Tri-State Generation and Transmission

Tri-State Generation and Transmission Reviews

Updated Mar 25, 2014

Not yet rated.

Micheal McInnes

Tri-State is a great place to work.

Graphic Designer (Current Employee)
    Westminster, CO

ProsWork environment is excellent, everyone is very friendly and takes time to stop and say hi as you pass.

ConsEveryone has been here for a very long time. It's hard to fit in.

Advice to Senior ManagementDesigners should be paid top dollar. We make management look good to others.

Not the vibrant company it once was.

Technician (Current Employee)
    Westminster, CO

ProsEnergy company with predictably good expectations for steady employment, employees friendly, salaries somewhat reasonable, good benefits package, easy to access location, clean building in good repair, occasional employee events including picnics, wellness activities and celebrations, respect for military veterans.

ConsWildfire hiring with seemingly no direction, disparity in dept. budgeting resulting in ridiculous spending practices by some groups, broad disconnect between VPs + Sen Mgmt staff per expected goals and practices of their subordinates - resulting in lack of trust. The biggest fault I find is the 44 member REAs are being left in the dust (and I am a consumer/member of one of the largest of them along the Front Range). The co-ops' needs and support are no longer the top priority for this company and new managers at Tri-State are not fully appreciative of that fact. Tri-State is developing a "we know better for you than you do" attitude toward it's members, and that will come back to bite you.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou are not serving your members adequately, and you are not teaching the value to your subordinates that obligation and service to the membership is your priority. In addition, upper management is disorganized and doesn't meet goals it allegedly sets for itself, but expects those in the lower ranks to still meet theirs come hell or high water. Your own bar is set too low and you don't follow through.

Less than great in the area of customer service

Public Relations (Current Employee)
    Westminster, CO

ProsProfessional and experienced workforce, decent promotion opportunities. Financially stable organization that has grown significantly and prospered over its 61-year history.

ConsPoor communications at the upper management levels. With 44 board members it is often difficult to arrive at a consensus.

Advice to Senior Managementcommunicate and educate your members and be more responsive to their needs.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Too Bad Management is so Blind

Finance (Former Employee)
    Westminster, CO

ProsGreat place to work if you just want a job, not a career and to surf Facebook all day long. I worked at TS for over 10 years and found several (not a majority) of the people were there to get a retirement. They will put in more effort to get out of work than to just do it. I bet the internet band width at TS is primarily used up for facebook surfing. Nice people there, but, ugh, some are the most useless I've ever worked with... yes many of those are in management. Again good place to work for just a paycheck.

ConsThe majority of people there are great folks. However, due to poor management, many are left frustrated and have lost their drive, only to give up and slow their work to a crawl. Management is blind not to see this. FYI, I was very frustrated, ie: put into place some money saving procedures and automated several internal reports only to find arguments on what report should have three holes punched in them. Ugh, I could go on, but I won't bore all of you. Did work at a Distribution REA, a member of TS. Wow, they don't like TS at all!

Advice to Senior ManagementNone to give, they will not listen. While there people labeled management as RIP, "Retirement in Process". We found this to be incorrect, it is "Retirement in Place"

Overall, a good company to work for.

ProsFlexible work schedule
    Great benefits
    Low turnover

ConsLow employee moral
    Little communication between departments
    Salaries are somewhat low

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunication is key to make sure everyone is working towards the same goals.

Top Heavy; Stable; Traditional

Westminster, CO

ProsStable - energy company is a good stable, 40ish hour/ week job.
    Compensation is good.

ConsTraditional - no flex time, no tele-commuting
    Top heavy - managers, managers, managers everywhere. Plenty of discussion, but not enough workers to carry out the often contradictory directives.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrust your people to do their job and know what their stuff, without trust you will keep losing good employees.

Stable place to work

ProsThe salary is competitive and the benefits are fair. There is a defined retirement plan which is hard to come by these days. There is education reimbursement to encourage further skills.

ConsThere is not enough encouragement towards initiative. Project planning and follow through is lacking. For many, there is too much of an old boys network.

Advice to Senior ManagementToo top down.

Review From a Current Employee-I Love It Here!

Operations (Current Employee)
    Westminster, CO

ProsI have been working here for 20 years and I have loved it every day. Tri-State has been a great place to have a career. I get a great salary, the industry has always been stable, my co-workers are great and I get excellent benefits. I have also had a lot of opportunity for advancement. In fact, Tri-State paid 100% for me to get my Masters Degree. They have also paid for me to go to multiple training classes.

Since the HR department has been a complaint on here, I know the department just got a new Senior Manager. My boss said that HR is starting to implement a lot of new technology and upgrade many processes. Too bad a lot of these people writing reviews aren't around to see it. I bet things will start changing for the better.

I work in a great department with a good manager so I can't complain. Like any workplace there are some good managers and some bad ones. From my understanding, a program is being created to better train managers. My manager is a good guy that always understands work/home balance.

ConsThe building is getting pretty outdated in a few parts. I would suggest some remodeling done.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf employees are having difficulties with management, get those employees some assistance. Also the managers might need more training.

360 Degree Appraisal / Review Process - Heck No, Not Here!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Westminster, CO

ProsSince this is an energy company, employment is secure. The benefits are good. Overall, co-workers are friendly and easy to work with.

ConsThe good old boys' management style is alive and well at Tri-State. There are only one or two females in top management level positions. Top management does not ask for input from the senior managers or from the employees doing the work.

The HR Department needs a complete make over. The department is out dated in their thinking and procedures. For example: they do not provide an 'Anonymous Suggestion Box' nor do they use a 360 degree appraisal / review process. Unfortunately, employees do not enjoy the benefit and balance that a 360 degree process would provide. Employees should be allowed and encouraged to seek anonymous input from their co-workers, inside and outside customers. Appraisals / reviews from one's manager can be extremely baised leaving the employee nowhere to turn. God help you if you don't see 'eye to eye' with your manager.

HR should be training their supervisors to be good managers. All managers should be on the same page with regard to being flexible, etc. My manager had absolutely no 'people skills', no complements, no flexibility. My manager was always right and I was always wrong. As an employee, I never felt appreciated or valued. Team building does not exist.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure the HR Department is up with the times - using the newest and best - thinking and procedures. The current depoartment leavres much to be desired.

If mediochity is your goal this is the place to work.

Westminster, CO

ProsThis is a stable industry hence you have relative job security. Salaries and benefits are competitive.
    There is a very good continuing education program for job related degrees.

ConsAutocratic, old school, good old boys. New ideas are not solicited nor appreciated. This is a job that does not offer much personal satisfaction, simply a check at the end of the week.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement should look at the high turn over of the newer employees and ask what is going on here. Simply being one of the good old boys (literally) does not cut it.

Worked for Tri-State Generation and Transmission? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Tri-State Generation and Transmission reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Tri-State Generation and Transmission CEO Micheal McInnes. All 14 reviews posted anonymously by Tri-State Generation and Transmission employees.