Transocean Reviews

63 reviews filtered by
3.5
Transocean President & CEO Steven L. Newman
Steven L. Newman

Pros
  • Relatively good pay, flexible working schedules (in 6 reviews)

• Good people, good salary and excellent Benefits, good working environment (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • And WRA shelf drilling killed all persons activities which you built (in 4 reviews)

1. Motor Operator working on my Third assistant Engineering license

Current Employee - Motor Op/Unlicensed Junior Eng/Retired Navy in New Orleans, LA

I have been working at Transocean full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good job and company, good rotation 21 on and 21 off grate pay good benefits 401K

Cons

I hate flying but can live anywhere in the country.

Advice to Management

Really promote from within as the company preaches instead of out side the company new hires with no experience.

2. Maintenance Supervisor

I worked at Transocean full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good crews to work with during your time on the rigs.

Cons

Company has no direction and needs to purge.

Advice to Management

Ask your employees what is going on.

Favoritism, body body system

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Transocean

Pros

Ok salary, benefits, logistics. Could be a lot better without all the favoritism.

Cons

Hard to move up unless you make friends with ppl in upper management. I personally know someone who literally told me that he has a friend who's a big shot at the Houston office and he's making sure he's name its not on the list for layoffs. This guy it's also one of those ppl who's always trying to get out of doing any work. Always acting like he's busy only when the tool pusher it's around. Wish this company would get rid of sorry people like this. You see them in every rig. It's horrible.

Advice to Management

Stop putting your friend's ahead of actual competence. conflict of interest? Isn't that what is called?

OMG!

Former Employee - Doesn't Matter in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Doesn't Matter in Houston, TX

I worked at Transocean full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Salary, Benefits, Work Schedule. If you need to beef up your resume it's a good place to work.

Cons

Low morale. Lack of transparency, promotion of inept employees, favoritism, core values mean nothing, with the exception of safety. They have been going through layoff for 2 or 3 years and it's the older employees going first. Of course age discrimination can't be proved, right?

Advice to Management

Look at areas with the greatest turnover and address the problems, i.e., look for patterns. Pay attention to what employees do rather than what they say at all levels. If you can sense the low morale and you care do something about it. Happy employees are more productive and that adds to the company's bottom line.

“It was best place to work!”

I worked at Transocean full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Transocean was the best place to work. Good people, good salary and excellent Benefits, good working environment. It was in top 100 best working place for several years.

Cons

going through restructuring. Laying off a lot people and may be more.

Good company

Former Employee - Senior Technical Specialist in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Technical Specialist in Houston, TX

I worked at Transocean full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Enjoyed the work and the technology.

Cons

Employees did not seem to be valued as much as consultants. I was an expense...just a price.

Advice to Management

Focus on the long-term future of the company...not just short-term profits for shareholders.

8. PT Student Worker/Intern: HQ Corporate Legal Department Houston, TX

Current Employee - Student Worker/Intern - Legal Filing in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Student Worker/Intern - Legal Filing in Houston, TX

I have been working at Transocean part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I really enjoyed working here part-time for a few months while I was in college. The legal and corporate executives were very friendly people who allowed me to keep a flexible schedule around my classes.

In sum, I appreciated:
    Friendly people
    Flexible schedule - I created my own
    Nice corporate office
    Great central location

My supervisor always made sure I put my academics first and would check in to make sure I had a good balance in my schedule between work and school. I could take time off or change my work hours when I needed to - no questions asked.

Cons

No real big downsides that I can recall, however I was not employed full time or permanently so my experience is limited.

I imagine that if I worked in the C-suite over a long time could get boring? I'm personally not a classic "corporate exec type".

Advice to Management

N/A

9. Extremely top heavy management

Former Employee - Manager, Corporate Planning in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Manager, Corporate Planning in Houston, TX

I worked at Transocean full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good pay and benefits and generally nice people, though competence is a minor criteria for promotion, mimicking and praising your boss being far more important.

Cons

At the shore based HQS, it is almost impossible to convince management to listen, much less act. All authority resides at least two management levels above responsibility. Managers are required to make most decisions and not allowed to delegate. There is virtually no numerical analysis, most discussions about key issues start with " how do you FEEL?" . Thus, most decisions are made by managers who don't have or don't fully understand the facts, and based on gut feeling rather than facts.

Advice to Management

Learn the basics of avoiding poor decisions by basing key decisions on analysis.

10. Not too bad, not too good.

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I have been working at Transocean as a contractor

Pros

Great global company to work for. Morale was great. Helpful team, staff tenure - long, therefore helpful when problem solving. Overall great company.

Cons

Checks and balances in computer system not as strong as it ought to be. Work could be cumbersome as a result. Company culture difference between Transocean employee and Global Santa Fe.

Advice to Management

Invest in documenting processes.

11. Overall a place that I enjoyed working at and would go back to if the right opportunity ever arose.

Former Employee - Workflow Coordinator in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Workflow Coordinator in Houston, TX

I worked at Transocean full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some of the best people I've ever worked with. They were knowledgeable, friendly, and a great source for information. I still keep in contact with a few of them.

Cons

Most managers are disconnected with their employees and do not communicate effectively with their subordinates. Job security is unstable.

Advice to Management

Learn to connect with your employees and do not favor people you know that have zero experience for others that deserve better.