Trend Micro

Trend Micro Reviews

Updated Jul 1, 2014

Trend Micro CEO and Director Eva Y. F. Chen

Eva Y. F. Chen

Pros:
  • "Good work/life balance, but outside of that I don't have anything else nice to say"
    in 16 reviews
  • "Good working environment and colleagues are really nice"
    in 13 reviews
Cons:
  • "Long hours, will use PIP to get any employee out of the company they think does not fit"
    in 5 reviews
  • "no clear direction, to many products, focus changing every Q"
    in 5 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Overall good, typical ups and downs though.

Ops (Current Employee)
    Irving, TX

ProsGood company culture which places very heavy emphasis on change, taking risks, collaboration. Cash Performance Bonuses usually at 5%-7% of base, if company meets goals. HR attempts to get people on board with being open-minded and innovative, collaborative. Good company to get experience.

ConsSales runs the company, which is no surprise, but unfortunately Sales doesn't focus on profitability - only sales, commissions, bonuses, etc, which results in extremely discounted deals being approved at executive level, resulting in undervalued product, and ultimately no Cash Performance Bonus (most of the time). Since Sales runs the company, everything else gets lower ranking in priority, so your projects get bumped many times for their projects, which mostly seem to be fluff - not based on hard analytics.

Recently, many good Marketing people were let go from the company in favor of cronies of the new Sales leadership. New Marketing people really seem to be struggling, which makes me doubt the new Sales leadership and HR know how to manage this change. They may be good at what they do, but what they do isn't visible, so appears as though they are sitting on their laurels not communicating product changes, campaigns, etc to Sales.

Initially office was in Ft Worth, then moved 25 miles east to Arlington for several years, then moved 20 miles northeast into the heart of Irving, TX. The new move has resulted in a dozen or so good employees leaving the company - not what we needed - for covered parking and marble counter tops. I'm not clear on what the ROI is supposed to be for this new high end space. Still paying rent on the old space in Arlington too.

Treated me well

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe company has great benefits and the pay scale is fair. They do hire from within so internal moves are welcome and frequent. The office culture is fun with company-sponsored events and "fun days" as well as team building. A fast-paced work environment seems to weed out the slackers nicely.

ConsThey could do better with professional development. The ability to add certifications or stretch to new areas isn't easy and doesn't appear to be a focus. The review process is non-existent. The new hire process isn't consistent between departments and doesn't seem that well defined.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore bottom-up planning would be a means to get closer to the front line employees and work out some of the issues that need improvement.

Downhill Fast

ProsThe people that haven't been fired are great

ConsCanadian Mafia Boss runs North America like his own personal concentration camp. The 'Dare to Fail' culture is fine if you don't work in North America.

Advice to Senior ManagementWake up. Trend Micro used to have heart, now Trend Micro has a terminal heart condition.
    If anyone actually reads this of any importance at Trend Micro. It's time to get people back to caring about the company, instead of just trying to stay employed. Opportunities are missed or ignored due to a sad lack of core values being propagated in the US. With the exception of the friends of the Don, everyone is subject to a rather different 'Fail if you Dare' core value.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Product Manager

Product Manager (Current Employee)
    Cupertino, CA

ProsGlobal view of business. Technical driven.
    Product and Technical is the center of the company.

ConsVery little resources if your products are not "strategic".
    When you have the resources, you will need to make progress very quickly or you are done.
    However, when you have resources, there will be many back-seat drivers....

Advice to Senior ManagementCarrots and sticks, more.

Good company, awful manager

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood people to work with except if you get an awful manager like I did.
    If you live in the South Bay it is an easy commute

ConsMarketing manager was awful to work with. Micro-managed everything!

Advice to Senior ManagementEmpower your individual contributors more. They can do great work if given the chance.

Great place to work, I got out before things went downhill.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat benefits, working from home, product marketing management team.

ConsDisorganized management, lackluster marketing/product strategy

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Sales

ProsGreat solutions especially in regard to Data Center security. Great culture and people to work with. Benefits are way above average. Never had a bad manager/director.

ConsComp plans are not good and are pretty much an insult to any sales rep with a brain. Sales people are driven by incentives and only a very small baby carrot is being dangled in front of us today. Way to many territory changes makes it difficult to maintain relationships. 100% channel company that only see channel as a fulfillment tool not a sales tool.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide competitive comp plans that drive proper behavior. Be consistent with territories. Change the culture to not just be 100% channel but to also be channel friendly.

Good product, Mostly great people and good company

Sales (Current Employee)

ProsUnmatched benefits, casual work environment, ability to make money, good products, great upper management, really good tenured people and great vacation/holiday packages.

ConsExtremely weak Middle Management Team who lack confidence and ability to lead. Minimal advancement opportunities. North American focus and the Corporate focus out of Japan rarely line up.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave the confidence to manage don't be defensive when decisions are questioned.

Customer Service

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee)

ProsGood work/life balance, but outside of that I don't have anything else nice to say.

ConsEveryone out for themselves due to the constant turmoil. No teamwork or central goals. I trusted no one. I wish I'd left much sooner. Any pay increases ended years ago except for the few in the inner circle.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop looking out for yourself and go back to running Trend as the great company it was.

If only I were from Canada

Senior Engineer (Current Employee)

ProsGreat people in the field. Knowledgeable, helpful, great to work with.

ConsSenior management is a Canadian mafia that has moved south. Unless you are Canadian or have prior history with Execs, you are toast

Advice to Senior ManagementClean house. The stated company values that the CEO strives for, "dare to fail" are the exact opposite of how the business is run. Fail and your fired!

Worked for Trend Micro? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Trend Micro reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Trend Micro CEO Eva Y. F. Chen. All 184 reviews posted anonymously by Trend Micro employees.