Trend Micro Reviews

Updated August 19, 2014

3.2

Trend Micro CEO and Director Eva Y. F. Chen
Eva Y. F. Chen

Pros
  • Good work/life balance, but outside of that I don't have anything else nice to say (in 17 reviews)

• Good working environment and colleagues are really nice (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours, will use PIP to get any employee out of the company they think does not fit (in 5 reviews)

• no clear direction, to many products, focus changing every Q (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

great locations

Former Employee - Creative Manager  in  Cupertino, CA
    Former Employee - Creative Manager in Cupertino, CA

I worked at Trend Micro full-time for more than a year

Pros

close to restaurants and shops that I like to go to during non-working hours and on weekends with my friends and family

Cons

sometimes parking is difficult because of all the shops and restaurants in the area which I like and I guess everyone else must like too

good job

The only thing constant is change

I have been working at Trend Micro full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The people are great, the schedules are flexible and supportive of family commitments, there are a lot of opportunities to travel. The culture is not cut throat or pretentious. Everybody gets their hands dirty. It's great for self-starters.

Cons

There are no clearly defined career paths or formal training programs to grow. It's not good for people who don't like to wear a lot of hats and who need a lot of direction.

If executives worked harder to keep good people happy and growing, plus clearly defined and communicated the strategy and goals, and the 'why' behind big decisions, this company would be almost perfect.

Overall good, typical ups and downs though.

Current Employee - Ops  in  Irving, TX
    Current Employee - Ops in Irving, TX

I have been working at Trend Micro full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Good company culture which places very heavy emphasis on change, taking risks, collaboration. Cash Performance Bonuses usually at 5%-7% of base, if company meets goals. HR attempts to get people on board with being open-minded and innovative, collaborative. Good company to get experience.

Cons

Sales runs the company, which is no surprise, but unfortunately Sales doesn't focus on profitability - only sales, commissions, bonuses, etc, which results in extremely discounted deals being approved at executive level, resulting in undervalued product, and ultimately no Cash Performance Bonus (most of the time). Since Sales runs the company, everything else gets lower ranking in priority, so your projects get bumped many times for their projects, which mostly seem to be fluff - not based on hard analytics.

Recently, many good Marketing people were let go from the company in favor of cronies of the new Sales leadership. New Marketing people really seem to be struggling, which makes me doubt the new Sales leadership and HR know how to manage this change. They may be good at what they do, but what they do isn't visible, so appears as though they are sitting on their laurels not communicating product changes, campaigns, etc to Sales.

Initially office was in Ft Worth, then moved 25 miles east to Arlington for several years, then moved 20 miles northeast into the heart of Irving, TX. The new move has resulted in a dozen or so good employees leaving the company - not what we needed - for covered parking and marble counter tops. I'm not clear on what the ROI is supposed to be for this new high end space. Still paying rent on the old space in Arlington too.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Treated me well

I worked at Trend Micro full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The company has great benefits and the pay scale is fair. They do hire from within so internal moves are welcome and frequent. The office culture is fun with company-sponsored events and "fun days" as well as team building. A fast-paced work environment seems to weed out the slackers nicely.

Cons

They could do better with professional development. The ability to add certifications or stretch to new areas isn't easy and doesn't appear to be a focus. The review process is non-existent. The new hire process isn't consistent between departments and doesn't seem that well defined.

More bottom-up planning would be a means to get closer to the front line employees and work out some of the issues that need improvement.

Downhill Fast

I have been working at Trend Micro full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

The people that haven't been fired are great

Cons

Canadian Mafia Boss runs North America like his own personal concentration camp. The 'Dare to Fail' culture is fine if you don't work in North America.

Wake up. Trend Micro used to have heart, now Trend Micro has a terminal heart condition.
    If anyone actually reads this of any importance at Trend Micro. It's time to get people back to caring about the company, instead of just trying to stay employed. Opportunities are missed or ignored due to a sad lack of core values being propagated in the US. With the exception of the friends of the Don, everyone is subject to a rather different 'Fail if you Dare' core value.

Product Manager

Current Employee - Product Manager  in  Cupertino, CA
    Current Employee - Product Manager in Cupertino, CA

I have been working at Trend Micro full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Global view of business. Technical driven.
    Product and Technical is the center of the company.

Cons

Very little resources if your products are not "strategic".
    When you have the resources, you will need to make progress very quickly or you are done.
    However, when you have resources, there will be many back-seat drivers....

Carrots and sticks, more.

Good company, awful manager

I worked at Trend Micro full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good people to work with except if you get an awful manager like I did.
    If you live in the South Bay it is an easy commute

Cons

Marketing manager was awful to work with. Micro-managed everything!

Empower your individual contributors more. They can do great work if given the chance.

Great place to work, I got out before things went downhill.

I worked at Trend Micro full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great benefits, working from home, product marketing management team.

Cons

Disorganized management, lackluster marketing/product strategy

Sales

I have been working at Trend Micro full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great solutions especially in regard to Data Center security. Great culture and people to work with. Benefits are way above average. Never had a bad manager/director.

Cons

Comp plans are not good and are pretty much an insult to any sales rep with a brain. Sales people are driven by incentives and only a very small baby carrot is being dangled in front of us today. Way to many territory changes makes it difficult to maintain relationships. 100% channel company that only see channel as a fulfillment tool not a sales tool.

Provide competitive comp plans that drive proper behavior. Be consistent with territories. Change the culture to not just be 100% channel but to also be channel friendly.

Good product, Mostly great people and good company

Current Employee - Sales
    Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at Trend Micro full-time

Pros

Unmatched benefits, casual work environment, ability to make money, good products, great upper management, really good tenured people and great vacation/holiday packages.

Cons

Extremely weak Middle Management Team who lack confidence and ability to lead. Minimal advancement opportunities. North American focus and the Corporate focus out of Japan rarely line up.

Have the confidence to manage don't be defensive when decisions are questioned.

Worked for Trend Micro? Contribute to the Community!