Travelers Companies
www.travelers.com Hartford, CT 5000+ Employees

Travelers Companies Reviews

These reviews contributed towards 2010's Best Places to Work recognition. See ratings and reviews for all time.

Pros:
  • "Most (though not all) managers are supportive of the HR line on work/life balance"
    in 38 reviews
  • "Established financially strong organization with great benefits and positive atmosphere"
    in 35 reviews
Cons:
  • "Preachs work-life balance : over-demanding job"
    in 24 reviews
  • "Little advice from senior management in direction of company"
    in 19 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Travelers Takes Care of It's Own

Property Field Adjuster (Current Employee)
Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Travelers Companies

ProsDuring the past year there have been many changes in the business environment. Reorganization has eliminated some positions. Still, Travelers has kept many employees who would otherwise be laid off by moving and training them to new positions. This gives employees opportunity to learn new skills, stay employed in a tough economy, and perhaps advance in the long term.

Travelers supports the virtual office and working at home. Flexibility is great, benefits are great. I can't find too much to complain about since I set my own schedule, have a company provided car, internet, cell phone and am trusted to make decisions in the field.

Training is first rate. Claims University spares no expense to make sure adjuster's get the best training possible.

There is a good sense of team locally and across the country.

The company is stable and making loads of money. There is opportunity for bonus pay and the benefits are first rate - the PPO for my family is wonderful.

ConsThere is some "what have you done for me lately" style of file review. For example, you could settle a claim for $1, but have your filed "failed" for not checking off a box in the computer system - that's the wrong way to motivate an adjuster on a file that is 98% "A+" but fails on a technicality.

Travelers sometimes spends $$$ to settle a $ claim. "Beat the horse til it's dead" is the implied method of investigation, sometimes putting way too much effort into a small claim. On the flip side, however, concentration on doing the right thing every time assures that every file gets the proper attention. Small claims often turn into larger claims, so some of this anal behavior is justified.

Whatever the gripes of people that can't take the review process, my advice is "don't fight it." If the UM tells you "this is the way it is to be done," then do it that way. If you follow advice of your UM, you will do well. People that fight back and gripe are irritating to listen to and eventually quit.

There are not many places to work where everything is perfect. I've had managers at other companies give no review, and then pound you when something goes wrong. Travelers managers will always let you know how things are going.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't fail a file for the sake of a small error. Keep up the training. Keep communication going with line employees.

Ok...

Product Analyst (Current Employee)
Hartford, CT

ProsGreat pay and benefits
Flexible schedule

ConsUnorganized management
No clear vision or expectations
Sink or Swim environment

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees, make time for those that make time for you

Not your Father's Travelers- That's a Good Thing

Claim Professional (Current Employee)
Melville, NY

I have been working at Travelers Companies

ProsTravelers is a prudent and disciplined place but far from sleepy or complacent. Prudence and discipline has given it the strength of a market leader. Yet, the place embraces the necessity of change. Residual silo issues remain, as do an element of backward longing employees- but the enterprise move forward and is exciting for those who see the bridge to the land of opportunity.

ConsProfit margin opportunities in P&C insurance is thin, and to exceed expectations you need a skilled and motivated workforce that is committed to long term investment of time to get it right for the business. For many, that requires great sacrifice of work-life balance. For many who remember a less demanding culture before the St Paul - Travelers merger, those demands are a threat to an order whose failure they refuse to see and whose perpetuation they see as an entitlement. For those who survive and thrive- and there are more than a few- there are rewards.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe aware of the pain of too much change too fast for some can be a distraction to the progress of the place to its future state.

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Poor morale, but good job

Senior Business Analyst (Former Employee)
Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Travelers Companies

ProsExcellent Benefits
Constant Technology Improvements
Strong Financial Status
Large Company with Many Locations (More Opportunities Available)
Solid Senior Management Structure

ConsPoor Morale of Workers
Not Much Corporate Culture
Not a Fun Place to Work
Subpar Middle Management
Easy to Get Discouraged with Little Direction Given at Times

Advice to Senior ManagementI suggest that management stop wasting money on tacky promotional items for staff and select their middle management more wisely.

Good IT Opportunities if you are patient and skilled at influencing

IT Manager (Current Employee)
Saint Paul, MN

I have been working at Travelers Companies

ProsThere are great opportunities to learn how a large national company works
Great place to practice political savvy
Excellent financial performance

ConsThe company is highly silo'd
The company tends to be risk averse and is therefore a slow decision maker
Business unit heads do not work together with coordinated goals and objectives

Advice to Senior ManagementSenior leadership needs to work on incentivizing business unit heads to work with each other to share processes, people and goals. The company is way too silo'd and it's causing higher operating costs and lower effectiveness - just look at our expense ratio compared to our competitors.

Great place to start a career

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Travelers Companies

ProsGreat place to start your career and they offer great prgrams that help develop their employees into true leaders in the insurance industry

ConsSome of the middle to upper level managers had responsibilites at various locations and it made it difficult to oversee the opperation

Advice to Senior ManagementThe Upper level management is one of the most competent group of people in the insurance industry and will continue to help travelers thrive

The benefits are nice.

I have been working at Travelers Companies

ProsGreat benefits (medical, PTO, retirement)
Work well if time is needed off, no questions asked.
No weekends or holidays.
Compensation is fair.

ConsThere is way too much micro management.
Too many chief's, not enough indians.
Raises only once per year.
Compensation is not based on performance, but rather "how the economy is doing"

Advice to Senior ManagementMore recognition to people who perform their job well would be nice (more money).

What

Underwriter Trainee (Current Employee)
Richmond, VA

I have been working at Travelers Companies

ProsThe comfort of working for a stable, conservative company that cares about developing their people.

ConsSome of the management needs to improper on their managerial skills.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed better people skills.

ITLDP

Hartford, CT

I have been working at Travelers Companies

ProsFocus on more leadership development.

ConsIt is a 4 years program.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

Review

Houston, TX

I have been working at Travelers Companies

ProsThey want to recognize & promote those who do a really, really, really good job
They really try not to lay off people. They will let employees know that their dept is downsizing & will allow those employees to obtain positions in order departments in order to avoid layoffs.

ConsSalaries are not top notch.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone.

Worked for Travelers Companies? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Travelers Companies reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Travelers Companies CEO Jay S. Fishman. All 58 reviews posted anonymously by Travelers Companies employees.