TransUnion Reviews

Updated September 22, 2014
Updated September 22, 2014
2.8

Jim Peck

Pros
  • They have good policies and management in place to support work/life balance (in 18 reviews)

• They pay and benefits are satisfactory (not great mind you) (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-Life balance exists, but is not the strongest the Chicago area (in 7 reviews)

• Too much red tape to get anything done (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Great place to work

Current Employee - Intern  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Intern in Chicago, IL

I have been working at TransUnion as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Great autonomy. When you need to take time off its easy to do, but you need to look at others calendar first, gives great constructive criticism, if you need help with something egos are not an issue. Friendly work environment and culture

Cons

Depending on department, inters don't get a lot of work

Keep up the awesome work

Great company!

Former Employee - Customer Service  in  Wilmington, DE
    Former Employee - Customer Service in Wilmington, DE

I worked at TransUnion full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Opportunities for advancement, great working environment, good pay.

Cons

Sometimes management can assign projects to the wrong people and have it affect numbers, but overall they are good. One bad manager doesn't make a bad company.

Make sure quality analysis is actually random and not insert a problem call into a person's monthly quality assessment, make sure you promote the ones who are obviously trying hard to be an asset to the company and not just your friends.

Friendly and Professional Workplace

Current Employee - Software Developer Intern  in  Burlington, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Software Developer Intern in Burlington, ON (Canada)

I have been working at TransUnion as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Company has many social activities for engagement from quarterly business Town Hall meetings to monthly summer BBQ's. Leadership is approachable and can tap anybody to share knowledge. Employees have telecommuting opportunity. Flexible working hours.

Cons

The hot chocolate in the Star Bucks machine is often out. On the serious side, it is difficult to plan team meetings due to how busy most individuals are with their own departments..

Excellent opportunity for internship and experience a growing company that has their employees welfare at mind. Many employees have been here many years due to benefits and workplace atmosphere.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Review

I have been working at TransUnion full-time

Pros

Excellent people with tremendous passion for work

Cons

reporting interferes with the ability to do real work.

Great place to work...I love it here

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at TransUnion full-time for less than a year

Pros

Company committed to growth and success
    Great work/life balance
    Friendly, supportive office environment
    Good compensation and benefits
    Downtown location, near public transportation
    Free, recently-remodeled fitness facility
    Frequent fun, team-building events (holiday parties, volunteer opportunities, picnics, etc.)

Cons

TransUnion is a large organization, with diverse lines of business that operates in multiple locations. Because of this, it can be challenging for the average employee to understand the "big picture" and efforts can be siloed. This is not unique to TransUnion, but rather something that occurs at most big companies.

Progress, not perfection.

Current Employee - Director  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Director in Chicago, IL

I have been working at TransUnion full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

We are growing, evolving, becoming something more

Cons

We are growing, evolving, becoming something more

Advice to management- endure.
    We are growing. They call it "growing pains" for a reason. Growth is painful. But it is also how we learn. It is a catalyst for change. And change is what we want. To be better, stronger, more dynamic, more innovative, more collaborative, more involved. This is bound to make people uncomfortable because human nature is to resist change. So I say, endure. Keep going.

People come to work because they need to make money. But they want that money so they have the FREEDOM to do what they want in life- pursue their dreams, go on vacation, send their kids to college, open a hobby business, pay for needed healthcare to save a life. Money gives us the freedom to do those things. Not everyone is independently wealthy, so credit in essence provides that freedom. Transunion and its peers are the William Wallace, the Braveheart, of our world. Giving people the freedom to pursue their dreams.

Jim Peck inherited a company that had sustained 5 years of constant change. He was left with a diamond in the rough and a company of associates who had been doing more with less for far too long. We have had 3 different owners in 5 years, changes in executive leadership, dealing with a difficult economy, major changes in government regulations. He came in and said "here is what I can improve and change NOW". Then looked at a long term plan of what we can change in the future. This takes time. Effort. Some fumbles and long nights but ultimately we are heading in the right direction.

Michael Jordan said it best "I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed."

We can't be afraid to try to be something better, something more, than what we are today. We have a leader who wants to take us there and isn't afraid if we fall down on the journey. Just get back up, learn from it, and keep going. For this first time, in a long time, I feel like I am part of something great. Not something that will save the world, but something that will change the world and leave it a better place.

Getting better every day

Current Employee - Associate Product Manager  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Associate Product Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at TransUnion full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The new leadership team including the direction of the technology and infrastructure are making some great changes. I am starting to feel excited about the possibilities for the company and my personal job growth.

Cons

The old legacy processes, thinking and people who just don’t want to change. Come on now, either get on board or get off the bus.

Need to review salary levels to ensure they are competitive and consider bonus structures.

A very friendly place that cares about its employees.

Current Employee - Software Engineer  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at TransUnion full-time for more than a year

Pros

Paid outside training, great benefits, fair salaries.

Cons

Sometimes can be very bureaucratic, as the company is very large.

Current Employee - Java Developer
    Current Employee - Java Developer

I have been working at TransUnion

Pros

the work enviroment, professionlism, and the amount of experience I gained at transunion is fantastic and very unique. pepole over there were very helpful

Cons

there is no downsides at all in transunion LLC company at chicago. Work over there is so exciting and intersting

no advice for the management of Transunion. the management of transunion is soo good and I really enjoyed the work over there

TU is a great place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at TransUnion

Pros

TU is very committed to work-life-family balance and they have programs that support that (flex-time, part-time, work-at-home opportunities); every department provides many training opportunities for associates, not only in areas directly ties to their current positions, but related to their short and long term career goals; they have a great selection of health benefits with low employee premiums; they're located right across from Union Station for an easy downtown commute; they employ a casual dress code

Cons

Salaries not has high as other companies (but benefits may outweigh salary difference); employee job satisfaction varies among departments, depending on management team

Too many internal realignments - they make sense, but employees are left with no sense of permanence or belonging to any given team or manager

Worked for TransUnion? Contribute to the Community!