Transmeta Reviews

3.5

Les Crudele

Once a great place - run into the ground by a combination of market circumstances and mismanagement at the top.

I worked at Transmeta

Pros

During it's heyday Transmeta was a great place to work. Great group of talented people, great work environment, lot's of focus and sense of a common goal - designing a microprocessor. There were management opportunities. Managers were all very personable, helpful, and allowed the necessary space for people to get the job done.

Cons

When Transmeta got out of the processor business and into design services, things went down hill. But they had no choice, as they weren't able to compete against Intel. Leadership was doing what it could, after not being able to succeed at design services, they got a new CEO and went into IP after trimming 75% of the work force. The new CEO really lacked vision anad he forced the company's visionary out, and that was the beginning of the end. Lack of vision during the last 2 years.

None - simply the wrong person for the job.

Once a wonderful place to work before it collapsed

Former Employee - Director Human Resources in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Director Human Resources in Austin, TX

I worked at Transmeta part-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The benefits and pay were very good. There was also good collaboration and a great group of people to work with.

Cons

Transmeta was initially a darling of the financial community; however, over time with management and technology problems the company began to shrink. It just could not stay ahead of competition.

Good pay, spoilt company

Former Employee - Marketing in Santa Clara, CA
    Former Employee - Marketing in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at Transmeta

Pros

Good pay for the amount of work, used to have lots of smart people, everyone gets an office (no cubes)

Cons

Never executed well, too many senior leadership transitions, cannot compete against industry leaders, fragmented business models that never caught on

Give money back to investors and close shop

A terrific company run into the ground

I worked at Transmeta

Pros

I worked in a great team, not a political environment, at least not among engineers, except for LongRun2 group.

Cons

The management just can't make realistic schedules. Then there is the company lawyer, the source of all evil.

Stop extracting money into your own pockets, think about the company and its employees!

Really enjoyed working there.

Former Employee - Smts in Santa Clara, CA
    Former Employee - Smts in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at Transmeta

Pros

Smart people, very friendly environment. I worked with people who were really dedicated, and loved the technology of computers, and computing systems. Probably worked with the smartest people of my career there.

Cons

I didn't see any major downsides when there

-- no answer for this

Transmeta -- Great in its heyday

Former Employee - Member of Technical Staff in Santa Clara, CA
    Former Employee - Member of Technical Staff in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at Transmeta

Pros

Fantastically cool technology and top-notch technical people during its heyday in the microprocessor business. There's still some top talent there in power management, if that's your thing.

Cons

The company was unable to gain traction in its original market, and has greatly downsized and exited the line of business that made the company such a great place to work in its heyday. I really can't speak for what it's like working at the "new" Transmeta following its exit from the microprocessor business.

It's a bit late to give advice on how to run the microprocessor business. Given the failure there, it looks like the new management probably did the right thing in downsizing, but I left the company before the company switched to an IP licensing and power management business exclusively.