Transvideo Studios

Updated October 20, 2014
Updated October 20, 2014
3.1

Raymond Clark

Great facility, employees, and opportunities!

Former Employee - Motion Graphics Artist in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Motion Graphics Artist in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Transvideo Studios full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I cannot recommend this place enough in terms of opportunity and potential. Because there is such variety in work type and difficulty, it is the perfect environment to challenge and progress an artist's skill-set while also giving much needed times of respite. If an artist ever wants to develop a new tool kit, management is very encouraging and provides paid time to train, and gives them opportunities to use these in future projects. This can often lead to promotions or title changes if desired. Further, Transvideo leads a very collaborative environment that includes its artists in the creative and client calls through actual delivery of a project. This helps keep everyone from getting locked into roles, and creates a well rounded experience no matter what position.

I've also been happy with all of my co-workers. Because of the collaborative nature of the company, its easy to share ideas and techniques on a daily basis. Friendly banter was encouraged, and created a lighthearted, ego-free environment to work in.

The company is also very serious in regards to a good work/life balance. I never had an issue with being over worked or out of office time being denied. When they can, they like to organize company wide activities like BBQs and recreational sports.

In the end, I had a very positive work experience at Transvideo. Artists get the whole deal there: the equipment, the software, the team, and the work they need to support their creative drive and lifestyle.

Cons

Similar to other agencies, often the client determines how exciting a project can be. Content is sometimes out of Transvideo's control, but the boring projects also have to get done.

Sweet gig

Current Employee - Producer/Writer/Director in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Producer/Writer/Director in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Transvideo Studios full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I enjoy my work at Transvideo. The company itself is abnormally intentional about promoting an environment with little drama and no corporate politics. It’s really nice to actually focus on bettering the work at hand rather than getting in with a clique -- not to mention the people are really solid.

They're intentional about cultivating talent. They purchase online resources (plugins, courses etc.) when needed to refine or develop new skill sets, as well as allot personal training time on work hours. They also make their equipment available for personal projects.

The studio has been intentional about pushing to the next level of growth, the end game being to develop original content. They’ve reduced equipment rates to take on more live action projects as well as began stockpiling funds for pilots and independent films developed internally. This is the future direction the company. I would be remiss to not give that credit to Ray, the owner, who is now utilizing annual profits to fund original content.

There is a lot of collaboration. This is something management has done a great job of changing from when I first started. Before work was very independent -- you could skate by a day without saying hi to anyone. Now we pitch teams on concepts to develop better ideas – like a writers room. Artists are also always teaching each other new tricks and better ways to achieve certain effects.

Upward mobility. You’re given the reasonability you show you can handle -- as well as what you’re willing to take. It seems management is always looking for ways to discover new talent within the building -- even people who aren’t initially hired for creative. This provides new opportunities all around.

Transvideo pays a fair price for quality talent. Benefit packages aren't the best, but I'll admit I'm a bit bias after working at a university with excessive benefits.

Personally I think it's a sweet gig. The work is getting better everyday and the future direction of the company isn’t something common at a major agency.

Also, it seems worth mentioning I'm not in management.

Cons

Something we don't have right now is a booming social presence, which will be more and more important as the medium of storytelling becomes a dominantly digital enterprise. Like many companies, we need to find an audience. Biggest challenge on the creative side can be clients having too much control. That's not true in every case, but we can do better on limiting their choices and keeping them more focused on content.

I've witnessed the company taking bigger and bigger risks over the last year in an effort to yield bigger rewards. They've been eager to listen to employees in an effort to syphon great ideas for expansion. Keep it up!

Take advantage of the employees for the sake of the owner

Former Employee - Production Specialist in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Production Specialist in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Transvideo Studios full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Mountain View is a pleasant city.

Cons

Employees are expected to take full responsibility for the operation of the company, while getting paid less than the minimum wage. Working 12 hours a day is common.

Treat your employees like you would like to be treated. Pay a fair wage. Stick to what you promise.

The recent 5 star reviews are from owner and high management

Former Employee - Animator
    Former Employee - Animator

I worked at Transvideo Studios full-time

Pros

Location and their sound stage

Cons

Many employees quit here, poor managment, lack of culture, owner of company needs to stop talking about how successful his past was and start looking to improve the now for a better future of the company, owner is stuck on the past, the IT lead gets involved in design/film projects...

They don't take advice. Owner is too stuck in the past to move forward.

The place where creativity goes to die.

I worked at Transvideo Studios full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I have a very low opinion of this place, but I will try to find a touch of grey.

The sound stage is very big. It is poorly maintained and inadequately equipped, but you can still have fun and do good work on it.

The work stations are generally fitted with dual monitor mac towers and current software.

