Tri Star Engineering Reviews

Priya Wharton

1. Great Company.

Current Employee - Engineering Technician in Crane, IN
    Current Employee - Engineering Technician in Crane, IN

I have been working at Tri Star Engineering full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The leadership takes care of me, and different departments (HR, direct supervisor, Payroll, safety shoe reimbursement, etc) work very well together and address any concerns that I have. On the broader scope, the employee handbook will be clarified by HR for various concerns (inclement weather, paid time off) and offer the answer to the whole company so everyone is informed. During Furloughs, our CEO, took time to address the employees and try her best to give a word of encouragement for difficult times.

The co-workers are friendly, including the supervisors and boss.

The pay for my specific job is great, with years of experience, but zero college.

Cons

Pay periods can deposit almost a week later than the signed timesheet. It only affects personal budget, and is my only "con."

Also, I am a full time employee, but our company is contracted for work through the government. As one other reviewer noted, "Government contracting is tough business." Nothing personal or striking against the company itself, its just the nature of the beast.

Advice to Management

Thanks for the leadership!

2. Sr. Logistics Analyst

I worked at Tri Star Engineering full-time

Pros

In the beginning the 401k, Health insurance options with Aflac and others was good as well as an education re-imbursement for getting more training/education.

Cons

2014 they lost a couple of major Government contracts which meant they had to let a large portion of their contracted staff go.

Advice to Management

More interaction between the PM's and the individual employees would keep employees tuned into what is going on at the company level. Perhaps even bringing contractors in to headquarters once a year for a talk about what is going on.

3. loved my job, the other employee's where great to work with.

Former Employee - Engineering Technician in Crane, IN
    Former Employee - Engineering Technician in Crane, IN

I worked at Tri Star Engineering full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

All the other employee's where great, had a good time working together and still had our job done at the end of the day. The hours where perfect and it was a good paying job

Cons

I was always in meetings with other leads and managers from other departments which made it difficult at times to finish my job but always found away to get it accomplished

Advice to Management

none really it was a smooth operation

5. Rapidly Changing

Current Employee - Vice President Operations in Bedford, IN
    Current Employee - Vice President Operations in Bedford, IN

I have been working at Tri Star Engineering full-time (More than a year)

Pros

People are outstanding to work with

Cons

High turnover rate results in culture of uncertainty

6. It was a job. Nothing more nothing less.

I worked at Tri Star Engineering full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Provided opportunity for growth if you had the desire to achieve it.

Cons

Benefits were not that good. Very expensive compared to competitors. Management at headquarters needed to do more listening and less speaking. Very Bureaucratic.

Advice to Management

Find a new person to negotiate benefits packages.

7. Enjoyed the challenge of working with customers and managing a good team.

Former Employee - Program Manager in Bedford, IN
    Former Employee - Program Manager in Bedford, IN

I worked at Tri Star Engineering full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Every day brought a new set of challenges to work through. I had a great team of engineers, logisticans and technicians. Enjoyed working with peers and had a great mentor.

Cons

Government Contracting is a tough business. Many customer funding issues due to past Governement contracting problems. Company lacked business processes to help streamline operations. Serious need to update financial system that could provide data to run the business.

Advice to Management

Invest in your employees.

8. Potential for growth, competition with the "Big Boys" of the defense world, but small-minded management.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bedford, IN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bedford, IN

I worked at Tri Star Engineering full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good people to work with; good opportunities for advancement; employees' growth and development was appreciated and (usually) rewarded, but not supported. If you wanted to advance, it was up to you to figure out how and to acquire (and pay for) the necessary training, skills, certifications, etc.

Cons

Long hours, poor pay; unevenness of treatment of employees hurt morale; inability/refusal to invest in training/tools/salaries, etc., was preventing company from the company from moving forward.

Advice to Management

Show appreciation to your employees, especially if you are unable to improve compensation.

9. A Company Without a Clue

Former Employee - Systems Analyst in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Systems Analyst in Arlington, VA

I worked at Tri Star Engineering full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You get paid on-time. Management actually showed up one time; very briefly

Cons

Tri Star Engineering actually discriminates with their employees: my experience saw some 'special' employees, all who were working on the same contract, be allowed to telework / telecommute, while the rest of us had to go to the client site, day-in and day-out.
    The company HR didn't even apologize for this! They actually see no problem with allowing this blatant discrimination to occur.

Advice to Management

Open your eyes, and try to get a clue. You wonder why morale is so low? Because certain employees are treated differently!

10. My time with Tri Star was outstanding the only issue I had was they don't like to promote within.

Former Employee - Program Manager
    Former Employee - Program Manager

I worked at Tri Star Engineering full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good benfits, access to the President, rounded company. Ms. Wharton, President, cares about her employee's and is wlling to listen, one of those people that thinks before she act's.

Cons

Failure to promote from wthin to the higher positions. They will cut your salary if needed or let you go.

Advice to Management

Believe in your employees they are the ones building the company, promote from within for the higher positiions. Don't think they are out to take from the company.

11. Small woman-owned company, mainly stationing at client's site and rarely had any contact with headquarters and mgt.

Current Employee - Project Analyst in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Project Analyst in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Tri Star Engineering

Pros

Small company with little onsite management, and no adminstrative tasks and/or training. Pays ok.

Cons

No room for career advancement, work available based on contract awarded. No mentorship for employees.

Advice to Management

More management oversight for employees.