Transport Corporation of America

Updated July 30, 2014
Updated July 30, 2014

2.9

Scott C. Arves

Great atmosphere and room for growth within company

Former Employee - Customer Service  in  Eagan, MN
    Former Employee - Customer Service in Eagan, MN

I worked at Transport Corporation of America full-time

Pros

Company culture is laid back. Management is approachable. Great opportunity to move around company.

Cons

The training program is obsolete. Each new employee gets a different training experience, which causes a gap in base knowledge from person to person. Average salary could be better

Get a nice training program in place for each role or department and you might have better employee retention

Everyone is expendable if you are not a driver. This is a thankless job and any issue will be your fault.

Former Employee - Fleet Manager  in  Eagan, MN
    Former Employee - Fleet Manager in Eagan, MN

I worked at Transport Corporation of America full-time for more than a year

Pros

Gained some industry knowledge. Newer building which is relatively nice and a relaxed dress code.

Cons

Training Program is virtually non- existent and changes with every new hire. Mine consisted of sitting in a training room for 2 weeks having the same person read documents and regulations to me for 8 hours a day in a monotone voice.

Onboarding is horrible. I was never even introduced to my team or shown around the site. After training, I was dropped at my desk in the middle of another team on a job where you are on the phone all day and then later challenged because I wasn't making myself "part of the team."

Management never followed up on anything they said they were going to do or look into. I met with my boss twice in the year and a half I worked there and was provided conflicting feedback on my performance. Pay was a little low and no raises for office staff were given during my time there.

Driver retention is the only thing that matters to them- everyone else is expendable. You are held accountable for your retention even when the issues are completely out of your control.

This position is designed to fail. You are held responsible for every load failure or issue encountered and spend all your time having to explain issues to customer service that you knew and said would fail at the beginning because the planners are unrealistic and you had to push your drivers into doing something they didn't feel they could do.

Make sure your driver recruiters are giving realistic expectations for drivers. They keep coming in looking for big mile loads and then quit because what they get are so small. Do not say we can do home weekly if they do not live near a terminal or along a major freight lane. You need to get more experienced drivers to balance all the new ones. You also need to stop recruiting out of Atlanta only or gain some more business in the area to support all the home loads and back out loads needed due to driver home time.

Understand that your office employees should count as much as your drivers do for retention. It is very discouraging to work in a place where you are treated so poorly and told to do whatever it takes to retain your fleet. Empower your fleet managers more on their opinions of the loads that have been matched with their drivers.

Great company to work for!

Former Employee - Company Driver
    Former Employee - Company Driver

I worked at Transport Corporation of America full-time for less than a year

Pros

This company is safety and family minded.

Cons

Really couldn't think of any cons for this company

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Not sure what kind of program they're running over there.

Former Employee - Truck Driver  in  Waterloo, IA
    Former Employee - Truck Driver in Waterloo, IA

I worked at Transport Corporation of America full-time for less than a year

Pros

Excellent training, equipment, maintenance, middle management, mileage and customer base.

Cons

Upper management, inter_office communication, Tell the truth when a driver is expecting to return to work, don't string him/her along til FMLA is exceeded then tell them to re_apply only to say we don't think you are medically capable of doing your job even though the driver has clearance from the doctor to return to work!

Be honest with drivers, share information between office staff.

Sounded like a company I would want to drive for-now not so sure.

Current Employee - Company Driver  in  Grove City, OH
    Current Employee - Company Driver in Grove City, OH

I have been working at Transport Corporation of America full-time for less than a year

Pros

Other drivers treat you like family, good place to start out in the industry; company decent about getting a driver home most of the time.

Cons

Low miles (which equals a small payday)-weekend crew lacks sensibility regarding appointment times; dispatching is out of sync with driver's HOS; corporate staff, team-leaders/fleet-leaders/fleet mgrs. do not listen to driver input regarding appointment times that cannot be met; too many load recovery/relays due to service failures, which is a result of poor planning and customer service failures, which are beyond the driver's control; driver's are expected to fix all time management issues when planners and customer service fail to meet customer demands.

(1) Hire competent planners and dispatchers that actually know how to do the job and know what it's like being a driver and who understand the HOS rules; instead of, hiring more new drivers to overwhelm the ones we have.

(2) Also, stop thinking solely about the profits which are made as a result of the driver's efforts, and treat them like they are your best assets by extending to them some respect for the hard work they put out to make this company an organization that they can say they are proud to be a part of.

