Trayport Reviews

29 reviews filtered by
2.8
Trayport CEO Elliott Piggott
Elliott Piggott

It was a good experience

Former Employee - Technical Consultant
    Former Employee - Technical Consultant

I worked at Trayport full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Smart and interesting people back when Eddie was still the owner. Beer after work almost every day - good team spirit and a great culture. Annual company trip to some place in Europe was nice. Office environment was top-notch, with open desk for even management. Pantry always had lots of food for the staff to freely consume. A few of my old colleagues become team leads, so there must still be some good people around!

Cons

Pay was not too good; as technical consultant work sometimes gets boring and repetitive; client director back then was snobbish and a little arrogant.

I heard the company is not as good as before now. in my memory, Elliot was not a bad director - wonder what happened after Trayport got purchased by GFI.

Great opportunities to get involved in more than just your day job...

Current Employee - Anonymous in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Trayport full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great people, friendly atmosphere, chance to work outside the remit of your own role, great benefits, socials of all different kinds (BBQ, Film Night, Gaming Night). They support Corporate Social Responsibility - supporting causes in the matching employee fundraising etc...

Trayport is an interesting company with a real desire to continuously improve, for its client, employees and shareholders..

There's plenty of interesting work and chances to learn about new things.

The free breakfast and biscuits are also pretty awesome. As is the location of the office.

Cons

Having come from fast-paced environments, it was a challenge for me to come at things a little slower - but this is no bad thing, really.

Employee processes are less sophisticated than at previous organisations, but this is changing and is no big deal.

Continue to focus on improving Client service Excellence and also on Employee Engagement.

Started great, but politics and intimidation have changed Trayport for the worse

I worked at Trayport full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Free Coke and good work life balance. Work from Home and generally flexible working.
    Some smart people, but the best have largely moved on.
    Pay isn't bad, but isn't great either. Good benefits package tho.

Cons

Culture of bullying and intimidation in the Technology department, led by the CTO. Constant job threats for having even a slightly different opinion makes work stressful.

Keeps making the same mistakes, and what used to be at least current with technology is now hopelessly behind the curve. They follow the "Half Arsed Agile Manifesto" more than the real one, and they are adopting tools and practices in the "hold" on the Thoughtworks Technology Radar (i.e. TFS)

Projects overrunning by months being touted as success leads to lower morale in the teams that continually deliver business value. "Superstar" teams who never finish are rewarded with praise, while those on brownfield projects are chastised for not predicting what idea of the month is being implemented this month.

Lots of half implemented ideas have led to lots of fragmentation across the company as nothing is ever finished when it comes to effecting change. Example, there was a goal last year to unify tools to 1 strict toolset. They have doubled the number of tools. One month QA were moved from Technology to Delivery. 2 months later almost all the QA were made Developers. Most of them have zero developer experience, but are great QAs.

Massive switch in terms of quality of people hired. Used to get top candidates with years of experience. Most new hires are fresh out of university and have no experience of working on large legacy codebases. Lots of mistakes are made, and these are blamed on the senior guys. Easiest way to get hired is to be friends with or related to the boss - qualifications don't matter then.

Learn from previous mistakes rather than keep repeating them.
    Hire leaders for leadership positions instead of bullies.
    Listen to the staff - all comms to upper management goes through the filter of those who are the problem.

Pretty good benefits

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Trayport full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Benefits are pretty good, nice working hours, coworkers aren't too bad, good place to learn, nice working environment overall.

Cons

Management is less good. Micro manage. No cohesion within business. Little chance for responsibility or progression. Lack of organisational clarity and weirdly corporate for such a small company.

The main draw back of this company is micromanagement though, it would benefit if freedom of expression and initiative was encouraged. There should be a mutual trust built between employees and management

Allow some freedom

Leaders become great, not because of their power, but because of their ability to empower others.

I have been working at Trayport

Pros

Free food. Relaxed hours. Good resources to fulfil your duties.

Cons

Management structure, lack of leadership, politics.

Perhaps it is wise to have a look at your management style if your recruitment manager is the busiest employee in the company. Listen to your people, they are the ones who helped you to build your empire.

Constantly ruined by a select few

I worked at Trayport full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Trayport has a long held reputation for hiring great developers and QAs, and during my time there I definitely found that to be true. Working with talented people is one of my main requirements in a job so I found that very satisfying at Trayport. There were some interesting projects to work on as well and it always seemed like we were on the lookout for appropriate new technologies to use. It was a definite CV builder.

