Trayport

Be The First To
Add Photos

Trayport CEO Elliott Piggott

Elliott Piggott

It was a good experience

Technical Consultant (Former Employee)

ProsSmart and interesting people back when Eddie was still the owner. Beer after work almost every day - good team spirit and a great culture. Annual company trip to some place in Europe was nice. Office environment was top-notch, with open desk for even management. Pantry always had lots of food for the staff to freely consume. A few of my old colleagues become team leads, so there must still be some good people around!

ConsPay was not too good; as technical consultant work sometimes gets boring and repetitive; client director back then was snobbish and a little arrogant.

Advice to Senior ManagementI heard the company is not as good as before now. in my memory, Elliot was not a bad director - wonder what happened after Trayport got purchased by GFI.

Uniquely positioned company that offers an opportunity to gain experience in technology, trading and energy all at once

(Former Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsTrayport is a fascinating place to work. Unique position means it offers employees the chance to fastrack experience and knowledge in technology, trading and energy all at once.
    Atmosphere - friendly, non-hierarchical and fun.
    Culture - very pleasant and fairly intellectual
    Compensation - pretty reasonable really
    Work-life balance - well-considered and there is flexibility in time-off and work practices.
    While the whole business has been in transition for the last couple of years... and there is no doubt still more to come... Trayport remains an excellent opportunity for those willing to look beyond pettiness or politics and see the bigger picture.

ConsTransitional periods always polarise things and in Trayport's case this is no different. There is a lot the business could do better; there is a lot it does do better than 3 years ago.
    Not the clearest pathway for personal growth - you'll have to push to get where you want to go.
    Too many exceptional people leave as their next step upwards, since they can't find the opportunity internally.
    Remuneration often becomes a factor, when personal growth isn't optimal, and that seems the case here, especially for the best performers in the business.

Great place to work, I was sad to leave and only did so because I moved from the UK.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsThe people! Finding the right people to join their team seems to be very important at Trayport and as such they have some truly talented people who constantly drive and challenge those around them. Trayport is a fun and social place to work and I genuinely enjoyed working with everyone there.

There is also opportunity to develop your skills and for promotion. Trayport seems to have a decent training budget and we were encouraged to go on courses or run training internally.

Great benefits, I’ve never worked anywhere like Trayport when it comes to benefits, work-life balance and support.

Trayport is a successful and stable company and it was great to be a part of that success. Since leaving Trayport I have worked for companies where people under constant fear of redundancy and cutbacks. In my 3 years at Trayport (over the GFC) we continued to grow, hired new staff, tried new things, got pay rises, there’re not many companies that did that over the GFC!

Last year we moved into a new office and although I had left before the move I have popped in for a visit and it is awesome!

ConsLike all companies there was at times some frustrating politics.

There has been a lot of change over the last few years and although everyone at Trayport has worked hard to constantly improve the company and the way it works they haven’t always got it right. One thing I would say is that everyone at Trayport has the right intentions and seem to really care.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your teams.
    Keep promoting your people internally and providing opportunities.
    Keep working on cross functional relationships.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Work with smart and friendly people

Software Engineer (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsCasual dress code, work with smart and friendly people, good work-life balance. Small company that punches above its weight.

ConsOffice politics, obsession with processes, working environment can be noisy and distracting.

Advice to Senior ManagementEncourage and invest in more innovation

Good Bad Ugly

Technical Tester (Former Employee)

ProsAt the time was filled with really great and fun people to work with.
    At the time had Nice benefits, e.g breakfast, socials, free gym (or discounted)
    Pay was good, with opportunities for pay rises later.

ConsWhile I was there quite a few of the Pros changed. As many people left and new people arrived (as with all companies). New People were hired who weren't a proper fit for the company culture.

It sounds stupid, but, some of the free food stuff changed for the worse (I think they were cracking down on the free food budget).

Being micro managed as a new starter was really tiresome.
    Having monthly reviews and personal goals set was really boring too. No one really took them seriously, so it was just another meeting to go to.

Advice to Senior ManagementCompany Culture is really important. It's hard to strike the right balance of really great workers and people who fit in right. Also, Spend a little extra on free food stuff. It's the little things that count and having free biscuits/whatever really does make a difference to the average day!

Friendly staff to work with and lots of talent in one place, really enjoyed my time there.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsI have worked at some great companies and with good people but Trayport staff were the most talented bunch I have worked with.
    They welcome opinions and are keen to let you contribute to change and constant improvement.
    Good social life and very friendly people.
    Weekend away, good bonus, free breakfast, free drinks, fruit, sponsored socials, lots to add to the benefits of working there. Some staff always see the grass is greener elsewhere, but Trayport treats it's staff better than any company I have worked for before.
    Quite a few comments re getting sued but I went to work for a client just spoke to them early, they like any firm just need to protect the sensitive commercial interests, definitely don't let this put you off.
    Lots of good examples of staff moving roles and developing their careers, this has really opened up in the last couple of years.

ConsYou need to get stuck in and not stand on ceremony.
    Yes some senior politics but generally does not impact most staff.
    Some legacy technology but it's disappearing gradually as new deliveries come through.

Advice to Senior ManagementFollow through on some of the really key decisions and organisational change that has been set in train. Don't let politics or individual senior interests get in the way.

It's not that bad

Devlops (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsI've met some great people working here. It's good place to break into financial markets and learn niche technology like F#. We even have a guy who invited it and he is amazing developer . I get hired back as contractor soon.
    Honestly I have not been exposed to the kind of things the other reviews talk about.

ConsThey sue you. Last threat was march 2013.
    Management write fake reviews!

Advice to Senior Managementyou is good !

If you want to have a great social life, this is the place to be

Senior QA (Former Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsFree social events, very talented engineers.

ConsWarning: if you try to leave to go to a "competitor" they will attempt to sue you. Even normal Dev and QA. This happened multiple times when I was there and has continued after I left.

Advice to Senior ManagementUse the talent you have been fortunate enough to receive.

Work on interesting problems in a fun and innovative environment in a great location

Developer (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsTrayport has a wide range of products to work on that are used across the finance industry by investment banks, utilities, hedge funds and prop shops. The environment is relaxed and friendly, with more of a software house feel, developers dress casually and there are organised social events once a month. Trayport is strong in technology and not afraid to try out new tools and techniques like C++11, Boost, BDD, NCrunch, R#, Rx and F#. There are internal lightning talks once a month at lunch and invited speakers through the year. Internal training is provided on trading, software development and even presenting. Attending conferences and external training events is also encouraged. Career progression at Trayport is not limited to becoming a manager, you can be rewarded for your technical skills too.

ConsIn the recent past some of the atmosphere was marred by internal politics, however most of the characters involved have now moved on and this is no longer the case.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep process and ceremony to a minimum.

Great place to develop your software dev skills by working with fun and intelligent people

Experienced Developer (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsMany extremely talented software developers who are very experienced at .NET (C#/F#) and C++ (including C++11). Use the latest tools such as VS2012.
    Lots of good internal technical talks and mentoring/group discussions which allow you to broaden your skills/experience.
    Gain financial market knowledge by working on interesting projects.
    See how your work makes a difference in the real world by actually working with clients, client managers and product managers (if you want) on a semi-regular basis. Learn how to build software that really helps the client by hearing real feedback.

ConsSometimes there is an over emphasis on how things are done (i.e. processes) - rather than just valuing delivering quality software - but this is improving with the new CTO - hope things continue to get better.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to focus on getting back to delivering quality software regularly and with only the minimum amount of ceremony. Help us to really feel proud of the software we make!

Worked for Trayport? Contribute to the Community!