Travelzoo Reviews

Updated October 1, 2014
3.8

Travelzoo CEO Christopher (Chris) Loughlin
Christopher (Chris) Loughlin

Pros
  • Since most BDM's are remote, there is a lot of flexibility so there is a great work/life balance (in 4 reviews)

• Travelzoo Experience (extra vacation days (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Monumental amounts of multi-tasking and long hours (in 3 reviews)

• Fear of upper management - people afraid to speak up (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Respectable Sales Position

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Travelzoo full-time (less than an year)

Pros

You feel like a contributor, goals are quarterly, offices are nice, and benefits are solid. Employees are encouraged to travel, and management treats sales team with respect. Micromanagement is relatively low when compared to other sales positions.

Cons

Typical cons that come with any sales job.

Don't go the way of competitors by mass hiring of entry level sales people. Stick to the quality over quantity approach.

Good company but could be better

Current Employee - Business Development Manager
    Current Employee - Business Development Manager

I have been working at Travelzoo full-time (more than an year)

Pros

What really makes Travelzoo stand out in this space is the reputation that they have in the travel industry. Most of the top tier resorts not only heard of Travelzoo but they use them to fill their hotel rooms, as well as understand the value of what what we bring to the table. Since most BDM's are remote, there is a lot of flexibility so there is a great work/life balance.

Cons

Let me start of by commenting on the production team, it is a mess. They are in complete charge of what we publish as well as email to our subscribers. Not sure how a 20 year old in Chicago knows what is best for our markets? Most of them have never even been to our market so how can we leave that in their hands? This is something that all BDM's struggle with. They have "pitch meetings" twice a week with their team and the sales team is not included so we have no idea what is "pitched". Most markets have local offices so why don't we have a local team, a team that understands our market and the merchants? This company tiptoes around the production team where you would think that they it would be flipped the other way to the sales team.
    What is hard to believe is the lack of technology? This company is over 15 years old yet they have a stripped down version of Salesforce, the CRM doesn't communicate with our backend system not to mention we are light years behind Groupon and Livingsocial on the tools that is offered to the sales team. We currently have one (incompetent) Operations Manager. Not only does he add zero value to the company, they have one person on the team.
    As I mentioned, the due to the lack of technology, our travel, entertainment and local do not use the same CRM. Everyone wants to understand why entertainment is different from the local side of the business. Let the local bdm's work those, they know the market! The travel team has no desire to work with the local bdm's, why not? Shouldn't this be mandatory? Why do the BDM's not have a partner to close more deals? I am left scratching my head each time I ask myself this question.
    The Executive team is a tad clueless as to what is going on. They spend more time scheduling conferences calls, which at this time we have 4 a week. We all think that is overkill but that's what they want.

Spend some money on advertising.
    Hire a strategic executive team that can take this company to the next level by bringing innovative ideas that the competition is NOT doing! It is challenging working for company that is always trailing Groupon and Livingsocial. Time to offer something new, exciting, let's find a game changer.
    How about having annual sales conferences? Let's hear from the top producers, our marketing department (do we have one?) and upper management on the future of Travelzoo. Have brainstorming sessions. Trust me, your sales team knows and understands what is going on in the market not to mention they have ideas on how to make more money.
    Creative a better environment so that all teams have open communication.
    Consider having local teams so that the production team is working closely with the sales team.
    Travelzoo has a great sales team, now get us the support.

Love-Hate Relationship

I have been working at Travelzoo full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Beautiful offices, free coffee, autonomy for the most part (if you're in sales.)
    Great people - mostly a young crowd
    Fantastic Health Benefits

Cons

Lack of innovation - always seems to be copying the competitor and stuck in their ways
    Fear of upper management - people afraid to speak up
    Disconnect between departments - in constant competition rather than working together
    Lack of upward mobility and career growth (unless you can find a way to create a brand new position for yourself)

Can be great for Work/Life Balance, trading off for compensation / advancement.

I have been working at Travelzoo full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Travelzoo's revenues are earned through inspiring people to do more things, see the world, catch a show, or try a new restaurant. Travelzoo hires well, almost every single employee is competent and friendly. Employees can create a nice work/life balance here.

