Transocean Offshore Deepwater Drilling

Transocean Offshore Deepwater Drilling Reviews

Updated Jul 13, 2014

Good with great benefits

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsJob security, with this being the largest drilling company in the world employees can feel comfortable maintaining a job.

Consa lot of knee-jerk reactions toward safety policies, procedures and PPE

More of the same

ProsThe pay isn't top of its class for the industry, but all O&G pays well.
    21 day rotation.

ConsMy perception is that the company as a whole is not doing as well as it used to which brings about the fears of stability. All offices are downsizing.
    They want to train you up. Unless it's not in the budget. Which it isn't.
    Every rig behaves differently.

Advice to Senior ManagementEveryone offshore is leaving for different companies In droves. The safety of the rig becomes questionable when overall employee experience and proven competency drops.
    Can we fix that?

Was great, until 2014

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsFlex schedule and benefits are good.

ConsHR plays favoritism. If you are not in HR, you will likely never get a decent raise or promotion. But if you are in HR and are liked, you can get 10-20 percent raises, while everyone else suffers. Transocean currently having big layoffs, with more to come. Used to be a fun place and I felt like family, but that feeling is gone for even those who remain.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A Company In Flux

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsGood benefits, nice offices and many nice and talented employees

ConsThe Company is in a major transition with extensive layoffs due to a restructure of its on-shore personnel and operations. Little effort expended to eliminate unnecessary tasks/functions, consolidate offices for cost savings or reduce/eliminate unnecessary expenditures. Focus is largely on eliminating people and putting them out of work. Very high rate of turnover Company wide

Horrible Management from the Top Down

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsBetter than average pay, good benefits.

ConsToo many VPs, too many people in management who have no business managing. Like anywhere else, promotions are based on whether or not management likes you, not on merit. In fact, employees promoted to management roles are incompetent with people and they can be quite abusive. There is a great deal of dysfunction and, now with the reduction in workforce, employees are either in fear of losing their jobs or they are leaving at an alarming rate. Finally, it appears that women are more likely than men to be hired for shore based positions.

Advice to Senior ManagementEvaluate management from a psychological perspective and kick out those who are incompetent as leaders. It would be of supreme value for senior management to clean house at the vp level.

Honesty is the best policy.

Project Manager (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsThe compensation was adequate but did not fully cover the safety risks.

ConsManagement was disconnected with the field positions in consideration of the hazards to the health and safety of personnel.

Advice to Senior ManagementSlow down and genuinely put personnel safety above profits.

Good experience but not people focused company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat people to work within each individual department. Great experiences and definitely an eye-opener. Headquarter facilities are nice with a company gym.

ConsManagement does not focus on employee development and comparability to the market when it comes to growth and benefits. Very outdated systems and processes.

Good

Human Resources (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsGlobal experience with diverse workforce;

ConsCompany lacks strategic direction; leadership; downsizing

Advice to Senior ManagementNeeds to value onshore employees

Poor

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsManagement need to focus on the employees potential and have more communication.

ConsToo much instability at this company, hiring and layoffs is like a game!

Great company to work for.

Manager (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsYou can learn a lot due to the sheer size and global reach of the company. The accounting & tax work are both complex & interesting. Good salary & benefits compared to peers.

ConsCurrently going thru workforce reduction - so uncertainty about job security.

Advice to Senior ManagementI actually believe management does a good job of communicating to us what can be communicated (given we are a public company),

Worked for Transocean Offshore Deepwater Drilling? Contribute to the Community!