Transcend Services

Transcend Services President, CEO and Chairman Larry G. Gerdes

Larry G. Gerdes

Nice people, poor pay

Medical Transcriptionist (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsVery nice people to work for, wonderful about flex time to take care of family needs.

ConsDoing about 95% editing....have seen a huge drop in my income since editing volume has gone up, and I do have good editing skills! No raises, very high deductibles for health insurance ($2500 unless you buy-up to $1000 deductible for much higher premiums).

Advice to Senior ManagementGive us more than verbal encouragement...we need to and deserve to make a good wage for the skills we possess and the responsibility we carry. Give raises to employees who are doing exceptional work!

Don't work here!!!

Medical Transcriptionist (Former Employee)

ProsNot many, a variety of work.

ConsThis is a terrible place to work. The managers and QA people degraded me so much, that I felt like I was a terrible transcriptionist, even after 30 years. I knew I had more experience than any of them. I ended up being fired for a totally trivial reason, something my current manager set up. I was so beat up by them, I didn't apply for any jobs until just recently. To my surprise, many companies wanted to hire me and I was hired immediately by a nice company who treats their transcriptionists well, and never degrades them. It's the kind of place I used to work for when I liked doing transcription. I wouldn't advise anyone working for this company. Even though Transcend has merged with Nuance, I'm sure they are still the same awful people since many of the Transcend employees went to work for Nuance.

Advice to Senior ManagementQuit degrading the transcriptionists since they pay your salary, QA's salary, and everyone elses. You don't deserve to have anyone work for you.

Horrible place to work.

Medical Transcriptionist (Former Employee) Olympia, WA

ProsThere is a variety of dictation.

ConsPay is bad. Supervisors and team leaders treat transcriptionists badly. Overly critical of all work. Many foreign dictators, but you don't get paid extra or them even though they take twice as long. Favoritism is shown to some workers and they are the only ones who ever get promotions. Work is not distributed fairly, some people get all the easy work, others get all the bad dictators. Management does not listen to transcriptionist's ideas. You never get a raise. Transcend is now involved in a class action suit for not paying minimum wage. 706 previous transcriptionists are involved. It is slave labor and people are very unhappy. I was fired for no reason after 3-1/2 years because one of the supervisors didn't like me and told the QA staff to find lots of mistakes in my work so she could. QA audits are very inconsistent. If you are liked, you get a good score, if not, then you get a bad score and are threatened frequently with termination.

Advice to Senior ManagementQuit treating people like slave labor. Transcription is difficult and someone who has that skill should be treated with respect and be paid accordingly. You should be ashamed that 706 transcriptionists were so unhappy working for you that they are suing the company.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

not what it used to be

Medical Transcriptionist (Former Employee) Atlanta, GA

Proswork from home with some flexibility. a great tech department, always helpful, always knowledgable, prompt response to problems. I had a good team lead, very understanding of family issues going on at one time and willing to work with needed flexibility.

Conscomplete isloation from coworkers and communication amongst us not encouraged. no bennies or paid time off for part timers. pay 100% for your own equipment including computer, virus protection, 100%, yet work programs not compatible with common browsers. LOUSY pay.

Advice to Senior Managementpay your people, especially experienced ones who are hard to replace.

Very bad place to work. Unfair, poor wages.

Medical Transcriptionist (Former Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsThey seemed Ok when I first started 3-1/2 years ago, but then changed.

ConsVery poor wages. Extremely critical of everything you do and use QA reviews to threaten and terrorize transcriptionists. Always talking about termination. They ended up firing me out of the blue because they said I had a low QA score. The supervisor for the account I worked on decided she didn't like me so did everything she could to get rid of me, lied about my QA score, had one of her pets in QA find every nitpicky thing wrong with my reports to bring down my score. She said I committed a HIPPA violation by putting down the wrong doctor name as a copy, but I have no way to check those names and the doctor who said the name was a foreigner and didn't spell it. It seems the hospital where the dictation is going is the one responsible for checking to see the the names were right since they have the charts. When I was fired, I told my boss I would be homeness in a couple of weeks and that I have multiple sclerosis. Her response was, "Too bad." What kind of people say that? I worked for this compan 3-1/2 years so how could all of a sudden my work not be good enough? I sure made a lot of money for them. The transcriptionists at this company pay everyone's wages from the CEO down, but everyone treats them like garbage and constantly threaten them to do more work. This is a really bad company. Favortism is shown to a few and they advance. Everyone else is ignored.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn how to respect the transcriptionists' who pay your wages.

Very poor money and they were always criticizing one's work.

Medical Language Specialist (Former Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsNone. I have absolutely none.

ConsLow pay. 4 cents a line....just about minimum wage for transcription when I used to make more than $60,000 per year!

Advice to Senior ManagementNone.

nice ladies at least don't have to deal with attitude.

Medical Transcriptionist (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsFlexible schedule and nice ladies.

ConsAs with all transcription services these days, the pay nothing more than slave labor. Unable to earn a decent living. Making half what I earned just a couple of years ago and working twice as hard. Transcription is more difficult with more ESL doctors.

Advice to Senior ManagementUnderstand that the MLS is the one working hard for everyone's own salary yet we can't earn enough to live on - give us a break too - pay a reasonable amount.

Decent company

MLS (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsThe ability to flex shifts is great.

ConsBetter insurance options at more competitive prices. Deductibles are outrageous for the every-day working man/woman...

Advice to Senior ManagementAnnual pay raises.

Awful, awful, awful.

Mte (Former Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsFlexible, decent hospitals, not-bad dictators.

ConsHorrible pay, software, and management.

Advice to Senior ManagementPAY MORE.

Expected better from this company

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsFlexibility in schedule, time off when needed.

ConsI thought this company would be far more organized than it is. I get tired of trying to keep up who my supervisor is from week to week. If there is plenty of work, things are decent but there are times when there is not enough work and that means you end up not meeting the minimum salary requirements so they take away your PTO time and benefits so you have to pretty much try to work around the clock to make your salary requirement when that happens. There is no team communication so you feel like you are pretty much on your own and forget getting an answer when you need it. No reviews with salary raises either, if you want to make more money you have to work more hours. The only reason I am making a decent line rate is because of the company I worked for before it merged with Transcend.

Advice to Senior ManagementThis company needs to find a way to get better organized and the teams need to have better comunication. Offer some incentives to the MLS and have a proper training system in place with trainers that actually know what they are doing.

Worked for Transcend Services? Contribute to the Community!