Travis Perkins

www.travisperkinsplc.com

Travis Perkins Reviews

Updated Jun 9, 2014
Travis Perkins – Northampton – “work”

Not yet rated.

John Carter

Good, needs to be Great

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Northampton, England (UK)

ProsAccessible senior management, very strong ethics and brand values, some great teams and brands, paternalistic culture. A proudly British company.

PS Glassdoor - John Carter is the CEO; Geoff Cooper retired at the end of 2013.

ConsCompany needs to grow into what it has become (a £5bn+ member of the UK FTSE 100). Systems and processes not yet up to the consistent standard needed to increase turnover and profitability in the next few years. Some unwillingness to listen to and trust your team members.

Advice to Senior ManagementDitch the high paid management consultants, fad-based initiatives (e.g. in the IT Department) and short term decision making. Make sure the skills, behaviours and processes in the excellent brands and teams are replicated into the stragglers.

Every morning i am waking up and I am happy that I need to go to work .

Packer (Current Employee) Northampton, England (UK)

ProsI love to work there because of people in there :) They all are nice and always happy to help me. Even when i am being ill at home whit flue they let me know that they miss me and care about me. It is like my work place is my happy place!

ConsLearning lots of new things.

Advice to Senior ManagementEvery manager supervisor and team leader should be like in my working place. Always there for compani people who they are working for and people who they are working whit.

Safe and solid company that values its employees, but struggling to advance its technology base into the 21st century

IT (Former Employee) Northampton, England (UK)

ProsCompany values its employees and, as a result, has a very experienced team
    Provides clear direction if/when required
    Encourages promotion from within the company
    Friendly team that is willing to share knowledge

ConsCore technologies used within IT date back to mid 1990s
    Although management wants to update their technology stack, they don't have a clear vision on how to do so
    Relatively few challenges to be had with old technology infrastructure

Advice to Senior ManagementGive teams motivation to improve, rather than encouraging 9-5 mentality

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Bites the hand that feeds them

Branch Administrator (Former Employee) South Shields, England (UK)

ProsCan't think of anything off hand. You get paid when on the sick, but I never took time off sick. I just covered for everyone else who chose to stay off.

ConsThey must have been taken for a ride so many times in the past that their security procedures are claustrophobic at best. All the CCTV points toward the staff, not the shop floor. Branch financial errors are dealt with by "shoot first, ask questions after the funeral"

Advice to Senior ManagementThere is a difference between "Team building exercise" and "Getting drunk". Not everyone is a thief.

an ok company to work for but a lot of issues

Forklift Truck Driver Labourer (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

Prosenjoyable environment
    avg pay for the job
    payrise every year

Conslack of h&s
    lack of meetings
    some v bad attitudes with staff against others and customers
    lack of discipline and organization

Advice to Senior Managementget your staff in gear and have some respect,
     it all starts with the organ grinder

wickes and travis perkins

Category Supply (Former Employee) Harrow, England (UK)

Prosgood bonus scheme although unfair to non managers

Consinconsistent management and double standards

Growth oriented company

Prosgood working atmosphere, opportunities to learn, team work, stress free environment

Consless effort on part of the management to promote talents within the company, huge difference in pay parity.

Proud to be part of it

ProsSuccessful company with outstanding senior leaders
    Down to earth culture, supportive, friendly, hardworking and ambitous yet retains a family feel
    Driven by success

ConsOperating in the current climate is a challenge!

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work, try and maintain the values at the core of the business as it grows

Fantastic group of people to work with.

Middle Management (Former Employee)

ProsGreat management from Branch Managers upwards.
    Fair pay.
    Challenging environment.
    Morale.

ConsWinter weather, the cold and wet can get some down. Sorry I left the company after 11 years.

Advice to Senior ManagementRecognise that in general you have a great bunch of people working for you. Often a few words of thanks can raise spirits when times are difficult. Share scheme is important. Limit the extravegance.

An extremely well run, stable and paternal company that I am proud to be part of

Buying Manager (Current Employee) Northampton, England (UK)

ProsRecognition of good people
    Stretches and challenges
    Speed to react to new opportunities for growth
    Looks after its staff
    Very low staff turnover
    Exec Board accessible to all

ConsA large number of subsidary companies with their own culture and objectives needs careful time management

Worked for Travis Perkins? Contribute to the Community!