Transamerica

Updated September 28, 2014
2.6

Transamerica President and CEO Mark W. Mullin
Mark W. Mullin

Pros
  • Good benefits, especially based on tenure (in 12 reviews)

• Decent benefits packages (other than health insurance - see cons) (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Human Resources does not help either and are just protecting senior leadership (in 5 reviews)

• Somewhat hard to stay as full time though (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Great company to work for.

Former Employee - Software Development Intern  in  Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Software Development Intern in Dallas, TX

I worked at Transamerica as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Flexible time to work. Nice environment.

Cons

Almost no face to face meetings.

Mostly Rewarding

I worked at Transamerica full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The people were the best thing about the company. They also have a pretty descent retirement, 401K etc..

Cons

constant restructure has caused many to lose sight of the vision...makes it hard to tell exactly what direction the company is headed, given the constant changes

Listen to employees more instead of having a survey just for the sake of having one. Put more stock and value in the long term employees...Upper Management appears to be out of touch and seems to be more concerned about the bottom line than the people.

A company you can make a difference at and with!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Cedar Rapids, IA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cedar Rapids, IA

I have been working at Transamerica full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Career opportunities, pay for performance, community involvement, strong brand, customer focus, investment in digital and social, changing and innovating with the times and not just accepting to be an insurance industry dinosaur, focused business portfolio, strong leadership team

Cons

401k match percentage 3% with cash balance pension plan, not failing enough at innovating but innovation is happening

Kick the tires with the front line employees, invest heavily in technology

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good Employer

Former Employee - Internal Wholesaler  in  Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Internal Wholesaler in Denver, CO

I worked at Transamerica full-time

Pros

Good environment, culture. Company seems open to self betterment

Cons

Lots of politics in getting promoted

Poor Management

Current Employee - Senior Digital Marketing Manager  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Digital Marketing Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Transamerica full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

flexible work hours. work from home, short Friday hours during the summer, employee appreciation week. subsidized mass transit monthly passes.

Cons

overly conservative culture. years behind technologically, difficult to advance career, very low pay.

Hire more capable middle managers. The lady I report to knows nothing of her job. She relies on her direct report to teach her what she should already know.

Overall, well organized company.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Transamerica full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Flexibility with schedule/Time off/Work Remotely
    TA tries to create a culture that is both productive and fun
    Community outreach programs
    TA tries to encourage employees to be active and involved in the progression of the business
    Offers in house training and employee development trainigs
    Employees are open to help each other

Cons

Salary is lower than most companies
    Location
    Personal/Professional growth is sometimes missed by management - they are usually in their own world and rely heavily on the employee to flash their accomplishments to achieve recognition
    Man's club

Financial advisor

I have been working at Transamerica part-time

Pros

Unlimited commission potential, friendly work environment

Cons

no base salary, takes long time to start

Great company if you have the right manager!

Current Employee - Analyst  in  Plano, TX
    Current Employee - Analyst in Plano, TX

I have been working at Transamerica full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Excellent insurance education program. Good benefits, especially based on tenure. Overall company values are excellent, however, in practice it depends on the management of your department.

Cons

Difficult to transfer departments within the company. Immediate Supervisor has too much control over your future. Company stock has suffered for years.

There is a HUGE gap between what upper management publishes and what is happening in the trenches.

Unprofessional and Unorganized.

Former Employee - Build Room Tech  in  Cedar Rapids, IA
    Former Employee - Build Room Tech in Cedar Rapids, IA

I worked at Transamerica as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

I got into my position quickly. There wasn't any delay in getting started.

Cons

I was hired for the build room position via Randstad. Other than a quick lunch to determine pay and start date, I had no actual interview. I was simply given the job. The job description was verbally given by the staffing agency. I was to be building PCs for users at Transamerica. I was also to have training from my first assigned boss and the person previously in my position who was still at the company. Upon arriving at the job, I discovered it was nothing more than a mail room position. "Building" the PCs only involved accessing the F12 menu at boot and kicking of an image. 95% of my day was pulling PCs from the build benches, putting them in boxes and having them shipped to offices. Making the situation worse, the build image was being updated due to problems with everything from proper resolution to loading the actual OS. That problem, was never resolved and lead to the benches being filled with PCs that could not be built. So, the one technical aspect of my job was no longer doable. I was also not provided with any admin rights other than a dummy account. I had no access to DNS, SCCM, or other important factors needed to actually build PCs. But, I guess that didn't matter as that was not actually my job. I was a mail room attendant in the end. I gave my two weeks and with one day to go, arrived at the job to find that my user account had been disabled. However, I was still able to get through security to reach my office/computer. My managers were surprised to find this out as they stated it left them in an "awkward" position where they actually had to tell me that my job was ending a day early because they decided it was "only a day and a half of pay" and figured it wouldn't matter since I had another job lined up.

Do not allow staffing agencies to "sell" positions by lying about what the actually is. Provide a legitimate job description and actually provide that job.

NFL Analogy

I have been working at Transamerica

Pros

You will learn valuable job search skills after you get laid off, which will lead to a much better job at a much better company

Cons

Let’s pretend that the fund company is an NFL football team, and the team is a Super Bowl contender every year. One day the team’s owner decides to change the head coach for a coach who has broad sports experience, but no football experience. “My broad experience is good, and this team costs too much, and therefore I have a plan to field a competitive team at a lower price” says the new coach, to the delight of the owner and the front office. So, a decision is made to fire all the football players, after all, they are so one-dimensional, and hire runners, bicyclists, swimmers, people with no football skills, but wide-range sports backgrounds, and this appeals to the front office as it has no football background either. This plan looks like such a winner, the assistant coach promotes a cheerleader who he likes to be second-string quarterback. “Can’t be that hard,” he said, “plus she will be happy with me on our road games.”

The front office then discovers it has a problem – not enough players, no one knows how to block, tackle and run the ball, and these new players are more expensive. “You did not tell us we needed 11 players on the field,” the front office wined, “nor did we realize that our players need to be big, strong and fast.” “And, to boot, the NFL may be upset, and could fine us and take away our cushy jobs.” Quite a predicament for the front office, especially after they just got a big raise! The solution – “bring our rugby team over to the football team, they are big, strong and fast, even if they don’t know how to play football we will have our 11 players on the field.” “Hooray, now the football team has enough players, and they even look like football players.”

But, the front office is still not happy. Costs are out of control, the team is not winning, and the biggest concern is that the NFL may be snooping around. So, the front office takes drastic measures – they transfer the head coach and assistant coach. Ouch, what a punishment! The head coach and assistant coach are now with their NBA team, and have just announced that they are planning an initiative to reduce cost while maintaining a competitive team. The players, who consistently make the playoffs, for some reason are starting to move to other teams. Not to worry, there are plenty of cheerleaders and runners out there who can help.

If you want to win at football, use football players and football coaches

Worked for Transamerica? Contribute to the Community!