Travelex America

Be The First To
Add Photos

Travelex America CEO Peter Jackson

Peter Jackson

Best place to learn about FOREX

Assistant Manager (Former Employee) Washington, DC

ProsYou learn the most basic stuff of how to trade all currencies, market fluctuations, gold prices, what percentage CC companies take when you use your CC abroad and much more.

ConsHQs are either in London, Canada or NYC. I was always confused which department was were.
    There was not a well-designed Training Program for new hires, all would depend on what you learned from former co-workers.

Advice to Senior ManagementTest all new hires in basic math, how to calculate a percentage for example.

Don't waste your time if you want a career.

ProsUnfortunately there are no Pros to list, this company doesn't even deserve one star.

ConsThis is the most unorganized and unprofessional environment I have ever experienced. No one in the company can answer questions for you, there is no training, and nothing to look forward to. 'I don't know' is the most common answer to questions.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire a new HR manager/staff for North America. I have never worked for a company with such a cold, unfriendly, and unenthusiastic HR team.

Travelex is UNPROFESSIONAL

Sales Consultant (Current Employee)

ProsNo promotions. The company makes it almost impossible to get bonuses or wage raises. Company does not care about their employees. Travelex ha poor management

ConsAlways had to check my paycheck and the clock in data becuase the company always tried taking money from my worked hours.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

If you have other options, don't come here.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) New York, NY

Pros6% match on 401K contributions.

A place to build experience.

I have a 20 word minimum I must fulfill, but I have nothing else nice to say.

ConsEverything else, including:

Low pay.

Lack of trust between different business groups.

Non-functioning IT support.

Dishonesty in communication from executive board on down.

Unhelpful human resources.

Global leadership lives in a bubble in London.

Advice to Senior ManagementSell the company to a group that's competent.

When looking for your next gig, look the other way when you see Travelex

Vice President (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsDecent base compensation package, benefits are OK but not great

ConsExtremely disloyal and distrustful leadership in this organization. Often felt as though they were playing a "shell game" with commissions and incentives - far too cleverly-worded outlines for commission/bonus schemes intended to mislead and truly baffle the honest earner. Felt as though they always had their hands in my pockets when I wasn't looking.

Advice to Senior ManagementReally enforce your corporate code and live by the letter of that code. Way, way too much deception going on at the branch and HQ levels. Dorfman is an awesome self-made man and a true pleasure to meet, but the kid you have as CEO now couldn't be further from the mark you're trying to hit.

Only if desperate

Sales Consultant (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsFlexible hours. Benefits are offered. Store location. You may come across some celebs and really interesting people. My team was very easy-going.

ConsLow pay.
    Low morale.
    Benefits are too expensive based on hourly salary.
    Foreign currency business is not long-term enough.
    Sales goals are almost unreasonable
    No real direction from upper management

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter training and development.
    Re-evaluate incentives.

Run for the hills

ProsIt's a paycheck. If you are full time, you will get benefits. Everything else is pretty bad. I never refer anyone there.

ConsGrossly mismanaged, promotions based strictly on favoritism/butt kissing and not on business results. Seagull management style by senior management (fly over things and crap on them), paired with a culture that promotes bullying and publically embarassing staff make it unbearable. The pay is a joke, and don't be fooled by the bonus plan - you wouldn't even be able to buy a pack of gum for what you're going to get paid.

PS: Lloyd Dorfman is no longer the leader of Travelex, so don't read reviews about him and think that has anything to do with current status.

I love it.

Sales Consultant (Current Employee) Phoenix, AZ

ProsVery easygoing job. The benefits are great. They even help you pay for college. They pay 100 percent if the field you are studing is directly related to Travelex.

ConsHigh demands. The Sales Consultant title is tested when you find yourself doing management duties, but it does make you feel proud of the things you are doing.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would advice them to try to promote more within. I have been working really hard for a position that is still to become open. I hope when it does I am offered the chance to take it dead on. I know I would be perfect for the job.

Where careers go to die!

Sales Professional (Current Employee) New York, NY

Pros1. The benefits package (health, time off, etc.) is acceptable
    2. Central location is accessible to all in city
    3. Co workers are nice people to work with
    4. Physical location is very modern

Cons1. Management CAN NOT be trusted! Will deceive to protect their you-know-what.
    2. Salaries are way below industry standard and commission compensation is defined in a deceptive and complex manner
    3. Career advancement is almost non-existent!
    4. Company has identity crisis and cannot decide what it wants to be: An international bulk payments provider or an international foreign exchange provider.
    5. New product offerings are poorly marketed to wrong client segment
    6. Feeble and uncoordinated attempt to challenge the big banks in product offering and product sophistication.
    7. With regards to the technological infrastructure, the computer systems crash way too often.

Advice to Senior Management1. Decide on what the company identity is going forward
    2. Take a cue from the industry standard regarding salaries to attract better talent
    3. Create opportunities for advancement within - eg. more defined hierarchies within would help
    4. Create environment of trust by following through on promises.
    5. Provide strong leadership to carry out the preceding suggestions.

Sales Consultant

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsEasier than working at bank. Better Staff.

ConsRetail hours, more press than banks.

Worked for Travelex America? Contribute to the Community!