Transamerica

Updated January 8, 2015
2.7

Transamerica President and CEO Mark W. Mullin
Mark W. Mullin

Pros
  • They have very good benefits and a good base pay (in 13 reviews)

• Decent benefits package - Health Insurance, Life Insurance, Retirement package, 401K (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Somewhat hard to stay as full time though (in 5 reviews)

• Human Resources does not help either and are just protecting senior leadership (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

17 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

I enjoyed my time there

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Denver, CO

I worked at Transamerica

Pros

I had a very good supervisor.

Cons

I was tired of being on the phone all the time. Not a lot of advancement opportunities.

Intermediate Service Rep - Denver

Former Employee - Intermediate Service Representative in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Intermediate Service Representative in Denver, CO

I worked at Transamerica

Pros

No pros that I can think of.

Cons

Employees are treated as expendable. Highest turnover I've ever seen. Low pay compared to similar positions with other companies. Your entire job is based on a metric system that someone in their Cedar Rapids, IA office, who's never performed the job, developed. If your too slow at processing, you'll be fired. If you make too many mistakes, you'll be fired. Basically, you have to process your work as fast as you can without making any mistakes. Common sense tells most people that the faster you go, the more mistakes you will make, which will take more time to fix, but the management at Transamerica seems to be lacking in the common sense department. They'd rather just keep firing employees and hiring replacements who will just have the same problems as the last employee. Turn and burn. And then they wonder why moral is low in the department. Gee, I wonder why?. This is not a long term job, there is little to no advancement opportunities and there are more politics then D.C. Don't waste your time as I did with this company. Would have given it 0 stars if I could have.

You will never have high moral with high turnover. If you even care.

Good Employer

I worked at Transamerica full-time

Pros

Good environment, culture. Company seems open to self betterment

Cons

Lots of politics in getting promoted

Highly Satisfied!

Current Employee - Internal Wholesaler in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Internal Wholesaler in Denver, CO

I have been working at Transamerica full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Positive work environment where most coworkers are willing to help work together as a team. Some management is asleep at the wheel but my manager is awesome!

Cons

You need to be willing to put in the daily effort to be successful. If you are not highly motivated to succeed or need constant encouragement from your manager you may become overwhelmed.

Continue on the path you're following. Being honest with your clients and employees builds strong loyalty.

Awesome Company, great environment, fun people

Former Employee - Marketing Intern in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Marketing Intern in Denver, CO

I worked at Transamerica as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

The environment at the office was great, very casual yet still competitive enough to encourage success. I felt welcome from day one.

Cons

Did not always have something to do which made some of the days go by really slowly. Also, the pay was not great, but I was able to look past that as I was only an intern.

Extremely dysfunctional and backwards corporate environment

Current Employee - Marketing in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Marketing in Denver, CO

I have been working at Transamerica full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

For some reason the company seems to be doing well. Provides a steady paycheck and pays the bills. There is some room for growth if you are politically in favor.

Cons

The culture sucks. A lot of cronyism and a lot of workplace bullies. Most of management is grossly under qualified which breeds insecurity among all ranks within the company. Management treats employees like 5 year olds. The company is run like a true evil empire. They do not value their employees and the benefits are pretty poor for the industry.

It starts with leadership.

The absolute worse place I have ever worked in my lifetime

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I worked at Transamerica full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I don't believe there are any.

Cons

Where do I start? Very poor leadership. A mecca of nepotism. If you are not in the "in crowd" forget it. Also, each department is run by a salesperson. Most of the leaders came from the sales desk, which before and after they become a leader the sale desk person is treated awful...and once they get off the desk they forget where they came from. No training for management - so there is a huge liability for the company.

Stop trying to compete with asset managers. All of your leaders just say what you want to hear. Of course this is true - they are all sales people. I actually think it's sad that you have no clue what is going on and how people are threatened and treated so badly. Leaders just will not admit what they don't know..and since they only have sales experience, that's a lot. And of course, with sales people come huge egos - no exception at this place.

Unfair quality & production standards that are impossible to meet.

Former Employee - Operations Associate in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Operations Associate in Denver, CO

I worked at Transamerica

Pros

Good location, decent benefits, some nice coworkers. Customer service week which culminates in going to a baseball game. Fun Xmas party. Frequent potlucks. Occasional company paid lunches.

Cons

Company has unrealistic quality & production standards which creates very frequent firing of employees. The employee's hard work, dedication or experience doesn't count. Transamerica wants robots, not people. An employee is unable to feel secure as one's work is judged each month. If I had to do it again knowing what I do now, I never would've taken the job.

Please take a look at the operations department. Constant inexperienced workers are ultimately hurting the company. Also please eliminate the booze cart at the end of each successful quarter. Providing beer isn't the answer to having satisfied employees--perhaps job stability is.

great place to work

I worked at Transamerica

Pros

good people
    frequent access to senior management
    managers focus on coaching
    hard work gets rewarded

Cons

may have to leave Denver for advancement opportunities
    needs a bigger training department

I hear more positive news - additional training programs and promotions. Keep up the good work of investing in your people.

Good colleagues and product marketing efforts, hamstrung by mediocre Operations managers, and disloyal Sales Chief Exec.

I worked at Transamerica

Pros

If you are part of a good internal and external team, you can build up your territorial relationships, even with lost momentum due to prior sales territorial challenges. The name recognition and marketing literature is excellent, and a help to your expansion plans.

Cons

Be prepared to get written up and let go if you are not drinking buddies with the AVPs. The Aegon structure is stovepiped; with little cross pollination and even less opportunity to change Divisions, even if the opportunities are there and the knowledge gained is valuable in life business, retirement products, or group benefit consulting areas of Aegon.

In order to become a first tier company, you need to upgrade post-sale service and operations efforts, and accept the fact that a first tier effort requires a first tier Sales management that can develop Regional Vice Presidents within their territories, rather than the current three year "Hero to "Who are You again?" cycles the Divisional Sales Managers are forced to follow with their RVPs.