Positions there are not contract, but full-time staff so even when production is at a lull you'll still have a job.

To most people I would flat out say don't work here, but there is one scenario where I can see it being beneficial. If you have recently graduated from a pricey private art school it wouldn't hurt to work here for a year or two so that you can get some experience on your resume and keep student loan collectors at bay.

Cons

It is difficult to write a review based on facts about Transvideo because the atmosphere there is so mind mind-bogglingly stifling that any attempts to understand the logic of management inevitably leads one down the path of wild speculation. The bottom line is this; I'm convinced that the CEO has some sort of psychological illness.

Management of the company is top-down to the extreme. And flowing from the top is nothing but paranoia and delusion. This permeates down through the staff creating a culture of fear and resentment.

In a stagnant economic environment, I witnessed an inordinate number of people choose to quit before finding another job, causing them to forgo any unemployment benefits because staying at Transvideo was more than they could bear. I number among them.

To be successful in a creative industry you need to be flexible in your thinking and ready to adapt to rapidly changing tastes and technology. I've watched time and time again as a range of talented, artistic people were promised an opportunity to take on that challenge. It's always the same. They come in with exuberance and quickly become deflated when they find out that they are working on an assembly line churning out a second-rate product.

The truly special artists, the ones who realize the overwhelming potential of the studio, the ones who fight for change and dare to question management in an attempt to improve things for everyone are completely undermined. Their challenges are viewed as personal attacks and are responded to with child-like hostility. If they remain with the company, they are stripped of all power like some neutered lap dog. It has gotten to the point where middle management has all but disappeared from the company so that executive management can maintain direct control over all production.

I could go on at length about the lack of leadership, the poor decision making, the micromanagement and the bureaucracy, but I could never capture the hollow feeling you get from working there. I've seen good people pushed to the point of nervous breakdowns stuck by the need to feed their families. My heart goes out to them because I know of no burden greater than being trapped under the rubble of squandered potential.

I agree with the others who say that management will not heed advice, but I will embark on this fool's errand nonetheless.

My advice to you is very simple. Consider, at times, you might be wrong.

Not a good place to work. Period.

Former Employee - Anonymous in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Transvideo Studios full-time

Pros

They have a sound stage and a downtown Mountain View location. Despite the obstacles, many of the people who have worked there were talented and great to work with.

Cons

The atmosphere at Transvideo Studios is beyond oppressive. There is zero creative vision and marketing. The executive management actually reads your every email and chimes in as a "management" technique. What company policies there are change at whim. They are married to a hopelessly antiquated home-grown database/tracking system. All efforts by employees to grow or change the company are invariably hamstrung. The pattern: people work there for awhile, get frustrated and eventually leave. Three (and possibly more) of the glowing reviews posted on this site are written by the same person in executive management. I agree 100% with the person who said they would give this company no stars if they could.

The owner is not open to advice, but here goes. Give up and cash in on the much more valuable real estate.

My Dream Job

Current Employee - Senior Producer in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Producer in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Transvideo Studios full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The opportunities and potential are greater than any place I've ever worked for. My own story is not necessarily unique, but I have advanced from being hired as an Editor to promotions as a Post Production Supervisor, Producer, Senior Producer, and finally to Executive Management. Hard work in combination with devotion to clients and the company has always been rewarded.

Few companies are so guided by the desires of their employees. Several years ago, due to the aptitude and inclination of a few of our artists, we started branching out into different types of projects and soon established ourselves as leaders in design and animation. For those who can seize the advantage, the absence of top-down mandates is a godsend.

As an artist, having access to incredible facilities and equipment is invaluable. We are not limited by the tools that we use: everything is at the top end of the industry. The technical maintenance is so good it's easy to forget how difficult that achievement is. We've been very blessed with dedicated technical staff who ensure that artists don't have to spend their time troubleshooting or getting mired in compatibility issues.

Most co-workers are multi-talented, each with their own specialties and expertise. For younger artists there's a great mentoring environment, and almost everything we do is a collaboration of some kind. The whole company is very team focused.

Finally, I have to mention how family-oriented the company is--and it's not just the fact that the company bends over backwards to accommodate employee hours, especially those with difficult commutes or family responsibilities. A couple of years back, my wife and I were beginning the adoption process. Out of the blue, Ray Clark, the CEO, gives me a call and says he'd like to pay for our adoption expenses. As I come home to my beautiful daughter every night, I remember what a huge impact that has had on our lives, and I can't express my gratitude enough.

Cons

The location in Mountain View has taken its toll on acquiring and retaining top talent. The commute can be a difficult grind for a lot of employees who live throughout the Bay Area. The studio is located close to a CalTrain station, but sometimes you're simply at the mercy of CalTrain.

