Traxxas

Be The First To
Add Photos

Mike Jenkins

It started well ...

Technical Support (Current Employee)
McKinney, TX

I have been working at Traxxas full-time for more than a year

ProsFun and exciting recreational products to work with. The worker bees (employees) are the strength of this company.

ConsProduct development is very Resistant to ideas and methods generally and readily accepted in operations and manufacturing environments. Process controls are seriously lacking.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to the ideas of your employees and pay more than lip service to hearing those ideas for making a better work place

Things are looking up!"

I have been working at Traxxas full-time for more than 3 years

ProsI have seen a lot of changes in the last 3 months and I like it! I believe more changes are coming, but I am excited about the future. There have been more internal opportunities and communication in the last 3 months than all the years I have been here.

Traxxas has one of the best benefit plans I have ever seen for a company this size. I may not have known about radio controlled vehicles before but I am quickly becoming a fan of the product and the company.

ConsSometimes with change, people get nervous. There has been some negative vibes with people leaving & positions changing. When people leave you expect some backlash. Understand most people don't leave a company completely satisfied and smiling, unless they won the lottery.

The hours may get tough sometimes and the travel can be exhausting at times, but hang in there and keep your chin up!

Advice to Senior ManagementStay connected and stay visible and things will continue to excel! It is great when you can sit down & have a BBQ dinner with the owner and then go out & race cars together.

Welcome to the Terrordome

Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Traxxas full-time for more than 8 years

ProsCool Christmas party thanks to previous owner
CEO's wife was/is one of the nicest, most sincere people I have met

ConsWow, where to start? I worked for Traxxas for 9 years. At first it was a great place to work with folks with a great passion for the product and the company but then things turned. The work life balance was laughable. It was not uncommon for people to work till 1 or 2 am and then be back to work at 7am the next morning. It was by far the worst culture I have ever worked in. The company has no loyalty and will fire people on a whim (some I think were done just for their amusement. They have let some great talent leave over the last 12 years which has contributed to their recent decline.

Advice to Senior ManagementCEO, hire a people manager. I realize this is the only experience you have in the business world but you have got to have a better morale in the office to get better production out of folks.

A terribly run private company that goes through money, employees, and Corona like toilet paper.

Field Marketing Specialist (Former Employee)

I worked at Traxxas full-time for less than a year

ProsYour life will consist of working 70 hour weeks that include traveling. Its not bad if you have a decent position in the company, but if you are a "Motorsports" or "CS" guy, say goodbye to your social life.

ConsEvery aspect of my job. Its not even worth the time to write a comprehensive list of Cons. Please do not move to Texas to work for this "company" like I did.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter start stockpiling good lawyers. There is absolutely no reason this company should be successful with how poorly its run. I cannot express how disappointed I was to represent such a corrupt company.

Best Industry. Worst Culture Ever. Disconnected and Juvenile Leaders

I worked at Traxxas full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThe R/C hobby industry is one of the best if not the best industry to be involved with. Note I said industry, not company. 95% of company employees are passionate about the hobby and industry, not the company. Positive reviews are from such awesome and great people. Said employees are some of the hardest working employees ever. That is the very reason the company is still afloat. However, do not be confused by positive reviews. They are complementing the industry and are simply still in the honeymoon phase. The quote, new building, end quote, is over four years in the making. Poor company performance is halting that move.

