Travelers Companies

Updated Apr 20, 2014

Travelers Companies Chairman & CEO Jay S. Fishman

Jay S. Fishman

119 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Challenging, various opportunities for growth

I have been working at Travelers Companies full-time for more than 5 years

ProsHuge company with various opportunities for growth. Each department is like its own organization. People are nice, flexible culture, accepting towards family life balance.

ConsVery little focus on training and education of employees, raises are minimal, political organization - sometimes you need to be able to learn how to navigate politically to succeed.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake more risks with high performing employees - let them think out of the box.

Good but not a lot of bureaucracy and politics

Senior Director (Current Employee)

I have been working at Travelers Companies full-time for more than 5 years

ProsLarge company with a lot of opportunities to network and learn; great employee benefits beyond just insurance and 401k -- diversity networks; speakers; activities; extremely impressive executive leadership

ConsIn some areas, Travelers still has an "old boys" culture which makes it very difficult for new people to come in and make a difference -- very clickish.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement needs to do skip level meetings to understand what is really going on. What I am beginning to realize is that if they do, that means they have to acknowledge it and actually do something about it!

Sound company with a healthy work environment

I have been working at Travelers Companies full-time for more than 3 years

ProsLarge organization with good P&C insurance products and sound business practices. Good work environment with employees motivated and working towards a common goal. Employee friendly policies. Strong community relations

ConsSlow to adopt new platforms and technologies.

Advice to Senior ManagementStreamlining management structure can save costs for the organization while empowering employees.

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A good company to work for

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Travelers Companies full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat people and growth potential.

ConsThe biggest con to working here is that you feel like "just a number".

Old school insurance company

I have been working at Travelers Companies full-time for more than 3 years

ProsRelatively stable if you are in the right group, easy job. Some group have good work-life balance but this is going away when I left.

ConsCheap on compensation/benefit in the industry. Your career path does not depend on your performance at all.

Probably one of the best insurance companies to work for

Underwriter (Former Employee)

I worked at Travelers Companies full-time for more than 3 years

ProsYou get more perks if you work in home office.
Salaries are fair.

ConsLife-work balance depends on the business unit you work for. Claims and underwriting can forget about it.
Educational benefits are limited.

Advice to Senior Managementget rid of the personal auto insurance

the wrong company for a lifetime career

Claims Adjuster (Former Employee)

I worked at Travelers Companies full-time for more than 10 years

Prossalary above average

Consyou work for everything you get, and second place is not an option.

Advice to Senior Managementacknowledge the hard working employees, instead of making excuses for the non performers.

Not the place for me

Internal Audit (Former Employee)
Hartford, CT

I worked at Travelers Companies full-time for more than a year

ProsGood cafeterias and convenient location downtown Hartford.

ConsThere is a large amount of 'throw you under the bus' attitude. People are nice outwardly but watch out behind your back. I saw this in several departments. VP and above are considered holier than thou. Their word is the law, even if another approach would be better. I have worked at several companies but I would say the amount of negativity was highest here. I found seniority with the company counts for much more when it comes to promotions that the quality, merit, or ability of the individual. Many individual have been with the company for 20-30 years. The salaries are low as Hartford job market is very limited. If you want to switch employers you pretty much have to relocate.

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote based on meritocracy.

Watch out for yourself, cause nobody else will.

CAT (Former Employee)

I worked at Travelers Companies full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGet to travel alot and the office coffee was excellent.

ConsI was a real employeer who owned a construction company for close to 18 years prior to coming in with Travelers. I was a real honest, genuine, well respected, kind-hearted boss to many employees. When I took the adjuster job I was treated by my managers and fellow co-workers very poorly with no respect at all. Managers are extensively trained how to put you down and keep you down all while appearing to saying it nicely, they actually are trained to do this.

Everybody was looking out for themselves and would use you to further their place in the company, this was widespread and consistent through all offices I visited in the company. I was on the CAT team and the only person who seems to care about your welfare was the head of the dept. but you couldn't trust going to him with any ideas or concerns due to the fact that there were so many sharks in the pool and especially the managers who will do anything they can to make you look bad to further their career in the company. Once he asked managers to leave to get constructive responses from people and everybody laughed. But it couldn't have been more true. There was not one upper management person you could trust because of this, as a matter of fact everybody was like this. This kind of environment is created from the top down and can be internally changed, but it starts from the top.
If you are not part of the click you will keep to yourself to protect you and your family.
The managers gave the impression that you could use them as a resource, but this is simply not the case, because they will use anything you say against you in every situation.
If you are a nice person you will not climb the ladder or get any pay incentives, you'll just stay an adjuster where you belong.
I wish my experience here didn't feel like a pit in my stomach when I think about it. A good supervisior would have helped with that.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere's alot I could say here but it wouldn't do any good because they know exactly what they are doing.

Good experience and culture, consistently lower than market pay, make you get $$ you want on initial negotiation!

Senior Financial Consultant (Current Employee)

I have been working at Travelers Companies full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGood work environment, lot of opportunities to learn, contribute, and add value

ConsSlow career growth , management is reactive vs proactive with top performers, and HR has a wall of silence - lot of promises made, but they preach about "opportunity" and lag well behind competitors in the compensation dept

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen you identify someone as top talent and then tell them that, be proactive in your career growth development as well as compensation. Don't simply take a back seat and assume people these folks will stay because "your so lucky you work for travelers"

Worked for Travelers Companies? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Travelers Companies reviews and ratings in Connecticut — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Travelers Companies CEO Jay S. Fishman. All 119 reviews posted anonymously by Travelers Companies employees.