Triage Consulting Group

Updated Feb 11, 2014

Triage Consulting Group CEO Brian Neece

Brian Neece

20 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Very happy I chose Triage right out of college! Hope to stay for a long successful career!

I have been working at Triage Consulting Group full-time for less than a year

Pros-associates get to work on 3 projects during their first year so they get to learn a lot and experience many different seniors and managers. The management is all VERY helpful and very good at showing new hires how to succeed and provide them the skills to be successful.
-great work life balance
-FUN culture!
-the Atlanta office principals are wonderful. Sean Alavi is hands down the best boss one can ever have and truly cares about each employee
-if employees decide to leave Triage, they find no trouble getting interviews for top consulting companies such as Deloitte and E&Y. Once employees reach Senior level, they are highly desirable and have a ton of knowledge and gained so many management skills
-Most are very receptive to feedback and feedback is taken highly into consideration
-opportunity to travel and the employees are all fun and always willing to explore the cities you are traveling in and make the most of any experience.
- lots of events and happy hours planned so always something to look forward to!

ConsSometimes the work can be boring, but that comes with any job when you are starting. Right off the bat, you cannot be given responsibilities of a senior associate.
Your projects determine a lot of your experience. However, Triage is great at hiring fun, talented people who help turn less lucrative projects into interesting ones nonetheless.
Most of the employees are hired right out of school so many are expecting to love every second of the work-However, that isnt the case for any job and unfortunately, no one tells you this when you are having a rough day. Ultimately, you just have to work through the more monotonous days to get more responsibilities and more fulfilling tasks.
niche market; however, very transferable leadership and management skills

Advice to Senior ManagementHelp new hires and associates get some interaction or knowledge into the client during their time in this role so they no what opportunities await them as a senior. Many days as an associate can be monotonous so knowing what hard work and time can result in, will help motivate them and commit them more to the work and company.
-more travel projects or opportunities
-more opportunities to work remotely to make up hours lost during travel

Great Start to Career

Associate (Former Employee)

I worked at Triage Consulting Group full-time for more than a year

ProsIn-depth knowledge of Healthcare Finance and Managed Care, Fun environment and co-workers, gratuitous time off, inspirational commitment to community service.

ConsIntense micromanagement, lack of effective people management training for senior consultants, limited client interaction.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would advise management to find ways that help new senior consultants identify key priorities. I spent far too much time being lectured about font colors and text sizes than I did on learning about managed care or our clients. Senior Consultants, particularly on small projects, rarely recognized when an associate went above or beyond and raised trivial issues on final evaluations while minimizing actual contributions to the bottom line of the project.

Associate

I have been working at Triage Consulting Group full-time for less than a year

ProsTriage has an incredible culture. The fact that you are surrounded by so many other young professionals is really special. I really appreciate how much Triage gives back to its employees. As a young person, you hear how employers take advantage of people starting their first job. At Triage, there are so many events and activities designed to give back to the employees and make work more fun. That impresses me.

ConsThe work can be a little boring at times. Certain tasks can get monotonous, but at the same time work will always be work. All jobs have their slow points.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to grow and expand. I think it would be awesome to really brand the name Triage in the Atlanta area, and I think this can be accomplished through continued expansion.

Great Work/Life Balance, Socialist Policies

Senior Associate (Former Employee)

I worked at Triage Consulting Group full-time for more than 3 years

ProsI stayed at Triage as long as I did because of the excellent work/life balance and the great people with whom I worked. Triage genuinely cares about its employees. Never expect to bring work home or work after 6 PM. Management has an open door policy and are genuinely fond of the associates.

ConsTriage has a socialist feel to it; never expect to get any personal recognition. Bonuses are non-existent. All people hired into the same start year are paid the exact same salary, which is non-negotiable. Promotions are staged at set times. Additionally, work can be tedious, repetitive, and boring.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn to recognize talent and figure out a way to incentivize performance. Working more doesn't equate to higher pay or a faster promotion, so why should your employees work hard? Give them a reason!

Great first job where you'll meet a lot of cool people

I have been working at Triage Consulting Group full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGood pay and great benefits. Young employees. Regular happy hours. Excellent work/life balance. Can run your own project within 21 months. Good project/people management experience.

ConsTasks can be repetitive and it's easy to get bored. Not true consulting, mostly auditing. Niche market.

Neutral But Critical

I have been working at Triage Consulting Group full-time for more than a year

ProsThe salary is really good for the hours you are expected to work. If you are an analytical person, you'll feel right at home doing hospital audits and finding underpayments; and you're likely to be very good at it. There are volunteer opportunities and plenty of social events to attend. You get to travel to client sites and build relationships with co-workers. The building is really cool, located in the Midtown business district. Triage is filled with youthful, energetic young professionals that enjoy a good work/life balance.

