Travelers Companies Reviews

Reset
3.3
Travelers Companies Chairman & CEO Jay S. Fishman
Jay S. Fishman

Pros
  • Most (though not all) managers are supportive of the HR line on work/life balance (in 45 reviews)

• Great benefits and compensation (in 44 reviews)

Cons
  • There is ZERO work/life balance (in 30 reviews)

• Upper management says new tools are there to help but in fact cause three times more work (in 21 reviews)

Internship review

Current Employee - Product Management Intern in Hartford, CT
    Current Employee - Product Management Intern in Hartford, CT

I have been working at Travelers Companies

Pros

Great people work within the company. Everyone seems competent and pleasant to work with. The job responsibilities are organized well and leadership is respectful of its staff. The pay is great compared to similar internships. Work-life balance is a big concern of management and there is a lot of dedication within the company to get to know your coworkers socially.

Cons

The location in Hartford could be better. While Travelers spends a lot of well-spent effort working to inform and involve employees of any exciting events and activities that take place around the Hartford area, there still is a limited selection of things to do for a young professional (I am an intern) in comparison to other cities.

Advice to Management

I would tell management to liberalize their strategies for growth; they should be more progressive in order to establish themselves as a leader in the industry.

A great place to work!

Current Employee - Information Engineer in Hartford, CT
    Current Employee - Information Engineer in Hartford, CT

I have been working at Travelers Companies

Pros

Travelers is a great place to work. There's plenty of opportunities to get involved in various activities- whether projects at work or in the community. They also seem to have taken a greater interest in employee growth/development over the past year or so. It's a great culture, and the demands of the job are balanced and very reasonable; many friends have joined from other companies and they've been completely surprised by the willingness of others to help, the work/life balance, and openness of management.

Cons

For a company that makes its money dealing with unknown, the company is surprisingly risk averse in many ways. And I guess being in insurance, it's not a surprise that we're not always cutting-edge when it comes to its policies or technology.

Advice to Management

More communications have been appearing lately, especially on the intranet, so keep that up. I'd also recommend making the all employee meetings a bit more interesting, it seems that would be a great opportunity to discuss the big picture, current/future strategies, rally the troops to watch expenses or drive new business, etc., instead of just revisiting the quarterly numbers (although they're certainly important).

3. Awesome company

Current Employee - Underwriter in Plano, TX
    Current Employee - Underwriter in Plano, TX

I have been working at Travelers Companies

Pros

Benefit package, work life balance

Cons

none, good company to work for

Advice to Management

consider telecommuting and4 day work weeks

5. Nice place to work for with good career path.

Current Employee - Underwriter Trainee in Hartford, CT
    Current Employee - Underwriter Trainee in Hartford, CT

I have been working at Travelers Companies

Pros

There is flexability in hours worked.

Cons

Lack of communication with management.

Advice to Management

provide more communication with your employees.

6. Overall a good place to work-

Current Employee - Senior Business Systems Analyst in Hartford, CT
    Current Employee - Senior Business Systems Analyst in Hartford, CT

I have been working at Travelers Companies

Pros

In my limited experience there is room for advancement The pay is competitive, or slightly higher than other insurers in the area Organization allows work/life balance to be achieved- Ability to work from home occasionally Ability to take the bus saves gas and parking expenses Still an in the office culture- majority of meeting are face to face- not over the phone

Cons

You have to pay for parking in Hartford or take the bus. During school season it takes me an hour by bus to travel the 12 miles in to hartford. Breaking the culture- the majority of folks who have been here 20+ years and don't even know what a Business Analyst is. I get slightly less vacation time than with UHC. Still an in the office culture- majority of meeting are face to face- not over the phone

Advice to Management

Drive the change that is sought out from others in the organization. Be more visible leaders.

Travelers Gives You No Reason to Travel Elsewhere

Current Employee - Risk Control Consultant in Alpharetta, GA
    Current Employee - Risk Control Consultant in Alpharetta, GA

I have been working at Travelers Companies

Pros

Compensation for job well done. Not every one of my peers automatically receives a bonus - those just doing their job, doing the minimum do not necessarily receive a bonus like other insurance companies that I have worked for. This is also a very strong company financially. I rarely hear anyone complain about the compnay, Morale is very high, great people to work with!

Cons

Opportunities for growth, though that does not matter to me that much. I am not interested in a promotion as much as good compensation for a job well done.

Advice to Management

To remember that top performers need to be duly compensated so they never feel reason to look around for another job,

Great Place to Work

Current Employee - Claims Representative in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Claims Representative in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Travelers Companies

Pros

Company is financially stable. Compensation is excellent. Good opportunities for a bonus if you work hard. Office environment is very professional. I came from a Personal Lines company, and I like that Travelers has Commercial Lines as well. People are encouraged to move to different lines it they want to. Management is approachable.

Cons

Very high expectations. Not the place to be if you want a cushy 8-5 job.

Advice to Management

Would like to see CEO come to the office a little more.

9. Great Opportunities Await

Current Employee - Claims Representative in Fall River, MA
    Current Employee - Claims Representative in Fall River, MA

I have been working at Travelers Companies

Pros

Opportunities for advancement exist regardless of age, race, or gender. Decent pay and benefits. Company generously rewards hard workers and offers a fairly casual atmosphere where employees get along well. Company offers flexible hours to accomodate daycare, doctors appointments, etc

Cons

Company has *very* high expectations of its employees. Loyalty is a must - if you leave the company, it may be hard to come back.. Job requirements increase and employees are expected to work harder to keep up - no excuses.

Advice to Management

Hire more assistants for help with time consuming tasks, it will make claims reps more productive.

10. Great Company

Current Employee - Claims Service Representative in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Claims Service Representative in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Travelers Companies

Pros

Great career opportuities and great schedule!

Cons

you are always on the phones.

Advice to Management

Great job with motivation and caring for employees.

11. Great, conservative company

Current Employee - Account Executive
    Current Employee - Account Executive

I have been working at Travelers Companies

Pros

Stable Company with little risk of losing position. Pay is fairly competitive with similar companies and benefits are reasonably priced as well.

Cons

Same issues with most large companies, peopel are opposed to change even when it is more effecient. Some of the sysetms are outdated. Senior management is extremely conservative with regards to finances. Although this has put us in an great position compared to the remainder of the market, we fail to act on standing. There seem to be plenty of purchasing opportunties, but we remain in our steadfast, conservative ways. It would be nice if we could pick up the pace a little and be more recognized.

Advice to Management

Be a little bit more aggresive in sizing up acquisition opportunities. Shareholders are important, but there are possible opportunities that would make the company more profitable. We could eliminate competitors and generate a higher profit each quarter.

RSS Feed </> Embed