Travis County, Texas

Updated July 15, 2014
Updated July 15, 2014
4.0

Samuel T. Biscoe

Stable employment, but not for the upwardly mobile...

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at Travis County, Texas

Pros

Stability, benefits, ample leave and holidays.

Cons

Lack of opportunity for training and advancement.

okay at times

Former Employee - JDO III in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - JDO III in Austin, TX

I worked at Travis County, Texas full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

There is some good people that work and that really care for their fellow employees. That will treat you as part of a family.

Cons

never consistent with they way they want to handle things. Thing changes every 2 to 3 months to management benefit but, not to the employees. With the COL rising the pay is not having a major increase. Employees are forced to work overtime and second jobs in order to make it. The employees that's not in upper management continue to struggle paycheck to paycheck.

Listen to the workers and stop just saying "We know how you feel". Stop asking the employees, "What can we do to make things better". When in fact you do nothing but at the same time doing things unsafe, and putting you employees health and careers to an end.

Travis County

Current Employee - Business Consultant in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Business Consultant in Austin, TX

I have been working at Travis County, Texas

Pros

Outstanding benefits, structure, location, office, kind staff, helpful departments; customer service attitude; attention to detail; growth potential; slower pace; relaxed

Cons

adverse to change; lacking diverse skill sets; slow to advance ment; out dated business operations; not on the cutting edge

Groom through mentoring, education and management leadership staff internally to assume key positions within the County. Build leaders of tomorrow out of the people you have today.

Working for the Man

Former Employee - Manager in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Manager in Austin, TX

I worked at Travis County, Texas full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Depending on which agency you work for, the work can be quite meaningful and the ability to help the community is real. Many staff are committed to the work that they do, and the benefits structure is excellent.

Cons

Working downtown (as most county employees do) can be a hassle with traffic and whatnot. The compensation is generous, but hasn't quite kept up with the cost of living in Austin.

It would be profoundly helpful if management did a review of the work environment in all workplaces so as to stay on top of issues before they explode.

DA's office

I worked at Travis County, Texas (more than 3 years)

Pros

I had a flexible schedule that allowed me to go to college full-time. Friendly co-workers, close-knit team environment among staff. Decent benefits, including healthcare.

Cons

My department had a very demanding, difficult supervisor. Not all departments were like this however. Rigid and lots of rules to follow.

Its great !!

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Austin, TX

I have been working at Travis County, Texas full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great work life Balance and Less Pressure.

Cons

No Career Ladder and no bonuses or good performance bnefits.

n/a

Government Job

Current Employee - Purchasing Assistant in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Purchasing Assistant in Austin, TX

I have been working at Travis County, Texas full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits. Working with the Governemnt you help others in your community and provide a public service.

Cons

The career development is slow and not much room for promotions.

True public servant

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Travis County, Texas

Pros

Good retirement plan, a wellness center to help save co-pays with insurance, mostly pleasant co-workers, longvity pay after 4 years, fair accumlation of vacation and sick time, reasonable number of holidays.

Cons

commuting to downtown or Airport site, parking can be a problem as it takes 7+ years to get a parking space, pay is better outside of the county, some employees don't pull their fair share of the work load,

Yearly performance evaluations should be done with the employees, and employees should have an opportunity to evaluate management. Try to be more open to suggestions by employees. Stand behind the people that work for you.

Travis County

Current Employee - Legal Secretary
    Current Employee - Legal Secretary

I have been working at Travis County, Texas

Pros

Benefits are great and the paid time off is unbelievable. You get almost 30 days sick/paid time off and you can take off when you need to.

Cons

however it is not very stimulating. It takes years to move up even and education doesn't matter much.

I would advice them to communicate more to their employees about big changes rather than the day of. Also, some of your employees are more educated than those around them. Advancement should be given to more knowledgeable people instead of people who have been there longer.

You could do a lot worse.

Current Employee - Assistant County Attorney in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Assistant County Attorney in Austin, TX

I have been working at Travis County, Texas

Pros

The work-life balance is about as good as you get in the American working world. You get a shiny badge because you're a prosecutor. If you like local politics, as I do, then you couldn't be more in the middle of it working anywhere else. And you get to work for the public good, which should make your mama proud.

Cons

The building in which the County Attorney is forced to have his offices is a piece of crap. You won't have a window in your office anytime soon. Some elected officials (not my boss, of course) have a job only because they managed to get elected---you will be working among them.

Remember the passion you felt tin wanting to have a positive impact on the world and to leave a mark on it, too, when you were younger.