Triage Consulting Group Reviews

126 reviews filtered by
3.5
Triage Consulting Group CEO Brian Neece
Brian Neece

Pros
  • Triage provides its employees with an excellent work-life balance (in 30 reviews)

• Tons of fun stuff--happy hours, teambuilding, paid volunteer time, team events (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • and you write and mail off close to a thousand letters to insurance companies (in 11 reviews)

• Lack of diversity and recruiting to fit a mold (in 3 reviews)

1. Featured Review

Great opportunity for college grads

Current Employee - Senior Associate in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Triage Consulting Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Accelerated career track: Most of your first year at Triage is spent learning (how to use our Access database, billing guidelines, industry information, client perspective). For me, that didn't mean just making phone calls all day, but everyone has a different experience based on your project mix. From 12-21 months you are given more client-facing responsibilities and get to train/manage newer employees. From 21 months on (if you have gotten solid evaluations) you are leading your own team. I don't think I could have gotten to a project manager role this quickly at many other jobs out of school. And I rarely call insurance companies anymore...

The people: I've made great friends that I'll keep for life. I've made great connections with people that moved on to other companies (built-in networking). There are very few people that I've not enjoyed working with.

No 'politics': Until Manager promotions, which are 5 years in and only affect a handful of people, you don't need to pull any House of Cards moves to succeed. If you are good to work with and produce a good work product, you will be promoted - simple as that.

Cons

Diversity?: This is a common subject in reviews lately so I should touch on it. I'm not a minority, but I'm not from an upper middle class, greek, sports background. Trust me when I say you can find your people no matter what your background is. I think we aim to hire younger, ambitious, friendly, and capable people, and that's part of why our culture is so great. Not sure this is the diversity crisis it's painted to be; I would chalk it up to the immaturity of some recent college grads. A lot of our events end with/focus on drinking beer, but I don't see that as very different from my friends' companies...

Burnout: If you aren't willing to put in the time on the front end to learn the work, you probably won't stay long enough to be Senior and reap the benefits (proj management experience, great pay for the hours worked). For most people this is their first job out of college so I would think this is a standard concept...

Merit: If you are a high performer, you are rewarded with more work (which can be great experience/exposure) but no extra pay and few perks. This works for the ambitious go-getters but I know it rubs some people the wrong way. There is a lingering feeling of being replaceable at any time (and it's mostly true, a result of the hiring model) which also makes some high performers uncomfortable.

Advice to Management

Some employees will always complain/push for more from you, which is probably necessary for an organization to move forward. However, when something can't happen, we at least appreciate when you justify why and show some transparency. Often there is a business reason that isn't obvious to us and whenever you communicate your organizational perspective in a clear way, you earn trust with your employees. This happens sometimes, but the more the better.

Also, Yammer is pretty weird.

2. Fun with great experience

Current Employee - Associate in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Triage Consulting Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I enjoy the work environment and the upper management. It's a great job that teaches you a good bit of technical skills as well as what's it like working in a business office. There's also some good exposure to clients depending on what project you get staffed on.

Cons

The company is very young and that can give off an unprofessional environment. The work can be mundane at time but the longer you work at the company the more exposure you'll get to newer things.

Advice to Management

Focus more on hiring people for their qualifications over whether they know someone in the office

3. Associate

Current Employee - Associate in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Triage Consulting Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work-life balance is great; I'm able to leave work at work. I'm truly able to see the fruit of my labor and learn new concepts almost daily. The work force is genuinely great and I can call all of my co-workers friends.

Cons

Limited flexibility within the structure - there's generally a set pipeline career path. There's no negotiations for salary and I'm not aware of any incentives for great performance versus average performance.

Advice to Management

Continue with your daily attitudes and approach-ability. It is rare to find a company with such openness.

Great people, great culture, but boring and monotonous work.

Former Employee - Senior Associate Consultant in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Senior Associate Consultant in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Triage Consulting Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Triage has a great culture where the employees feel truly valued. The hours are great and the travel requirements are also very comfortable. Atlanta location is right in midtown, arguably best area of town to be in. The head principal is the epitome of a great leader and boss.

Cons

Work is painfully monotonous; it is not true consulting, it is auditing. Managers and some principals lack experience and professional breadth; most of them have never had a job outside of Triage, which hurts their professional credibility and also develops a cultish feel within the company. The nature of the work and micromanaging from management leads to high attrition.

Advice to Management

Tell it like it is, Triage is an auditing firm. Use more professional techniques to encourage your employees; childish and disingenuous "goal-setting" techniques do not work and only shows the lack of experience from management.

6. benefits review

I have been working at Triage Consulting Group

Pros

very extensive. Medical is awesome and many options

Cons

nothing beyond medica, dental and vision really...no perks

Great company -- work experience, leadership opportunity, and balanced lifestyle in a fun environment.

Current Employee - Senior Associate in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Triage Consulting Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I see what some comments say about the daily work being a "con", but I encourage people to think bigger picture. There is time on the phone and tedious parts of the day, but you get so much more than just phone skills you can use to negotiating your cable bill. You get: leadership roles as early as 21 months, exposure to C-level hospital clients, exposure to internal management, "extracurricular" event planning and involvement if you want, and extensive formal and informal training giving young college grads real life business experience. The compensation package as a whole (salary + benefits + VTO + PTO...) is fair and there are opportunities for increases and bonuses at certain milestones. I think that anyone who leaves Triage (especially early on) because they don't like the work will find that most jobs have parts that are more and less desirable. Once you factor in the people you work with, the environment both here in the office and on the road, and the mentoring and support, and the value we add to the hospitals we work for, the reasons for working at Triage outweigh the reasons not to -- especially if you keep your focus on the big picture.

