Travelers Companies

www.travelers.com

Travelers Companies Reviews

These reviews contributed towards 2011's Best Places to Work recognition. See ratings and reviews for all time.

3.6

Travelers Companies Chairman & CEO Jay S. Fishman
Jay S. Fishman

Pros
  • Most (though not all) managers are supportive of the HR line on work/life balance (in 40 reviews)

• Great Benefits / Salary is at upper end for most all adjusting jobs (in 42 reviews)

Cons
  • There is no work life balance, although they continually stress that it exists (in 27 reviews)

• Micromanage, no work life balance, ridiculous work load (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

Great first job

Former Employee - Claims Representative  in  Independence, OH
    Former Employee - Claims Representative in Independence, OH

Pros

Travelers was a great place to start my career. Our office was very supportive of its employees and offered rewards and recognition for a job well done. When a hurricane hit and we had to respond and assist as well as handle our own claims management recognized our efforts and would have a snack cart come by. Other gifts awarded for hard work were gift cards and GPS. The salary and benefits were better than most of my former classmates from where they found their first job (mind you I graduated in a recession). I was trained by one of the best managers who has moved on to First Party Medical but she really eased us into the process.

Cons

The only real con I could say is there is a degree of micromanagement that exists. Managers are reviewing files daily and question decisions that are made. Tend to bend and appease the customer even if the decision goes against what is stated in their insurance policy. I understand the phrase "the customer is always right" but to what extent? Sometimes myself or a group of adjusters were spoken to in a way that made us feel belittled. A lot of "fake" personalities from some of the Product Line Managers. While I was there the Claim Center Manager was amazing but I heard he has moved to the California office so I cannot speak on the new individual.

To the top management of the company I would say keep up with business as usual. Travelers made it out of the financial crisis virtually unaffected and I think it is because of the core beliefs that the company has. As for management where I worked I think that they were overall effective but an overall level of trust from Unit Managers to their employees does not seem to exist.

I love my job!

Current Employee - Business Analyst  in  Hartford, CT
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Hartford, CT

Pros

There are so many opportunities within the company, so many directions to take your career. Great work life balance, great work environment and in certain parts of the company, a very community like feel .

Cons

I really cant say I have any complaints.

Good Job. Continue to be transparent and value your employees.

Everyone knows that the positive posts regarding Travelers are planted by Travelers' Corporate Communications

Former Employee - Legal Secretary  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Legal Secretary in New York, NY

Pros

If you are a young, single person willing to trade your quality of life for a resume entry that will help market you to another employer, consider working for Travelers. The compensation (if you don't care how many hours you have tow work) and benefits are relatively good.

Cons

The managers are switched around every ten minutes. They make promises that they do not keep. They lie about anything that is convenient for them to lie about. On their best day, they are very dishonest. The performance reviews are nonsense: their goal is to find something to be nasty and critical about, whether it's true or not, just so they don't have to pay you the bonus they know you truly earned.

If you had any idea how angry the ordinary workers are, you'd be amazed that this company can get any work done at all. Someday I think there's just going to be a general strike.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to work; financially stable and innovative company.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sacramento, CA

Pros

Financial stability; senior management leadership, competence, and expertise; co-worker competence and expertise; resources; pay; flexibility; benefits; recognition; interesting work; fast-pace; competitive; growth; culture of constantly striving for personal improvement; expense management

Cons

would like sabbatical time as a benefit in addition to PTO; better ability to keep ahead of change in society (i.e. iPhone app; more telecommuting).

Doing a good job.

Good Deal

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Porum, OK
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Porum, OK

Pros

It was alright there and fun

Cons

they were way too metric centered

listen to the employees and lose dead wood

It was a great place to be a summer intern. I wish I would have had more of an oppertunity to stay in touch...

Former Employee - Records Management Intern  in  Saint Paul, MN
    Former Employee - Records Management Intern in Saint Paul, MN

Pros

Management was very transparent. I worked during the time of the National Repulican Convention and our office was used to assist with security. The entire situation had the potential to be very stressful, but instead was handled very well and the culture and climate at Travelers is very positive and team orientated.

Cons

Half of the headquarters is located in CT which made it very challenging to have a strong team. We did lots of meetins via online, but it's not the same as in person.

I know they have been considering moving headquarters to CT and closing down St. Paul. I don't think this is the right move for the company. I think the midwest has a huge talent pool that they would be wasting by pulling out.

Good enough place to work at.

Current Employee - Senior QA Analyst  in  Saint Paul, MN
    Current Employee - Senior QA Analyst in Saint Paul, MN

Pros

Good enough benefits. Flexible with work and life balance.

Cons

Management needs improvements on fair compensation.

Needs improvements on employee being rewarded fairly with level of work performance done.

Satisfied X Employee

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Spokane, WA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Spokane, WA

Pros

This was a difficult job as you are tied to a phone all day and many clients are not happy about premiums and such. Travelers is a good company to work for and the compensation is fair for the dificulty of the job.

Cons

Sometimes it was dificult to get time off, due to staffing issues. This made a family and work balance dificult.

Be sure and tell the people working hard on the phones all day how well they are doing often. This is a burn out job and that would be one way to slow down teh turn over associated with call center work.

Ok to start your career

Former Employee - Analyst  in  Hartford, CT
    Former Employee - Analyst in Hartford, CT

Pros

Usually 40 hour week, good work life balance, understanding mgmt

Cons

boring industry, not a lot of young people, conservative culture, not too innovative or progressive

need to be more aware of changing workplace environments. Today's employees are looking for a diverse, accepting environment where they don't need to leave their personality at the door

Worked for Travelers Companies? Contribute to the Community!