TriQuint

TriQuint Reviews

Updated Jul 22, 2014

TriQuint President & CEO Ralph Quinsey

Ralph Quinsey

Pros
  • Excellent work life balance in general(in 5 reviews)

• good working environment, good people(in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management has allowed to a great company to plummet(in 5 reviews)

GOOD PLACE TO WORK

Prossalary,benefits,management,career advance, education assistance,time-oof,sabbatical etc. are very competitive.

ConsThere is greater uncertainty of semiconductor jobs,

Decent company in a growth-less industry

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Richardson, TX

ProsDecent pay, fairly good work-life balance.

ConsTop people are high C or low B at best. No options to grow career.

Texas Business Unit

Technician (Former Employee) Richardson, TX

ProsBenefits included Sabbatical Leave for older employees. Communication with engineering support staff was normally pretty good.

ConsIT department didn't necessarily communicate that well about upgrades or modifications of local business unit's MAN. IT would change procedures (ref: repairs) and not communicate that either.

Advice to Senior ManagementTexas business unit probably could have benefitted from getting one or two Technical Writers onboard to help Test Engineering Department keep up with Shop Process changes.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I have a blast time 19 years working there.

Prod Operator Lead/Information Systems Tech (Former Employee) Hillsboro, OR

ProsI've worked with awesome guys small team of systems analysis, supported other engineering and production teams. The guys I've worked with were very supported with family emergency and open to job training opportunities. When my dad was sick and was diagnose at severe stage of cancer, I had to be on call 24/7 for family emergency my working hours were allowed to be flexible. The best areas to work is Final Test and Engineering.

ConsIn an operator view, Fab production managements play too many politics games, is power trip and pick favoritism. They are not supportive and the people culture environment is to tense. They do not give the operators the empowerments and the flexibility to become more of a team player. They tend to over us COMMAND and CONTROL leadership styles.

Advice to Senior ManagementFab management leadership style "COMMAND and CONTROL" is the old legacy. They should give their operators the empowerment to work more freely and soon the output results you need will be at your dream.
    Fab management should learn the leadership style with Final Test management.

The Florida fab is an island (hopefully it sinks sooner rather than later for TQ and RFMD). Don't go there!!

Equipment Tech (Former Employee) Apopka, FL

ProsAverage pay and benefits. If you have to live in or are ok with Florida, it might work if you lower your standards. They don't sweat training, safety, protocol, cleanliness, 5s, organization, pass downs, or good documentation. Wait, maybe these are cons! You will find some decent people but they unfortunately were not in my immediate work area.

ConsIt's not a real fab; 4 inch wafers. You find yourself stuck in the early 1990's. One story and not the normal three stories of a real, world class fab. A few tools are somewhat modern but you're mostly stuck in last century. Biggest problem is people. The equipment "technicians" are mostly former operators or process techs would lack the pedigree of a real tech that can truly diagnose and fix problems. Fortunately for them there is heavy reliance on a couple equipment vendors; problem being that they aren't so sharp either. They sure think highly of themselves though. The "engineers" might be decent techs at a real fab; key word there is "might". The poor engineer has to have his hand in every pie since he has to compensate for lack of quality technicians....ie do not think for yourself and check with him for any decision, action plan, or anything. They are not used to having new people come on board; you will not be warmly welcomed or given good training or orientation. Those folks are too busy web surfing, talking about their weekend, etc. Technicians sit in and are part of the interview process of prospective techs, engineers, and even managers. Since many have never been in a real fab, they are clueless on asking proper and relevant questions. And it emboldens them & makes them feel important. Needless to say, only locals or people looking to escape a different TriQuint fab are going there. And there is the good 'ol boy system. A PhD working for a guy lacking a 4 year degree simply due to that guy knowing someone up the chain somewhere. That "guy" is making some bad decisions and of course he thinks he's a god. English is not the dominant language in the hallways. Operators are mostly temps. Too many older, heavier, lazier people for my liking.

Advice to Senior ManagementHopefully the Florida "fab" gets closed as part of the merger with RFMD. Expanding that dump at high cost while retaining that group of employees is not a good plan. Maybe the designers on the second floor are doing good things, but that first floor fab is a mess. Consider moving operations to a real building in a city where there is real talent instead of having to import that talent to central Florida (oh by the way, a pretty shady place).

Great Company- Terrible Management in Texas(Richardson) Branch!

Operations Specialist V (Current Employee) Richardson, TX

ProsGood pay, great Benefits, wanted to retire here

ConsCannot believe how I was treated just because of one person in Management! In 6 years 6 Perfect reviews, 5 nice raises(1 year none but still received stock options), Company turns a Blind Eye to its own "Code of Ethics" allowing managers to be in direct supervision over family members!

Advice to Senior ManagementFollow your own guidelines because one day you will have to answer to a higher authority.

Laser and Saw's Programmer and Trainer did Operator of WEI wet Bench all microscope inspection and inventory control JOT

Laser Ans Saw's Programmer and Trainer (Former Employee) Hillsboro, OR

ProsGetting to work and use my Leadership Skill in Training and Development of a successful team. Great people
    to work with.

ConsNo room for Advancement, some Leads are gods there, not certified to do the job in the area

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to the people that are doing the job.

Layout Designer

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Hillsboro, OR

ProsGood People that work Hard.

ConsLittle Support from Upper Management.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen training on tools are needed, then give the training.

A good place to work, lots to do but not too hectic.

Design Engineer (Former Employee) Santa Rosa, CA

ProsGreat people, good tools, interesting work. An example of the caliber of folks working there: they have a 'gift of time off' policy and when one of my coworkers at another site missed a lot of work due to medical issues they were 'gifted' enough days off so they did not miss a day of pay in six months off.

ConsBenefits keep slipping over time, not as stable a workplace as it was (layoffs to repackage the company for a 'merger').

Don't Rock The Boat Mentality

Design Engineering (Former Employee) Richardson, TX

ProsReward longevity...3 week sabbatical for 5 years service. Enough time for self-improvement. Great place to kick back, get experience, make contacts and then move on. You'll meet life-long talented friends for life here. Very informal atmosphere.

ConsOnce a supervisor gets a position, it's for life. Encouraging participation in CPI out loud but actually when someone demonstrates better ways of doing something they get shut down HARD! Efficiency and high standards are preached but not practiced. Big time "don't rock the boat mentality" from day one. The contributor level employees are still not involved in the goal setting process (but the VP says they are trying to change that). At least two software packages they use in production haven't been supported in decades. Cliques just like high school. Unorofessional

Advice to Senior ManagementYour Quality manager has a hard time keeping his department at full staff. Weed out the old timers in the design department who are anchoring your business in the 90's. Don't just talk about cross department co-operation, reward it. Also reward managers for changes and encourage standards.

Worked for TriQuint? Contribute to the Community!