ConsLeadership/management has struggled adjusting to a growing office with increasing responsibilities, clients, expectations, etc. As Triage grows I think we have had difficulty managing this growth and making managerial decisions. In addition, MANY if not ALL seniors AND managers have A) Never worked outside Triage and B) Never had experience overseeing other employees. Seniors that are + or - 2 years older/younger than you with no additional professional experience in leading people evaluate your performance. The lack of overall experience in management is a HUGE strike against here. Many (although not all) seniors and managers struggle to effectively communicate with their employees and it hurts performance.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook to hire good business people in management that have a diversified business background and prior experience managing people. Look to reward those seniors that have performed and not the ones that just get along with everybody. Triage needs to be VERY critical of the people we put in senior/management positions. We need to make sure they have actual leadership skills.

Fun at first, then pretty horrible

Associate Consultant (Current Employee)

I have been working at Triage Consulting Group for more than a year

Pros-Fun people
-A lot of community service and social events
-Great business model, stable job. Seems near-recession proof (at least for now)

Cons-This is an AUDITING JOB! This is DEFINITELY NOT consulting. You make queries froms scratch (or use queries someone else from Triage has made) to run claims through to find underpaid medical claims, and when you find them, you actually have to hound insurance companies to pay the bills correctly. You literally have to call customer service, wait on hold, etc. If you want real consulting, go to at least Deloitte.

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote from outside. Triage tends to have a hard time with this though as many outsiders can't really understand the culture. When people are hired solely based on "fit" it's hard to understand the lack of professionalism constantly exhibited.

The perfect transition from college to the professional world

I have been working at Triage Consulting Group full-time

Pros- Lots of responsibility at a young age: At just 21 months in, associates have the opportunity to run their own projects and manage a small team.
- Continuing education: Lots of periodic training seminars regarding all things healthcare, but also a good amount of leadership development provided by professors from Berkely and UNC.
- Fun, youthful corporate culture: The average Triage is just a few years out of school, so there is always interest in planning fun activities outside of the office (happy hours, sporting events, etc).
- Genuine emphasis on corporate social responsibility: Triage provides associates the opportunity to go out and volunteer in the community a few days a year, and there are always charity, donation and recycling drives going on that bring associates together.
- Work/Life Balance: Working 45 - 50 hour weeks is unheard of at most other consulting firms, but Triage provides just that while still offering generous vacation (starting at 4 weeks/yr) and fair pay.

Cons- Niche market: Some associates worry that skills learned at Triage are not as transferrable to other jobs since we work in a niche market.
- Political environment: When it comes to leadership opportunities and promotions, politics can play a role (but what company doesn't practice politics?)
- All homegrown managers: Nearly 100% of the management team at Triage was hired straight out of school and has never worked elsewhere. While this makes them experts in our niche business market, this also means that they sometimes lack more broad business exposure. Maybe subsidized MBAs would help reduce this worry?

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work empowering your young associates to grow and manage, and also maintaining the fun, trusting culture at Triage. Stay open minded and welcome new ideas and changes when they make sense.

Great company and great people to work with!

I have been working at Triage Consulting Group full-time for more than a year

ProsAwesome people, competitive compensation, full disclosure about all job aspects

ConsLittle room for advanced vertical movement: one job track that has little to no wiggle room

Triage has helped launch my career and has provided me with great life skills in an extremely positive work environment!

I have been working at Triage Consulting Group full-time for more than a year

ProsHands down, the people are great to work with and are definitely Triage's biggest asset. I have gained a lot of technical skills that are transferable and add value to my personal skill set. There is a positive work environment and a work life balance that is second to none. Not only do I feel valued as an employee, but I feel valued as a person and that Management genuinely cares about my well being.

ConsThere aren't many cons about Triage in my opinion. If I had to pick one, I would say that I wished we traveled a little bit more. Other than that, I think Triage is about as good as it gets in this industry.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work! Continue investing in your employees to make them feel valued.

Worked for Triage Consulting Group? Contribute to the Community!

Triage Consulting Group Videos

Triage Consulting Group – Why Work for Us?

Triage is one of the nation’s leading hospital revenue review consultancies, with offices in San Francisco and Atlanta. We are a dedicated and energetic team of over 400 talented and highly-educated professionals who… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Triage Consulting Group reviews and ratings in Atlanta, GA — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Triage Consulting Group CEO Brian Neece . All 20 reviews posted anonymously by Triage Consulting Group employees.