TriNet Group

Updated December 22, 2014
3.3

TriNet Group President, CEO, and Director Burton M. Goldfield
Burton M. Goldfield

Pros
  • Good benefits, competitive compensation package (in 5 reviews)

• The company is growing rapidly and you need to be able to adapt to a lot of change (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • They could care less if we make money, if we have work-life balance, if we want to establish a career with the company, etc (in 4 reviews)

• Lack of opportunities to move upward or horizontal, long hours and too many clients, no work-life balance unless you are at a higher level (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Sales Development Review

Current Employee - Sales Development Representative in Sarasota, FL
    Current Employee - Sales Development Representative in Sarasota, FL

I have been working at TriNet Group

Pros

I enjoy the people that I work with - more than that I communication with my direct managers is easy - they are also great leaders. Specifically for my position, the lead-gen is phenomenal.

Cons

With any company, there are little things that you may not like. I have not found many of those here at TriNet.

Trinet has provided me with the most challenging and rewarding position I have had in my career.

Current Employee - Inside Sales Consultant in Lakewood Ranch, FL
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Consultant in Lakewood Ranch, FL

I have been working at TriNet Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

You are rewarded very well for achieving and exceeding company goals and quotas. Great team environment, colleagues willing to help you, often times selflessly. Fun departments and events. Great room for growth

Cons

It can be stressful. Hard work. Long hours. But the challenges help to refine you, personally and professionally, at least they did for me.

Continue to encourage stretch goals, recognize potential and provide the incentives to keep people motivated.

No Place I'd Rather Be

Current Employee - Sales Development Representative in Bradenton, FL
    Current Employee - Sales Development Representative in Bradenton, FL

I have been working at TriNet Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The culture at TriNet allows and encourages employees to meet their potential while maintaining a great work/life balance. I like the team I work with and my management team is very supportive.

Cons

My major issue with TriNet is a lack of Red Bull. Red Bull is the life blood of a sales team and I feel it should be raining from the skies. (not literally of course, that'd make a mess)

More Red Bull

Career Path and Development

Current Employee - Director of Sales
    Current Employee - Director of Sales

I have been working at TriNet Group full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

-Strong Leadership
    -Definite career path
    -Fast, stable growth

Cons

-Consistently asked to do more with less

A great place to work

Current Employee - Management in San Leandro, CA
    Current Employee - Management in San Leandro, CA

I have been working at TriNet Group full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I've worked at TriNet for years in a variety of roles. It is the best company I have worked for in my career. The company has a clear vision for the future. The best part of what we do is that we serve the engine for economic growth for America -- small business.

Cons

TriNet is an intense and demanding environment. If you want work life balance you have to carve that time out very intentionally.

Keep communicating the vision of the company.

Dec 15, 2014Public Relations

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review! We appreciate all that you do at TriNet!

Don't leave your current position chasing what appears to be a dream job....

Current Employee - Professional Employer Consultant
    Current Employee - Professional Employer Consultant

I have been working at TriNet Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great employee benefits and technology.

Cons

A lot of turnover with new employees. They are enticed with decent salaries and a sign on bonus of $9k. Looks attractive but you must generate your own leads. Slow sales cycle and commission structure is horrible for PECs. You don't get your full commission upfront. It's divided into equal payments for 1 year. The company recently implemented a mentor/mentee program. Your first 5 deals must be split with a mentor.

Unrealistic expectations your first year (almost unattainable). This position is treated as a payroll sales position. Therefore, information entered into the CRM (SalesForce) is inaccurate and garbage. The weekly metrics are 5 FM (first meetings). To get off the radar folks enter bad leads into the CRM. Garbage in then garbage out. Get the picture?

Micromanagement does not work. This is an outside sales position but treated as inside sales. Keeping your employees in the office with meetings 3 to 4 times a week is not productive. Other companies want their reps in the field, building relationships with trusted advisors, etc. Holding 8-9am meeting each morning is not productive. A rep leaves the office at 9:30am then has 30 minute commute to visit a prospect or foot prospect in field now only has 1- 1.5 hour because it's now lunch time. From 11-1pm it's hit or miss. Waste of the day/week. Most sales people have type A personality and micromanaging doesn't help.

Evaluate new RSCs & PECs by length of employment and establish realistic metrics for them. One that is attainable and gives hope they be successful in this business People are not completely committed because their doesn't seem to be any job stability.

