Travelers Companies

Travelers Companies Reviews in Hartford, CT

Updated Jul 7, 2014

Travelers Companies Chairman & CEO Jay S. Fishman

Jay S. Fishman

Pros
  • Most (though not all) managers are supportive of the HR line on work/life balance(in 40 reviews)

• Great Benefits / Salary is at upper end for most all adjusting jobs(in 42 reviews)

Cons
  • There is no work life balance, although they continually stress that it exists(in 27 reviews)

• Micromanage, no work life balance, ridiculous work load(in 10 reviews)

132 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Lacks true leadership - "Lucky to have a job in this economy" constant message

Information Engineer (Current Employee) Hartford, CT

ProsCompensation decent, pension, 401k Match, Stock Grants, Bonus

ConsI personally observed numerous occasions where "friends" are pulled into the company and placed into positions they are not qualified to hold.
    There is a difference between manager and leader - too many "leaders" focused on insignificant details.
    Lack of big picture leadership.
    Leaders in IT who have never been involved in IT before, unable to understand the technology stack, unable to move the technology stack forward. Ancient technology in many areas of the company.
    TOO much process. They add more and more process - It takes 3 weeks to get one line of code into a system for testing. If you enjoy programming, do not come here. There is a reason they pay multi-million dollar contracts to software vendors. We can't get the work done, leads to apathy and boredom.
    Small to mid size projects last YEARS.
    "You are lucky to have a job" message is constant.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider streamlining IT and bringing more onshore. You have created a monster with the offshore work, how can this possibly be more efficient and cost effective?
    A few competent programmers, with less process, could easily do the work of 30 offshore programmers. You wouldn't know this though, would you? Since you have never wrote one line of code.

Solid company with strong integrity.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Hartford, CT

ProsGreat C level management
    Grounded in analytics
    Large company - lots of benefits to choose from.

ConsSlow to adapt change
    Employee reviews are complicated
    Very large campus

Challenging, various opportunities for growth

Director (Current Employee) Hartford, CT

ProsHuge company with various opportunities for growth. Each department is like its own organization. People are nice, flexible culture, accepting towards family life balance.

ConsVery little focus on training and education of employees, raises are minimal, political organization - sometimes you need to be able to learn how to navigate politically to succeed.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake more risks with high performing employees - let them think out of the box.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good but not a lot of bureaucracy and politics

Senior Director (Current Employee) Hartford, CT

ProsLarge company with a lot of opportunities to network and learn; great employee benefits beyond just insurance and 401k -- diversity networks; speakers; activities; extremely impressive executive leadership

ConsIn some areas, Travelers still has an "old boys" culture which makes it very difficult for new people to come in and make a difference -- very clickish.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement needs to do skip level meetings to understand what is really going on. What I am beginning to realize is that if they do, that means they have to acknowledge it and actually do something about it!

Not a bad place to spend your career

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Hartford, CT

ProsCo-workers make it enjoyable
    They pay market average
    Flexible schedules

ConsBusiness leadership fails to understand the marketplace. we're slow to use data available to improve our company positioning due to politics and territorial issues within our LOBs

Advice to Senior ManagementListen more to those who are the boots on the ground

Sound company with a healthy work environment

Director (Current Employee) Hartford, CT

ProsLarge organization with good P&C insurance products and sound business practices. Good work environment with employees motivated and working towards a common goal. Employee friendly policies. Strong community relations

ConsSlow to adopt new platforms and technologies.

Advice to Senior ManagementStreamlining management structure can save costs for the organization while empowering employees.

A good company to work for

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Hartford, CT

ProsGreat people and growth potential.

ConsThe biggest con to working here is that you feel like "just a number".

Old school insurance company

Director (Current Employee) Hartford, CT

ProsRelatively stable if you are in the right group, easy job. Some group have good work-life balance but this is going away when I left.

ConsCheap on compensation/benefit in the industry. Your career path does not depend on your performance at all.

Probably one of the best insurance companies to work for

Underwriter (Former Employee) Hartford, CT

ProsYou get more perks if you work in home office.
    Salaries are fair.

ConsLife-work balance depends on the business unit you work for. Claims and underwriting can forget about it.
    Educational benefits are limited.

Advice to Senior Managementget rid of the personal auto insurance

the wrong company for a lifetime career

Claims Adjuster (Former Employee) Hartford, CT

Prossalary above average

Consyou work for everything you get, and second place is not an option.

Advice to Senior Managementacknowledge the hard working employees, instead of making excuses for the non performers.

Worked for Travelers Companies? Contribute to the Community!