(3) Hold yourselves to the same standards that you expect of those who put those profits in your pockets, and act on the promises you make-remember, a person is only as good as their word.

(4) Be the Transport America that you once were and quit trying to be the next Schneider, Swift, Werner or JB Hunt-let's be a step above the rest and not like them.

could be a lot better

Current Employee - OTR DRIVER and TRAINER  in  Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - OTR DRIVER and TRAINER in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Transport Corporation of America full-time for more than a year

Pros

good starter company..to get your year or two years exp in...if your not married or have any bills good company to start with...decent trucks and trls..some good yards and some fair...

Cons

had to fight to get home for my home time...my dispatcher decided i didnt need any more advances so he on his own put in that i was to get no more cash advances..given a new truck and for 6 weeks couldnt shut it down due to elect short..so i was charged with the idle time even though i turned in my idle time request...so no bonus of any time...took over a year and a half before i was put up for pay review..almost lost my house 3 times due to no miles or low miles even after letting them know when i needed the miles...always talked about the yearly average not about what you were making or running for that week which is the following weeks payroll..was cussed out by night dispatch even though i did what they told me to do...fell off the truck and got hurt and was accused by dispatch of doing it on purpose..lol..right wanted a fractured skull and busted back...payroll saying they dont get your trips in for pay even though you have the trans flow date and time...they didnt care said they didnt get it so didnt pay till the following week so again almost lost the house...

get your mind back on the drivers and their needs and not lineing your pockets with money...get rid of the truck stops that have no parking and no showers and put the ones back that did..thought driver comfort was your big concern..cant prove by what i have seen

Good place

Current Employee - OTR Driver  in  Janesville, WI
    Current Employee - OTR Driver in Janesville, WI

Pros

good pay,good people, will work with you on home time.

Cons

limited movement for drivers,mostly otr, reg or bust

mostly good, My rate of pay is better, miles ok, home time ok, fleet mgrs ok, benefits ok.

Current Employee - Truck Driver  in  Birmingham, AL
    Current Employee - Truck Driver in Birmingham, AL

I have been working at Transport Corporation of America full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I like the deciated opportunities that are available here and the steady miles and hometime.

Cons

If you are out on medical leave more than 30 days, you must take this physical fittness test even though your doctor has released you to go back to work. You can even pass your dot physical and still have to do this. Does the fact that a driver cannot stand on one foot for 30 seconds mean that he cannot do his job? It sounds like you are trying to get rid of your older more expierenced drivers.

You really must not need drivers if this is the only reason for not qualifing for a drivers position. This policy should be changed for drivers that are already working here. Good Lord, we already have to jump through enough hoops already. thanks for your time.

Starting to remind me of Schneider!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Current Employee - Truck Driver  in  North Liberty, IA
    Current Employee - Truck Driver in North Liberty, IA

Pros

Regional seems to actually mean regional. Newer trucks coming into fleet. Family attitude amongst drivers.

Cons

Cannot depend on support staff. Hometime often screwed up. Load pick up or delivery times often compromised by bad dspatch info. Faulty qualcomm equipment. Dispatch directions and qualcomm directions are as different as nite and day. Way too many old trailers that need to be disposed of immediately. Not enuff mechanics and shops close at 6pm, need to be open 24hours. Need truck wash stations at support centers. Need better tracking of trailers to prevent prolonged trailer searches.

When a driver says they can't take a load in the middle of the night because they are on their 10 hour break. Stop trying to talk them into parking at the shipper, wake up at midnite or 1am back up to the dock while on break, just to get the load, and then resume their break. Last time I checked that was illegal. Once that break starts, don't tell us we goota move that truck, so you can get your commision!

Went from a Fortune 500 company to this one....Bad decision

Former Employee - Fleet Manager  in  Eagan, MN
    Former Employee - Fleet Manager in Eagan, MN

I worked at Transport Corporation of America full-time for less than a year

Pros

As an office worker, 40 hours do exist with this logistical company. They pay higher than some bigger companies. They also have a staff for all hours.

Cons

The company thinks it is bigger than it actually is. The loads are short and it is unfortunate to tell have to tell new drivers their loads are short. It misinforms drivers about the miles they will receive. Most loads seem to be short for drivers. I would recommend this for a driver though because they can refuse any load and it is almost impossible to be fired as driver. The office politics are bad on the 2nd and 3rd shifts.

Get rid of Upper Managment because the have let the prisoners run the asylum

Worked for Transport Corporation of America? Contribute to the Community!