Transocean

Be The First To
Add Photos

Transocean President & CEO Steven L. Newman

Steven L. Newman

Pros
  • Good pay, good people, they actually care about your family (in 5 reviews)

• Good people, good salary and excellent Benefits, good working environment (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • And WRA shelf drilling killed all persons activities which you built (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights
23 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

“It was best place to work!”

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsTransocean was the best place to work. Good people, good salary and excellent Benefits, good working environment. It was in top 100 best working place for several years.

Consgoing through restructuring. Laying off a lot people and may be more.

Good company

Senior Technical Specialist (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsEnjoyed the work and the technology.

ConsEmployees did not seem to be valued as much as consultants. I was an expense...just a price.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on the long-term future of the company...not just short-term profits for shareholders.

PT Student Worker/Intern: HQ Corporate Legal Department Houston, TX

Student Worker/Intern - Legal Filing (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsI really enjoyed working here part-time for a few months while I was in college. The legal and corporate executives were very friendly people who allowed me to keep a flexible schedule around my classes.

In sum, I appreciated:
    Friendly people
    Flexible schedule - I created my own
    Nice corporate office
    Great central location

My supervisor always made sure I put my academics first and would check in to make sure I had a good balance in my schedule between work and school. I could take time off or change my work hours when I needed to - no questions asked.

ConsNo real big downsides that I can recall, however I was not employed full time or permanently so my experience is limited.

I imagine that if I worked in the C-suite over a long time could get boring? I'm personally not a classic "corporate exec type".

Advice to Senior ManagementN/A

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Extremely top heavy management

Manager, Corporate Planning (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsGood pay and benefits and generally nice people, though competence is a minor criteria for promotion, mimicking and praising your boss being far more important.

ConsAt the shore based HQS, it is almost impossible to convince management to listen, much less act. All authority resides at least two management levels above responsibility. Managers are required to make most decisions and not allowed to delegate. There is virtually no numerical analysis, most discussions about key issues start with " how do you FEEL?" . Thus, most decisions are made by managers who don't have or don't fully understand the facts, and based on gut feeling rather than facts.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn the basics of avoiding poor decisions by basing key decisions on analysis.

Overall a place that I enjoyed working at and would go back to if the right opportunity ever arose.

Workflow Coordinator (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsSome of the best people I've ever worked with. They were knowledgeable, friendly, and a great source for information. I still keep in contact with a few of them.

ConsMost managers are disconnected with their employees and do not communicate effectively with their subordinates. Job security is unstable.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn to connect with your employees and do not favor people you know that have zero experience for others that deserve better.

Overall decent as a contractor

IT Applications Developer (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsPay is good. Work environment is good.

ConsDo not want to hire full time programmers

Advice to Senior ManagementShow more respect to contractors who in many cases have been working on projects longer than most employees.

People really do come first.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsGreat mentality of personnel, very team driven, very little administrative overhead (timesheets, status reports) to get in the way of productively achieving goals; management supports any time required for personal/family issues that may need to be resolved.

ConsA bit silo'd in departments, some 'us vs. them' goes on; lack of standard processes throughout creates redundancy in efforts from time to time; uncertainty over future with restructuring has affected morale.

Some decisions leave you scratching your head???

Manager (Individual Contributor) (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsCompensation is at the mid to upper end of the market

ConsMove internal leaders around way too much causing disruptions for employees and customers. Lack of consistent vision.

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow leaders to stay in roles long enough to implement their ideas and evaluate if they were a success or not. Put leaders in roles where they can use their expertise to advance the function as opposed to being a learning experience for that leader at the expense of the people and customers of the function.

Great Company but uncertain Future

Finance/Operations (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsVery engaging CEO who still is figuring out a way to improve efficiency.
    Good business model with certain cash flow over the foreseeable future.
    Striving for SAFETY and employees well being is cared about.

Consgoing through restructuring. Laying of 1500 people and may be more if they cannot achieve $300M savings.
    Lots of bureacracy.
    Too many Vice Presidents

Advice to Senior ManagementGet back to basics and make Rig Manager responsible and accountable. Give him the responsibility but also the authority to make decisions.
    Why do you Operations Managers and a Business Unit?

Transocean, the world best offshore drilling contractor...Incident free all the time everywhere...

Manager (Individual Contributor) (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsTransocean has the best equipment, technologies, and passionate people...

ConsOffshore drilling is a cycle industry. Be prepare for all challenges....

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on Operation Integity, Operation Excellent, Project Excellent , Profitability.

Worked for Transocean? Contribute to the Community!