Transfield Services Reviews

1. Review of my time at Transfield Services 2009 to 2011

Former Employee - Staff Accountant in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Staff Accountant in Dallas, TX

I worked at Transfield Services

Pros

Large company, opportunity to learn solid financial management principles, good pay

Cons

Antiquated ERP system which is a pain to use, drastically varying culture dependent on location, some much less professional than others....

Consider organisational culture before acquiring various facilties

2. Good company, safety oriented, pleasant management

Current Employee - Maintenance Fitter in Adelaide (Australia)
    Current Employee - Maintenance Fitter in Adelaide (Australia)

I have been working at Transfield Services full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good safety record, family oriented management, career advancement opportunities,well paid positions, if you do your job properly, respectful management.

Cons

slow to act on vacant positions to fill so other workers have to pick up the pace while the selection criteria is worked out to fill the positions

there doing alright at the moment

3. Inspector

Former Contractor - Worker in Valencia, NM
    Former Contractor - Worker in Valencia, NM

I worked at Transfield Services as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

Work close to home, and good paying

Cons

Too many contracts not enough pros working for there company

Pay there fitters and welders a little more money and get rid of there less skilled people, do not promote so called boiler makes to pipe fitters with proven skills.

5. Worked through a agency as the pay was so poor.....the most negative environment, management with no human skills

Former Contractor - Stewart in Darwin (Australia)
    Former Contractor - Stewart in Darwin (Australia)

I worked at Transfield Services as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

At least I was paid each week only as I was with a agency......transfield staff were not paid for 6 weeks some got paid with no pay slip

Cons

Unprofessional to the extreme. No planning. Pay peanuts so get monkeys. Bullying my management. Expectations to be on call no thanks

See cons

6. Inexperienced people move up.

Current Employee - Millwright in Fort McMurray, AB (Canada)
    Current Employee - Millwright in Fort McMurray, AB (Canada)

I have been working at Transfield Services full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Steady pay check, 2 weeks on 2 off good shift.

Cons

Management in way over their heads. No communication what so ever. Any decent workers use this company as a stepping stone to going to work for another company. Nothing is done for appreciation of doing a good job.

Hire management that has qualifications

7. You deserve better - Telco NZ

Former Employee - Telecommunications Service Technician in Christchurch (New Zealand)

I worked at Transfield Services full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

At the technician level there is a lot of experience and knowledge, owing to the guys who have come out of th NZPO or from overseas.

Cons

Pay is very poor considering that it take 3 years to train and it is a skilled trade. pays between $23 and $27 per hour. typical is $25 which equals $50k per year. Senior management get into contracts by coming in cheap (it's a strategy) then fail to lead the organisation to a point where it is efficient and effective, and thus capable of making a profit. Instead they will soon after turn on the propaganda machine and advertise to all claims that the chorus monopoly had forced then to do a cheap deal and as such meant that turning a profit is hopeless. This helps them justify the low wages to staff (as TSL threaten redundancies if they were pushed). then they also seek to extract more money out of chorus mid contract. All in all there is enough money to do the job and pay staff well. TSL instead just take on a victim mentality and spend the whole contract focusing on how to cut costs and extract more $ from chorus. Rather than focusing on how to be effective efficient and maximize revenues.

optimize the business and pay staff a wage commensurate with their skills and abilities. Also stop shifting the blame onto chorus and look internally at what you can do to run a profitable organisation.

8. My experience with Transfield Services

Former Employee - Financial Accountant in Auckland (New Zealand)
    Former Employee - Financial Accountant in Auckland (New Zealand)

I worked at Transfield Services full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great company to work for. Good culture, lots of opportunities to learn and grow.

Cons

Volatile market as was based on the external contract. Unfortunate to loose the job because the Housing contract ended prematurely

Get rid of too many layer of mangement to cut cost and prompt decision making

9. Company going through significant change, need to be prepared for hard work

I worked at Transfield Services full-time (more than a year)

Pros

New CEO is taking company in the right direction
    Longer term will make company stronger
    Good people within the organisation, hard working and committed

Cons

Hard work and lots of resistance to change
    Not great pay
    No money for any kind of bonuses

Align salary with market expectations
    Move at faster pace to implement much needed changes to stabilise companies finances

10. I agree with prior comments - you need an Executive Level Sponsor, Large Bureaucratic machine - connections gallore

Former Employee - Financial Analyst in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Financial Analyst in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Transfield Services full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

ability to work internationally, learn about humans, SAP exposure, especially implementations

Cons

too much bureaucracy - you gotta be able to play the game and accept that some people are milking the company as much as they can, many cases when wives and other relatives are being employed on some amazing terms, they had to tighten up the belt in 2012-2014 but a lot of nepotism and unfairness still, some are on "workers comp" - especially in Australia, many people are lawyering up when they are made redundant/are laid odd... I was young and had idealistic view of the world and wanted to make the company better - worked 15 hour days, stupid girl, I am now almost 30 - looked back - was not worth it but I lived in a few countries while working for them so that is good. I was severely underpaid, the company transferred me and because I had a work visa - they knew they could keep me for cheap - it was embarrassing as I was the cheapest resource but I learnt acceptance and putting my EGO at bay but hey... very unfair treatment.. as so I know earn triple, crazy.

Continue milking while you can - money and greed rules the world I guess.... on your platform of existence

11. Rail sector

Former Employee - Plant/Equipment Operator in Adelaide (Australia)
    Former Employee - Plant/Equipment Operator in Adelaide (Australia)

I worked at Transfield Services full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Looks good only on website

Cons

Bad decisions, throwing money away...

Close this circus!!!!