Travelers Companies

Updated February 18, 2015
3.6

Travelers Companies Chairman & CEO Jay S. Fishman
Jay S. Fishman

Pros
  • Most (though not all) managers are supportive of the HR line on work/life balance (in 45 reviews)

• Great Benefits / Salary is at upper end for most all adjusting jobs (in 44 reviews)

Cons
  • There is zero work/life balance with micro-management of every aspect of the job (in 30 reviews)

• Upper management says new tools are there to help but in fact cause three times more work (in 21 reviews)

More Highlights

161 Employee Reviews Back to all Reviews

Great collaborative culture. Lots of opportunity to move around the organization. Quite resistant to change, however.

Former Employee - Insurance Operations Leadership Development Program in Hartford, CT

I worked at Travelers Companies full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Travelers has a high performing culture that manages to stay very collaborative as opposed to adversarial. Depends on the manager obviously, but I noticed generally positive manger-employee relationships where everyone was respected and their opinions valued/considered.

Lateral movement seems to be supported and encouraged, so there's a lot of opportunity to try out different roles across the organization. If you're anywhere along the path of corporate leadership, you should expect to take on 2-3 lateral assignments before moving up in the organization.

I was part of a Leadership Development Program and those especially give you great exposure across the org and allow you to work on some cool projects. I highly recommend these programs to college grads.

Note: I left the organization to pursue a graduate degree.

Cons

As with many big organizations, the place is very resistant to change. Innovation is often lost, never making it past the middle-management level. If new ideas do make the journey from individual contributor to senior management, they are often diluted and seen as too risky by management.

Also, though collaboration is a good thing, I noticed a few situations where a seemingly insignificant decision took several meetings worth of leadership discussion because no one would make a decision without consensus.

Finally, the organization is extremely siloed, and so redundancy and inefficiency runs rampant.

Be a little more open to change. I get that an insurance company is risk averse. But to throw 100 lawyers at every business decision and have them take it apart and dilute it makes for an extremely slow moving organization that inevitably will fall behind those competitors who take risks.

Solid Company

Former Employee - Financial Controls in Hartford, CT
    Former Employee - Financial Controls in Hartford, CT

I worked at Travelers Companies full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Strong company, competitive salary, good benefits and vacation days, good training, decent co-workers, work/life balance.

Cons

Some departments are very micromanaged, suspicious management, lack of communication which results in staff hearing about things from other departments rather than their management team.

Have a little more trust in your staff. Not everyone is out to get you.

Great company to work with

Current Employee - Solution Architect in Hartford, CT
    Current Employee - Solution Architect in Hartford, CT

I have been working at Travelers Companies

Pros

a great employee friendly to work with

Cons

You have to keep yourself updated always in terms of technology.

Travelers is a hard working, stringent, productive, profitable company.

Current Employee - Senior Business Systems Analyst in Hartford, CT
    Current Employee - Senior Business Systems Analyst in Hartford, CT

I have been working at Travelers Companies full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Strong, winning attitude and work ethics, engaging the brightest people in the industry.

Cons

Tight and very demanding deadlines, very high expectations, very old school regarding working from home/remotely, not a lot of work life balance.

Adjust environment to be have more flexible work schedules/wfh options to help employees with families obtain a better work/life balance.

Review

Current Employee - Senior Workforce Specialist in Hartford, CT
    Current Employee - Senior Workforce Specialist in Hartford, CT

I have been working at Travelers Companies full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Reasonable pay. 5% 401 k match

Cons

Moved to a 365/24/7 model

Typical Insurance Company

Former Employee - Product Manager in Hartford, CT
    Former Employee - Product Manager in Hartford, CT

I worked at Travelers Companies full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Good compensation, not bad for Hartford area

Cons

The industry and the people are stuck in their old ways

Good Experience as BI Intern

Former Intern - BI Intern in Hartford, CT
    Former Intern - BI Intern in Hartford, CT

I worked at Travelers Companies as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

I was a summer intern at Travelers as a BI intern. They provided me with real work exeperience using technologies like SQL, SSIS, SSRS, along with other third party technologies. They also had a very good review process in the middle and end of the summer and I felt like I really knew where I stood as far as how they liked me work goes

Cons

There weren't too many cons while working as an intern. One thing that would have been good was to attend meeting in order to get a larger picture of what was going on with the system I was developing.

Great place to work in IT if work/life balance is important

Current Employee - Technology Director in Hartford, CT
    Current Employee - Technology Director in Hartford, CT

I have been working at Travelers Companies full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Generous vacation, health benefits, 401K etc. You won't make as much money as in New York or Boston but the benefits are top notch and cost of living is a bit lower than in a major city (although not that much since CT is an expensive state).

Leadership development programs here are also incredibly good and can provide great career starts. With those, career advancement is easy. Outside of the development programs, advancing might be harder as the culture is working somewhat against the company in that regard. A lot of people stay here for 20, 30, or even more years and so there's typically not that many new opportunities opening up outside of VP and higher levels.

Work atmosphere is unparalleled given what I've heard about other companies in the area. This is not a start-up and while the environment might seems as more traditional/conservative, the overall culture is that of a big family atmosphere. Internal competition with colleagues is a no-no and advancement at the expense of others will lead to a quick departure from here. Everyone is encouraged to work as one big team.

Travelers excels at work life balance with multi-week vacations after you've been here for a few years, ability to carry over vacation time, and ability to purchase more vacation time if needed. In IT, ability to work from home is also there and is available for various life events (sick, family need, snowing outside, etc.). There are people that work remote full-time but that's very limited here and most people will typically be hired to work in Hartford. That means you're expected to come in. However management is very flexible on opportunities to work from home, come late, leave early etc. if life demands. Very low stress environment overall.

Cons

Limited bonus potential and profit sharing when working in core IT and not in one of the business units. You're also located in Hartford which for folks in their 20s and 30s is not the optimal place to be given that there much better areas for young professionals close to this region (New York, Boston).

Parking is a nightmare given that most people stay here their whole life. Wait-lists for on-campus underground parking facilities (there are 4) exceed 20 years of service. All of them. Typically you would park at the Convention Center which requires a walk outside and so not optimal in bad weather. Higher positions would typically negotiate garage parking right away so would not be an issue for higher management hires.

work environment

Former Employee - Senior Architect in Hartford, CT
    Former Employee - Senior Architect in Hartford, CT

I worked at Travelers Companies full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

employee care; good medical plans; pension; flexible timings

Cons

comparatively low compensations; slow growth; not very tech savvy

employee enrichment; skill matching; break the barriers for ambitious people

Marketing is nonexistent

Former Employee - Marketing in Hartford, CT
    Former Employee - Marketing in Hartford, CT

I worked at Travelers Companies full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Underwriting, underwriting, underwriting, underwriting, underwriting.

Cons

If you're in marketing, or aspire to be, look elsewhere. Underwriting is what drives the bus.

Really listen to and, more importantly, be honest with your employees. It would also help to have a better understanding of how that insurance marketplace works.

Travelers Companies Photos