TriNet Group

Updated January 29, 2015
3.4

TriNet Group President, CEO, and Director Burton M. Goldfield
Burton M. Goldfield

Pros
  • Good benefits, competitive compensation package (in 5 reviews)

• The company is growing rapidly and you need to be able to adapt to a lot of change (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • They could care less if we make money, if we have work-life balance, if we want to establish a career with the company, etc (in 4 reviews)

• Lack of opportunities to move upward or horizontal, long hours and too many clients, no work-life balance unless you are at a higher level (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

"Challenging, Rewarding and Long-Term"

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Bradenton, FL
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Bradenton, FL

I have been working at TriNet Group

Pros

I have been in the sales department at TriNet for over a year now. During my time I have been well compensated, provided generous benefits and challenged to develop my skill-set. The complex nature of TriNet's services and products force you to really understand your client's needs and find ways to solve them. The training was top-notch and the ongoing education is a top-priority. The company is growing fast, the opportunities to advance are plentiful and I plan to make a career here.

Cons

Current Facilities/Cafeteria: Looking forward to the new "Startup Workspace" renovations that are scheduled to be completed by the end of 2015.

Keep evolving, keep striving to improve and keep challenging your people to improve themselves.

Client Services Associate (Ambrose)

Current Employee - Client Services Associate
    Current Employee - Client Services Associate

I have been working at TriNet Group full-time

Pros

- Compensation
    - Benefits
    - You will get to work with great people (for the most part)
    - PTO/Holiday policy is generous

Cons

- Work-life balance is sometimes non-existent
    - PTO black-out period during X-Mas and New Years
    - Completely reactionary in its approach
    - Lack of growth opportunities

CSAs on the Ambrose side are given extremely high headcounts considering that we are to provide "white-glove" service to both client contacts and the WSEs (unlike the other TriNet brands, Ambrose CSAs are the main point of contact for everyone at their client sites). The expected response time of 4 business hours is extremely stressful considering the sheer volume of emails that are received on a daily basis. The fact that the internal support system is spotty at best at times it makes for sheer hell - depending on the department you are working with on a resolution to a client/employee issue. The tension throughout our department is palpable.

Internally, Ambrose is a hot mess at the moment. All focus is on the upcoming integration into TriNet's systems (which has now been going on for over 1.5 years), with no attention being given to our awful legacy system. How can I be expected to deliver great service when 25% of my day is dedicated to trying to figure out why people can't log in, print a pay stub, access their I-9s - simple stuff that should not be my responsibility. New hires are thrown into the mix without proper training, which has resulted in a terrible turn-over rate. Honestly its a vicious cycle at this point with Ambrose just replacing people who are leaving.

Be prepared for a heavily reactionary environment. Procedures are constantly changing, but no one is on the same page. We are also not told about new items until just before they are implemented or when, surprise!, it is already a thing. On top of that, be prepared for no one to be able to answer questions you may have about these changes a lot of the time.

As I mentioned under the "Pros" you will have a nice compensation/benefits package, at least for me this is true, but be prepared to have 0 opportunities for growth. The only ways to advance within the Client Services department at Ambrose are to become a Team Lead or a Specialist, both of which are not expected to open up until at least post-integration (meaning there are no plans to open anything up). Specialist roles are a joke at best at this point and now involve you taking on even more clients. When these roles do open up, you'll have basically the whole department to compete with, so good luck!

My experience with TriNet as a whole is limited since Ambrose is still kind of its own entity, but they are 110% focused on growth with no real direction for doing so. Sales are definitely the most important thing here so everything is done to make sure to close those deals with no thought about whether or not clients will actually be a good fit. Let me tell you that it makes for awkward (mostly really unpleasant) conversations when you start the new client on-boarding process as sometimes things have been "promised" that are not actually in line with what we do/can do. TriNet seems to overlook that while new clients are nice, it is the existing clients who are happy (thanks to CSAs) who will bring long-term success and referrals.

You will get to work with mainly wonderful people, but that being said, any real concerns that you bring to the table will go no where. Management (not the Team Leads, but they are essentially powerless) is seriously out of touch with the CSA experience and are doing nothing to improve retention. Simply throwing money at a group of intelligent people is not going to cut it, folks.

Before you focus on growth, make sure that your systems can actually support it.

Actually take the time to see what your front line employees have to deal with and keep this in mind when making decisions.

