Transwestern Commercial Services

Updated September 21, 2014
Updated September 21, 2014
3.5

Larry Heard

This company promotes a work/life balance!

I have been working at Transwestern Commercial Services full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I have been with this company for a few years now and I have had a great experience working here. Great benefits package, considerate managers and a great corporate culture. The doors lock down at 5PM - you only stay after if you want to. It has been a great experience for me and I will always recommend Transwestern to anyone looking to get into brokerage!

Cons

A little stingy on the compensation, but I think all commercial real estate companies are.

I have been working at Transwestern Commercial Services

Pros

cant say much as its not be long and situation depends city to city and its very local...

Cons

not sure what to say........NO COMMENTS!!!

Transwestern--Great company to work for!

Former Employee - Administrative Associate in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Administrative Associate in Dallas, TX

I worked at Transwestern Commercial Services full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I worked for Transwestern Dallas for 4 years--an excellent organization, positive culture, reasonable people and excellent leadership. In 30+ years of employment, it is the best company I've worked for. Their time-off polices are generous and flexible, compensation competitive and there are occasional perks. They treat their employees like adults!

Cons

It is a national commercial real estate company--and the challenges there go hand-in-hand with corp. real estate anywhere: lots of last minute, overtime work. But it just goes with the territory. If you can't flex, don't work in this industry.

Keep up your excellent fiscal management--I love you guys!

Overall Good, but...

I worked at Transwestern Commercial Services full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Overall, nationally, this is probably a great company to work for.
    They had and possibly might still have the basis of possessing a great culture.
    Other employees, although morale is starting to fade

Cons

Some of the cultural has been reduced due to recent additions and releases. Also, nationally and diffently locally the office has an identity issue, they need to figure who they are and what they can achieve. They seem to be getting away from what brought them success to chase unattainable targets as well as to satisfy the C Suite

Don't forget or lose sight of what got you there, back up the talk. Figure out company's strengths as well as identity

Transwestern is a solid company with great leadership and talented people in the field.

Former Employee - Property Manager
    Former Employee - Property Manager

I worked at Transwestern Commercial Services full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The company has good policies and a culture to promote solid service to clients. Their is a teamwork attitude where employees are empowered to perform their job function. the CEO update from Larry Heard is a nice touch to keep employees informed on big picture items.

Cons

There not many cons related to Transwestern and the large growth experienced in the last few years has slowed and needs to be the focus to cultivate new business and grow the existing customer base. I feel they have good people in place to do this, but it takes time. I wish them the best.

Keep plugging away to continue the growth of the company. You should be proud of a solid group of associates.

Good place to work.

Current Employee - Administrative Associate in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Administrative Associate in Atlanta, GA

Pros

Fun, positive work environment. Flexible on work hours.

Cons

Pay and lack of role opportunities.

With Friends like These, Who Needs Enemies?

Former Employee - Administrative Associate in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Administrative Associate in Chicago, IL

I worked at Transwestern Commercial Services full-time (more than an year)

Pros

wide range of benefits, opportunity to give back to community with a paid day to volunteer, paid bereavement time

Cons

no opportunity for advancement, poor communication from management, no opportunities for training, employees with questionable morals

give employees feedback, both positive and negative. establish global standards for document continuity. reward good performance. re-evaluate internal day-to-day managers.

Transwestern WAS the right place to be

I worked at Transwestern Commercial Services full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The experience is different depending upon your assignment, your manager, and your region - there are great variances in the treatment of employees across the country.

Friendly, family-like atmosphere

In my group, flexible work hours. Not the same for others.

People really care about one another - and about the clients and tenants

People treat the building as "MY" building - they think like an owner

Lots of growth into new markets

Employees stay for a long time.

You can advance quickly if you are good at what you do.

Cons

Lots and lots of chiefs - CEO, COO, Chief Info Officer, Chief Accounting Officer, Chief Innovation Officer (WTF?)

President of the Americas??? We are only in America - all international business is through BNP Parabas. WTF do we have this position?

Silos - leasing, management, accounting don't talk to one another; geographic/regional silos, lack of consistent team approach

Inconsistent performance, employee work/life balance, expectations from region to region and from group to group.

Many "legacy" employees accept mediocrity. They stay for a long time, but they are not the best and brightest.

Promises made...no delivery.

Lack of strategic direction - it's all about growth and the back office is smoke and mirrors.

Mediocrity is tolerated, so the talented people have to work harder to pick up the slack.

Promises a 10% bonus, but then makes bonus unattainable. The highest bonuses this year were at 8%. Why not just say the bonus is 8% if it is impossible to earn 10? Bonuses are different for reimbursed employees (who can get the entire 10%) and unreimbursed/corporate employees (they are restricted by HQ). Bonus criteria is different across the country - some people get a bonus for doing their job, but others need to cure cancer, eliminate poverty, and find world peace to walk away with a bonus. Very unfair.

Never ever disagree with a broker. The broker is KING (QUEEN), and you could end up getting fired for going against a broker (even if you are right). Since the broker brings the $$$$$, they are treated like prima donnas, but the employees who support them are crapped on. Broker egos are gigantic, and they get away with pretty much anything. Condescend to staff - OK. Make inappropriate comments - OK. Treat you like you are not worthy to even speak with them - OK.

1. Fix the bonus program
    2. Add more to the 401k contributions - TW is below the industry average
    3. Get rid of the "dead wood" and replace them with the best and brightest
    4. Prune the top of the tree (all of the chiefs) and invest in infrastructure to support the people doing the work. They are stretched too thin.
    5. What is the strategy? Why are we growing when the infrastructure is groaning under the pressure?
    6. Communicate! Most people don't know what is going on. When my manager mentioned "Good, Better, Best," even she had never heard of it before. We have to work around the clock to get the reports done for HQ, but none of us even knew the program existed.

Unless you're an agent, your development does not matter to them.

Former Employee - Marketing Team Member
    Former Employee - Marketing Team Member

I worked at Transwestern Commercial Services full-time

Pros

There is a decent work/life balance at Transwestern and the employees are not asked to do a crazy amount of overtime. If you are in property management, there are opportunities all over the country.

Cons

No flexible scheduling, no professional development, no recognition for great work. Agents have a different experience but staff members and regional marketing teams are not a priority for the company.

Take pride in the people you have supporting agents.

Building Engineer

Current Employee - Facilities
    Current Employee - Facilities

I have been working at Transwestern Commercial Services full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

From what I have experienced, Transwestern is a well run, growing company. I like the updates regarding the company from our head, Larry Heard.

Really like the fat that HR does not butt-in or hover over every activity unlike other places I've worked.

Cons

There is 'silo-ing' between regions but also among those with the same positions. I would like to be in contact and build relationships with my peers but there is no mechanism to do so.

I'd like better communication from our regional leaders. Feel like we're out here on our own. Would like to know of/build relationships with my peers in the region.