The social culture at Trayport was great too. Spent a lot of time at the pub after work and the monthly events they put on were always fun. Met some great people who I still see regularly.

Cons

All the pros I mentioned are unfortunately cast into the shadows by one major issue at Trayport: management. Like I've said, pretty much everyone on the ground (doing the actual work) does a fantastic job (although I've been hearing from people still there that recruitment quality has dropped off).

Trayport has an uncanny ability to hire absolutely appalling high level management. I generally view the top-brass as reasonably innocuous, it's the level just one below that are the issue. Not only do they seem consistently bad at their jobs but they're arrogant bullies who undermine anyone who they take a personal dislike to (i.e. if you disagree with them on any point whatsoever) and who blame developers/QAs for absolutely everything. There's certainly a feeling at Trayport that management view developers as a necessary evil, which is ridiculous.

This was the case when I was at Trayport (leading to them losing an incredible number of developers over a 6 month period) and although I heard it got better for a while it seems to be the case again (possibly even worse now by the sounds of it).

By far the busiest team at Trayport are HR with constant recruitment and exit interviews. Clearly that's not right.

If I were a potential candidate considering Trayport I'd stay a million miles away. It's just not worth the hassle.

Oh, and to top it all off the pay isn't very great, certainly not industry standard.

Just resign, you're poisoning what was once a great company.

Don't work here.

Former Employee - QA Test Engineer in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - QA Test Engineer in London, England (UK)

I worked at Trayport full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

None. Senior management team are full of NZX and ex Enron clowns. Development team are incredibly bright but lead in the wrong direction. No development has happened here since 2014 except writing acceptance test cases, and some clown has forced all the senior .NET architects/devs out. A++ would run production again.

Cons

Seppuku sounds about right. GG.

Uniquely positioned company that offers an opportunity to gain experience in technology, trading and energy all at once

I worked at Trayport full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Trayport is a fascinating place to work. Unique position means it offers employees the chance to fastrack experience and knowledge in technology, trading and energy all at once.
    Atmosphere - friendly, non-hierarchical and fun.
    Culture - very pleasant and fairly intellectual
    Compensation - pretty reasonable really
    Work-life balance - well-considered and there is flexibility in time-off and work practices.
    While the whole business has been in transition for the last couple of years... and there is no doubt still more to come... Trayport remains an excellent opportunity for those willing to look beyond pettiness or politics and see the bigger picture.

Cons

Transitional periods always polarise things and in Trayport's case this is no different. There is a lot the business could do better; there is a lot it does do better than 3 years ago.
    Not the clearest pathway for personal growth - you'll have to push to get where you want to go.
    Too many exceptional people leave as their next step upwards, since they can't find the opportunity internally.
    Remuneration often becomes a factor, when personal growth isn't optimal, and that seems the case here, especially for the best performers in the business.

Work with smart and friendly people

Current Contractor - Software Engineer in London, England (UK)
    Current Contractor - Software Engineer in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Trayport as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

Casual dress code, work with smart and friendly people, good work-life balance. Small company that punches above its weight.

Cons

Office politics, obsession with processes, working environment can be noisy and distracting.

Encourage and invest in more innovation

11. Great place to work, I was sad to leave and only did so because I moved from the UK.

I worked at Trayport full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The people! Finding the right people to join their team seems to be very important at Trayport and as such they have some truly talented people who constantly drive and challenge those around them. Trayport is a fun and social place to work and I genuinely enjoyed working with everyone there.

There is also opportunity to develop your skills and for promotion. Trayport seems to have a decent training budget and we were encouraged to go on courses or run training internally.

Great benefits, I’ve never worked anywhere like Trayport when it comes to benefits, work-life balance and support.

Trayport is a successful and stable company and it was great to be a part of that success. Since leaving Trayport I have worked for companies where people under constant fear of redundancy and cutbacks. In my 3 years at Trayport (over the GFC) we continued to grow, hired new staff, tried new things, got pay rises, there’re not many companies that did that over the GFC!

Last year we moved into a new office and although I had left before the move I have popped in for a visit and it is awesome!

Cons

Like all companies there was at times some frustrating politics.

There has been a lot of change over the last few years and although everyone at Trayport has worked hard to constantly improve the company and the way it works they haven’t always got it right. One thing I would say is that everyone at Trayport has the right intentions and seem to really care.

Listen to your teams.
    Keep promoting your people internally and providing opportunities.
    Keep working on cross functional relationships.