The Client Services Reps need to be compensated more. They look very homely when the go out into the field to meet with our customers. Their clothes look cheap and we are trying to sell a high end product. Be mindful of the employees you hire (tattoos, colored hair, etc).

Get iPads for the sales staff. Who wants to carry a bulky Lenovo laptop to a client site. Our competitors give iPads to their sales staff? Invest in software to help reps to create a bread route while out in the field.

Track progress every other week to alleviate pressure from sales staff which carries over during proposal meetings (desperation).

Finally read the comments on Glassdoor and institute change for the new year. This could be a great company. What are you doing with the feedback? TriNet is now public and this kind of feedback is not good. This was a very fair review!

Survey Says...Not a great place to work!

Former Employee - Finance in San Leandro, CA
    Former Employee - Finance in San Leandro, CA

I worked at TriNet Group

Pros

It’s a good place to work if you are in Sales or a friend/minion of the higher ups in the Sales department, or both. RSCs have a base salary of at least $80k and guaranteed commissions/draws for the first few months in addition to annual bonuses and other bonuses throughout the year. Depending on whom you know, RSCs can even get their annual bonus when they don’t even come close to attaining it. Regional VPs of Sales have base salaries of $250k or so with tens of thousands of dollars in guaranteed commissions for the first couple of months, very large annual bonuses and get tens of thousands of company shares. The company puts all its focus on the Sales department and treats them as if they are the only ones in the company that matter. So, if you are a sales professional or in a position of Director or above this is a great place to be, at least long enough to get your guaranteed money and company shares and then bail.

Cons

This is the most top heavy company I have ever worked for and I have been in the workforce for a long time and worked for many different companies. For a company with less than 2,000 employees you have your typical CEO, CIO, CFO, but there is also a CAO, VPs galore – lots of them in sales and basically every other department has one. And in addition to that, every department has a director – or several like finance, and then you have the managers, followed by the people who actually do the work. TriNot to be fooled by the positive reviews and HR’s canned responses that say the company cares about its employees because it doesn’t, at least not the ones who actually do the work. All Burton (the CEO) does is talk the talk and try to make everyone feel like they are important. For example, when the company was going public and there was an all hands employee meeting to discuss it, Burton got on his soap box and thanked everyone for their hard work, said the company couldn’t have done it without each and every one of you, blah, blah, blah. Well, here is what the company does to reward you for your hard work: you get a nice colorful ribbon for every year of service (aka slavery) and once you’ve been with the company for ten years you get a $200 gift card and another one EVERY TEN YEARS AFTER THAT! Talk about generous! But, if you are in a position of Director or above you automatically got lots of company shares when the company went public. Even if you are a new director, part of your offer consists of tens of thousands of company shares, and all before you’ve even had to prove yourself! (The last two sentences are "pros" for the Directors but since I’m talking about the worker bees I’ve put it in the “cons”). While the people who actually do the work and have been there for 10-15+ years working hard get nothing except free food the first Wednesday of the month and on their anniversaries. Then when they decide they don’t want or need you anymore but don’t really have a good reason to fire you, they send you to the commissions department because somehow someone in that department always convinces everyone that they are so busy and so important and constantly need more people. The truth is someone has just gotten tired of actually having to work more than a few hours a day for more than three or four days a week. Don’t ever take a temp assignment for this department either because you’re only brought in so someone has extra people to dump a bunch of work on as they walk out the door. If you ask questions that a particular individual can’t answer or show that you are smarter and/or more educated than this person is, (which you probably are because they only have an AA degree) you will be shown the door, which is really a good thing so consider it a blessing. The only person that stays in that department is the one that actually knows and does all the work while someone else gets all the pay and credit; another example of not what you know but who you know.

And to think Burton’s grand five year plan consists of having one million work site employees (WSE) and 6,000 TriNet employees when they can’t even keep the ones they have happy. The other reviews are right about there not being a good work/life balance and being overworked. It’s been a complaint for years and HR always responds with “we hear you” but does nothing, which makes participating in the Great Place to Work Survey useless. HR is non-responsive to any issues you bring up despite what the canned responses to reviews on here might say. Even if its and ethical issue like say making financial numbers look good or agree with someone else’s report so no questions are asked. The response you get from HR is “interesting” or “I see”. If they don’t care about financial and data integrity they’re not going to give a rat’s you know what about anything. HR’s excuse is always “we’re experiencing tremendous growth” or “we’re experiencing a lot of growing pains right now”. Ethic Point is a joke too. All you’ll get out of that is a list of action items to be addressed by the managers involved and the time frame they need to be completed but the plan is never executed and things go back to the way they were.

