Tri-State Generation and Transmission

Updated July 24, 2014
Updated July 24, 2014
3.3

Michael McInnes

Great company to work for

Current Employee - Electrical Engineer  in  Westminster, CO
    Current Employee - Electrical Engineer in Westminster, CO

I have been working at Tri-State Generation and Transmission full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great group of people to work with, I regularly work with multiple departments a day, and they're always helpful and get back to you asap with whatever is needed.

Awesome workplace atmosphere. Not too stressful, but not too laid-back. Keeps you the perfect amount of busy (at least in my eyes). My managers have been very easy to talk to with any issues that arise and have been very flexible. You're not expected to work over your 40 hours and it's easy to leave your work at the office.

Competitive salary for someone coming out of college, was a little bit above average salary for my major from my school. Good benefits. They don't contribute much to 401(k), but they have an awesome pension/retirement plan which more than makes up for it.

I have seen a lot people being able to move from one department to another within the company, so if you'd like to try something new 5 years down the road or so and there's a position open, it's possible. A lot of the "old guard" or "old boys" are retiring, so there are a lot of new, fresh faces and ideas and enthusiasm coming in the doors.

Cons

Not much company morale, but seems to be changing. It would be nice to start off with some vacation days instead of having to start with 0 and accrue hours per paycheck (at least that was what happened with me).

Put together some company sponsored sports teams, like softball. Could bump up company morale.

Tri-State is going places!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Westminster, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Westminster, CO

Pros

There are great benefits (medical, dental, vision) but also Tri-State contributes to my 401K and my pension plan. It's hard to find employers who do that anymore. I have worked at Tri-State for 3 years and I am seeing so much improvement from when I started. In the last year a new department called Organizational Development was created with the mission of improving the organization. They have been great with updating policies and practices. Also they are helping make Tri-State more competitive with other organizations. I can't wait to see where this company is at in 5 years!

Cons

There are some employees who have worked at Tri-State for 20 years +. While this is good because it shows people love working here, sometimes they can be stuck in their ways. Being a younger employee it has been an obstacle convincing some employees that processes can be improved from 10 years ago. Like I mentioned in my Pro's I believe the organization is already showing large improvements by hiring employees who are open to change.

It seems like it used to be about promoting the person who was here the longest into management. Now I can tell a difference with the new management training programs and the leadership development training. Tri-State is starting to select the best people for management not who has been here the longest. Keep it up!

A flexible positive work environment

Current Employee - Engineer  in  Westminster, CO
    Current Employee - Engineer in Westminster, CO

Pros

401(k), pension plan (don't see that anymore!), education reimbursement, friendly people all around. I really like the amount of travel that you can do (depending on job position) and the chance to get in the field. Your computer and company cell phone (job dependant) are all brand new and are replaced every couple years, plus expensive software like CADD and such is available to use, and it's the newest version not a 10 year old version like at a previous job.

Cons

Wish they had 4-10's for the people working at HQ, would make work 10X better

Please allow 4-10's!

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Tri-State is a great place to work.

Current Employee - Graphic Designer  in  Westminster, CO
    Current Employee - Graphic Designer in Westminster, CO

I have been working at Tri-State Generation and Transmission as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Work environment is excellent, everyone is very friendly and takes time to stop and say hi as you pass.

Cons

Everyone has been here for a very long time. It's hard to fit in.

Designers should be paid top dollar. We make management look good to others.

Not the vibrant company it once was.

Current Employee - Technician  in  Westminster, CO
    Current Employee - Technician in Westminster, CO

I have been working at Tri-State Generation and Transmission full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Energy company with predictably good expectations for steady employment, employees friendly, salaries somewhat reasonable, good benefits package, easy to access location, clean building in good repair, occasional employee events including picnics, wellness activities and celebrations, respect for military veterans.

Cons

Wildfire hiring with seemingly no direction, disparity in dept. budgeting resulting in ridiculous spending practices by some groups, broad disconnect between VPs + Sen Mgmt staff per expected goals and practices of their subordinates - resulting in lack of trust. The biggest fault I find is the 44 member REAs are being left in the dust (and I am a consumer/member of one of the largest of them along the Front Range). The co-ops' needs and support are no longer the top priority for this company and new managers at Tri-State are not fully appreciative of that fact. Tri-State is developing a "we know better for you than you do" attitude toward it's members, and that will come back to bite you.

You are not serving your members adequately, and you are not teaching the value to your subordinates that obligation and service to the membership is your priority. In addition, upper management is disorganized and doesn't meet goals it allegedly sets for itself, but expects those in the lower ranks to still meet theirs come hell or high water. Your own bar is set too low and you don't follow through.

Less than great in the area of customer service

Current Employee - Public Relations  in  Westminster, CO
    Current Employee - Public Relations in Westminster, CO

Pros

Professional and experienced workforce, decent promotion opportunities. Financially stable organization that has grown significantly and prospered over its 61-year history.

Cons

Poor communications at the upper management levels. With 44 board members it is often difficult to arrive at a consensus.

communicate and educate your members and be more responsive to their needs.

Overall, a good company to work for.

I have been working at Tri-State Generation and Transmission full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Flexible work schedule
    Great benefits
    Low turnover

Cons

Low employee moral
    Little communication between departments
    Salaries are somewhat low

Communication is key to make sure everyone is working towards the same goals.

Too Bad Management is so Blind

Former Employee - Finance  in  Westminster, CO
    Former Employee - Finance in Westminster, CO

I worked at Tri-State Generation and Transmission full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great place to work if you just want a job, not a career and to surf Facebook all day long. I worked at TS for over 10 years and found several (not a majority) of the people were there to get a retirement. They will put in more effort to get out of work than to just do it. I bet the internet band width at TS is primarily used up for facebook surfing. Nice people there, but, ugh, some are the most useless I've ever worked with... yes many of those are in management. Again good place to work for just a paycheck.

Cons

The majority of people there are great folks. However, due to poor management, many are left frustrated and have lost their drive, only to give up and slow their work to a crawl. Management is blind not to see this. FYI, I was very frustrated, ie: put into place some money saving procedures and automated several internal reports only to find arguments on what report should have three holes punched in them. Ugh, I could go on, but I won't bore all of you. Did work at a Distribution REA, a member of TS. Wow, they don't like TS at all!

None to give, they will not listen. While there people labeled management as RIP, "Retirement in Process". We found this to be incorrect, it is "Retirement in Place"

Top Heavy; Stable; Traditional

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Westminster, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Westminster, CO

I have been working at Tri-State Generation and Transmission full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Stable - energy company is a good stable, 40ish hour/ week job.
    Compensation is good.

Cons

Traditional - no flex time, no tele-commuting
    Top heavy - managers, managers, managers everywhere. Plenty of discussion, but not enough workers to carry out the often contradictory directives.

Trust your people to do their job and know what their stuff, without trust you will keep losing good employees.

Stable place to work

Pros

The salary is competitive and the benefits are fair. There is a defined retirement plan which is hard to come by these days. There is education reimbursement to encourage further skills.

Cons

There is not enough encouragement towards initiative. Project planning and follow through is lacking. For many, there is too much of an old boys network.

Too top down.

Tri-State Generation and Transmission Photos

Worked for Tri-State Generation and Transmission? Contribute to the Community!