Travelodge Hotels (UK)

Travelodge Hotels (UK) Reviews

Updated Jun 1, 2014

Travelodge Hotels (UK) CEO Peter Gowers

Peter Gowers

Loved it at the 2 lodges I worked at, I transferred lodges when I moved county, it went downhill and sadly had to leave.

Receptionist (Former Employee)

ProsTalking with nice friendly guests/regulars, can work towards becoming a manager if that's what you want, nice cheap rooms for staff,

ConsDrunk people, pissed off guests who need to be outbooked and lazy staff,

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't make the staff feel that they can't contact their DM without getting in trouble from their HM despite the DM saying they are always at the end of a phone it doesn't feel like it!!

Working Flexibility.

London, England (UK)

ProsFlexible work schedule allows employees to work freely even sticking others activities in the same time.
    It's a good work-life balance.

ConsConstantly need to carry out the necessary changes and every day is a different in terms of tasks performing i.e. complaints dealing, better team work, keeping tidy and ready for next and so on. Yes, there is good personal growth gradually after a while of job we perform. The biggest challenge is individual customer segments where certain customers are not happy at all for no reasonable causes.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease, treat everyone in the team equally, fair and same . Doesn't matter where we are from .

Wonderful

London, England (UK)

ProsGreat staff, its easy to be progressed to a higher level. We all get along even with staff from other travelodges.

ConsBudget does not always support us eg if i need hairdryers and dont have the budget then we get bad trip advisor reviews and then refunds are given etc but how is that staffs fault? Too much pushing on the trip advisor etc.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive the staff necessary resources and you will find that staff are happier and better "customer care".

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I really enjoy working for Travelodge, if you show respect to your manager they will show you respect

Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

ProsI have learned so much at Travelodge, my job has given me many opportunities, I have worked for this company for a couple of years and have no complaints

ConsDon't have any cons as of yet but hopeful this will continue

Advice to Senior ManagementWe have a great manager. Keep it up

Pants

Hotel Manager (Former Employee)
    Derby, England (UK)

ProsYou get paid and a pension.

ConsHotel Managers are expected to do absolutely everything from cleaning to working reception, unrealistic targets are set, and the training does nothing but set you up to fail.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen, do not be so arrogant and think you know it all, you don't.

Bad times in a bad place.

Receptionist (Former Employee)
    Brighton, England (UK)

ProsHonestly, none. As staff, we were offered first pick on discounted rooms. After working in a Travelodge, I would never stay in one. Training was non existent. I had 2 shadow shifts before being placed on reception by myself during a friday evening. As a result the queue was out of the door as I attempted to do what I could. Company values were essentially "pass on your issues to those below you".

ConsThe tight budget that was allocated to the hotel wasn't even enough to cover costs for ample amounts of toilet paper and as a result, the manager was out of pocket due to filling in the gaps with their own money. The place was an embarrassment. I was there for a year and a half and had three different managers during that time. The second one refused to pay for things with his own money (fair enough) which left us without toilet roll for rooms. It's impossible to care for a job when you feel like the meat shield cast in front of the abuse that guest threw. The aggressive tactic of overbooking was cruel both on staff and the guest. Overall, just dire.

Advice to Senior ManagementCheck out at 12. Early check-in at 12. This is just stupid and impossible when a guest as reserved a specific room for a specific reason.
    I was about to go on but writing this has brought back memories of working for you greedy cretins. You don't deserve any more feedback.

Career suicide, unethical employer, worst job ever !!

Oxford, England (UK)

ProsThere really isn't any !

ConsWell , no training, un ethical employer, no HR help, you run hotel alone for min wage, verbal abuse by guests, low wages, long hours, dirty environment, dangerous equipment, bullying !

Advice to Senior ManagementYour not really a manager your a person who was stupid enough to take the position you have no experience , no people training and the power has gone to your head , anyone with anytime with this company knows the truth, and the reason your there is in reality any normal functioning company wouldn't employ you , so your at the Travelodge scrap heap !

