Transocean

Updated November 24, 2014
3.6

Transocean President & CEO Steven L. Newman
Steven L. Newman

Pros
  • Relatively good pay, flexible working schedules (in 6 reviews)

• Good people, good salary and excellent Benefits, good working environment (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • And WRA shelf drilling killed all persons activities which you built (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

“It was best place to work!”

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at Transocean full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Transocean was the best place to work. Good people, good salary and excellent Benefits, good working environment. It was in top 100 best working place for several years.

Cons

going through restructuring. Laying off a lot people and may be more.

OMG!

Former Employee - Doesn't Matter in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Doesn't Matter in Houston, TX

I worked at Transocean full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Salary, Benefits, Work Schedule. If you need to beef up your resume it's a good place to work.

Cons

Low morale. Lack of transparency, promotion of inept employees, favoritism, core values mean nothing, with the exception of safety. They have been going through layoff for 2 or 3 years and it's the older employees going first. Of course age discrimination can't be proved, right?

Look at areas with the greatest turnover and address the problems, i.e., look for patterns. Pay attention to what employees do rather than what they say at all levels. If you can sense the low morale and you care do something about it. Happy employees are more productive and that adds to the company's bottom line.

Good company

Former Employee - Senior Technical Specialist in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Technical Specialist in Houston, TX

I worked at Transocean full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Enjoyed the work and the technology.

Cons

Employees did not seem to be valued as much as consultants. I was an expense...just a price.

Focus on the long-term future of the company...not just short-term profits for shareholders.

PT Student Worker/Intern: HQ Corporate Legal Department Houston, TX

Current Employee - Student Worker/Intern - Legal Filing in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Student Worker/Intern - Legal Filing in Houston, TX

I have been working at Transocean part-time (less than an year)

Pros

I really enjoyed working here part-time for a few months while I was in college. The legal and corporate executives were very friendly people who allowed me to keep a flexible schedule around my classes.

In sum, I appreciated:
    Friendly people
    Flexible schedule - I created my own
    Nice corporate office
    Great central location

My supervisor always made sure I put my academics first and would check in to make sure I had a good balance in my schedule between work and school. I could take time off or change my work hours when I needed to - no questions asked.

Cons

No real big downsides that I can recall, however I was not employed full time or permanently so my experience is limited.

I imagine that if I worked in the C-suite over a long time could get boring? I'm personally not a classic "corporate exec type".

N/A

Extremely top heavy management

Former Employee - Manager, Corporate Planning in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Manager, Corporate Planning in Houston, TX

I worked at Transocean full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good pay and benefits and generally nice people, though competence is a minor criteria for promotion, mimicking and praising your boss being far more important.

Cons

At the shore based HQS, it is almost impossible to convince management to listen, much less act. All authority resides at least two management levels above responsibility. Managers are required to make most decisions and not allowed to delegate. There is virtually no numerical analysis, most discussions about key issues start with " how do you FEEL?" . Thus, most decisions are made by managers who don't have or don't fully understand the facts, and based on gut feeling rather than facts.

Learn the basics of avoiding poor decisions by basing key decisions on analysis.

Not too bad, not too good.

I have been working at Transocean as a contractor

Pros

Great global company to work for. Morale was great. Helpful team, staff tenure - long, therefore helpful when problem solving. Overall great company.

Cons

Checks and balances in computer system not as strong as it ought to be. Work could be cumbersome as a result. Company culture difference between Transocean employee and Global Santa Fe.

Invest in documenting processes.

Overall a place that I enjoyed working at and would go back to if the right opportunity ever arose.

Former Employee - Workflow Coordinator in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Workflow Coordinator in Houston, TX

I worked at Transocean full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Some of the best people I've ever worked with. They were knowledgeable, friendly, and a great source for information. I still keep in contact with a few of them.

Cons

Most managers are disconnected with their employees and do not communicate effectively with their subordinates. Job security is unstable.

Learn to connect with your employees and do not favor people you know that have zero experience for others that deserve better.

Overall decent as a contractor

Current Employee - IT Applications Developer in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - IT Applications Developer in Houston, TX

I have been working at Transocean as a contractor (more than 8 years)

Pros

Pay is good. Work environment is good.

Cons

Do not want to hire full time programmers

Show more respect to contractors who in many cases have been working on projects longer than most employees.

People really do come first.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at Transocean full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great mentality of personnel, very team driven, very little administrative overhead (timesheets, status reports) to get in the way of productively achieving goals; management supports any time required for personal/family issues that may need to be resolved.

Cons

A bit silo'd in departments, some 'us vs. them' goes on; lack of standard processes throughout creates redundancy in efforts from time to time; uncertainty over future with restructuring has affected morale.

Some decisions leave you scratching your head???

Current Employee - Manager (Individual Contributor) in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Manager (Individual Contributor) in Houston, TX

I have been working at Transocean full-time

Pros

Compensation is at the mid to upper end of the market

Cons

Move internal leaders around way too much causing disruptions for employees and customers. Lack of consistent vision.

Allow leaders to stay in roles long enough to implement their ideas and evaluate if they were a success or not. Put leaders in roles where they can use their expertise to advance the function as opposed to being a learning experience for that leader at the expense of the people and customers of the function.