TravelCenters of America

TravelCenters of America Reviews

Updated June 21, 2014
Updated June 21, 2014

2.3

TravelCenters of America President, CEO, and Managing Director Thomas M. O'Brien
Thomas M. O'Brien

Home office

Current Employee - Finance - Accounting  in  Westlake, OH
    Current Employee - Finance - Accounting in Westlake, OH

I have been working at TravelCenters of America full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Somewhat flexible hours. Medical benefits were good.

Cons

No program in place to identify or promote talent from within. Management would rather hire outside to fit a roll than to advance the career of those already in house. Too many strong intelligent workers have been stuck in the same position for years because management is blind to the talent right in front of their eyes. 2% annual bonus every year. The bonus is not performance based.

You say that your employees are your greatest asset - however your actions speak louder than your words. On the corporate level alone you have lost a lot of incredible talent either to other companies, or by strong employees not performing up to their potential because they are dissatisfied with their position and have no incentive to achieve.

Not too bad to work here

Former Employee - Lead
    Former Employee - Lead

I worked at TravelCenters of America full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Lots of good people work here but I think they need to screen their management requirements or perhaps check them out better.

Cons

You don't always get the shift you need or prefer

Stop hiring or promoting management according to youth or who you like, rather hire them according to their work ethics and abilities. Some are fantastic while others are taking up space.

Above Average

Former Employee - Cashier  in  Commerce, GA
    Former Employee - Cashier in Commerce, GA

I worked at TravelCenters of America full-time for more than a year

Pros

Friendly customers and truck drivers.

Cons

Lack of support from GM and other managers. Also, Lazy Co-workers.

Appreciate the people who actually work hard for you and enjoy their job instead of having your pets and promoting those who do not qualify for the position they are assigned.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

times have changed

I have been working at TravelCenters of America full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

great health benefits, paid vacation and holiday. experience in all areas

Cons

I wrote a review on here a few years back, it was good. since then the company has changed. managers and hourly workers are literally working themselves sick. the pressure to perform is insane. company loyalty and moral is at an all time low.

it is sad to see so many good people find employment elsewhere. this use to be a wonderful company to work for. what happened!? focus more on your employees, or you will lose them.

Disorganized and unprofessional management

Current Employee - Server At Country Pride  in  Richmond Hill, GA
    Current Employee - Server At Country Pride in Richmond Hill, GA

I have been working at TravelCenters of America for less than a year

Pros

There is room for growth and there are many repeat customers so a professional relationship can grow

Cons

Management was very unprofessional and brought personal issues to their job

A closer observation on upper management would solve many issues

Upper management=Epic Fail

Former Employee - Store Manager  in  Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Atlanta, GA

I worked at TravelCenters of America full-time for more than a year

Pros

Steady paycheck. They offer limited benefits and do not match your 401k.

Cons

Will not let you hire the manpower to run the store. Worked 80-90 hours a week. Entry employees are only hired at part time, and part time to this company means 29 hours a week.

Not going to waste my time. Won't listen anyways.

Low Salary For Working Like a Dog

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Greencastle, PA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Greencastle, PA

I worked at TravelCenters of America full-time for more than a year

Pros

meet a wide variety of people
    Gas discount

Cons

long hours, or not enough hours (depending on department), low pay

Roadsquad is the worst part of TA

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Westlake, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Westlake, OH

I worked at TravelCenters of America full-time for more than a year

Pros

Benefits are decent, Tuition reimbursement is good, coworkers are friendly

Cons

They dont match 401k, pay is below average especially the Roadsquad department. The roadsquad department is ran from the HQ in Westlake, OH. If you get a call for an interview, my advice is to keep looking. The department is 24/7 365 days a year. It is way understaffed and you answer phones all day long with no breaks or lunches. As soon as u hang up the phone, it rings again and u must answer. You are monitored in every aspect imaginable and its impossible to live up to the expectations. Bathroom breaks are scrutinized, leads and managers constantly look for ways that u are not working hard enough. You dont get to participate in company events because the department is so understaffed - you dont even feel like your part of the company. The turnover is so high and apparently thats ok since nothing is ever done to fix it. Many people just walk off the job. It is that bad and worse. It feels like the department is not monitored by any executive managers since so many things are wrong with the department. OSHA standards are definitely not met by not allowing employees to use the restroom and not allowing breaks. Employees at the roadsquad take anywhere from 70-100 calls a day. There are so many things you have to remember with 1000s of different companies it is almost laughable. Morale is extremely low and its been this way for a long time. I can go on and on but I hope this makes my point. Stay away from this department.

How about looking into the high turnover rate? Im sure your shareholders would like the company to cut out wasted spending in the highest turnover rate at a company Ive ever seen.

Not the same place it was before.

I worked at TravelCenters of America full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The people and the comradely.

Cons

Went from a caring, employee oriented company that concentrated on the bottom line while respecting and treating employees well to a company that only is interested in the bottom line. Employees were not considered the most important asset of the company any longer. All the compensation is at the top, over paid, and not willing to share fairly.

Respect and listen to your employees. Turn around and look what you have done and correct it. Your retail establishments are suffering, and it is not a friendly place to visit because your employees are looking for other jobs.

Disappointing, had a sever lack of respect

Current Employee - QSR Employee  in  Morris, IL
    Current Employee - QSR Employee in Morris, IL

I have been working at TravelCenters of America part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

401K plan was okay. That was really the only thing good about my experience with this company.

Cons

Made us pay for meals, limited hours, took away any raises. They also did not respect their workers, we were constantly yelled at on every visit and had no job security.

Worked for TravelCenters of America? Contribute to the Community!