Worst company I have ever worked for

ProsNONE - there really are no pros - I am not joking

ConsThe managers does not care about their staff at all.
    They will let you work long hours and every single weekend, so they can have the time off to do their thing. If you do ask for a weekend off, well, good luck.

They don't pay you correctly. Every single month there are hours missing on my payslip.

They don't care about H&S for staff. Not at all. What so ever.

They tell you to let them know if there's something you aren't happy about. But if you do - you will be told off big time for complaining.

Anybody can be a manager at Travelodge, even a pet monkey. Honestly, it's that easy.

You won't get any proper training. I had one day of training, and then I was expected to know everything, and if you do make a mistake, well, may God watch over you, then.

If you call in sick - you're in big trouble!

They break the working hour legislation - make you work with only 8 hours rest in between.

They will change your days and hours without notice - even though your contract states 32 hours, don't expect to get 32 hours.

Head Office and HR are just as stupid as the managers - they just don't care about their staff.

Pet charge as someone else mentioned: trust me, the room WON'T get a deep clean after a pet has been in the room.
    Cups are being "cleaned" with cold water and a dirty towel.
    Hoovering? Well, only if it looks to be necessary.
    If you suspect the sheets hasn't been changed since the last guest? Well,they probably haven't..

Your manager and other managers will gang up on you, if you try and complain about the working environment.

Look at Travelodge facebook page and then Premier Inn's facebook page. Everybody is complaining about Travelodge whilst evertbody is praising Premier Inn.

Best advice I can give you: don't work there. I have had several jobs over the years, and I have never felt the need to ever complain. But Travelodge? It's a flipping joke!
    Thankfully, I have found a new job, with much much better pay, and will be out of there within a month!

Advice to Senior ManagementJust shut all the hotels down.

Leave ANY Thoughts of actually having any rights as an employee at the door

ProsEr, um, well er, yea - NOPE Sorry can't actually think of any

ConsManagement are generally lazy and inept and will lie to cover their own regular mistakes and disregard for safety/operational procedures and blame the people below them to their area manager who will ALWAYS take their side even if you have irrefutable proof/evidence of any management wrongdoings.

Your days and hours will routinely be changed with NO notice whatsoever.

Contracts are changed at a whim with no consultation or prior notice of any changes

Budget constraints are such that cleaners regularly buy their own cleaning materials so that they can actually do their job.

Minimum wage with any overtime paid at yep you guessed it Minimum wage as well.

Any attempt to assert your basic LEGAL rights will be met with bullying and intimidation.

You WILL be expected to routinely LIE to guests about any broken beds, tv's etc, 'We were not aware of that SIr, thank you for bringing it to our attention, I will ensure someone deals with it as a matter of priority' - truth is they have probably been busted for months.

The Infamous 'Last Man Standing' Policy as seen on TVs Watchdog is still very much in force - Just because you have booked and paid for your room in FULL in advance doesn't actually mean you will have a room.

The much vaunted MDP (Manager Development Program) is only offered to the most pliable, easily led and controlled employees - generally New employees, employees with years of knowledge and experience are to be Feared and will not be offered such opportunities.

The £20 Pet charge - Travelodge has a policy to deep-clean rooms after pets stay in them. This is nonsense, each room gets a 'normal' clean after a pet has stayed, cleaners are NOT paid any extra to clean a room after a pet has stayed nor are they allocated any extra time for said rooms.

Advice to Senior ManagementPut 'Mis' in front of your title to be more accurate.

this company give me a chance to explore my self

Hotel Team Member (Current Employee)
    London, England (UK)

Prosfuture oriented,friendly and caring environment

Consi just join this company and didnt find any yet

Advice to Senior Managementi am a new company so cant say any thing

Worked for Travelodge Hotels (UK)? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Travelodge Hotels (UK) reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Travelodge Hotels (UK) CEO Peter Gowers. All 15 reviews posted anonymously by Travelodge Hotels (UK) employees.