Travelport

Be The First To
Add Photos

Travelport President, CEO, and Director Gordon A. Wilson

Gordon A. Wilson

Pros:
  • "Great work/life balance with option to work from home occasionally"
    in 10 reviews
  • "They allow you to work from home"
    in 8 reviews
Cons:
  • "The lack of communication from the SLT down to mid to lower managment"
    in 4 reviews
  • "Senior management ignores major customers and then wonders why they lose them"
    in 5 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Review

IT Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Travelport

ProsGreat people to work with.

ConsNo pay raises for the last few years.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

Travelport

Denver, CO

I have been working at Travelport

ProsVery dynamic industry. Company is taking the correct steps to remain competitive and postion itself for the future. Extremely complex technical environment coupled with complex business environment makes working at Travelport a challenging an rewarding experience.

ConsTravel industry is currrenly in a economic slump which is impacting salary and bonuses in the near term. Industry is currently trending up though.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement needs to stay the course with it's curernt strategy. Some aspects of company processes can slow things down a bit.

Long term growth may be challenged by short term decision making.

Sales Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Travelport

ProsGlobal company, one of three dominant players in the industry. Positioned for growth as long as the company looks long term.

ConsThere seems to be a growing disconnect between the largest region (the United States/Americas) and the global headquarters in the United Kingdom. Upper management seems to be more concerned about maneuvering for possible personal advancement rather than what is beneficial to the long term health of the company. This causes some questionable short term decisions that may affect long term strategy.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf expectations are to grow and re-gain market share, strategic decision making needs to support long term growth instead of short term gains.

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Can Travelport Survive?

Product Strategist (Current Employee)

ProsTravelport has:
- a very skilled and experienced, though aging, employee base, especially in the Technology, Support and Product areas.
- a team of employees who sincerely want their company to succeed and are willing to do whatever is necessary to make that happen.
- a Senior Leadership Team with a realistic vision of where to take the company.
- an incredible opportunity to capitalize on the regional and product strengths of its three GDS cores, brought together by the acquisition of Worldspan in 2007.
- an industry reputation, at least for the Worldspan brand, of providing quality product solutions to its customers, especially in the online travel market, where at one time, Worldspan processed over 70% of online travel bookings.

Cons- Management at VP and Director level seem unwilling or unable to provide clear direction on how to implement SLT's vision.
- Self-promotion, politics and CYA take the place of getting and keeping the right people in the right jobs.
- Product lines are fractured and regional.
- Instead of focusing on core strengths and specific, profitable, market opportunities, Travelport tries to be "all things to all people", but doesn't provide the resources or funding to succeed at this ambitious an undertaking.
- 18 months after the Worldspan acquisition, products and processes are still separate in most areas, causing confusion in the marketplace and among employees, and costing the company more to operate.
- Employees and their contributions are not valued. There is an extreme lack of communication downward and no recognition for jobs well done.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease turn this ship around before it sinks. Go back and listen to what you said in the Town Hall meetings in August 2007 about the strengths, direction and corporate culture of the new company. Hold middle management accountable for puttng your vision in place. Realize that when you lose your employees' loyalty and commitment, we are headed toward failure.

Decent workplace, but uncertain job security.

Manager (Former Employee)
Parsippany, NJ

I worked at Travelport

ProsA decent working environment with overall good people and benefits. Working in Atlanta was good.

ConsThe constant restructuring, mergers, closing and moving of offices has taken its toll on morale. The underperformance of Orbitz is a big concern.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore open communication on the future, which is still unclear.

Only work here for the Benny's

Senior Product Analyst (Former Employee)
Kansas City, MO

I worked at Travelport

ProsThe benefits are good. The chance to travel and see places that you normally wouldn't see is now affordable with the discounts that you get for working here.

ConsDisappointed that they are outsourcing so many jobs to India. Why are so many company's exchanging knowledge for cheap labor? How can a technology based company excel when they have to deal with a person that can't take care of a problem if its not a set list of given problems. They aren't able to think outside the box!

Advice to Senior ManagementLet's not take all the work off shore.

Good work environment, friendly colleagues, lots to learn!

Commercial Department (Former Employee)
Dubai (United Arab Emirates)

I worked at Travelport full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThere's good work-life balance, especially in my role. Competitors don't come close to the work distribution, flexible work hours, flexible work from home and salary benefits. Strong work ethics and code of conduct.

ConsSeem to get stuck in a rut for too long. Little growth internally. Lack of direction from management, everyone seems to do their own thing, which quickly turns into uninterested co-workers.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to incorporate more to keep up with other businesses if you want to retain employees. eg. Fitness regimes, healthy days, free lunches, need more outings (picnics, movies, etc.) Everyone seems to come to work, does their bit and leaves, there isn't much fun interaction. Initially it'll be a forced habit, then it just becomes behavior!

The place where you can earn a very strong experience in a corporate organization

Country Sales Manager (Former Employee)
Mecca (Saudi Arabia)

I worked at Travelport full-time for more than 3 years

ProsAbility to improve your industry knowledge
Ability to improve your education where you will always have an chance to be enrolled for a higher position

ConsSeniors fears to say NO to their superior even if affect the company's targets
They do not investigate internal complaints and if they do they do it because they have to but they already made up their minds

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to people in the ground.
Seniors are not selected because they speak good business english language or because they look handsome. This type of seniors would always prefer to cover up a problem where they should of solve it and seek an opportunity out of it.

Pays well, needs to take more risks

Pricing Manager (Current Employee)
London, England (UK)

I have been working at Travelport full-time for more than 3 years

ProsWell paid compared to the travel industry and offers many opportunities for development

ConsToo slow at making decisions. Lacks the killer instinct to make bold decisions.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake some risks. Get more travel people and less consultants.

Loaded with debt

Manager (Former Employee)
Langley, Hampshire, South East England, England (UK)

I worked at Travelport full-time for more than 5 years

ProsPromotion opportunities are there for those who want them

ConsThe business has not invested in the product

Worked for Travelport? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Travelport reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Travelport CEO Gordon A. Wilson. All 85 reviews posted anonymously by Travelport employees.