Transystems
www.transystems.com Kansas City, MO 1000 to 5000 Employees

Transystems Reviews

Updated Apr 24, 2014
Transystems – Kansas City – “Corporate lobby”

Transystems CEO and Chairman of the Board Brian Larson

Brian Larson

Managment has lost their way.

Engineer (Current Employee)

ProsTalented people who have a strong drive for success and whom are a pleasure to work with.

ConsMGMT = Micro-MGMT. Mgmt has a week by week outlook. Aside from a wishful annual budget there is no direction for the future. There seems to be greater concern for the stock price today than the viability of major parts of the company in the future. Also, incentives are skewed. Even if an employee works an 80 hour week, if it's not billable (i.e. proposals), they are scolded for not working enough.

Advice to Senior ManagementWake up. People are not cattle who can be fired and hired as work comes. Make stride to foster real organic growth. If you do more aquisitions focus on the culture not the bottom line. Ease up on your margins to see what your very capable staff can produce. Respect the value your staff and that same value will wind up on your clients desks. Rather than worry about utilization week by week foster innovation and a positive work environment. You might be amazed to see what blossoms, including profits. I work with some very talented individuals. It is your job to harness that talent and see how far it can take us.

Abandon all hope, ye who enter here.

(Former Employee)
    Boston, MA

ProsSafe working environment
    Appears to be steady work

ConsRaises and promotions completely arbitrary. (Seriously it would blow your mind.)
    Mass hiring of unqualified, incompetent recent graduates, for obvious reasons.

Oh yeah, thanks a lot for the blank performance reviews. I guess I should take this to mean I'm perfect and there is nothing I should try to improve upon. (Seriously, though what's up with that?!)

Advice to Senior ManagementResign. Most of you are an embarrassment to the rest of us.

My experience with Transystems was a confining, follow the rules or else, dictatorship.

Nashville, TN

ProsTransystems had a lot of nice software programs/packages in place. There was also a lot of really talented employees.

ConsTransystems purchased the company I worked for previously. In less than 2 years the management at Transystems destroyed everything that company stood for, including the reasons they purchased us to begin with. Additionally, a majority of employees left soon after their company was purchased due to the oppressive atmosphere.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would recommend Management become a little more flexible and open to different ideas. Management should also not let the "processes" ruin the business.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Generally positive, with some frustration at not being able to work at my full potential.

Civil Engineer I (Former Employee)
    Boston, MA

ProsThe Boston office is very good at seeking out new jobs and winning them. They seem to have a very good relationship with several contractors and succeed admirably at completing design-build projects. Their clients trust them to do a thorough job, and my former coworkers were dedicated to producing the best work possible and were very through at QA/QC. They were also supportive of new employees and friendly. Upper management was also good: they knew everyone's names and kept track of where each employee wanted to go with their career.

ConsMy one gripe was that several of my senior coworkers seemed to be overloaded with work and thus did not have the couple minutes of time required to help get me on the path to acquiring new skills that would help me take some of the load off of them. However, there were other coworkers who excelled at mentoring.

Advice to Senior ManagementHelp more experienced coworkers develop their mentoring skills. Allow inexperienced employees a couple of hours a month to simply research/practice new skills that will help them be more productive, especially if their senior coworkers are overloaded with work.

ok

Kansas City, MO

ProsGood people to work with, they also seem to make a good effort to to up with changing technology, and are supportive of employees in that regard.

ConsPerformance reviews are mandatory but not guidelines for completing them aren't necessarily well followed by all managers or communicated to employees by managers.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work focusing on areas of growth and serving clients, but make sure communication to employees is truly informative not just as a token.

Bad Management Long working hours

Civil Engineer II (Current Employee)
    Schaumburg, IL

Proswell known transportation engineering company
    work on big size project

ConsWork and life never balance non-existent, always say Utilization
    No budget for career development course/seminar
    No bonus
    No job secure

Corporate Management is working in 1950's mindset

Assistant Vice President (Current Employee)
    Kansas City, MO

Pros"Best reasons" to work at the company are sadly limited. Focus is on sales only. Extreme pressure to perform with little recognition given for job well done.

This company employs some wonderful talent. Benefits are decent. Exciting projects are available to work on.

ConsCompany has very old mindset. There is a palpable arrogance at the corporate level which refuses to understand the structure in place, and how it isn't working for so many. As someone else wrote: When people leave in droves, pay attention.

It goes without saying that more than most are stressed and very unhappy in this company. Morale is at an all-time low, with corporate management serving dictates that translate as "bad behavior" by the employees. Condescending attitudes and lack of appreciation are what drive this workplace, and there is clearly no boundary between work and personal time.

Advice to Senior ManagementSadly, unless corporate management can see how they are clearly wasting the talent of so many all in lieu of the almighty dollar, a sad awakening will befall this firm. Time to wake up and smell the unhappiness, people. Your ignorance will not serve you in moving this corporation forward.

Great Potential ruined by Executive Management

Kansas City, MO

ProsTranSystems has some of the best and most competent people to work with. Many are hardworking, smart and energetic that want to be part of something special. This company has the potential for tremendous growth.

ConsThe culture that executive management has allowed to exist drives good people out. Unfortunately a few bad apples have made TranSystems a negative place. Communication from executive leadership is limited to a bi-weekly newsletter there is no attempt to get to know the staff.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe good news is that with one or two changes in personnel TranSystems can get back on track to the record growth they've seen in past years. The bad news is the person who can act refuses to even acknowledge there is a problem.

Corporate Environment needs work - from the top down.

Kansas City, MO

ProsThey pay well and benefits are better than some other employers.

ConsA senior manager demands people to work until early in the morning to "fix" issues that are not show-stopping, then expect you back at work to do your "regular" duties at the normal time. Expect to work a lot of weekends - this is not a family friendly employer. High burnout and a total lack of respect for the employees results in a high-turnover rate.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't take a senior manager's reports as is - do your own investigations into accusations that are made by her.

Corporate overload

Norfolk, VA

ProsGenerally the projects are substantial and interesting with a good base of sophisticated clients. There are some very skilled people in the firm.

ConsTotally driven by an unseen corporate hand with arbitrary mandates. The company is driven by accountants with no understanding of the design process. Schedules are so compressed and design teams are so undersized that quality and sanity are lost.

Advice to Senior ManagementBack off of the corporate pressure. Not everything can be reduced to a spreadsheet. Listen to the staff and stop trying to manage everything by arbitrary dictates.

Worked for Transystems? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Transystems reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Transystems CEO Brian Larson. All 36 reviews posted anonymously by Transystems employees.