Treyarch

Updated February 20, 2015
3.7

Treyarch Studio Head Mark Lamla
Mark Lamla

Friendly Atmosphere in QA, aesthetically pleasing studio, good benefits for your own future and career!

Current Contractor - QA Tester in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Contractor - QA Tester in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Treyarch as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

Wonderful group of people to work with and friendly to interact with on a daily basis. The studio head, Mark Lamia is friendly, energetic, kind and approachable and upon meeting him you feel at home. Animators, developers, builders, management, directors, producers etc. have been kind, talkative and a great group to work with. If your looking to get into the industry this is a great company to be a part of as they nurture you and feed you as well! haha.

I have no complaints and everyday I'm grateful/thankful to be a part of this growing company. I have learned a great deal in QA over the past 3 months and I continue to learn as well. If you want to learn QA this is a great place to be, as they mentor you from some experience in bug writing to even more complex bug writing and researching. The leads are organized, and ready to teach you the tasks at hand. The QA team grows from the beginning of the year to the end of the project, and it is great to meet new QA from different companies as they have a lot to share with you.

I can say that everyday you feel at home with provided food, benefits and events that the TREYARCH team provides. I think they should continue to strive for the employees health everyday.

Cons

For me personally I had a hard time at first asking questions around the QA team because of the lack of experience seemed to be off-putting to some, but when time passed they definitely opened up to me more and understood me as well. I think it can be a little intimidating at first especially if you are fairly new to QA, but only a minor issue.

I would say that they have been providing a nice atmosphere and friendly interaction with the employees, keep up the interaction and asking questions to us.

Production-Driven Studio

Former Employee - Game Designer in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Game Designer in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at Treyarch full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Work on a wide-reaching product
    Extensive content-creation resources
    All overtime is paid (up to a certain salary level)
    Designers on Zombies have significant impact.
    Good bonuses.
    Programmers are accessible and easy to work with.
    Before I got married, the energy and drive was exciting.

Cons

Overtime can dominate your life if you're not careful.
    Lots of time wasted early in development
    Designers have little say in single-player design, production drives design.
    Final-say decisions are often made behind closed doors.
    Franchise fatigue is real.
    Company has grown quickly causing bad siloing.
    Role descriptions not made clear.

Make better use of early development time.
    Guarantee at least one day off each week.
    Include people in decisions about their work.
    Create explicit role descriptions so people understand why they are/aren't advancing.

Loved the work, not the leads.

Former Employee - Environment Artist in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Environment Artist in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Treyarch full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

3d work. It was creative.

Cons

Really horrible work/life balance. We were "asked" to work 12-14 hours a day, 6 days a week for months on end during crunch time. Lots of back-stabbing by higher ups. They also will value the interns who will practically live there and work for free over experienced workers, thus perpetuating the vicious cycle of crunch time due to rookie mistakes.

Great place to work, great projects.

I have been working at Treyarch

Pros

I have been working at Treyarch for 10 years (and Activision for 18 years) and I love it. This is a place full of talented and very motivated people which is inspiring for everyone. The atmosphere is laid back even though we are working on AAA titles. The studio has a long track record of producing very successful game and you definitely feel the challenge, but you are given the resource and support to do the best job possible. I have seen the studio growing over the years, going throw some thriving and also some difficult time, but most importantly this is a studio who has reached maturity where anyone has a chance to be successful.

Cons

Some long hours for an extended period of time prior to ship a game but I think this is to be expected in the industry like it would be with most creative jobs. I also feel compensated for my time and effort.

Keep pushing and supporting people to be the best at what they are doing. Keep making great video games.

Not really a great company to work for...unless you have no life.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at Treyarch full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Nice culture if you're into it.
    It's a name to add on your resume.
    Core hours are 10:00am to 7:00pm
    Nice Snacks
    Free copies of the game you worked on for all platforms that you can trade in for something you actually want to play.
    Nice bonus if you can last long enough to get it.

Cons

Mediocre pay (salary) and when you get hit by bad time management from producers and 14+ hour work days during 4 month crunches you really start to hate your life choice to work here.
    Zero input in the development of game, and that's game as in singular since Treyarch has become a Call of Duty cow for Activision, it feels like you have worked on the same game forever.
    People dropping work on you at 6:50pm, you're staying till midnight now and they go home.
    Kiss you family and friends goodbye during crunches.
    You get old fast.

None what so ever. Period. If you do code you will do it forever and unless someone dies or quits you can forget about moving up into any position. Seriously, somebody has to quit or die.
    So you think you have a game to want to submit, forget about it and don't even try to add your 2 cents to the game your working on (CoD 15).
    People get fired for the lamest reason and most always they are the Testers.
    Some companies give you a nice bonus or paid vacation hell even a watch when you hit 10 years, here you get a chrome plated plastic xbox controller on a piece of wood. "Thanks for making us 300 Million in a week sucker."
    Seriously, if you can work here you should just get into a FX studio, work is more satisfying, crunches are more relaxed since management is better, and you actually get paid what you are worth, which is what it comes down to.
    Get paid what you're worth!