Cons

Limited growth opportunities except for a very select few. Excellent company for 20-somethings, but careers can become stagnant beyond that. Caught between grand ambitions and a low risk tolerance. Compensation is good for some markets, but low for NYC / San Francisco.

Looks good on paper; wants to be progressive -- but still stifled by corporate mentality

I have been working at Travelzoo full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

All the pros are crystal clear: travel stipend, monthly lunches and stocked kitchen, happy hours and fun events. A fabulous holiday party to celebrate the years' successes. None of it stacks up to the truly amazing staff that makes the magic happen day in and day out. The people are incredible and I'm inspired on a daily basis. I'd consider these employees to be friends, mentors, leaders and generally rock star human beings.

Cons

Travelzoo is very much at war with itself from a corporate vs. tech/start up culture. It skews much farther corporate than the latter, even though outward appearances might have you think otherwise. Different offices and divisions operate on dissimilar wavelengths. It's corporate America with a few borrowed Silicon Valley perks.

Leadership in some divisions is very much top-down -- good at pivoting and setting new strategies, but employees crumble under unreasonable demands, unrealistic deadlines, changing priorities and undefined work processes. There is no such thing as a healthy debate- most of the time you're just wrong. End of story. And forget about the 99 great things you've accomplished, we're only going to focus on the 1 that was "wrong," and then hammer, hammer, hammer it home. Always a day late, always a buck short, never enough.

Employees want to feel valued and this is not the case when you're constantly defending your own position to the top of the ladder (and generally afraid of your job security at any point when you see those around you being "laid off" every 3-4 quarters... all to reduce headcount for the stock price.)

Find better ways to lead through productive honesty (but not harsh beat downs), clear communication and authentic positivity (not fake, manufactured, over-the-top antics) .

Amazing company with excellent benefits and opportunities

I have been working at Travelzoo full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Excellent benefits incl. Travelzoo Experience (extra vacation days + stipend to experience a vacation), great health benefits. Fun work environment including yoga rooms, time to exercise, showers & lockers, Bagel Fridays, office snacks, monthly social events (last month we had an employee cocktail party with great food and wine. Next month we are hosting a painting class to promote team building). Monthly lunches and birthday celebrations, competitive compensation, Moms group, great office locations and the ability to work at all office locations

Cons

Lengthy approval process for projects

Travelzoo is a great company with a bright future. I'm proud to be a part of it.

Top-down micromanagement impedes growth

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Travelzoo full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Fun work in the travel industry. Great offices. $1500 annual travel stipend. Good brand with loyal customers.

Cons

Micromanagement. Executives can't stick to a strategy. Chasing quarterly goals at the expense of long-term planning is starting to catch up to the company, which is generally 2-3 years behind the technical times. A bit too much of a "rule by intimidation" attitude at the C-level.

Trust your employees. Be decisive. Warm up a little bit - the corporate culture at Travelzoo is too cold. Happy employees produce more.

Love the job

I have been working at Travelzoo full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good salary and benefits, young workforce, great travel benefits and generous vacation time.

Cons

Favoritism, lack of communication, inability to make decisions and stick to them. Constant change makes it difficult to do your job.

Be more strategic, spend less money on unimportant things and more on improved technology. You need a better matching 401K to be competitive. $1500 a year is not very good. Offer stock options.

Great company, vibrant culture!

I worked at Travelzoo

Pros

The audience is listening! Travelzoo has developed a special bond with its subscribers. It is by far one of the most loyal audiences you'll encounter.

Cons

A little insular. The same roots that make it great also make it a little inward focused.

Go big. Travelzoo is a far more important part of travel distribution than it is recognized for, and needs to be a little bolder to get the attention it deserves.

Best place I've worked

Former Employee - Sales Manager
    Former Employee - Sales Manager

I worked at Travelzoo full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great team who is your family
    Great benefits and perks
    Exciting business
    Steady growth and outlook
    Role model female as President
    Amazing HR team

Cons

Made mistake with all the local deal hirings and lost focus briefly
    Production choosing what runs can get hard on sales because they can give you a hard time if they don't like you and they don't like a LOT of sales people
    Jealousy among depts

Treat productions complaints about sales with a grain of salt as there is jealousy there