Transport Corporation of America

Scott C. Arves

1. Good Company

Current Employee - OTR Driver in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - OTR Driver in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Transport Corporation of America full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great Fleet Manager. Good Miles. Good Pay.

Cons

Extended Coverage screws up to much.

Advice to Management

Work on Extended Coverage.

Great people, weak freight and pay

Current Employee - Truck Driver in Eagan, MN

Pros

I have a great fleet mgr and most others are good, though weekend/night help doesn't know much

Cons

Poor planners. ALWAYS getting loads impossible to pick up on time, no detention until after 3 hours of sitting..this happens a lot! Lots of short runs

Advice to Management

Get with your competition.pay after 1 he delay. Use PC Practical miles, instead of hhg..That's old. Better pay. In 2 months I can go to a company that offers this and .10 a mile more with a $1000 a week guarantee

Good company to work for especialy starting out

Current Employee - Driver in Howland Center, OH
    Current Employee - Driver in Howland Center, OH

I have been working at Transport Corporation of America full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Their dedicated accounts are the way to go because a lot of them are on a salary base where you dont have to worry as much about the miles

Cons

I was never a big fan of their otr because you have to hope they get you a decent amount of miles in order to bring a decent paycheck home and I have had a lot of times where I found myself sitting and waiting on loads.

Advice to Management

Management could use better communication skills at times but other than that they do a pretty good job helping you out and working with the drivers on most sotuations.

Fast Food Service

Former Employee - Cashier in Boise, ID
    Former Employee - Cashier in Boise, ID

I worked at Transport Corporation of America part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The Supervisors went out of their way to make you feel comfortable at your new job, and the learning process was great.

Cons

The need for more hours.

Advice to Management

From what I could tell your team doe's their jobs well, keep up the great work.

Not a bad company to work for. Typical trucking company. They will not get you home on time

Former Employee - OTR Driver in North Liberty, IA
    Former Employee - OTR Driver in North Liberty, IA

I worked at Transport Corporation of America

Pros

Fair equipment minimum down time

Cons

Good accounts FedEx. and General Mills

7. Drivers are family. Some fleet leaders great. Some very bad. Shops suck 99% of the time.

Current Employee - OTR Driver in Eagan, MN
    Current Employee - OTR Driver in Eagan, MN

I have been working at Transport Corporation of America

Pros

Good pay. Good miles if you show them you can work. Drivers are diverse and like a family.

Cons

Some fleet leaders think they own the company. Very demanding and rude. Extended coverage in Eagan - aka night dispatch should all be fired immediately. They are worthless.

Advice to Management

Get back to treating driver's with respect! Especially the ones who work their butts off for you! Hire new shop mechanics.

Great place to start

I have been working at Transport Corporation of America

Pros

Plenty of miles honest people will get you home.

Cons

There are people in the garage. Who do not care about you or the company

Advice to Management

Listen to the driver's

A great deal of possibilities, unfortunately upper management does not follow the servant leadership they promote.

Former Employee - Weekend Operations Manager in Eagan, MN
    Former Employee - Weekend Operations Manager in Eagan, MN

I worked at Transport Corporation of America full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- Good group of employees. Wish the company would have seen them as team members - Technology - 1st rate systems, industry leaders here - diverse group, both office and drivers

Cons

- top down leadership, front line has little to no power - Benefits, healthcare plan is rough (child birth figure 3.5K-4K out of pocket) - Feeling of your a number and easily replaced - just bought out, sure to see huge changes and positions lost

Advice to Management

Promote and follow the company values. Leadership needs to know they have a voice in the process and not to fear that their opinions will be used against them because they differ. Allow them to get there ideas heard, and you will find more buy in from them even of it is not their 1st choice.

10. Office/Corporate employee - company is unsure

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Eagan, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Eagan, MN

I worked at Transport Corporation of America full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Health Benefits are OK. You are not just a worker, people get to know you. Great coworkers and peers.

Cons

Management is inconsistent. Both fleet management and customer service is broken into multiple teams. The management from team to team is VASTLY different. Also, if you want to change roles, prepare to jump through hoops. It's one thing to take charge of what you want in a career, it's another thing to have to literally break your back to get where you want. Especially if you want to go from extended coverage to days, you'll have to prove yourself worthy 5 times over. Also, management appears to know what they want for the future of the company, but trust me, they don't have a clue. If you take a job here, you will enjoy yourself, however if you have multiple job opportunities, seriously consider the others ones before pursuing this place.

Advice to Management

Create consistency. Offer better pay to those you value (which should be all your employees).

There is no such thing as OTR here.

Current Employee - Truck Driver in Eagan, MN

I have been working at Transport Corporation of America full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good benefits and they will get you home time when you ask for it, you just need to give a weeks notice

Cons

Low miles. There is no real OTR, they do not send solo drivers out west. The furthest you will go is the Dakotas. They also believe 3,000 miles a week is an unreasonable request, be prepared for under 2,000. The average load is between 200 and 300 miles. I have been here a year and I have only seen 4 loads over 1000 miles. They claim they can only give teams the long runs and only teams can run west. I spend most of my time between Ohio and Iowa, that is not OTR, they are a glorified Regional Carrier with OTR Teams. Fleet Leaders love to micromanage and will blame the driver for missing the unrealistic delivery appointments. They claim no forced dispatch, but refusing a load counts against you. I have been told to falsify my logs and disrespected. Like all companies, nights and weekends could care less.

Advice to Management

Give your OTR Drivers, OTR loads. Run them out west, save the crappy 200-300 mile loads for the regional drivers or you will continue to lose drivers.

RSS Feed </> Embed