ConsWhat potential employees must understand is, the current leaders and engineers are not the ones responsible for the companies current success. The current company is not the same company that produced the tmaxx, emaxx, revo and erevo. Those are the products that put the company on the map and provided the previous and current success. Previous owner and lead engineers (of whom all have left) provided a great plan and product placement. Current corner offices have snubbed their noses at previous leaders and have taken the company a completely different direction….. A bad direction. The company’s current situation is backing that statement up. Words to describe the current management (keeping focus on the trickle down effect, meaning the top of the pyramid is where it all starts), words are but not limited to… entitled, reckless, juvenile, disconnected, anomie, self-proclaimed and delusional. A constant decline in quality (as noted in many forums and professional reviews), loss of product focus as it pertains to the customer, and poorly placed priorities are currently plaguing the company with no end in sight. Current management is overflowing with delinquent like behavior and making grasping-for-straws style decisions. I predict you will see some drastic measures to try and reclaim previous success. Maybe an attempt to rehire previous engineers? Maybe refocusing mission statements? Maybe apologies? They have written lots of checks they will need to pay for soon. The current flow of money is one direction. Out. And so is the flow of employees. Out. I wish the best of success for the sake of all my friends still there. Many great honest hard working people are still there (again, the only reason management is able to fly around on a private jet). And for many different reasons will remain there…. I wish the best. But the facts are pointing to a bad forecast.

Advice to Senior ManagementA note to the corner offices (and the one perched atop the totem pole), but not excluding all upper management who subscribe to the unethical commanding respect with nothing to back it up,…. Begin to act like adults. That would be the first step. Learn what it takes to earn respect and abandoned your commanding-respect philosophy.

Poor employee and customer relations

Plano, TX

I worked at Traxxas full-time for more than a year

ProsThe business itself could be great if not for the actual culture created by the leadership in work place.

ConsManagement makes it impossible to be a productive, motivated, and happy employee. They think they can dictate your life, push you to work beyond reasonable hours and yet they seem surprised that they can't maintain a quality work force. They fire people on a whim so everyone knows that they consider staff to be disposable. Others, who are amazingly talented get fed up by the management's chaos and leave. Between all of those let go and those that quit, all of the others are left to pick up the pieces often taking on more then they should on their already overly full plate. I watched so many good, hard-working and talented people be overworked, under appreciated and in many cases, simply treated flat-out wrong. Mix in the antics of the CEO with all the rumors -- many of which were known to be true -- of his outlandish and childish conduct, it was a far cry from a professional environment. I for one am glad to not be part of or be associated with.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake true pride in what could be an incredible business. Value and empower your employees to excellence. Get your CEO and his shenanigans under control or bring in a CEO and management team that cares more about leading the company to success than treating the business like another "joy ride" that effects other people's lives and well being.

A good place to work and find out how NOT to run a company

I worked at Traxxas full-time

ProsOnce Traxxas is on your resume it's a lot easier to get a job with another RC comapny. The experience I gained there has really helped further my career post-Traxxas. So I guess a selfish thank you is in order.

If you are a mindless sheep that doesn't enjoy reasonable pay, vacation, or normal human respect from your "superiors" this is the place for you!

ConsTraxxas was the most frustrating and dissapointing company I have ever worked for, by miles. Unfortunately the problems start at the top and there doesn't appear to be any relief in sight. The great deception is that since you're making fun toy cars you would assume its also a fun company to work for. It does have it's rare moments but generally it's a cold, cultureless, and drab place to work. I don't miss it one bit. Management has a unique blend of iron-fisted micromanagement that always seems to undermine your expertise. It's one of those things that builds up slowly over time and just drives you insane. Life is better elsewhere.

Advice to Senior ManagementCarry on, you're doing a great job!!!

Strange company. Stay away.

McKinney, TX

I worked at Traxxas full-time for less than a year

ProsIf you like RC & want to get it at a discount go for it. The departments work good together most of the time. Lots of teamwork & cooperation. Christmas party where everyone gets a pricy gift. Health insurance is surprisingly good. I do however raise a caution flag over this company. Gifts & good insurance come at a price. Read below & beware.

ConsThe end of each month is absolute hell on earth. By last month i mean the last two weeks of every month. The company hasn't learned to spread out distribution through various seasons. It's held and then you will be working literally 16, 17, 18 hour days. I'm not joking. you will literally work that many hours. If you are salaried, you won't even be given comp days for it either. You only get 3 sick days per year. And if you don't bring a Dr. note you won't get paid for it. So, basically, you have to go spend a couple hundred dollars at a doctor just to be off for an extreme cold.