Very honestly, the lack of top-down management or creative gate-keepers is not for everyone. While some people thrive in an environment that promotes self-motivation, there are others who require a level of guidance, instruction, and direction that neither managers nor co-workers can really afford to maintain. And when people are given opportunities beyond their experience, there can be failure. Some people translate those failures into learning experiences, others become embittered by it. Those people are not awesome to work with.

Let me preface my comments to say that as someone who has advanced to management this is an issue that I have struggled with myself and have been a large contributor to the problem.

In the past we have spent way too many company resources on underperforming employees, frequently at the expense of our high achievers. Transvideo's legendary forgiveness has not always served us well. Keeping around those who are not contributing or who are even detracting from the core mission of the company has had a big impact on the quality of the work and the morale of those who have to clean up the messes left behind by their co-workers. We've had underperforming staff stick around for years, getting 7th and 8th chances after catastrophic mistakes with clients and internal projects. Sadly, with these co-workers the response to this forgiveness has not been appreciation, but more of a license to not improve, or worse. (the negative review below is one example of a particularly unremarkable former co-worker)

We've made some great strides at improving this situation recently, and the staff are loving it.

Transvideo Studios is the worst company I have ever worked for. If I could give zero stars I would.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Transvideo Studios full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Most places are a mixture of good and bad. No place is perfect and it's only fair to be balanced when giving a review. Transvideo however is unique in that it has in all honesty no redeeming qualities.

Cons

Transvideo has the highest turnover of staff of any company I have ever worked for.
    It's people are its least valuable asset.
    The atmosphere is oppressive.
    There is no culture here other than fear and insecurity.
    The work is the same they are unable to move forward.
    This is a quote from the CEO " Give me any ideas on how you think we can make the place better and I'll give you 10 reasons why they won't work."
    Wages are hourly and your time is subject to arbitrary fluctuations.
    It is so bad here that many of the people that left did so without having another job to go to.
    Every single employee that tried to make a difference was shut down, and in many cases, demoted to prevent further attempts.

They are beyond advice.

It's a pleasure to review our workplace

Current Employee - Professional in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Professional in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Transvideo Studios full-time

Pros

Producing projects for clients like Google, Box, NASA, CBS, CNBC is rewarding. But working at a company that also cares about a balance of personal and family life - now that's really important to me. I love to work, and we do work hard. Clocking in at about 40 hours, my work week is practically unheard of in an industry that's usually much more demanding.

Being part of one of the largest production companies in Northern California brings other benefits too. There's a lot of talented people on your team here. And all the latest technology and tools, with an IT department that really rocks!. We're talkin' millions of dollars in the latest toys, and experienced people that know how it all works. Red Epic 5k & Black Magic HD & cinema cameras, Da Vinci color correction, render farm, dozens of editing, graphics, animation stations and suites.

And as if that wasn't enough to make for a mouth watering nurdville digital design creative experience, there's also two acoustically designed sound stages providing the ultimate live video creative environment. Stage One is 4800 sq ft, and has a huge 2 walled cyc that can be painted white or green (for effects work). This is more space to create than in almost any other Bay Area studio.

The building is a great space, designed by Studios Architecture (Googleplex, SGI, Apple) . A long semi-circle wall houses edit suites on the first floor, and graphics, creative and producers suites on the second floor. A modern lunch room is also a "hub" for gatherings. The main graphics department is surrounded in glass with a view of the mountains. The downtown Mountain View location is great. The Tied House Brewery is right next door.

Cons

The money could always be better, but beyond a need to be comfortable, I'm not in it for $ alone. Pay may be less than many area corporations, especially giants like Google and Apple. But compared to the TV industry norm, it's actually quite good, and I'm happy.

Mountain View has a small town atmosphere, but a big city rush hour. Its population expands to the breaking point each weekday as thousands of coffee injected motorists descend on the hundreds of Silicon Valley corporations headquartered here. Commuters beware.

Awesome leadership. Forward thinking... Management has its finger on the pulse of where video is going. But at times it seems we're a "best kept secret", except to our current clients, who perhaps like it that way. We are better today than we've ever been before. An awesome team. An amazing facility! Let's tell the world about us! I'm doing my part here.

Great management & growing company

Former Employee - Director in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Director in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Transvideo Studios full-time

Pros

Great management, strong culture, fun place to work, very creative environment, well known identity, leader in the industry.

Work hours that are sensible - way below industry average. Silicon Valley's largest film/video production company. A foundation built on more than 30 years of success. Strong ethics, responsible support for staff and work-family-life balance.

Cons

Stages too big, Silicon Valley location

Thanks for great leadership and defining roles for for both staff and management

Transvideo Studios Photos