Travelport

Be The First To
Add Photos

Travelport President, CEO, and Director Gordon A. Wilson

Gordon A. Wilson

Pros:
  • "Great work/life balance with option to work from home occasionally"
    in 10 reviews
  • "They allow you to work from home"
    in 8 reviews
Cons:
  • "The lack of communication from the SLT down to mid to lower managment"
    in 4 reviews
  • "Senior management ignores major customers and then wonders why they lose them"
    in 5 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Good team management; lacking senior executive staff

Account Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Travelport full-time for more than 3 years

ProsDecent salary
Flexible work/life
Personal boss is positive

ConsNot challenging work
Few opportunities for advancement
Outmoded corporate culture

Culture and technology need a time machine to get from 1988 to 2012

Product Manager (Current Employee)
Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Travelport full-time for less than a year

ProsExtrememly profitible company and salaries are competitive (and negotiable)!

ConsMy complaints fall in a couple areas:
1. Technology - The databases and lifesource of the whole business is running on old IBM mainframes. Runs good and stable but the knowledge around these machines are in the heads of 30 year employees who refuse to pass it on for their job security.

2. The management is still in the mindset that "You must be at your desk at 8 and don't leave till 5" rather than just get your job done and don't worry about anyone else. And yes, I have a couple people tracking my time now!

3. When you walk in the office (i work in kc, mo), it's dead quiet with a endless view of high-walled cubicles. I'm acutally listening to my keyboard click right now and echo throughout the building.

4. Many people here are old and cranky. Now I don't discriminate but what gets me is when you walk down the hall and try to greet someone, look them in the eye...only to see them stare at the wall that's away from you. I want to say "There's nothing on that wall coward! Look at me". This may just be my hangup

Advice to Senior ManagementBe visible more if possible. MOst of the management works in england and we're sorta isolated in this quiet kc office.

No Growth Opportunities

I have been working at Travelport full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGood work-family balance. No pressure.

ConsStagnant Firm with almost 80% employees in mid-50s or over and doing same work and at same post for last 30+ years.

Just a job

Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Travelport full-time

ProsGreat work-life balance. The company seems to care about its employees.

ConsNo chance for advancement. Senior management doesn't have a strategy for growing the company. Senior management ignores major customers and then wonders why they lose them. Pay is poor. Company is deeply in debt. Senior management does not communicate with employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementFind a strategy to grow the business. Take care of your customers.

Very nice people, horrific code base, no agility, damaging to a motivated individual

Senior Developer (Current Employee)
Denver, CO

I have been working at Travelport

ProsNice people, flexible work life balance, B level salary. Perhaps someone with the correct soft skills and patience could redirect the mindset to a more agile less monolithic design. This task would center on the transfer of the knowledgebase from the offshore team, the elimination of proprietary solutions, for standard practices. Reasonably this person should expect at least a two for year effort. I just do not have that kind of patience, but a better man may. I would still recommend Travelport to the correct person.

ConsCode base 100% offshore ownership and knowledge guarded. Extremely high barrier of entry to productivity for new developers. Very poor system documentation, and fragmented knowledge based. Suspect business model in contracting market. Antiquated design patterns and ideologies, linear and monolithic design, little to brighten up your resume. A limited capacity to contribute other then at the assembly line level. Very poor place for a can do type.

Advice to Senior ManagementTask the knowledge owners to create a system design document; both high and low level; to enable ownership to transfer from the offshore team to the onshore team. A white board is not enough when culture and conflicting interests are center points. Embrace a can do attitude over the fear based attitude. Get 'outside' help on a SOA perspective. Empower onshore senior developers.

Ok

ProsThe pay is not bad.

ConsLeadership is not accountable for strategy and communication

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide clearer direction

Ups and Downs

I have been working at Travelport

ProsThe people are friendly. This is an organization whereby people have a lot of seniority. This reflects a high degree of loyalty to the organization,

ConsIt is an organization that lacks structure and open communication. Often deadlines are established before the project plan and data is established.

Advice to Senior ManagementClear strategic vision is needed with realistic plans for implementing vision. Leadership should evaluate ways to incent employees. Too few key employees to implement project plans.

It is a wonderful place to work at. There's is outcome oriented culture where you have the ability to use your creative.

Architecture Researcher Intern (Current Employee)

I have been working at Travelport

Pros1. Best work culture in terms of providing flexibility and room for creativity.
2. Talented co-workers and knowledgeable people.
3. Technology intensive firm so a good place for techies.
4. Management shows good leadership and initiatives to make the work place more productive.
5. Professional growth is given attention and HR is very supportive.

Cons1. May not be the best in terms of compensation.
2. It is a unique firm in terms of the industry, some skills learnt here might not be transferable
3. Not a mature process oriented organization which can be a good thing if you strive in a dynamic environment.

Stagnancy

I have been working at Travelport

ProsAt Ease, less work load, timeoff, work from home

ConsNo growth, managers not capable

Advice to Senior ManagementMotivate Emp, give new training, give value to exceptional performers, Motivate Emp, give new training, give value to exceptional performers, help

Used to be a good company to work for but not anymore.

IT Project Lead (Current Employee)

I have been working at Travelport

ProsNew hires get to work on important projects. Benefits are comparable or better.

ConsLot of outsourcing.
Prefers inexpensive work force over quality workers.
Management lacks transparency.
Management lacks vision. They fail to understand the challenges and react appropriately.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt is a technology company, invest in qualified people who understand the market and technology.

Worked for Travelport? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Travelport reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Travelport CEO Gordon A. Wilson. All 85 reviews posted anonymously by Travelport employees.