Making videos in youtube

Current Employee - Youtuber in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Youtuber in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Treyarch

Pros

First its a very good company To work at and it have the best selling Games.

Cons

To make a game so that every one likes.

This is the best company

Great projects and people, but never ending crunch hours

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Treyarch full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

It's nice working on such a high profile product, and many people are great to collaborate with.

Cons

The crunch hours are unending and inexcusable.

Design and scheduling must be better separated to maintain proper scope for the project. Longer work hours should be a last resort, not a fact of life

Great Internship Experience

Former Intern - Engineering Intern in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Intern - Engineering Intern in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at Treyarch as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

-Got to work with some really talented people
    -Most of the people that I interacted with were really cool and accepting
    -Worked on real tasks that will have an impact on the game, got a chance to direct what I worked on based on what I wanted to learn
    -Awesome interview series that gave me an excuse to talk to different people from teams across the studio each week. Definitely my favorite part of the internship, it was so valuable getting even an hour of these peoples' undivided attention who are thriving in this industry, producing games at the highest level, and as I said before were pretty cool and seemed to care about mentoring and steering me in the right direction.
    -Cool intern activities, company wide events, multiplayer playtests...I just had an awesome time, it was surreal for me as a gamer and as a developing engineer to get a chance to work on a AAA title, make an impact that I'll get to see in the game, and meet all of these great people.

-Can't complain about Santa Monica in the summer either...

Cons

-I didn't get a chance to experience the studio during crunch time so my perspective may be through rose-colored glasses. It seems like management is trying to curb the amount of crunch, though.
    -Lots of snacks in the kitchen but there could be more healthy options, more vegetables for the sandwiches as was stated in another review

-None really, I was only there as an intern over the summer....my experience talking to members of the management team in interviews and otherwise was really positive and the company-wide meetings seemed well run (though I don't have much life experience to compare it to)

Top notch internship program

Current Intern - Engineering Intern in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Intern - Engineering Intern in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Treyarch as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

I was an engineering intern last summer. Their internship program was relatively new (as of this writing), but they kept me preoccupied with events and swag. I have classmates who were interns at Blizzard and Microsoft, and our experiences were pretty similar, except my Treyarch jacket looks way cooler than the Blizzard or Microsoft jackets.

The atmosphere is pretty relaxed and driven. The team knows not only how to produce quality AAA games, but also how to take care of their developers.

Cons

Not really a con, but although there is lots of free food, there are no vegetables to balance my meals.

Passionate and rewarding environment.

Current Employee - Game Designer in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Game Designer in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Treyarch full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The entire atmosphere of the company is very friendly. Over the past 4 years I've developed many many great relationships with my colleagues, most of whom I would consider close friends at this point. From QA, to Management, to the Studio Head, they're all an amazing group to be able to work with.

I came on at the bottom of the ladder. Thankfully, my passion for the franchise got my foot into the door, and with hard work, a good attitude, and a yearning to continue to soak up knowledge I've been able to move into a design position. Directors, leads, etc definitely appreciate a passion for the product in their employees, whether it be through showing passion for your work or showing a passion for the game itself.

The production staff at Treyarch of course varies from member to member, but the ones I've worked with have been an integral part of the final product. With one of the most played games today, heavy focus on high polish, and a tight schedule, it's important that people are able to focus on creating the best game possible. Production provides that opportunity and keeps the machine well-oiled.

One of my favorite things about Treyarch employees are that they come from all backgrounds. If you design levels as a hobby and one day decide to try your hand at it professionally, Treyarch will absolutely hire you if you've got the chops. If you are an artist just out of school with no experience, yet you can create beautiful art, Treyarch will absolutely hire you. It's so great to see a company that is willing to "gamble" on someone without experience, whether it be fresh out of school or someone without a formal education in their set of skills. This also applies to the intern program, many of which are hired on full time after their internship and school is completed and have went on to become Senior level employees. On the flipside, there are many veterans of the industry working at Treyarch, who have shipped a ton of games and are the best in the business at what they do.

That brings me to the room for growth at Treyarch. I regularly see my colleagues rewarded for their hard work and amazing skills with promotions. We have many many high level employees who started in entry level positions. This shows by how everyone treats each other with respect, regardless of pay grade or stature. As mentioned before, Treyarch appreciates beautiful work first and foremost, and if you're willing to put the time in to learn a skill, they will give you the opportunity to make that skill your full time job. A great number of designers, artists, and producers were in another path at some point, and were either encouraged or took it upon themselves to learn their current craft.

Fun gatherings occur on occasion, whether it be our yearly holiday party (usually Vegas - paid for by company), a friends and family lunch outside with catered food, monthly cake for birthdays...I could go on. These are always a blast and much appreciated.

Overall, Treyarch is a passionate group of people, who work together, laugh together, cry together, and ship some of the best games the world has seen together.

Cons

Teams are fairly segregated, so it can be difficult to keep up with what the separate teams are working on.

Coordinate more social gatherings. Whether it's a party at the studio for a couple of hours , or company outings. I could see those things greatly improving the overall mood of the studio. It would also give us the chance to get to know other employees who we never have the chance to work with.

And keep up the great work!