Travelodge Hotels (UK)

Updated September 30, 2014
2.3

Travelodge Hotels (UK) CEO Peter Gowers
Peter Gowers

Good Company, getting better.

I have been working at Travelodge Hotels (UK) full-time (less than an year)

Pros

They like to promote and reward within provided you get a line manager on board.

Cons

No line manager support can be the end of someone's career here.

Pay more, start with those at the bottom though.

Good Company

I have been working at Travelodge Hotels (UK)

Pros

Good family to work with

Cons

The benefits that are on offer are not great

Disgusting, Unprofessional, illegal and disrespectful Do not work for this company

Current Employee - Hotel Team Member in Crawley, West Sussex, South East England, England (UK)

I have been working at Travelodge Hotels (UK) full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Free parking
    New build hotel

Cons

Stupid hours - 24 hr shift no break (illegal)
    Management don't have a clue
    No or little training
    Stupid out booking policy
    company cares about profits not employees,guests or anything else
    Polishing a turd

Employ managers who actually are not just turning 18 and its there first job but ones that actually have experience
    Think more about your guests and employees not just how much money is in your back pockets
    Offer better employee benefits on friends and family
    Learn about the UK law and working time directive
    108 breakfasts to cook me being the only chef oh and waiter and cleaner and receptionist ONLY MEMBER OF STAFF IN BUILDING either poor management, tight upper management budgets this affects your employee moral and guest satisfaction

your out booking policy is the definition of the company ethos sell more rooms then available. Guest arrives 3am very angry upset guest unsatisfied (company doesn't care about guest satisfaction) receptionist takes brunt of guests anger sometimes resulting in verbal and physical violence (company doesn't care about staff morale) all in all guest unhappy, staff unhappy COMPANY HAPPY AS MADE £39.00 EXTRA doesn't take a genius to notice this doesn't work

Micro Managed

Current Employee - Hotel Manager in Gloucester, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Hotel Manager in Gloucester, England (UK)

I have been working at Travelodge Hotels (UK) full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The company is always improving, and they are finally listening to what customers actually want

Cons

Expected to work on days off.
    Micro managed to a suffocating amount
    No trust in managers to actually manage
    Poor salary and benefits
    Insufficient funding for day to day running

You've promoted or hired someone for their managerial talent, why not let them manage their own business?

Absolutely Awful Without A Doubt The Worst Company I have Ever Worked For

Current Employee - Room Attendant in Sunbury-on-Thames, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Room Attendant in Sunbury-on-Thames, England (UK)

I have been working at Travelodge Hotels (UK) part-time (less than an year)

Pros

There are no pros, everything about this place is dreadful

Cons

Made to feel totally uncomfortable being English, All of the other housekeepers spoke to each other in a language I didn't understand even thought they could all speak perfect English when it suited them.
    Made to work 5/6 hours a day and get paid for only 4.
    I was given no training at all and was disgusted at some of the things I saw.
    Toilets were cleaned with bath towels, ok they were washed after but seriously that is disgusting, someone is going to be using that again.
    I also witnessed a member of housekeeping staff regularly lick her fingers and run them around the inside of a mug then give it a wipe with a dirty pillowcase and put the mug out for the next person to use

You need to ask yourselves why you get so many bad reviews, seriously one of you should go play undercover housekeeper for a week and see what really goes on

Terrible place to work

Current Employee - Room Attendant in Kingston upon Thames, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Room Attendant in Kingston upon Thames, England (UK)

I have been working at Travelodge Hotels (UK) as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Sorry but there are no pros

Cons

They don't pay the hours you work. They lie about pay on a Sunday and do not pay ssp. The staff there are all polish and if your face don't fit you no it

don,t work here

Former Employee - Room Assistant in Nottingham, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Room Assistant in Nottingham, England (UK)

I worked at Travelodge Hotels (UK) part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There are no best reasons

Cons

I worked at Travelodge for about 3 years and when I refused to cover reception and also clean 15 plus rooms my life was made a misery.I had to leave as things got so bad I ended up on tablets and my confidence took a nosedive.I,ve been left 2 years and I still have nightmares about the place,its an absolute scumbag of a place.

Worst job I've ever had!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ayr, Scotland (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ayr, Scotland (UK)

I worked at Travelodge Hotels (UK) full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Nothing at all. Worst job ever.

Cons

Doing reception and 20 rooms at the same time while answering the phone and acting manager. Loneworking on evening and night shift. Doing 20 jobs at once and only being paid NMW. Hotel was filthy, didn't matter how much you cleaned it. No staff benefits, not even discount on rooms! Not equipped with proper PPE. Endless phonecalls on days off.

Look at your hotels and look to see what needs improving before pocketing the cash.

Worst job in the worst place

Former Employee - Housekeeper
    Former Employee - Housekeeper

I worked at Travelodge Hotels (UK) part-time (less than an year)

Pros

I can not think of a single one about the actual job. The only thing I can say is that most of my co workers were polite and friendly. They had a kind of 'we're all in this together' approach and helped you out when needed.

Cons

- Working unpaid overtime. Paid for four hours work when I was doing between 5-7 hours a day because the amount of rooms given to clean was WAY too much for the time given.
    - Minimum wage for a horrible job that is like a 6 hour work out.
    - Expected to clean rooms in a impossibly short amount of time. On my contract it stated 4 rooms an hour, luckily my boss knew that was too much gave us a little more time.
    - No break- it did say in the contract I was allowed a 30 minute break (4 hours work), but I was never told anything about it and no one else ever took a break.
    - Weekly rota was all over the place and could change at any minute.
    - Some rooms are more disgusting than others but still given the same time to clean. I've had to clean up someone who has peed in a bin, dirty nappies left out, and mysterious brown substances smeared on bathroom walls, but they're treated the same as people who strip their own beds and clean their own mugs.
    - Expected to do things after cleaning the rooms (adding to overtime). Given 4 hours to clean rooms (which would take at least an hour longer anyway), but had to get their early to set up, and spent about half an hour at the end of the shift sorting out dirty laundry, putting rubbish away, sorting out trolleys for next people, hoovering hallway etc. I have no problem with this but it should be paid work.
    - Have to clean late check out rooms which leave at 2pm (when the shift is SUPPOSED to end). You'll be there unpaid at that time anyway, but surely they know that if you're supposed to start cleaning some rooms at 2pm then they should pay you past 2pm.

Accept that you either need to half the work load of pay for extra hours. Plus this shouldn't be a minimum wage job, it's seriously terrible.

DON'T WORK THERE!

Former Employee - Hotel Team Member
    Former Employee - Hotel Team Member

I worked at Travelodge Hotels (UK) part-time (less than an year)

Pros

There Isn't one!! oh wait!.you eventually get to leave and go home

Cons

Long hours, over working, management speak to you in a rude manner and treat you horrendously
    Minimum wage! Management lie about everything,Change your rota without telling you and then expect you to turn up!, You don't get given the full training.

Treat staff better!!

Travelodge Hotels (UK) Photos

Travelodge, City Rd (Photo thanks to Geograph user N Chadwick, Some Rights Reserved)
Travelodge, Inverness (Photo thanks to Geograph user JThomas, Some Rights Reserved)
Travelodge, Mount Ephraim (Photo thanks to Geograph user N Chadwick, Some Rights Reserved)

+ Add Photo