Transport Corporation of America

Updated April 2, 2015
22 reviews filtered by
2.8
Scott C. Arves

1. Not a bad company to work for. Typical trucking company. They will not get you home on time

Former Employee - OTR Driver in North Liberty, IA
    Former Employee - OTR Driver in North Liberty, IA

I worked at Transport Corporation of America

Pros

Fair equipment minimum down time

Cons

Good accounts FedEx. and General Mills

2. Drivers are family. Some fleet leaders great. Some very bad. Shops suck 99% of the time.

Current Employee - OTR Driver in Eagan, MN
    Current Employee - OTR Driver in Eagan, MN

I have been working at Transport Corporation of America

Pros

Good pay. Good miles if you show them you can work. Drivers are diverse and like a family.

Cons

Some fleet leaders think they own the company. Very demanding and rude. Extended coverage in Eagan - aka night dispatch should all be fired immediately. They are worthless.

Advice to Management

Get back to treating driver's with respect! Especially the ones who work their butts
     off for you! Hire new shop mechanics.

Great place to start

I have been working at Transport Corporation of America

Pros

Plenty of miles honest people will get you home.

Cons

There are people in the garage. Who do not care about you or the company

Advice to Management

Listen to the driver's

A great deal of possibilities, unfortunately upper management does not follow the servant leadership they promote.

Former Employee - Weekend Operations Manager in Eagan, MN
    Former Employee - Weekend Operations Manager in Eagan, MN

I worked at Transport Corporation of America full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- Good group of employees. Wish the company would have seen them as team members
    - Technology - 1st rate systems, industry leaders here
    - diverse group, both office and drivers

Cons

- top down leadership, front line has little to no power
    - Benefits, healthcare plan is rough (child birth figure 3.5K-4K out of pocket)
    - Feeling of your a number and easily replaced
    - just bought out, sure to see huge changes and positions lost

Advice to Management

Promote and follow the company values. Leadership needs to know they have a voice in the process and not to fear that their opinions will be used against them because they differ. Allow them to get there ideas heard, and you will find more buy in from them even of it is not their 1st choice.

6. Office/Corporate employee - company is unsure

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Eagan, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Eagan, MN

I worked at Transport Corporation of America full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Health Benefits are OK. You are not just a worker, people get to know you. Great coworkers and peers.

Cons

Management is inconsistent. Both fleet management and customer service is broken into multiple teams. The management from team to team is VASTLY different. Also, if you want to change roles, prepare to jump through hoops. It's one thing to take charge of what you want in a career, it's another thing to have to literally break your back to get where you want. Especially if you want to go from extended coverage to days, you'll have to prove yourself worthy 5 times over. Also, management appears to know what they want for the future of the company, but trust me, they don't have a clue. If you take a job here, you will enjoy yourself, however if you have multiple job opportunities, seriously consider the others ones before pursuing this place.

Advice to Management

Create consistency. Offer better pay to those you value (which should be all your employees).

There is no such thing as OTR here.

Current Employee - Truck Driver in Eagan, MN

I have been working at Transport Corporation of America full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good benefits and they will get you home time when you ask for it, you just need to give a weeks notice

Cons

Low miles. There is no real OTR, they do not send solo drivers out west. The furthest you will go is the Dakotas. They also believe 3,000 miles a week is an unreasonable request, be prepared for under 2,000. The average load is between 200 and 300 miles. I have been here a year and I have only seen 4 loads over 1000 miles. They claim they can only give teams the long runs and only teams can run west. I spend most of my time between Ohio and Iowa, that is not OTR, they are a glorified Regional Carrier with OTR Teams. Fleet Leaders love to micromanage and will blame the driver for missing the unrealistic delivery appointments. They claim no forced dispatch, but refusing a load counts against you. I have been told to falsify my logs and disrespected. Like all companies, nights and weekends could care less.

Advice to Management

Give your OTR Drivers, OTR loads. Run them out west, save the crappy 200-300 mile loads for the regional drivers or you will continue to lose drivers.

