Transfield Services

2.8

Transfield Services Managing Director and & CEO Graeme Hunt
Graeme Hunt

Graduate Engineer

Current Employee - Graduate Engineer in Sydney (Australia)
    Current Employee - Graduate Engineer in Sydney (Australia)

I have been working at Transfield Services as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Transfield Services is a great company to work with. Worked in a welcoming team and pay was rewarding. Supervisor was very helpful and more than willing to teach me anything i didn't know.

Cons

A few contracts at transfield services were lost and a lot of people are in the process of losing their jobs.

Great place to work!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Perth, Western Australia (Australia)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Perth, Western Australia (Australia)

I have been working at Transfield Services full-time (more than an year)

Pros

A great company. I've had many opportunities working with Transfield to help grow my career. I've been with the company for 2 years and it's one of the best places I've worked. I love the teams I've worked with, and the management. The company holds true to it's values.

Cons

Complaints throughout the company are regarding payroll and wages staff being paid incorrectly. I haven't been efffected but I know many who have. It's difficult to sell this comapny as a "great place to work" if people aren't getting paid!

I know that the company's payroll system is currently under review but we MUST get this right! We should also have better training systems in place. Perhaps a team dedicated to travelling to new contracts to show them the processes and how to find answers.

Boring

I worked at Transfield Services as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

They gave me a job when I needed one, HR were helpful, my direct manager was friendy and approachable.

Cons

The work was boring. To get the job required an engineering degree but used no engineering skills. The pay was less than other graduate roles and my supervisor (below manager) was incompetent and unable to lead.

If hiring for a leadership position make sure that person has experience in leading a team, can identify with the team and earn their respect and be able to get results which out hvaing to resort to 'cracking the whip'.

Poorly structured

Former Employee - Project Engineer
    Former Employee - Project Engineer

I worked at Transfield Services full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- Varied opportunities provided you are willing to take initiative
    - Good people at the front line
    - Great HSE culture

Cons

- Typical big company, top heavy and bureaucratic, poor organisation structure
    - Poor client relations
    - Apathetic middle management
    - First cost saving measure during the GFC was a stop on all training programs and graduate training, which seems very short sighted

- Focus on streamlining the company, reduce cost by reducing unnecessary management
    - Focus on retaining good employees and provide training

Good Start to the Grad Program

Current Employee - Graduate Engineer in Adelaide (Australia)
    Current Employee - Graduate Engineer in Adelaide (Australia)

I have been working at Transfield Services

Pros

Encourage Grads to rotate at 6-12 month frequency

Offer international rotations

Cons

Senior management seems to have its head in the right place but the business as a whole seems to not really know who it is. Lacks a focus.

OK starting salary bit 3% annual increase in pay barely competitive with CPI

Good potential

Former Employee - Strategy Analyst in Sydney (Australia)
    Former Employee - Strategy Analyst in Sydney (Australia)

I worked at Transfield Services

Pros

There are some potentials working on strategy side as the Company has a large portfolio of business and investment. Some operate good while a few of them perform poorly which needs good strategy guidance and adjustment.

Cons

The management team needs great development on experience in a global company management.

Grow organically and don't put too much emphasis on M&A. Please improve the core capabilities of business development and winning contracts.