Trend Micro

Trend Micro Reviews

Updated Jul 1, 2014

Trend Micro CEO and Director Eva Y. F. Chen

Eva Y. F. Chen

Pros:
  • "Good work/life balance, but outside of that I don't have anything else nice to say"
    in 16 reviews
  • "Good working environment and colleagues are really nice"
    in 13 reviews
Cons:
  • "Long hours, will use PIP to get any employee out of the company they think does not fit"
    in 5 reviews
  • "no clear direction, to many products, focus changing every Q"
    in 5 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Exciting and challenging

Cupertino, CA

ProsGreat environment to learn on-the-job and travel internationally.

ConsLack of strategic direction and focus.

Advice to Senior ManagementRevamp overall strategy to keep up with the competitive environment and be clear. Be supportive to good employees and provide opportunities to advance.

Going from bad to worse

Irrelevant (Current Employee)
    Cupertino, CA

ProsWork from home, never get fired if you just be polite and say yes to your boss.

ConsSecurity is a necessary evil, that's the only reason why the company is still making money.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet your head out of cloud

Career advancement is essentially non-existent

Cupertino, CA

ProsInteresting technology, highly intelligent people, collaboration and knowledge sharing is great. Great co-workers and casual dress code. Environment is more or less relax

ConsInfrastructure could use a lot of improvements. There's a lot of recurring problems. Career growth is virtually zero. Unless your superior resigns, you can't go up the ladder. More often than not, if they had to backfill a position, they'd look for outside candidates. New hires advances further and faster than old ones, both career-wise and salary-wise

Advice to Senior ManagementI don't know what go say, some management are good while others are so-so. CEO is great but that's about it. Some departments have sr directors who shouldn't even be a manager. Look at your sales and tech support organization, seriously. And Taiwan doesn't always have the right people -most of them don't have a clue

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Interesting

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Cupertino, CA

ProsGood stable dependable steady technology

ConsOdd culture but OK for some

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to employees more. Pay greater attention to market trends.

place to work

Cupertino, CA

Prosreasonable good place. Good work life balance.

Constoo many random organization changes. very little patience and strategic thinking. More tactical in execution

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to foster the friendly and supportive culture. However, patience in strategic decision process is key.

management team

Lake Forest, CA

Prosprovides opportunity for innovation and encourages employees to do mistake for creativity and innovation. very supportive executive team for innovative ideas

Consmostly home grown executive team. lacks the best practices and principles to take company to the next level of success.

Advice to Senior Managementsee what is happening outside the company and in the industry

Good place to start a career

Manager (Former Employee)
    Cupertino, CA

ProsTrend is a good place to work for people beginning their careers. TM likes to "mold" employees so their way of doing things and this is best done with junior people.

ConsTrend does not do a good job of respecting the various cultures represented. There is a disturbing "us v them" mentality between corporate and the rest of the regions.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou need to improve communication. Employees want to know what is happening with the company and not with a "spin" but in reality. Also, you need to have a strategy versus letting things just happen to the company. Bring in stronger leaders with experience in larger organizations and you may have a chance for success.

Good place

ProsPeople are professional, environment is friendly, seeable opportunity, good benefits, fair review policy, and commute distance is good for most in the valley.

ConsIt is hard to say cons but just list of some thing I could think of, such as work overtime.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe management knows what they do, so I don't need advice. But their number one priority is to make company profitable and maximize stockholder and employee.

Stay away, far away.

Linux Administrator (Current Employee)
    Cupertino, CA

ProsDuring my time there I met a number of very talented people who I greatly enjoyed with. Sadly they're slowly trickling away from Trend due to the negatives of the job.

Salary is very good, and benefits aren't bad at all.

ConsThe absolute worst part about working at Trend was the amount of thinly veiled racism that permeated every decision by management. The Philippines office, despite being home to something like 75% of trend's technical workers is constantly berated by the management staff, who happen to be almost exclusively Taiwanese. The constant abuse of the Philippines staff was a recurring theme of nearly every ticket that I saw or processed myself.

Beyond the exploitative culture there's the never ending meetings that *everybody* is expected to attend in addition to a normal 9-5 shift. Often time the meetings were 4 nights a week, twice a month or so on weekends, from about 6-11PM PST. Sleep deprivation is at an epidemic level, and on more than one occasion I saw people working 24hr+shifts. In the case of PH workers in the US, I've seen them be mandated by their management to work 36hr shifts before ("no, you can't have a new resource take over, you stay here until it's fixed!").

At one point a manager I was working with told me they were given this wonderful gem of a quote that I think sums up the culture perfectly: "it's more important for people to want to work with you again than it is to ship a quality product".

Advice to Senior ManagementNepotism is not a viable hiring strategy long term.

Good Place to work for but not for long term.

Software Engineer (Former Employee)
    Cupertino, CA

ProsThe company treat employee well with good benefits. For a software engineer, it provides challenge and good environment to stay on top of technology. A true international company with business units across the globe. The company has been profitable and is a respectable player in computer security industry.

ConsNot a US based company, a lot of decision will come from overseas. Jobs are been INSOURCED to business unit with lower costs. Management are not seasoned. As a result getting constructive career direction can be difficult.

Advice to Senior ManagementToo much change will confuse your employees.

Worked for Trend Micro? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Trend Micro reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Trend Micro CEO Eva Y. F. Chen. All 184 reviews posted anonymously by Trend Micro employees.