tape and lack of practical training on how to navigate the "system" is awe-inspiring (in 9 reviews)

TransUnion is changing for the better, but an old bureaucracy continues to stymie innovation

Current Employee - Operations in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Operations in Chicago, IL

I have been working at TransUnion full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Let me start off by staying that I wake up everyday happy to come to work for TransUnion. I absolutely love my colleagues. They are smart, motivated to consistently perform at a high level, and demonstrate a continued resiliency when faced with the unnecessary complexity of our organization. People at all levels are accessible even for individual contributors at the analyst level. I've found few instances of grandstanding by members of senior leadership. The company pays well across the board, but the ratio of "compensation to actual work" is highest at the director level (above managers and below vice presidents). Managers put in a great deal of hours and VPs are the proving ground of the leadership ranks, so there is a great deal of output from these levels. You also cannot beat the work-life balance. Very few people here work crazy hours. The ones that do are typically managers.

Cons

Associates are frustrated with the lack of new-hire training. While your manager is supportive of your efforts, the environment at TransUnion will be difficult for anyone who hates ambiguity or requires formal on-the-job training. Our bureaucracy is a major pain point. We have roughly 3,500 employees globally and our annual revenues are $1.4B. I'm not in finance, but this seems inefficient. Yet, it seems to most associates that there is a major lack of human resources. How can this be? For starters, it's a reliance on mainframe, an extremely vertical organization, and a general lack of career paths for associates across the business. I should note that the lack of established career paths can be a major advantage for those willing to network and switch business units, but this is easier said than done.

Advice to Management

The new brand has a tech company feel, but it's empty unless you start inspiring your people to innovate. Innovation is not just a responsibility for associates in product development. Take a hint from Uber, Google, Amazon, and the other major tech companies. Embrace the notion that we are a tech company and we're here to change the game of the information and risk solutions industry.

VP, International Strategy & Planning

Current Employee - Vice President, in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Vice President, in Chicago, IL

I have been working at TransUnion

Pros

Transunion (TRU) was my first job in the US and I have never had to look elsewhere. In the 15+ years at TRU, I have played a variety of roles in different aspects of the business, felt challenged over and over, and continue to learn something new every day. The most awesome thing about my journey at TRU is that I have grown with the company and the people I have worked with have brought out the best in me. I am truly grateful to TRU for believing in me and showing that if you are willing to give your best then the company will give its best to you!

Cons

Some people see the glass half full, others see the glass half empty, I am simply grateful to have a glass!

3. Credit Representative

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

I worked at TransUnion

Pros

Great collaborative team to work with

Cons

Lower pay and limited benefits but only worked parttime

5. Intern

Current Employee - Intern in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Intern in Chicago, IL

I have been working at TransUnion

Pros

1. Excellent work environment. 2. Friendly colleagues. 3. So many learning programs for interns.

Cons

I would say none as of now

Senior Director

I have been working at TransUnion

Pros

Very nice company with smart people

Cons

READ the benefits package carefully. There is essentially NO short term disability which means there is NO PAID maternity leave. READ IT PEOPLE and ask a benefits expert outside of the company. I am not sure why they do this but it is NOT a place young women who want children should work.

Advice to Management

Don't bury this benefit as people will be surprised when they find out

Not the enjoyable and rewarding place to work that it once was

Current Employee - Senior Technical Analyst in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Technical Analyst in Chicago, IL

I have been working at TransUnion full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Investments in technology and brand packaging finally being made. Has potential to be a lot more sucessful than it is.

Cons

People are not held accountable for consistent missed promises, targets/objectives. If you can spin a good story and get in with the club of a few in power you are in a good position, even if your results and promises don't come to fruition.

Advice to Management

Measure true factual results of initiatives, instead of relying on the story that is being shared

Sales Account Manager II

Current Employee - Sales Account Manager II in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Account Manager II in Chicago, IL

I have been working at TransUnion full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent work environment with updated computers and work space. The employees are all nice, experienced and knowledgeable. Great work life balance.

Cons

The industry is fairly complicated and takes time and patience to understand.

Advice to Management

Promote within more often

9. On the right track

I have been working at TransUnion full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Committed Leadership Positive Culture Benefits including work/life balance

Cons

Honestly can't think of any - love working here

Advice to Management

On the right track as the results prove

10. In the right direction...

Current Employee - Administrator in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Administrator in Chicago, IL

I have been working at TransUnion full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, both formal (insurance) as well as less formal (Manicube, gym on location). For the most part, good people who love what they do and create an inviting work environment. The company has recently focused on employee engagement, and has put in a lot of effort to improve upon it's employees' overall satisfaction; whether it be work-life balance, rewards & recognition, and even improved technology support. Most recently, the refreshed brand surged excitement throughout the company back in December, and the debut of TRU's listing at the NYSE just last week created a once-in-a-lifetime buzz amongst employees. It is a GREAT time to be a part of Transunion!

Cons

A handful of employees are stagnant, perfectly happy in their daily jobs and have no desire to be career-minded. This needs to be respected of course (to each his own); however, the attitude of such employees should not drive an entire group, consequently hindering those few who may be trying to whip up change for the better (not be bogged down by what "has been done for 10, 20, 30 years") and be leaders in their own rights.

Advice to Management

Do not overlook potential for the sake of comfort.

11. Going from Good to Great!

I have been working at TransUnion full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Meaningful business that is good for society and the economy - Talented leadership team with highly committed employees at all levels - Solid benefits with the right degree of flexible working opportunities

Cons

- Operating in the matrix (but that's everywhere these days)

RSS Feed </> Embed