Travelzoo

Travelzoo Reviews

Updated May 30, 2014

Travelzoo CEO Christopher (Chris) Loughlin

Christopher (Chris) Loughlin

Pros
  • Travelzoo Experience (extra vacation days(in 5 reviews)

• There are some great benefits and compensation is fair(in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Monumental amounts of multi-tasking and long hours(in 3 reviews)

• The company is still young and doesn't fully have its act together in terms of upper management(in 2 reviews)

Top-down micromanagement impedes growth

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsFun work in the travel industry. Great offices. $1500 annual travel stipend. Good brand with loyal customers.

ConsMicromanagement. Executives can't stick to a strategy. Chasing quarterly goals at the expense of long-term planning is starting to catch up to the company, which is generally 2-3 years behind the technical times. A bit too much of a "rule by intimidation" attitude at the C-level.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrust your employees. Be decisive. Warm up a little bit - the corporate culture at Travelzoo is too cold. Happy employees produce more.

Amazing company with excellent benefits and opportunities

ProsExcellent benefits incl. Travelzoo Experience (extra vacation days + stipend to experience a vacation), great health benefits. Fun work environment including yoga rooms, time to exercise, showers & lockers, Bagel Fridays, office snacks, monthly social events (last month we had an employee cocktail party with great food and wine. Next month we are hosting a painting class to promote team building). Monthly lunches and birthday celebrations, competitive compensation, Moms group, great office locations and the ability to work at all office locations

ConsLengthy approval process for projects

Advice to Senior ManagementTravelzoo is a great company with a bright future. I'm proud to be a part of it.

Love the job

ProsGood salary and benefits, young workforce, great travel benefits and generous vacation time.

ConsFavoritism, lack of communication, inability to make decisions and stick to them. Constant change makes it difficult to do your job.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more strategic, spend less money on unimportant things and more on improved technology. You need a better matching 401K to be competitive. $1500 a year is not very good. Offer stock options.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great company, vibrant culture!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe audience is listening! Travelzoo has developed a special bond with its subscribers. It is by far one of the most loyal audiences you'll encounter.

ConsA little insular. The same roots that make it great also make it a little inward focused.

Advice to Senior ManagementGo big. Travelzoo is a far more important part of travel distribution than it is recognized for, and needs to be a little bolder to get the attention it deserves.

Best place I've worked

Sales Manager (Former Employee)

ProsGreat team who is your family
    Great benefits and perks
    Exciting business
    Steady growth and outlook
    Role model female as President
    Amazing HR team

ConsMade mistake with all the local deal hirings and lost focus briefly
    Production choosing what runs can get hard on sales because they can give you a hard time if they don't like you and they don't like a LOT of sales people
    Jealousy among depts

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat productions complaints about sales with a grain of salt as there is jealousy there

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Client Content Producer

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat people. Fun environment and seem to interview people for the culture as much as their value add. Compensation is OK although the structure has changed since the beginning of time.

ConsNo upward movement, very little career advancement. Manager not management quality-not everyone should become a manager because of tenure.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees and what they are going through with clients. Manage through the process instead of being the "no" people.

Online Travel Deals Experts

Sales Manager (Current Employee)

ProsConstantly changing, great pay, happy customers, good management, strong leadership, bright future, biggest and best deals website, Good technology, nice offices, younger average employee ages, ability to work across multiple verticals like hotels, restaurants and air.

Consupper management is not always accessible, direction constantly shifting, some employees can be very negative, sales plan changes frequently, aggressive goals

Advice to Senior Managementbe clear with direction to current employees, get ahead of competition, evole as a website instead of maintaining the same old look and feel, advertise, help new subscribers find out about Travelzoo, create better incentives and help employees grow.

Local Deals = Slowly Sinking Ship

Business Development Manager (Former Employee)

Pros20% discount off of deals on the site and the Travelzoo experience. One of the higher quality products out of the current daily deal companies.

ConsFirst of all, be aware that your pay check will be in the hands of a subjectively run production team. Meaning, if they like you or if they wake up on the right side of the bed, then your deal that you worked tirelessly to close might get decent exposure. Direction changes constantly, and the founders are very reactionary. When they see something they don't like, one word will turn the whole division upside down. There is a lot of inconsistency on what the team will or won't publish and final say lies in the hands of the few. The decisions to run or not run (expand or not expand) deals are often made very subjectively, which not only costs the company revenue, but will affect your paycheck as well. We've all seen deals that are on a upward trend not get any additional exposure because a publishing head wasn't fond of it. There is very little room for growth in the local division, and movement between divisions just doesn't happen. There is also no comradery between divisions and it's pretty apparent that Travel and Entertainment are the shining stars. BDM turnover was very high while I was there.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe consistent. You have parameters for publishing and when you deviate from those for some BDM's and not others, that creates frustration and poor morale amongst the team. The founders and CEO need to stop micromanaging and trust the people they put in place to run the local deal division properly. Lack of product innovation and making subjective decisions are not garnering excitement for our product, or respect from your teams. Analytical and data driven decision making would help the business and prevent the ship from sinking.

Mixed feelings

ProsThe people by far are the best asset of the company. There are some great benefits and compensation is fair.

ConsIt seems most employees are held to a standard of perfection, meaning nothing is ever good enough. There is no room for making mistakes. They don't provide a career path for people.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider listening to those in the field who are hearing directly from clients and industry experts. We have valuable information that you are missing.

Love the entrepreneurial feeling this company has and how successful it continues to be with innovation.

Senior Sales Manager (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsThe ppl are great! Great benefits! Ability to move around in the company, work life balance, start up style.

ConsAs directions change so quickly, communication to teams is done, but not always with a thought out plan/roadmap. Gives an uncertain feeling at times, but everything tends to work itself out

Advice to Senior ManagementFind ways to make the roadmaps clearer

Worked for Travelzoo? Contribute to the Community!