Cons

I think Triage's conservative nature causes it to be a bit reactionary to avoidable issues (shortage of office space, shortage of staff). I know that budgeting and risk assessments go into these decisions but it would be reassuring to see a more proactive attitude about some of the problems that we see year after year.

Excellent place to work. Great people, experience, and work-life balance.

Former Employee - Senior Associate in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Associate in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Triage Consulting Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Culture: Triage has an exceptional work environment. My colleagues were hard-working, fun, and extremely supportive. They have been able to maintain a very collaborative culture and emphasize strong work-life balance. A 45-55 hour workweek can be expected regardless of what level you reach at the company.

Professional Development: Triage invests heavily in its employees from a training/professional development standpoint. Furthermore, you get great management/client-facing experience at a very young age. Very few companies will let you manage multi-million dollar engagements between the ages of 23-25. The project management and staff development experience is extremely valuable.

Network: The Triage network is very tight-knit. You will get to know a very vibrant, diverse group of people who will go on to be successful in a hundred different ways, both inside and outside of healthcare. Triage is a great place to build a career, and can also be a great steppingstone for whatever else you'd like to get into outside of healthcare finance.

Cons

Mundane work: Triage's breadth of services is fairly narrow, and can be very mundane. If you don't enjoy the work, it can be a grind sometimes and the learning curve can level-off for long stretches between promotions.

No pay for performance: Triage's promotion track, salaries, and bonuses are all static - at present, there is no mechanism in place to financially reward company superstars. They do not incentivize people to excel which makes it difficult for their most talented people to stay.

Advice to Management

For the most part, well done - keep doing what you're doing. My one piece of advice would be to work on some sort of merit-based compensation. Whether that's increased bonuses, accelerated promotion tracks, or being more willing to allow really talented people to take their careers within Triage in an alternative direction where they could really drive a lot of value (e.g., technical applications, Legal Services, practice development, etc). I think it may go a long way towards motivating staff and keeping morale high as people would really feel like they are rewarded for going above and beyond.

The Cons Outweigh the Pros

Current Employee - Associate Consultant in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Associate Consultant in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Triage Consulting Group full-time

Pros

- Nice, fun group of people
    - Very flexible PTO
    - Great healthcare benefits
    - Great emphasis on volunteering and giving back to the community
    - 40-45 hour work week creates a decent work/life balance

Cons

Triage prides itself on having a great company culture. Therefore, they hire young, fun associates and have plenty of happy hours to keep it "fun". Unfortunately, there's only so much you can do to cover up the fact that the work done here is incredibly mundane and you're not consultants as much as you are auditors.

As previous reviews have stated, this is definitely an up or out company, which would be ok if it wasn't for the fact that promotions and evaluations can be skewed to the point where politics overshadow merit. This results in unqualified seniors who do not have the skills necessary to manage teams.

Diversity is definitely an issue, but there have been valid efforts to improve this, and I hope that facet will get better. It is true that if you don't fit a certain mold, it's difficult to fit into the culture.

Micromanagement is another huge problem here, to the point where it's sometimes hard to work. There's no room for entrepreneurship and creativity, which are qualities that normal consulting firms want and work to foster in their employees.

Advice to Management

When asking employees to provide feedback, actually take that feedback into consideration and apply those changes. It's understandable that Triage has a model that has "worked", but that shouldn't stop innovation. If the company continues to be so rigid, you risk losing a lot of great employees.

experienced associate

I have been working at Triage Consulting Group

Pros

looks good on a resume

Cons

extremely boring
    no transferrable skills
    do not recommend

Advice to Management

corporate culture makes a lot of people feel left out

11. Couldn't imagine a better opportunity right out of college.

I have been working at Triage Consulting Group

Pros

*The people! Triagers are awesome. Every one is young, intelligent, well dressed, and most important: extremely down to Earth. From the second you walk into the office on day one of new-hire orientation, you're made to feel at home. I seriously forget I'm at work sometimes. It kinda feels like college 2.0 except that you're now getting paid.
    *The career-path. How many consulting firms or any business for that matter lets you run your own team and present to clients after less than 2 years of experience? Even if you don't stay at Triage for your whole life, that looks fantastic on a resume.
    *The work-life balance. Upper management knows you have a life outside of work. They actually encourage it. The amount of paid time off is incredible. You do have to accrue PTO however.
    *Flex schedule. Early person? Get in super early and leave before rush hour. Not a morning person? Come in late and leave late. As long as you get your hours and do your job, you decide when to come in (Although it usually helps to be somewhat on the same schedule as your team)
    *Upper management. The principals are a hoot. We seriously have so much fun. There's always an open door policy.
    *The learning experience. I'm not kidding. I learned more in my first month than I did my senior year of college. It's a lot to take in, but once it clicks, you're off to the races.
    *Benefits. You will make this company a lot of money. But that's okay because perks are just thrown in your face like there is no tomorrow. Triage understands happy employees increasing the company's bottom line. I am okay with that.
    *FRIDAY IS CASUAL DRESS

Cons

*I'm seriously having a hard time thinking of any. Some people complain about 45 hours a week, but that is NOTHING compared to most consulting firms. It's seriously not that bad.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. One day we are going to get tank-top Fridays approved. I swear to it.

Triage Consulting Group Photos