TransUnion Reviews

Reset
3.5
TransUnion President Jim Peck
Jim Peck

Pros
  • company is enhancing the organization's infrastructure - some flexibility for work - life balance (in 19 reviews)

• Allowed to work from home twice a week depending on your department (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Lack of respect for work/life balance (in 8 reviews)

• Processes - The amount of red-tape and lack of practical training on how to navigate the "system" is awe-inspiring (in 9 reviews)

1. Mostly good company

I worked at TransUnion full-time

Pros

Great health and benefits package that's remained consistent over the years. Especially compared to many of my colleagues at other companies and despite the outlook of the economy at large. Generally casual work environment and open door policy with management.

Cons

If you're not used to salty language from your executives; this might not be the company for you. While not unique to this company, there are some departments that are too silo-ed off from the rest of the organization which makes it difficult to deal with them when needed.

Could be a lot better

I worked at TransUnion full-time

Pros

Good benifits, Good base

Cons

Micro managed, couple of the manager will throw you under the bus real jerks .

Advice to Management

dump some of the old time managers get some that know the value of working together .

3. Account Manager

Pros

The culture is great and management is very helpful. There is no backstabbing by coworkers and the direction the company is going in is very clear.

Cons

None at this time that I can think of.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

Job Review

Pros

Not just a credit bureau...very high tech data distribution company with a lot of growth potential through acquisitions. Many new credit-related financial products.

Cons

Some management tendencies seem too much like a sweatshop mentality. Career paths can be difficult to determine for new employees.

Advice to Management

Would have been a good idea to offer employees a discounted price on the IPO. It will be necessary to retain a COO in the near future with the type of growth that is expected.

Dressed up to look impressive but not well managed

Former Employee - Sales Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at TransUnion full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Kind dedicated and mostly hard working co-workers.

Cons

A quietly political organization where leaders kiss up to one another instead of doing what is right for the business. Healthy confrontation never takes place out of fear of repercussions.

Advice to Management

Stop rewarding those who simply go with the flow and say only what they think you want to hear.

7. TransUnion

Current Employee - EOC Infrastructure Senior Network Specialist in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - EOC Infrastructure Senior Network Specialist in Chicago, IL

I have been working at TransUnion full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great company to work for

Cons

I can't think of any cons

8. Diamond in the rough

Current Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at TransUnion full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Pay is good. Lots of opportunities. They care about people. Easy for great people to shine and advance.

Cons

Longer hours. Red tape in IT can be maddening at times.

Advice to Management

None

9. Developer

Current Employee - Software Developer in Englewood, CO
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Englewood, CO

Pros

Good place to work, great benefits, and no overtime.

Cons

High turnover in director level positions.

TransUnion is changing for the better, but an old bureaucracy continues to stymie innovation

Current Employee - Operations in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Operations in Chicago, IL

I have been working at TransUnion full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Let me start off by staying that I wake up everyday happy to come to work for TransUnion. I absolutely love my colleagues. They are smart, motivated to consistently perform at a high level, and demonstrate a continued resiliency when faced with the unnecessary complexity of our organization. People at all levels are accessible even for individual contributors at the analyst level. I've found few instances of grandstanding by members of senior leadership. The company pays well across the board, but the ratio of "compensation to actual work" is highest at the director level (above managers and below vice presidents). Managers put in a great deal of hours and VPs are the proving ground of the leadership ranks, so there is a great deal of output from these levels. You also cannot beat the work-life balance. Very few people here work crazy hours. The ones that do are typically managers.

Cons

Associates are frustrated with the lack of new-hire training. While your manager is supportive of your efforts, the environment at TransUnion will be difficult for anyone who hates ambiguity or requires formal on-the-job training. Our bureaucracy is a major pain point. We have roughly 3,500 employees globally and our annual revenues are $1.4B. I'm not in finance, but this seems inefficient. Yet, it seems to most associates that there is a major lack of human resources. How can this be? For starters, it's a reliance on mainframe, an extremely vertical organization, and a general lack of career paths for associates across the business. I should note that the lack of established career paths can be a major advantage for those willing to network and switch business units, but this is easier said than done.

Advice to Management

The new brand has a tech company feel, but it's empty unless you start inspiring your people to innovate. Innovation is not just a responsibility for associates in product development. Take a hint from Uber, Google, Amazon, and the other major tech companies. Embrace the notion that we are a tech company and we're here to change the game of the information and risk solutions industry.

Good pay, poor employee expectations

I worked at TransUnion full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great pay and benefits, opportunities for advancement and pay increases. Two-week training that prepares you for everything. Benefits include medical, dental, and vision.

Cons

High stress due to the types of calls and callers you may get. Management expects you to complete all calls within 3 minutes, which is almost impossible. Customer service is not emphasized over timed calls. Very strict with time cards and times punched.

Advice to Management

Emphasize customer service more to improve employee morale and consumer satisfaction.

RSS Feed </> Embed