Transcontinental Printing

Updated May 29, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Rastar was good to me.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Salt Lake City, UT

ProsEverything from entry level at $10 per hour to professorial level. Quite a few people have been with the company for 5-10 years. And were able to go up the ladder.

ConsAs a long trim employee the buy out - Trans Continental was rough, but that has probably blown over by now.

Just a job until something better came along

Fremont, CA

ProsIt was a job that provided medical benefits for my family.
    Vacation and sick time is accrued from date of hire and can be used after three months.

ConsMedical and dental benefits are expensive relative to the low pay.
    Most employees are not compensated fairly for the amount of work they do.
    Pay raises are not given as or when promised.
    12+ hour days, sometimes with no break or lunch.
    Not always compensated for missed breaks or lunches.
    Incompetent management unsure how to run the plant.
    Management refuses to discipline employees who harass others.

Advice to Senior ManagementFire everyone and start over. Theres no fixing this otherwise.

Talk the talk and don't walk the walk

Fremont, CA

ProsPeople - most are decent, some exceptionally cranky. Some have great unrealistic expectations. Lots of talk about training training. Some long term employees 5, 10, 30 years.

ConsPoor management, probably one of the worst organizations I have worked for and that is saying a lot. Fanatical about time attendance, cost savings, staff reductions. Most office workers work long long hours. Lots of turnover. It's a seat of the pants operation no matter where you work. Lots of SOPs.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet yourself together, focus on the important things, don't waste everyone's time. Be responsible - don't pass it off on others. Stop the knee jerk reactions.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Not the best job, but a job.

Fremont, CA

ProsPay was decent- starting is a little over $16 + you get overtime. People are great if they stick around. Learned a lot.

ConsReally High turnover rate. Killer hours- 12 hr shifts from 230-3 am or pm. Work as hard as you want, but you most likely won't get a pay increase.

Advice to Senior ManagementChange the hours, 12 hour shifts get tiring fast.

Dishonest company that exploits its workers!!!

Fremont, CA

ProsGood starting pay, and an interesting optional way of getting bonuses by working on projects for a few months

Cons-Worked 12 1/2 hr shifts, and RARELY got ANY of my three 15 minute breaks when paper jobs were running, and missed lunches on a regular basis with the other production technicians. Missed or first lunch was compensated with "one hour lunch rewards, " but if a second lunch was missed/late/waived, we would not be compensated with a one hours pay--as required by California law. This was the "norm" if you were a production technician in the press area(which almost everybody on the floor was), and senior production technicians and supervisors ram it in your throat on day one, Always felt guilt tripped to not take a break, because there is no coverage whatsoever.

-Rima machines for paper jobbing and stacking were awful on the post press area. Hundreds-thousands of paper were on the floor on a regular basis. Even the most experienced production technicians and supervisors couldn't control it.

-During all the months I've worked here, I've seen and heard several injures/accidents occur from my fellow employees, but I've NEVER seen the "X days since an accident occur" sign reset to zero! Incredibly dishonest!!!

Advice to Senior ManagementI say this in the most polite way as possible: Get your ***** together. Give your production technician employees and supervisors enough coverage during production hours so that they get ALL their breaks and lunches--or if they miss it, they must be compensated properly for each break and lunch missed/waived. Also, if a workplace accident occurs, reset the timer, instead of intentionally not in an obvious effort to make the company "look good."

Frustrating company to work for.

Fremont, CA

ProsThe company has bi-yearly bonuses, and a minimum of eight hours overtime with some positions.

ConsA few of the cons are: earned raises are not being given, "set" schedules are constantly being drasticly changed, poor communication on all levels, lack of experienced operators, and no training for unexperienced operators, and poor maintance is leading to failing equipment...

misaligned priorities

Pressman (Former Employee)
    Warminster, PA

Proswas encouraged to share ideas with management

ConsIdeas were either not utilized or recognition was never given.
    Acquisition mindset led to mis-communication between departments and procedures were never optimized for both proficiency and quality.
    Management did not create an environment of upward mobility: little mentorship towards job improvement and taking on additional responsibilities

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to develop your employees through offering educational seminars and teaming with GATF.

Good at the biggining nut now no advancement in printing shop

News Paper Printer (Current Employee)
    Gatineau, QC (Canada)

ProsGroup inssurance, Retirement plan. good salary

ConsLong hours, noise, stress

Advice to Senior ManagementMore respect to the oldest workers,

Canada's largest printer has seen exponential growth and struggles adapting

Production Planning (Current Employee)
    Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsAs Canada's largest printer TC has access to all types of print production and almost unlimited resources to achieve any goals.

ConsTC has grown at such a pace that it has not had sufficient time to prepare. The processes required to make projects happen are not in place. There is too much disconnect between departments and very few individuals know how a job cycles from begin to end.

Advice to Senior ManagementTime to change the DNA of this company from a small one to a large one.

No promotion opportunities at this company

Technician (Current Employee)
    Saskatoon, SK (Canada)

ProsGood salary. 3 week holiday after 3 years.

ConsShift work.. Company that doesn't recognize good employees.

Advice to Senior Managementnone

Worked for Transcontinental Printing? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Transcontinental Printing reviews and ratings. All 14 reviews posted anonymously by Transcontinental Printing employees.