Everyone is expendable if you are not a driver. This is a thankless job and any issue will be your fault.

Former Employee - Fleet Manager in Eagan, MN
    Former Employee - Fleet Manager in Eagan, MN

I worked at Transport Corporation of America full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Gained some industry knowledge. Newer building which is relatively nice and a relaxed dress code.

Cons

Training Program is virtually non- existent and changes with every new hire. Mine consisted of sitting in a training room for 2 weeks having the same person read documents and regulations to me for 8 hours a day in a monotone voice.

Onboarding is horrible. I was never even introduced to my team or shown around the site. After training, I was dropped at my desk in the middle of another team on a job where you are on the phone all day and then later challenged because I wasn't making myself "part of the team."

Management never followed up on anything they said they were going to do or look into. I met with my boss twice in the year and a half I worked there and was provided conflicting feedback on my performance. Pay was a little low and no raises for office staff were given during my time there.

Driver retention is the only thing that matters to them- everyone else is expendable. You are held accountable for your retention even when the issues are completely out of your control.

This position is designed to fail. You are held responsible for every load failure or issue encountered and spend all your time having to explain issues to customer service that you knew and said would fail at the beginning because the planners are unrealistic and you had to push your drivers into doing something they didn't feel they could do.

Advice to Management

Make sure your driver recruiters are giving realistic expectations for drivers. They keep coming in looking for big mile loads and then quit because what they get are so small. Do not say we can do home weekly if they do not live near a terminal or along a major freight lane. You need to get more experienced drivers to balance all the new ones. You also need to stop recruiting out of Atlanta only or gain some more business in the area to support all the home loads and back out loads needed due to driver home time.

Understand that your office employees should count as much as your drivers do for retention. It is very discouraging to work in a place where you are treated so poorly and told to do whatever it takes to retain your fleet. Empower your fleet managers more on their opinions of the loads that have been matched with their drivers.

Great company to work for!

Former Employee - Company Driver
    Former Employee - Company Driver

I worked at Transport Corporation of America full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This company is safety and family minded.

Cons

Really couldn't think of any cons for this company

Not sure what kind of program they're running over there.

Former Employee - Truck Driver in Waterloo, IA
    Former Employee - Truck Driver in Waterloo, IA

I worked at Transport Corporation of America full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Excellent training, equipment, maintenance, middle management, mileage and customer base.

Cons

Upper management, inter_office communication, Tell the truth when a driver is expecting to return to work, don't string him/her along til FMLA is exceeded then tell them to re_apply only to say we don't think you are medically capable of doing your job even though the driver has clearance from the doctor to return to work!

Advice to Management

Be honest with drivers, share information between office staff.

Sounded like a company I would want to drive for-now not so sure.

Current Employee - Company Driver in Grove City, OH
    Current Employee - Company Driver in Grove City, OH

I have been working at Transport Corporation of America full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Other drivers treat you like family, good place to start out in the industry; company decent about getting a driver home most of the time.

Cons

Low miles (which equals a small payday)-weekend crew lacks sensibility regarding appointment times; dispatching is out of sync with driver's HOS; corporate staff, team-leaders/fleet-leaders/fleet mgrs. do not listen to driver input regarding appointment times that cannot be met; too many load recovery/relays due to service failures, which is a result of poor planning and customer service failures, which are beyond the driver's control; driver's are expected to fix all time management issues when planners and customer service fail to meet customer demands.

Advice to Management

(1) Hire competent planners and dispatchers that actually know how to do the job and know what it's like being a driver and who understand the HOS rules; instead of, hiring more new drivers to overwhelm the ones we have.

(2) Also, stop thinking solely about the profits which are made as a result of the driver's efforts, and treat them like they are your best assets by extending to them some respect for the hard work they put out to make this company an organization that they can say they are proud to be a part of.

(3) Hold yourselves to the same standards that you expect of those who put those profits in your pockets, and act on the promises you make-remember, a person is only as good as their word.

(4) Be the Transport America that you once were and quit trying to be the next Schneider, Swift, Werner or JB Hunt-let's be a step above the rest and not like them.