Travelers Companies Reviews

• Full-time
  • Part-time
Employment Status

Reset

Positive place to work, best in industry pay and benefits.

Current Employee - Claims Adjuster in Orange, CA
    Current Employee - Claims Adjuster in Orange, CA

I have been working at Travelers Companies

Pros

Travelers has a positive work environment with a lot of energy. There are frequent opportunities to be recognized for doing a good job. While some recognition may seem "rah rah", over time it extends to providing an environment where you want to do well for the good of the team.

Cons

There are a lot of meetings to attend. Sometimes training takes a lot of time away from executing the job.

Advice to Management

Explain to the employees why Travelers isn't going to melt down like other financial services companies.

2. Former employee with an objective opinion.

Current Employee - Account Manager in Alpharetta, GA
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Alpharetta, GA

I have been working at Travelers Companies

Pros

Travelers offers competitive pay and job security. Travelers is also a great place to work because of the people. It was rare, if it happened at all, that people lost their jobs at Travelers. Job security allows people to focus on their task rather than worry if they will be given a box and a pink slip.

Cons

One downside is that Travelers will probably never be the forerunner of the insurance industry. Management heavy like most large companies.

Advice to Management

Need to have some cutbacks in your area.

A great company to be with today with a great deal of potential for the future!

Current Employee - Director, Claims in Hartford, CT
    Current Employee - Director, Claims in Hartford, CT

I have been working at Travelers Companies

Pros

This is a company that is moving in the right direction, because of the values and foresight of the Senior Leadership. The culture is becoming more people oriented which will positively impact their performance in the long run. Very financially conservative pratices have positioned Travelers very well for the current economic conditions.

Cons

It can get frustrating trying to implement change, because of the conservative and collaborative culture. But in the long run the right decisions are made.

Advice to Management

Implement the mechanisms (Purpose/MIssion, Explicit Values, Credo) that will ensure that the culture continues to move toward a people orientation while maintaining the financially sound business model.

Friendly, relaxed atmosphere and great job security!

Current Employee - Analyst
    Current Employee - Analyst

I have been working at Travelers Companies

Pros

The company culture is relaxed and the people are very friendly. It seems that the company is very involved with the communities it operates in. There are always postings and announcements for opportunities to volunteer, and really makes me proud as an employee that the company is not solely concerned with its shareholders. The company has a fortress-like balance sheet and I am not worried whatsoever about losing my job as so many others in finance do.

Cons

The senior management works out of New York City, despite that the company's headquartered in St. Paul.

Advice to Management

Great job in not getting caught up in exotic financial instruments that have doomed so many other banks and insurance companies!

6. A solid, well-rounded company that's positioned nicely in this economy.

I have been working at Travelers Companies

Pros

Working at Travelers has been a great, well-rounded experience. Working for a large company provides plenty of opportunity- both laterally (I've changed jobs and careers without changing the building I work in), and upwards (growth opportunities abound, if you're proactive enough). The culture is something that is hard to quantify, but makes working here a pleasure; the interactions I've had with (most) senior management has been positive, my immediate management is great, and my coworkers are a great bunch of people. Additionally, in this economic climate, it's reassuring to be with one of the strongest companies around- and the minimal dip in its stock price over the last 6 months has also been a nice-to-have. The benefits are good- but not great. There's a fairly generous PTO policy, and the 401k match is a nice 1:1 up to a certain limit (especially with many companies cutting this), but there are middle-of-the-road health and other benefits.

Cons

Similar to other large companies, Travelers can move slowly when it comes to adopting new technologies or making decisions. If you can work within and on the 'system' of the place, and accept that any company, large or small, will be political, it's not a real issue. Other than that, I don't see many other downsides.

Advice to Management

Communicate more. Inside has been lively with news postings about current events, but some more interaction with senior managers (webcasts or articles) would be nice.

7. great company

I have been working at Travelers Companies

Pros

As an intern at Traveler's insurance I been given an incredible number of opportunities. I have attended a meeting with the CEO, lunch with a member of senior management and been given incredible advice from coworkers. The company is very supportive of interns. Managers are friendly and understanding.

Cons

As someone who is not in an intern program but rather someone with a basic summer job, I would say that the expectation for work is very low. Many of the other persons with a similar position to me are directly connected to high level executives, take the job for granted and do very little work. As someone who worked for a connection and employment, I came in expecting to do work and learn about the responsibilities of a regular employee. Instead I spend most of my time asking managers for work and killing time.

Advice to Management

My only advice would be to: 1) continue the conservative approach to investments; 2) Look with more ferver at expansion into international markets; 3) Give summer interns the opportunity to participate in work with the office.

8. Great Employer

Current Employee - Unit Manager in Hartford, CT
    Current Employee - Unit Manager in Hartford, CT

I have been working at Travelers Companies

Pros

Management is approachable and human. There is a strong pool of knowledgeable folks and generally the work atmosphere is positive

Cons

workload is heavy and the job is stressful. we have so many individuals to direct and when staffing is needed, it is impossible to meet our needs

Advice to Management

Like the opportunities; thanks for the environment; decrease the workload so we can get it done - need more balance

9. ITLDP

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hartford, CT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hartford, CT

I have been working at Travelers Companies

Pros

Focus on more leadership development.

Cons

It is a 4 years program.

Advice to Management

None

Travelers Takes Care of It's Own

Current Employee - Property Field Adjuster in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Property Field Adjuster in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Travelers Companies

Pros

During the past year there have been many changes in the business environment. Reorganization has eliminated some positions. Still, Travelers has kept many employees who would otherwise be laid off by moving and training them to new positions. This gives employees opportunity to learn new skills, stay employed in a tough economy, and perhaps advance in the long term. Travelers supports the virtual office and working at home. Flexibility is great, benefits are great. I can't find too much to complain about since I set my own schedule, have a company provided car, internet, cell phone and am trusted to make decisions in the field. Training is first rate. Claims University spares no expense to make sure adjuster's get the best training possible. There is a good sense of team locally and across the country. The company is stable and making loads of money. There is opportunity for bonus pay and the benefits are first rate - the PPO for my family is wonderful.

Cons

There is some "what have you done for me lately" style of file review. For example, you could settle a claim for $1, but have your filed "failed" for not checking off a box in the computer system - that's the wrong way to motivate an adjuster on a file that is 98% "A+" but fails on a technicality. Travelers sometimes spends $$$ to settle a $ claim. "Beat the horse til it's dead" is the implied method of investigation, sometimes putting way too much effort into a small claim. On the flip side, however, concentration on doing the right thing every time assures that every file gets the proper attention. Small claims often turn into larger claims, so some of this anal behavior is justified. Whatever the gripes of people that can't take the review process, my advice is "don't fight it." If the UM tells you "this is the way it is to be done," then do it that way. If you follow advice of your UM, you will do well. People that fight back and gripe are irritating to listen to and eventually quit. There are not many places to work where everything is perfect. I've had managers at other companies give no review, and then pound you when something goes wrong. Travelers managers will always let you know how things are going.

Advice to Management

Don't fail a file for the sake of a small error. Keep up the training. Keep communication going with line employees.

11. Great place to start a career

I worked at Travelers Companies

Pros

Great place to start your career and they offer great prgrams that help develop their employees into true leaders in the insurance industry

Cons

Some of the middle to upper level managers had responsibilites at various locations and it made it difficult to oversee the opperation

Advice to Management

The Upper level management is one of the most competent group of people in the insurance industry and will continue to help travelers thrive

RSS Feed </> Embed