Upper mgt is cold. They will walk by and not say a word. They have big talk of wanting to be a professional company, but they don't prove it. Out of 175 or so employees only 10 or fewer have worked there for 5 or more years. I had a position where it was my job to hire & to also make safety observations with this company. I was only allowed to hire people of a certain look. I was uncomfortable with this. I began to voice this & that I couldn't staff my department with their fickle choices. Company is unsafe. Non certified people driving heavy equipment in warehouse while engineers play with cars around them and employees talking on cell phones listening to ipods while driving inside. Inventory coming through the door so fast they have no where to put it, not even in new warehouse just completed. I tried to help them set up an inventory control process but Management would tell me that I was wasting my time & everything I would try to do to organize the warehouse based on my 17 years in logistics and would undermine everything I tried to do. Funny thing, when i arrived on the scene they were back ordering product that they had but couldnt find it. i mean back ordering to the tune of 20%. Once I voiced that I was uncomfortable with their hiring practices & began to initiate my own experience proven warehousing & inventory control measures I found myself being sat down & fired. They gave me no reason. I asked for a reason, they couldn't give one & didn't contest my unemployment claim. It's a good thing I knew it was coming & much did they know that I had already arranged to return to my old company (a fortune 20 company) & was about to quit. My old boss at unnamed company agreed to let me come on after I took a 3 month break and drew unemployment off traxxas. Now I'm back with my old job of a decade making 80k after all of my high hopes of getting on with a company like traxxas. It didn't surprise me when they fired me. My first day on the job my boss weaseled out of firing someone. He didn't show up to work. He left instructions for me to fire a new father who had just got back from fmla where he was caring for his wife. The instructions were to fire and give him no reason. I was prepared to be fired. i even had emptied my desk 2 weeks before. All current employees should have an exit strategy with traxxas. They are "us 4 & no more." All employees at traxxas are considered disposable.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe same two men have been managing your warehouse for nearly 2 years with no improvement. How long before you realize they are the problem?

Learn how to produce a product that doesn't require constant qa. You are wasting precious resources. You don't need 3 managers for a 18 man warehouse crew. You need one operations manager and a solid warehouse clerk. There isn't enough work for 3 managers.

Realize that you can't just keep hiring folks & firing for no reason or without giving reason and expect to be taken serious. Stop cheating your major distributors out of product because of poor inventory control. Be willing to spend a little money on some robotics & warehouse accounting software that has proven to help the largest companies in the world save millions and improve accuracy & quality. Upper management, let your people do their jobs without spoiling their work with a new outdated idea. Traxxas isn't your fathers company anymore. It's yours, it's bigger, and it's time you stop trying to be a playboy and actually be a governing CEO. If you can't do that, then you should just sell to Horizon or RC planet.

Company had a great future...until now

I worked at Traxxas full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe employees are AWESOME!! They work very hard to keep everything going in the right direction.

ConsOwner - More worried about the bottom line than the employees.
Owner & Executives - Make managers and employees feel inferior and they show no respect to anyone outside of their circle.
Lots of back-stabbing going on among the executive team.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep your head in the game and adjust with the growth of the company. Don't let a timed test decide the fate of your best candidates.

Best gig I've ever had

Engineering (Current Employee)
Plano, TX

I have been working at Traxxas full-time for less than a year

ProsThis is the ideal place to work as an engineer. The product is challenging yet fun. Constantly developing new product. The product goes from idea to ship very quickly. It is great to be able to walk into a hobby shop, point at a Traxxas product and say "I did that". This place rocks!
Sales continue to grow year over year. In this tough economy that is an encouraging sign.

ConsThe buildings are aging but the company is moving to a new headquarters this year.

Worked for Traxxas? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Traxxas reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Traxxas CEO Mike Jenkins. All 11 reviews posted anonymously by Traxxas employees.