Travelers Companies Reviews

Reset
3.6
Travelers Companies Chairman & CEO Jay S. Fishman
Jay S. Fishman

Pros
  • Most (though not all) managers are supportive of the HR line on work/life balance (in 45 reviews)

• Great benefits and compensation (in 44 reviews)

Cons
  • There is ZERO work/life balance (in 30 reviews)

• Upper management says new tools are there to help but in fact cause three times more work (in 21 reviews)

1. Great Company

Current Employee - Consultant in Hartford, CT
    Current Employee - Consultant in Hartford, CT

I have been working at Travelers Companies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are too many to list but there is good pay, great opportunities, industry leader. Culture generally can be different from department to department though.

Cons

With any company this size there will always be things that one could complain about. I think generally speaking all of my experiences have been positive

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees and keep up the good work

2. Good working environment that allows for growth

Current Employee - QA Consultant in Hartford, CT
    Current Employee - QA Consultant in Hartford, CT

I have been working at Travelers Companies full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Work culture in my department is great and there is potential growth if you know where to look. Salary isn't as competitive but we get good benefits to make up for it.

Cons

Project opportunities can be limited which may leave some folks concerned about what they'll be doing next. As mentioned above, salary isn't as competitive

Advice to Management

Quite a few managers leave something to be desired while others really allow you to grow organically

3. Market Analyst

I have been working at Travelers Companies full-time

Pros

You have a lot of great exposure to many different departments as well as many opportunities for advancement.

Cons

Cubicle style working conditions can be pretty cramped at times. If you come in early or stay late the lights will be very dim because they're on automatic timers.

Advice to Management

Due to the competitive nature of having several dozen Market Analysts working next to each other, make sure you are very blunt on your feedback. If you tell them they are doing a great job when they're not, the word will spread quickly and ultimately hold that person back.

5. Travelers

Current Employee - Onsite Test Lead in Hartford, CT
    Current Employee - Onsite Test Lead in Hartford, CT

I have been working at Travelers Companies

Pros

Good Company to work with

Cons

Not much opportunists to work

Great Company

Former Employee - Claims Analyst in Hartford, CT
    Former Employee - Claims Analyst in Hartford, CT

I worked at Travelers Companies (Less than a year)

Pros

Great company, people, and overall a wonderful place to work for. Lots of paid time off, good competitive pay, and lots of room for growth.

Cons

High Volume work load as a auto adjuster, bad schedule 11pm-8pm, and added responsibilities that were not mentioned on the job description or interview.

7. Assoc Information Engineer

I have been working at Travelers Companies

Pros

I have worked for the company for over 10 years. Benefits are good and most of the people I work with are very helpful.

Cons

Promotions are hard to come by unless you have a position which is "out there". Raises and Bonuses are rare no matter how hard you work.

Advice to Management

There are too many levels of management. Bring the work back on shore. Some areas are busy and others don't have enough to do but we still have off shore staffs.

8. Stay away

Current Employee - Marketing in Hartford, CT
    Current Employee - Marketing in Hartford, CT

I have been working at Travelers Companies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

A large company, lots of job opportunities, one of the larger employers in the Hartford area.

Cons

Very cheap company. No free coffee, no water coolers, no kitchens, pay for your own parking, medical premiums are 2x my last company. No lunch hour, meetings 9 hours per day, you are expected to do actual work in your free time (nights/weekends). No work life balance. Tons of pressure, no give backs, abusive management. Greed and competition are the only values here.

Advice to Management

Treat people with some level of civility and humanity.

Family environment where everyone is the teacher and student

Current Employee - Claim Operations Specialist in Hartford, CT
    Current Employee - Claim Operations Specialist in Hartford, CT

I have been working at Travelers Companies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working on a smaller team really focused on using everyone's strengths; everyone is the teacher and student at one point. During onboarding, of course the veterans are mentoring the new hires for the most part, but the new people also have the opportunity to teach regularly as well, which really helps to foster an environment of teamwork.

Cons

There are too many different ways of doing tasks, some not necessarily efficient, just "how they've always been done". Makes for very complicated execution when looking to use veterans as a resource.

Advice to Management

Less micromanaging; Travelers is lucky to have a wealth of amazing speakers who give solid advice on effective leadership; I've seen some in leadership positions watch these talks and echo the sentiments, however in reality some continue to micromanage every single task which becomes aggravating for some and overwhelming for others, especially those who previously had been given independence to perform their job independently for decades. Find out the strengths of your employees and use that. And work to make sure they are not drowning in work.

10. Top P&C carrier

Former Employee - 2vp in Hartford, CT
    Former Employee - 2vp in Hartford, CT

I worked at Travelers Companies full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Solid company with a very good Sr leader and vast expertise across the Property Casualty marketplace. The multiple specialties are the result of staff many years experience who joined the firm via numerous mergers years ago.

Cons

It can be difficult to move from division to division. Sr leadership is starting to transition which can raise questions on future opportunity. The HR department can be very slow and unresponsive.

Acidic Environment

Former Employee - Operations in Hartford, CT
    Former Employee - Operations in Hartford, CT

I worked at Travelers Companies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits (401) Networking is fairly easy Pay is middle ground Work/life balance isn't awful Tons of opportunities for growth

Cons

Very poor training Management is not about knowledge/skill No sense of team Unrealistic workloads Nepotism runs rampant Metrics run your life The company is too large to care

Advice to Management

Honestly senior management does a decent job, travelers is very secure when it comes to money, it's your middle level people who run their regions and offices poorly. Morale is weak at many offices and people are basically left to fend for themselves making it very bad to work within many offices. You can definitely make a set of money here and be secure when it comes to benefits, but other than that I would not recommend it. The entire time I worked there I felt like I walked on eggshells trying to make others happy their. Small things turn out to be big and important matters. Many employees are one sided (which is fine) but also resort to destroying others in order to advance themselves.

RSS Feed </> Embed