Transport Corporation of America

Updated Jun 30, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Scott C. Arves

Great company to work for!

Company Driver (Former Employee)

ProsThis company is safety and family minded.

ConsReally couldn't think of any cons for this company

Sounded like a company I would want to drive for-now not so sure.

Company Driver (Current Employee) Grove City, OH

ProsOther drivers treat you like family, good place to start out in the industry; company decent about getting a driver home most of the time.

ConsLow miles (which equals a small payday)-weekend crew lacks sensibility regarding appointment times; dispatching is out of sync with driver's HOS; corporate staff, team-leaders/fleet-leaders/fleet mgrs. do not listen to driver input regarding appointment times that cannot be met; too many load recovery/relays due to service failures, which is a result of poor planning and customer service failures, which are beyond the driver's control; driver's are expected to fix all time management issues when planners and customer service fail to meet customer demands.

Advice to Senior Management(1) Hire competent planners and dispatchers that actually know how to do the job and know what it's like being a driver and who understand the HOS rules; instead of, hiring more new drivers to overwhelm the ones we have.

(2) Also, stop thinking solely about the profits which are made as a result of the driver's efforts, and treat them like they are your best assets by extending to them some respect for the hard work they put out to make this company an organization that they can say they are proud to be a part of.

(3) Hold yourselves to the same standards that you expect of those who put those profits in your pockets, and act on the promises you make-remember, a person is only as good as their word.

(4) Be the Transport America that you once were and quit trying to be the next Schneider, Swift, Werner or JB Hunt-let's be a step above the rest and not like them.

Not sure what kind of program they're running over there.

Truck Driver (Former Employee) Waterloo, IA

ProsExcellent training, equipment, maintenance, middle management, mileage and customer base.

ConsUpper management, inter_office communication, Tell the truth when a driver is expecting to return to work, don't string him/her along til FMLA is exceeded then tell them to re_apply only to say we don't think you are medically capable of doing your job even though the driver has clearance from the doctor to return to work!

Advice to Senior ManagementBe honest with drivers, share information between office staff.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

could be a lot better

OTR DRIVER and TRAINER (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA

Prosgood starter company..to get your year or two years exp in...if your not married or have any bills good company to start with...decent trucks and trls..some good yards and some fair...

Conshad to fight to get home for my home time...my dispatcher decided i didnt need any more advances so he on his own put in that i was to get no more cash advances..given a new truck and for 6 weeks couldnt shut it down due to elect short..so i was charged with the idle time even though i turned in my idle time request...so no bonus of any time...took over a year and a half before i was put up for pay review..almost lost my house 3 times due to no miles or low miles even after letting them know when i needed the miles...always talked about the yearly average not about what you were making or running for that week which is the following weeks payroll..was cussed out by night dispatch even though i did what they told me to do...fell off the truck and got hurt and was accused by dispatch of doing it on purpose..lol..right wanted a fractured skull and busted back...payroll saying they dont get your trips in for pay even though you have the trans flow date and time...they didnt care said they didnt get it so didnt pay till the following week so again almost lost the house...

Advice to Senior Managementget your mind back on the drivers and their needs and not lineing your pockets with money...get rid of the truck stops that have no parking and no showers and put the ones back that did..thought driver comfort was your big concern..cant prove by what i have seen

Good place

OTR Driver (Current Employee) Janesville, WI

Prosgood pay,good people, will work with you on home time.

Conslimited movement for drivers,mostly otr, reg or bust

mostly good, My rate of pay is better, miles ok, home time ok, fleet mgrs ok, benefits ok.

Truck Driver (Current Employee) Birmingham, AL

ProsI like the deciated opportunities that are available here and the steady miles and hometime.

ConsIf you are out on medical leave more than 30 days, you must take this physical fittness test even though your doctor has released you to go back to work. You can even pass your dot physical and still have to do this. Does the fact that a driver cannot stand on one foot for 30 seconds mean that he cannot do his job? It sounds like you are trying to get rid of your older more expierenced drivers.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou really must not need drivers if this is the only reason for not qualifing for a drivers position. This policy should be changed for drivers that are already working here. Good Lord, we already have to jump through enough hoops already. thanks for your time.

Starting to remind me of Schneider!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Truck Driver (Current Employee) North Liberty, IA

ProsRegional seems to actually mean regional. Newer trucks coming into fleet. Family attitude amongst drivers.

ConsCannot depend on support staff. Hometime often screwed up. Load pick up or delivery times often compromised by bad dspatch info. Faulty qualcomm equipment. Dispatch directions and qualcomm directions are as different as nite and day. Way too many old trailers that need to be disposed of immediately. Not enuff mechanics and shops close at 6pm, need to be open 24hours. Need truck wash stations at support centers. Need better tracking of trailers to prevent prolonged trailer searches.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen a driver says they can't take a load in the middle of the night because they are on their 10 hour break. Stop trying to talk them into parking at the shipper, wake up at midnite or 1am back up to the dock while on break, just to get the load, and then resume their break. Last time I checked that was illegal. Once that break starts, don't tell us we goota move that truck, so you can get your commision!

Went from a Fortune 500 company to this one....Bad decision

Fleet Manager (Former Employee) Eagan, MN

ProsAs an office worker, 40 hours do exist with this logistical company. They pay higher than some bigger companies. They also have a staff for all hours.

ConsThe company thinks it is bigger than it actually is. The loads are short and it is unfortunate to tell have to tell new drivers their loads are short. It misinforms drivers about the miles they will receive. Most loads seem to be short for drivers. I would recommend this for a driver though because they can refuse any load and it is almost impossible to be fired as driver. The office politics are bad on the 2nd and 3rd shifts.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of Upper Managment because the have let the prisoners run the asylum

Transport America

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Fontana, CA

ProsThe company does have many perks, with car allowance, per diem and takes care of you when you travel. They pay is very competitive.

ConsIn the long term it seems that they spend too much on overhead and lack the institutional controls to make sure all the support centers are living up to the standards.

Advice to Senior ManagementCut much of overhead and establish a way to "secret shop" the support centers to make sure that they are taking care of the human resource that is the company-drivers. These support center managers also have a heavy price tag with few responsibilities.

A great company slowly being pulled down my upper management

Driver (Current Employee) Eagan, MN

ProsThe middle management structure is still one of the best in the industry. Good working relations can be built up and maintained.

ConsUnfortunately upper management's attitude to the drivers and middle management is condecending and shows a real lack of respect. Drivers especialy are treated as if they have little sense and can be fooled intobelieving anything. Since the new CEO and upper management came to transport america even middle management fear for thier jobs. This in turn passes on to the drivers and becomes a culture of lies and deceit.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease keep us as Transport America and stop trying to turn us into a clone of lesser companies like shnieder and swift ect.

Worked for Transport Corporation of America? Contribute to the Community!