Travelport

Be The First To
Add Photos

Travelport President, CEO, and Director Gordon A. Wilson

Gordon A. Wilson

Pros
  • Good work-life balance with flexible working hours(in 11 reviews)

• Great work/life balance with option to work from home occasionally(in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • The lack of communication from the SLT down to mid to lower managment(in 4 reviews)

• Senior management ignores major customers and then wonders why they lose them(in 6 reviews)

Chaotic

Director Finance (Current Employee)

ProsThere are some good people in the organisation that are really trying to make a difference. There are opportunities to get involved in things outside your job description that improves your skills and keeps you interested.

ConsSome teams have really good work/life balance while others seem to be swamped with more and more work. There isn't always clear direction which leads to changes after you have already started down one path. There are limited opportunities to progress and a lack of consistency of salary in the same job band.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook at salaries across the company and what other benefits can be offered as well as dealing with work/life balance so it's implemented as well as discussed

Full of bureaucracy with SLT chanting empty strategy

Pros+ Good pay
    + Good work-life balance with flexible working hours
    + Some nice people if you fall into the right team
    + Good exposure in the combination of Technology and Travel

Cons- They try to "communicate" (i mean, email) those corporate values, visions etc, but it's just full of empty words most of times. They say they want to revolutionize, but hey what's been done to revolutionize other than buying some other companies and doing nothing with it??
    - Too many people enjoying too much of flexible hour working, causing too many emails for a very simple thing
    - Heavily relying on GDS revenue. It's not that they don't do other things, but I think senior management still lacks of that "urgency" in brand whenever discussing non-GDS, non-flight subjects. No clear vision / substantial plan ready for further expansion or growth
    - One other thing that really hit me in the head was they celebrate so HARD when the revenue goes up thanks to economy recovery (it's just because people do more travel with more money!), and then don't really take actions when revenue goes down due to economy downturn.

Overall... too much bureaucracy blocking company's success, as I think the technology & position it has is great compared to competitors.

Advice to Senior ManagementJust give way to young, from-the-front-line ones. You guys can now make very good politicians instead.

Time to move on

Project Manager (Current Employee)

ProsThe people for the most part.

ConsToo many to list but a few are: life balance is terrible; you're expected to work all the time. Salary is sad; haven't had a decent raise in years. Their salary levels are horrible. The morale is terrible. Because people are overworked, underpaid and ignored when asked for opinions it makes for a bad atmosphere. There are departments that are completely ignored by the SLT. Sales is the golden darling. No acknowledgment of the great work other departments do. Not enough people to do the work. The testing systems are archaic. A very myopic company to work for.

Advice to Senior ManagementSee above.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Toooooo much Bureaucracy

Recruiter (Former Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsAttempting to become a collaborative environment

ConsToo much bureaucracy; no one within HR have true strategic vision; the company led efforts from UK do not transfer to the US; Leaders are not real leaders; very gossipy environment; no real HR value; structure is not conducive to true Talent Management and Development; HR leaders are very junior to true strategic leadership efforts; HR Business Partners are not partners...they are generalists at MOST!

Advice to Senior ManagementToo top heavy, lessen the bureaucracy, put in place stronger leaders

Resilient company through turbulent years in Travel. Sr. staff have a forward looking vision.

Director (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsBuilding on company strengths and looking beyond the status quo.

ConsGlobal communication and cooperation can improve

Good technology, but held back by staff too comfortable in roles

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsPeople are friendly, no expectation of having to work exceptionally hard to succed. Good technology in offices.

ConsThis is a technology firm but the staff are mostly 'lifers' who came from the airlines and are very reluctant to change. Culture is just about driving cost out of the business because the product is basically a commodity.

Advice to Senior ManagementAct more like a tech start up, and be prepared to ditch staff who see knowledge as power, rather than sharing as power. Breakdown the fiefdoms by focussing on customer.

Great Internship, learned a lot and had a lot of fun at the same time. $19 and hour helps too

Business Analyst (Former Employee) Centennial, CO

ProsGreat people
    Location
    Good colleagues
    Fun to work with my team
    Able to set own hours
    Can leaver early during summertime

ConsOlder crowd but younger people are being hired more.
    Bad facilities, very old.
    Dilapidated cubes
    College Students have never heard of them

Advice to Senior ManagementSend interns to a central location to meet other interns and Executives.

Very good Internship program

Intern (Former Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsVery structured working environment. Great mentors, employees, ect...

ConsVery slow to do anything or make necessary changes.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe company is undergoing some change to hire younger folks directly out of their internship programs. It's unfortunate that management is falling victims of hiring the more extroverted individuals who have significantly lower morals and values than those who are more reserved with higher values and morals.

A good place to work to cut your teeth in the industry

ProsThey allow you to easily balance your work and life, Very friendly caring management, there nice helpful inner office community. They allow you to work from home.

ConsThe cons are low entry level pay, redundant tasks, many of the systems and languages you will work with are proprietary so they do not transition to jobs at other companies well.

It was a great company to work for, went through some rough times but I hear its better now.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsWork life balance, vacation, fun people to work with.

ConsGlobal HQ in UK sometimes seems like they don't care about US employees

Worked for Travelport? Contribute to the Community!