Travel Impressions

Updated July 28, 2014
Updated July 28, 2014
3.2

Tim Mullen

Not sure how to manage time...otherwise good!

Current Employee - E-Commerce Help Desk
    Current Employee - E-Commerce Help Desk

I have been working at Travel Impressions full-time for more than a year

Pros

The training was very well done, I felt confident in my abilities upon being put out to work on the phones. But with so many scenarios you can never be fully prepared for everything. The training was done well enough to cover simple situations that we run into every day. With every new experience you gain more knowledge and are better equipped to handle the situation. The pay is decent not the best, but not the worst either and there are opportunities for incentive as well as amazing travel deals for the staff. Within my first year in the position I was sent to Mexico for a familiarization trip! Make sure you have your passport!

The coworkers are great, it was easy to make friends and feel comfortable after all you do spend 40 hours a week with them. I don't feel like there is any animosity at all. I came into the company at a rough time during a large transition that was going on between TI and Apple vacations and stuck it out while some things haven't been up to par for the most part I'm happy with the job and would love to advance to another position.

Cons

I feel that there were a lot of things that just went totally wrong with the acquisition to being part of ALG (Apple Leisure Group) as we went in to it all. Our vacation bids were not completed until May....May....no one was certain of how many sick days we had or how everything was going to shake down especially with the awful winter we had.

Not knowing how to plan your evening is the worst...if you prefer to have a second job to support yourself further don't bother...you never will know when you will be getting out..if you are scheduled out of work at 5:00 they make you stay on the phone available until 4:59 and if you get a call in that minute usually you can get stuck up to an hour or two after you shift and it's really awful. This is my only main complaint ...don't bother making plans that are definite!

Benefits have been awful so far...worst insurance I've ever had at a job.

Good Company

I worked at Travel Impressions full-time

Pros

I enjoy the people I work with

Cons

Lots of changes to handle

In Transition Since Acquisition

Former Employee - Senior Director  in  Farmingdale, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Director in Farmingdale, NY

I worked at Travel Impressions for more than a year

Pros

Friendly and supportive culture, great work-life balance, great benefits

Cons

Radically changed since acquisition by ALG in June 2013

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

New ownership has ruined a good company

Current Employee - Marketing Manager  in  Farmingdale, NY
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Farmingdale, NY

I have been working at Travel Impressions full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Coworkers are really friendly people.

Cons

New ownership has completely ruined company. Entire workforce lives in fear of layoffs and paycuts. Everyone is trying to get out. Pay is also very low.

Great Co-Workers…Ok Company

I worked at Travel Impressions full-time

Pros

Great Co-Workers, Nice Office, Ok home to life balance.

Cons

TI does not value their employees. They say they do but the overall consensus is they don't.
    The pay is HORRIBLE. I mean come on we live in NY and barely make any money for a lot of hard work. Once they began the layoffs everyone was piled with work with no compensation. Managers are constantly changing very unstable.

Pay your employees more. Value their time and effort for your company.

Amazing

I have been working at Travel Impressions

Pros

It is a great place to work

Cons

Not many that I can think of

Amazingly Awful

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Farmingdale, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Farmingdale, NY

I worked at Travel Impressions full-time for more than a year

Pros

The only thing that keeps people there is that the most of the staff (not management) are truly great people that got stuck there and can't find a way out.

There are employees that have great ideas, passion & drive to be the best version of themselves and all of that is crushed by false promises, poor attitude and mismanagement.

Cons

The lack of vision, blasé attitude towards how they treat employees, and the blatant waste of money are just few of the reasons I would say never to work there.

They consider a benefit of working there that they supply "filtered water" & "Bereavement Flowers" (not joking)

They believe the best course of action is to keep adding 6 figure "executives" and "consultants" while condescendingly calling the people who do all the work & are barely getting by* "amazing".

They allow those said "executives" to constantly work from home while everyone else has to put in extra hours in the office.

I fully understand executives have the right to do what they want, but they should also lead by example.

*plus the pay is horrible even for long island standards

Apple has cut the staff but still leave the Farmingdale office open. Please release those employees from their daily misery, so they can start a real life and enjoy work again.

Be "Amazing" Apple for the sake of the TI employees

Biggst mistake. Don't EVER work there!!

Former Employee - Customer Service  in  Bethlehem, PA
    Former Employee - Customer Service in Bethlehem, PA

I worked at Travel Impressions part-time for less than a year

Pros

Ahhhhhh none. Walk on past my friend, find any job but this!

Cons

PA office, new trainer is terrible;unprofessional and I have worked in call centers all my career
    From the best to the worst places, and this was the worst training I have ever had.
    I was let go in training, can't get into spacifics, but if you have a family emergency like
    Sugeries, and need fmla etc they won't give it to you and will blame it on other things
    Because you cannot miss one day of training, or even be one minute late from a break or they
    Will write you up, where people on the floor can be as late as they want.

Go back to school and take some managerial classes at college and learn to be real
    Managers and trainers, not white trash.

A soon to be former brand under Apple Leisure Group

Former Employee - Vice President  in  Bethlehem, PA
    Former Employee - Vice President in Bethlehem, PA

I worked at Travel Impressions full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Some of the employees are wonderful people. They mostly occupy the lower third of the constantly change org chart.

Cons

Everything else. Everyone knew about the ALG buyout in March 2013 when they announced it, so that other review is pure crap. The buyout occurred on July 1st, 3 months later. Steve Gorga left on June 30th. His replacement, John Hanratty, left October 9th with no notice. What does that tell you? The Mullen brothers *appointed* the VPs in the new org. None of them could get the jobs if it was competative, and they were hoping to get the best of TI to work for them. No one wanted to apply for the director positions under them, from either apple vacations or TI. The best developers, graphic artists, content people, and managers are already gone. By mid-June of 2014 Travel Impressions will be no more. They're screwed at the VP level and they know it. They should have listened to more than just former CIO Mauricio when they had the chance. Of course, Mauricio was offered a job under those VPs and then promptly said no and quit the next day.

Oh, and having one of the VPs who uses too much grecian formula tell us that we can't regularly work from home any more? We work there to support our lives outside of the office not the other way around!

Cash out while you still can. You already let the brains of the organization walk out the door, and you cannot possibly consider conducting business as usual with what's left.

Great people, terrible management

I worked at Travel Impressions

Pros

Coworkers felt like family. Work environment wasn't awful.

Cons

Management short-sighted. Especially the new digital marketing department where the directors are flying by the seat of their pants with little experience in the digital space. Hiring specialists for their knowledge and then firing them once they have it. Terrible business practice.

There are a certain couple of people that hold prominent positions in the aforementioned "cons" section, and they know who they are. They consider themselves visionaries, however all they're doing is weeding through employees with little regard for their work ethic. Now that there are new owners handling American Express Vacations, I'm hoping they realize that the senior management are a bunch of fools with little to contribute.

Worked for Travel Impressions? Contribute to the Community!