Transystems Reviews

Updated August 19, 2014

3.1

Transystems CEO and Chairman of the Board Brian Larson
Brian Larson

Excellent opportunity to grow with the company

I have been working at Transystems for more than 10 years

Pros

much of opportunities to grow specially with upper management committment to invest on the company's growth for next 6 years as part of firm's vision

Cons

difficult to expand in regional level into new market and new areas, no problems with leadership, compensation, sopt bouneses and benefits

need to create environmental to better communicat with staff

Maybe a few tweaks, but poised for tremendous success!

I have been working at Transystems full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

The people I work with on a day to day basis are some of the best in the industry. My office organization is very horizontal...there are office leaders, but everyone is 'on the same team' and works together to serve our clients. The office environment/culture is fantastic and respectful. There is enormous potential for career advancement. Compensation is above average. As an employee-owned company, every employee has option to invest in the company.

Cons

Unfortunately, a few bad apples over the years have resulted in exeedingly rigid project oversight, policies and PM software systems. In a world where every company (and even the public sector) is forced to do more with less, TranSystems has heaped on additional internal PM tasks and repsonsibilities that are almost more time consuming than actually doing the work and making clients happy.

We are still a small firm, or at least a medium-sized firm made up of a few large offices and many smaller offices. Try not to systematize, manage and control as if we are one of the large mega-companies.

Lots of exciting things going on...

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Transystems full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

We have a solid plan for growth with an emphasis on professional development and leadership. We have a great niche in Transportation Consulting and huge opportunities for continued sustainable growth.
    Great benefits and competitive salary structure.

Cons

Growth can be challenging, but the organization is committed to succeeding

Remain committed to your people and your people will lead the company to success

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Civil Engineer

Current Employee - Civil Engineer
    Current Employee - Civil Engineer

I have been working at Transystems full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

-Lots of growth potential for those willing to take it on
    -Project diversity
    -small office feel with larger company backing
    -great colleagues and generally pleasant work environment

Cons

-wasteful spending at corporate level while tightening belts for local training and development
    -need to catch back up on technology

Continue course correction recently started including refocus on core business and employees.

Vet senior level hires and evaluate effectiveness early on before disenfranchising too many employees.

Aug 6, 2014Director Org Dev

Thank you for your feedback. The refocus you reference is critical and underway.

Excellent company to work for

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Fort Worth, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Worth, TX

I worked at Transystems full-time for more than a year

Pros

They encourage all employees to continue educating themselves and learning something new everyday.

Cons

Some colleagues don't seem to tolerate different cultural views and/or values.

Aug 6, 2014Director Org Dev

Thank you for your feedback. Diversity of thought and perspective is critical to our success.

Best Work Environment I've ever been in!

Former Employee - Civil Engineer II  in  Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Civil Engineer II in Houston, TX

I worked at Transystems full-time for more than a year

Pros

My experience with TranSystems was a good one. Only reason I am leaving is to move closer to family and sadly there is no office near me back home. Here are a few highlights as to why I like the company:

Great Work Environment
    Competitive Pay/Benefits
    Flexible Work Schedule (You can have a home life)
    Challenging Projects

Cons

There aren't many things I don't like about TranSystems but here are a few areas for improvement:

Employee orientation process could be improved. Some new employees (specifically new-grad engineers) would benefit from taking maybe a week to two week long course to orientate them about the company, crash course in MicroStation, ProjectWise, and other relevant programs, and a course on our company specific standards (how to utilize them and where to access them).

I think putting an orientation program into place (specifically for new hire engineers/CAD designers) would help with the transition into on-going projects and help managers assign relevant work.

Aug 6, 2014Director Org Dev

Thank you for the feedback! It is great to see we are moving in the right direction, but with definite opportunities. We are currently testing an update to our orientation that will hopefully ... More

Amazingly high recent reviews!

Former Employee - Civil Engineer  in  North Charleston, SC
    Former Employee - Civil Engineer in North Charleston, SC

I worked at Transystems full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

CEO approval on glassdoor has risen more than 30% in span of 2 months! It's a miracle! (HR has been busy)

Cons

Completely out of touch with no cohesive stategy to move forward. This company is a shell of its former self with the current leadeship lacking vision and honesty.

16% voluntary termination rate should be addressed rather than writing fictiotious positive Glassdoor reviews. Seriously, that is just as lame.

Aug 26, 2014Director Org Dev

We respect your perception. We listened to our people, including the good people in Charleston over the past several months to help us craft our 2020 strategy. Becoming an employer of choice who ... More

Senior Execs focus exclusively on revenue and have no other direction for the company.

Former Employee - Designer  in  Norfolk, VA
    Former Employee - Designer in Norfolk, VA

I worked at Transystems full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good place to gain knowledge as a college grad. Great people to work with. Benefits and a paycheck

Cons

Survival driven instead of being passionate about providing innovative solutions and products. Executive Management culture is too superficial and passive. Actively rejecting open thought and discourse from within.

Find engaging leaders and give them your jobs; know when pass the torch. Bring about proactive, thoughtful treatment from the top down; execs can hold everyone in the company accountable to be the positive change by first modeling that mindset.

It's definitely a corporation.

I worked at Transystems full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Lots of opportunities for advancement. Excellent benefits. Atmosphere is very professional. Employees were often rewarded for their efforts, if they worked for a profitable office.

Cons

Dealing with multiple bosses and layers of management. Workload became excessive at times. Also, deadlines set by management were sometimes unreasonable.

Do your research.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Transystems full-time for more than a year

Pros

Pleasant work environment. Friendly and talented employees. Company benefits are good. Firm has been in operation for many years and has exceptional people who win big projects for the firm.

Cons

Management is lacking in professional and hands-on skills and approach. They preach cost cutting, however, they don't practice it. BIG spending in everything from routine free lunches for employees to high dollar cost spending/waste for their overhead, and then it's --- 'anything goes' for the Corporate execs. Execs do not lead by example. There is a BIG disconnect between the Corporate dept. and the 'rest of the employees' in the company. The management leaves a lot to be desired. Good ol' boys. It's no wonder the younger engineers leave soon after they start.

See above.

Worked for Transystems? Contribute to the Community!