Travis County, Texas

Samuel T. Biscoe

12 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Working for the Man

Manager (Former Employee) Austin, TX

ProsDepending on which agency you work for, the work can be quite meaningful and the ability to help the community is real. Many staff are committed to the work that they do, and the benefits structure is excellent.

ConsWorking downtown (as most county employees do) can be a hassle with traffic and whatnot. The compensation is generous, but hasn't quite kept up with the cost of living in Austin.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt would be profoundly helpful if management did a review of the work environment in all workplaces so as to stay on top of issues before they explode.

Pleasant and great mangement

Accountant (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsWork-life balance
    Company that value it's employees
    Able to express concerns to management very easily

ConsNot able to move easily unless management retires

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep being nice as you were. Ask the commissioner's court for higher salaries.

okay at times

JDO III (Former Employee) Austin, TX

ProsThere is some good people that work and that really care for their fellow employees. That will treat you as part of a family.

Consnever consistent with they way they want to handle things. Thing changes every 2 to 3 months to management benefit but, not to the employees. With the COL rising the pay is not having a major increase. Employees are forced to work overtime and second jobs in order to make it. The employees that's not in upper management continue to struggle paycheck to paycheck.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to the workers and stop just saying "We know how you feel". Stop asking the employees, "What can we do to make things better". When in fact you do nothing but at the same time doing things unsafe, and putting you employees health and careers to an end.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Working for Travis County has always been a great experience

Technical Support Troubleshooter (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsGreat relationship with employess and good communication

ConsOne particular assignment was not organize

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue the great training and interacting with employees

Its great !!

Systems Engineer (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsGreat work life Balance and Less Pressure.

ConsNo Career Ladder and no bonuses or good performance bnefits.

Advice to Senior Managementn/a

Government Job

Purchasing Assistant (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsGreat benefits. Working with the Governemnt you help others in your community and provide a public service.

ConsThe career development is slow and not much room for promotions.

Stable employment, but not for the upwardly mobile...

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Austin, TX

ProsStability, benefits, ample leave and holidays.

ConsLack of opportunity for training and advancement.

Laid-back

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Austin, TX

ProsI love the laid-back feel. Of course, different areas offer different working environments, but I was satisfied.

ConsNo one leaves so it's hard to get a permanent position.

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow a fair hire; don't only grant jobs on the "hook up".

True public servant

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsGood retirement plan, a wellness center to help save co-pays with insurance, mostly pleasant co-workers, longvity pay after 4 years, fair accumlation of vacation and sick time, reasonable number of holidays.

Conscommuting to downtown or Airport site, parking can be a problem as it takes 7+ years to get a parking space, pay is better outside of the county, some employees don't pull their fair share of the work load,

Advice to Senior ManagementYearly performance evaluations should be done with the employees, and employees should have an opportunity to evaluate management. Try to be more open to suggestions by employees. Stand behind the people that work for you.

Travis County

Business Consultant (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsOutstanding benefits, structure, location, office, kind staff, helpful departments; customer service attitude; attention to detail; growth potential; slower pace; relaxed

Consadverse to change; lacking diverse skill sets; slow to advance ment; out dated business operations; not on the cutting edge

Advice to Senior ManagementGroom through mentoring, education and management leadership staff internally to assume key positions within the County. Build leaders of tomorrow out of the people you have today.

Worked for Travis County, Texas? Contribute to the Community!