Trek Bicycle Reviews

Trek Bicycle President and CEO John Burke
John Burke

1. Administrative Assistant

I worked at Trek Bicycle

Pros

Great benefits; fun working environment

Cons

Out in the middle of nowhere

Advice to Management

Lighten up

2. Video Intern

Current Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Current Intern - Anonymous Intern

I have been working at Trek Bicycle as an intern

Pros

I learned a lot at Trek. I had great mentors/managers.

Cons

The location isn't optimal if you want to live in a bigger city, it's about a 40 minute commute from Madison.

Advice to Management

No advice from management, I had nothing but good experiences with the people working above me.

3. Group Leader

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ontario, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ontario, CA

I worked at Trek Bicycle

Pros

Culture
    Profit Sharing
    Time off &Holiday pay

Cons

Career advancement opportunities available mainly in WI.
    Pay

5. Picker/Packer

I worked at Trek Bicycle part-time

Pros

Nice Employers and Colleagues. I believe we all received stock in the company which you can cash out at the end of your employment.

Cons

Can get very labor intensive during the spring and summer busy season. They could also invest in some air conditioning for the warehouse

6. Decent place to work and fast paced. You will be challenged in a positive way.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waterloo, WI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waterloo, WI

I worked at Trek Bicycle (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of opportunities if you are into biking or want to get into biking. Company has very good amenities and opportunities to participate in biking in the area around the home office (road and mountain biking). Good fitness facilities and classes available.

Cons

People not valued as much if you do not work directly in Bike area of business.

7. designer

Current Employee - Designer in Waterloo, WI
    Current Employee - Designer in Waterloo, WI

I have been working at Trek Bicycle

Pros

Lunch rides, fitness center, Cafe, promotes from within.

Cons

Terrible work /life balance, low pay, very unorganized, internal communication is terrible!

Trek Bicycle is fine as a corp... but the web side is completely mismanaged, especially Java side.

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Waterloo, WI
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Waterloo, WI

I worked at Trek Bicycle full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Great on-site mountain biking park
    - Great employee bike and misc purchasing program
    - Great work-life balance (well this is because management does not know how to push people nor clearly define tasks)

Cons

- Not enough Sprint planning: developers will see most of the tasks the first time on sprint planning and was asked to provide an estimate so work can start the next day with no coding diving nor architectural planning. A lot of times ticket only note things are broken but what way should it be. Management STOPPED people from planning a sprint ahead.
    - No Retro: Retro let team reflect what works and what does not, which provide a communicate platform for team to communicate and to learn. Management find this useless and cut it.
    - No architectural decision: There are no architects in the firm. Code base has been in use for 10+ years, tons of features are just there on the site and NO ONE has an idea if those are working and there are no plans to find out. Package design are not there; instead of using web services, you have to deploy jars left and right with no clear plan of improvement. Code is very unstable and the developer does not have much faith in it. The clear objective is to establish baseline and then plan forward; where the management wants to move everything to cloud and change svn to git (to this day i still don't get why would they feel justified for doing so)
    - ZERO regression test: Yup you heard it! there are only two qa with the team, and they fired the one who worked on automation and has deep knowledge in real life testing. Still no plan of having regression test.

- High turnover rate: On the Java side, there is only one programmer has worked full time more than one year; right now there are more contractor than full-time. All the managers since 2012 left with in 2 years.
    - Unprofessional management: Permanent employee will get let go with no warning. Middle management will sacrifice people beneath them to make them look better.
    - Weak middle management: When requirements come down, they would just react. They do not protect the team form useless work. Performance review was very surprising most of the time ( It is really hard to have this happen when there are sprint review every 2 weeks)

Advice to Management

If you want to kill java in Trek, at least do it right! make sure your stuff work by having a automated regression test. Move java into services and have even more tests about it. Why do you have to make the whole java team suffer?

Great company, but didn't gain much experience as an intern

Former Employee - Engineering Intern
    Former Employee - Engineering Intern

I worked at Trek Bicycle

Pros

So many cool benefits
    Taking a break from work to workout
    Cool people
    Relatively chill environment

Cons

The pay was much lower than what my peers were making at other internships

Advice to Management

GIve you interns projects where they can actually learn something. I already know how to recycle cardboard.

Mansion Hill Inn, a great working environment.

Former Employee - Innkeeper in Madison, WI
    Former Employee - Innkeeper in Madison, WI

I worked at Trek Bicycle full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people, beautiful building, good benefits (health care, 401k), fun environment within Trek.

Cons

Very few - what you see is what you get. Events are hard work, but they are satisfying.

Advice to Management

Provide more training courses. They were very helpful, but perhaps too few during my time.

Electronics Intern

Former Employee - Electronic Engineer
    Former Employee - Electronic Engineer

I worked at Trek Bicycle

Pros

While electronics are not the mainstream part of this company, everyone always treated me like I belonged. It was such a positive environment that it was almost surreal. The management was structured and even when the team was under pressure to finish a product, the atmosphere remained positive.

Cons

The pay was low even for an internship. Being a small company there was small talk drama between conflicting personalities, but again it felt more like the type of sass that two siblings would share because the working environment was so relaxed.

Advice to Management

Keep moving forward, management has made a huge steps in the right direction I think they just need to keep their wave of motivation in motion.