This is a Terrible Company

I worked at TriNet Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

If you like working in a crime infested area for a company whose motto should be "CYA above all else" and "We Screw our Employees Out of What They Earn" then this is the company for you.

Cons

The people running this company are not ethical people. They believe in perception and self interest, not actually running a good company. Now that they are a public company, senior managements' behavior is even more erratic.

Smart, Honest people don't need the advice they need, and dishonest, arrogant jerks won't hear it anyway.

Uphill Battle

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at TriNet Group full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I worked for an organization under the TriNet umbrella, Break the Cycle. The people that work there are great. They have the best intentions, and all truly believe in the work that they're doing. The passion is real.

Cons

There was an Executive Director who decided to up and leave the organization, which put a lot of things into a downward spiral. The passion is there, but it's hard to work when you're always asking questions.

A new year, a new leaf perhaps?

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at TriNet Group full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

There's no denying that TriNet gives back to the communities where they have a sizable presence.
    I'm going to a tropical location, all expenses paid, and should come back with a nice tan for smashing quota!
    Our customer service managers are TOP NOTCH. If it weren't for them, retention would be extremely horrid!
    Caffeine is supplied, major bonus to me.
    Stock options if you qualify!
    Did I mention the tan?

Cons

I may be getting a nice tan, but I know for a fact our service teams DESERVE something on par!
    Inter-brand squabbles - fighting over who is in charge of what opportunity or SIC code. Same team right?
    Everyone seems so concerned about pecking order. Let's worry about our company values and clients!
    We had great sales leads on competitors clients at one time, and those tenured sales mgrs who were connected or smart (or tipped off in advance that they were going away, albeit temporarily) made many copies and distributed to staff like I did. I give these to newbies who are getting frustrated, and as rewards. Bad leads now: correction horrible leads now.
    Underwriting isn't as aggressive as it used to be.
    For a tech company, we need bleeding edge work tools. Our antiquated tools don't cut it anymore.

Advice to myself (regional)? I could use a dose of humility at times and I think we ALL can. What would I advise executive management? To invest invest invest in LONG TERM morale lifters with an emphasis on the ops side. I am very appreciative of my health commissions and trips, but my service folks languish in long hours with almost laughable compensation packages. I let some of my folks go home early of Fridays, but I hear horror stories in other offices in the same city. TriNet is not my life. I am very fortunate to have this job however. We used to be feared as the rising star in the PEO world after the acquisitions and mergers. I have to say that the luster has dimmed slightly but not to the point we don't still shine! I believe I've said everything in a constructive fashion. I'll even be the change agent. A new year. A new leaf.

Handing out Performance Improvement Plans like chewing gum. Not one sales team member is close to goal.

Current Employee - Regional Sales Consultant in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Regional Sales Consultant in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at TriNet Group full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The Performance Improvement Plan is given to hard working sales professionals that have given their all, but cannot overcome poor customer reviews, over the top pricing, and the "rep of the month" mindset TriNet is known for. Some clients are asking if the sales consultant seated in front of them will be around in a few months.

Cons

The managers are not helping overcome client objections. The sales consultants who are "tenured" are around for less than 12 months. This is a long sales cycle. When will upper management realize that firing and hiring is viewed by clients as an unprofessional red flag.

If management only knew how far off their pricing is compared to competitors, they would understand why sales consultants are not achieving quota.

Great place to work

I have been working at TriNet Group

Pros

Excellent benefit package, opportunities for advancement

Cons

Can be very demanding, guidelines can be communicated more thorough

Quiet

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Leandro, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Leandro, CA

I worked at TriNet Group as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

The people on assignment with me were very nice as was my interviewer/hiring manager.

Cons

As a contractor, I felt no regular/permanent employees outside of the contractors wanted anything to do with me/us.

Consider hiring contractors/temps on who do well for you on assignment.

Great Place to Work!

I have been working at TriNet Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

TriNet has a great culture and great leaders. There are many avenues for employees to advance within the company and relocate if desired.

Cons

There is a lack in organization with some of management.

I work at a company which is part of Trinet's network of companies.

I have been working at TriNet Group

Pros

The company I work for is small, and has a very relaxed environment. I work with others who are very knowledgeable about the field we are in. Greatk work-life balance

Cons

Not too many cons. The only con would be that there isn't much room for growth.And the managers aren't too involved with managing meaning someone may get bigger workloads while others slackoff