Start by cutting all the fat off the top of the organization and hire more people that actually do the work so your employees can have a better work/life balance. Save the typical canned response HR gives everyone on here. The company didn’t care then and the company doesn’t care now. You’re only on here responding to reviews trying to do damage control.

Not bad

Former Employee - Temp in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Temp in Charlotte, NC

I worked at TriNet Group part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Benefits were very very nice

Cons

Way too much Office Politics

Company is a COMPLETE CLUSTER

Former Employee - Human Capital Consultant
    Former Employee - Human Capital Consultant

I worked at TriNet Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Working with clients and providing them with the HR expertise and advice they need - when time actually permits

Cons

As the title states this organization is a complete CLUSTER. It really is a shame because the company makes money in spite of itself and the poor clients are none the wiser. If they knew the amount or lack there of actual thought that goes into the services that are presented to them they would be highly disappointed and probably pretty upset to know they are wasting their money and all the company is concerned about is them purchasing additional products! Also the level of the experience of the staff does not raise itself up to the standard of being considered consultants. If this is your first or second job out of school or you have moved around internally with no outside corporate experience you are not at CONSULTANT level. What good is having “certifications” (CPP, PHR, etc) of any sort if you cannot answer a basic client question when they are in need. There is no accountability within in a various departments - no one wants to assume being responsible which in turns wastes for clients and causes them to question the competence of the individuals they are dealing with.

The Human Capital Consultant role is a complete joke. If you are looking to be a true Human Resources Consultant please do not apply for this role you will be highly disappointed. This role is focused on account management with a little bit of HR thrown in here and there because ultimately the clients do need you and look to you for that but the organization does not provide the appropriate setup or supporting team to allow this to happen consistently as it should. Here’s an example, why would you have a HR person contact a client to tell them they are behind in paying their invoice and if they do not pay they will be terminated. Where does that make sense for that to be a duty of a HR consultant? No where but since they company line is "The HCC is the face of the organization" it is justified. Completely absurd. The current HCC attrition rate speaks volumes to the amount of disatification with role, metrics and opportunities- several significant markets are currently experiencing high turnover - CA, FL, GA and NY. More turnover is certain to come. If it does not it is only because the individuals have gotten too comfortable to do anything else at this point in their careers or they really are just drenched in the TriNet Kool-Aid. There is little to no engagement from an overall team perspective.

I question if Burton really knows and understands the ridiculously poor services that is provided to customers from a client service perspective as well as the lack of process and expertise to really make the services worthwhile. I would almost like to think that he cannot know because if he did I don’t think he would tout the services out as much “the street” with his his tv appearances and would focus on making sure the organization is focused and truly P.O.I.S.E.D for growth and to be of service to clients. CS leadership team - please come down from the ivory tower. You are too high up to even begin to know the realities of your team members on a day to day basis. Plus you need to get leaders that understand both the power or leadership and management. The current level of leadership you have is non-existent. It is simply individuals who have been around/in the organization or from Gevity or other PEOs who have tenure only in time but no further depth. Additionally, if more time was spent actually focusing on the things that matter and really being concerned about making the roles within the group successfully function there would probably be significant increase in productivity, employee satisfaction which would lead to your ultimate goal and focus - client retention. Until you truly decide to make your employees the priority the constant state of chaos which results in pretty negligent service will continue….

There are several comments already posted that summarize a lot of my points within the department as well as organization wide.
    The organization really should look into getting it together so the can meet the goals they are striving for and with colleagues who actually care and want to do right for the organization and the clients.

Dec 4, 2014Public Relations

Thank you for your comments. We are very interested in discussing these points with you directly. Can you please contact our HR department Meredith Johnson, VP of Human Resources here ... More

Really good company

Current Employee - Human Capital Consultant in Reno, NV
    Current Employee - Human Capital Consultant in Reno, NV

I have been working at TriNet Group full-time (less than an year)

Pros

1st Wednesday of the month food, they care for non-profits and make donations, free fitbits to promote health, anniversary luncheons, and generous health benefits contributions

Cons

Promotions appear to be heavily based upon seniority rather than ability. This results in occasion that the wrong person, or people with terrible management ability become managers.

Dec 10, 2014Public Relations

Thank you for taking the time to provide us feedback!