Triage Consulting Group Reviews

Employment Status

Reset

experienced associate

I have been working at Triage Consulting Group

Pros

looks good on a resume

Cons

extremely boring
    no transferrable skills
    do not recommend

Advice to Management

corporate culture makes a lot of people feel left out

Couldn't imagine a better opportunity right out of college.

Current Employee - Associate in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Associate in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Triage Consulting Group

Pros

*The people! Triagers are awesome. Every one is young, intelligent, well dressed, and most important: extremely down to Earth. From the second you walk into the office on day one of new-hire orientation, you're made to feel at home. I seriously forget I'm at work sometimes. It kinda feels like college 2.0 except that you're now getting paid.
    *The career-path. How many consulting firms or any business for that matter lets you run your own team and present to clients after less than 2 years of experience? Even if you don't stay at Triage for your whole life, that looks fantastic on a resume.
    *The work-life balance. Upper management knows you have a life outside of work. They actually encourage it. The amount of paid time off is incredible. You do have to accrue PTO however.
    *Flex schedule. Early person? Get in super early and leave before rush hour. Not a morning person? Come in late and leave late. As long as you get your hours and do your job, you decide when to come in (Although it usually helps to be somewhat on the same schedule as your team)
    *Upper management. The principals are a hoot. We seriously have so much fun. There's always an open door policy.
    *The learning experience. I'm not kidding. I learned more in my first month than I did my senior year of college. It's a lot to take in, but once it clicks, you're off to the races.
    *Benefits. You will make this company a lot of money. But that's okay because perks are just thrown in your face like there is no tomorrow. Triage understands happy employees increasing the company's bottom line. I am okay with that.
    *FRIDAY IS CASUAL DRESS

Cons

*I'm seriously having a hard time thinking of any. Some people complain about 45 hours a week, but that is NOTHING compared to most consulting firms. It's seriously not that bad.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. One day we are going to get tank-top Fridays approved. I swear to it.

Triage is a great place to start one's career with strong career development opportunities and an amazing culture.

Former Employee - Senior Associate in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Triage Consulting Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great opportunity to manage a team early in your career and overall career development opportunities.
    Strong work/life balance.
    Team-oriented culture that is a fun place to work.
    I made lifelong friends at Triage.
    Company was a great springboard into a top business school and a rewarding career in Healthcare post-MBA.

Cons

The work of a first year associate can be monotonous.
    Compensation is lower than most consulting opportunities (was the case in 2011), but there is a generous PTO policy and better balance than industry norm.
    Depending on the project, there can be a significant amount of travel.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

Stagnant and cookie-cutter

Former Employee - Associate in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Associate in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Triage Consulting Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

*Good work-life balance and low-stress if those are your priorities
    *Looks good on a resume
    *PTO/benefits

Cons

Diversity is a genuine problem. The fact that a significant number of people have expressed concerns about an exclusionary culture, but someone more tenured posted a review undermining those personal experiences, is telling of the general company culture at Triage. Diversity is a widespread complaint behind closed doors for many people who don't fit the limited Triage stereotype. The demographic seems to be 80% white and many employees coming from Greek life, which is partly why reviews are so divided between "College part 2! Love the people!" vs. "meh."

Work culture aside, the day-to-day is procedural and repetitive. You do learn a lot of knowledge within the first couple months, but it is within a small sliver of the healthcare industry. If you are genuinely interested in account research, calling insurance reps, claims and billing, and contract language, then you might enjoy the work. However, this is definitely not a management consulting/strategy role no matter how much Triage tries to brand it as such.

Evaluations and recruitment can be laughable and not professional. This is less of a problem higher up with Managers and Principals, but I have heard Associates (22-23 year olds) write candidates off at career fairs for having a foreign accent, subjectively not liking them, or giving them chances because they were physically attractive. This lack of professionalism and value system would never be accepted at most companies I know of, and it is unfortunate that the environment tends to allow and foster this type of behavior. For evaluations, many employees feel that politics/personality fit outweigh merit and productivity.

Advice to Management

Transparency during the recruiting process, as well as lowering the bar in terms of candidate caliber, might aid in employee retention and happiness. Higher-performing employees leave fast because there are so many administrative tasks in the job that do not require education from a top-tier school.

Great opportunity: responsibility early, multi-functional opportunities, great work-life balance/people/culture

Former Employee - Senior Associate in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Triage Consulting Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Large Responsibility Early: Dependent upon your performance, within 21 months you could be leading a project with multiple direct reports. You will learn to manage employees and connect long-term goals co-created with senior management to short-term workflows of your project.
    Multi-functional opportunities: Very easy for person to become involved in areas outside of day-to-day consulting work. I was lead of recruiting at my undergrad and a liaison to one of the company's non-profit partners. This was in addition to the day-to-day work I did for my client. Other opportunities also include: Green Squad (leading in-office sustainability), internal consulting (growing knowledge base and improving software/processes), training (lead internal training for newer associates), etc. (check website for more)
    Work-life balance/people/culture: Probably the most distinguishing factor. All of these are perfect for where I was coming out of college. Only 45 hours/week in office, the people that work here are all fun and often go out together outside of work, and the culture is one of creating a one-stop shop of professional development coupled with a social employee-base that could replace your current friends (if you want it to).
    All of the above means that there are many opportunities to either stay or move onto a new endeavor in a variety of industries/functions, and you will enjoy your time while you are here.

Cons

*Sometimes work can become repetitive and mundane (especially some of the stuff you will be doing early on in your career).
    *Specialized in one area of healthcare. Stay too long you could think that you're pigeon-holed into hospital administration.
    *Compensation is same for all employees. While attempts have been made to recognize great work from select individuals, sometimes it just feels like management is checking the box on "recognizing their employee[s]".

Advice to Management

Try to continue becoming more transparent with success of company and sharing in spoils. While it'll never get to disclosing liabilities of company, the revenue targets seem to come out of nowhere. When left to my own devices, the annual revenues for a 400-person company seems like a pretty sizeable delta between revenue per employee and compensation for those grinding on the revenue-generating work.

Triage is a good company made great by amazing people. The company culture is fun and exciting.

Current Employee - Associate Consultant in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Associate Consultant in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Triage Consulting Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Triage really values work/life balance which is readily apparent through their vacation and travel policies.

Cons

The work can be a little mundane but that is the nature of the job and the type of services they offer to their clients.

Best First Job Ever!

I worked at Triage Consulting Group

Pros

-Unbelievably welcoming, inclusive, and fun culture
    -Lots of professional development opportunities
    -Great place for client interfacing and travel opportunities
    -Great pay, vacation, and benefits for a first job
    -Good management experience for young professionals (managing own team by 24)
    -The company has lots of young professionals who set great examples of how to carry yourself professionally

Cons

-The work can get a little monotonous and repetitive leading to long days
    -They do not promote early giving you little incentive to work harder than usual

Advice to Management

-Find ways to outsource follow-up... it's pretty boring

Great first job after college. Lacks diversity.

Current Employee - Associate in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Associate in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Triage Consulting Group full-time

Pros

Really fun work environment. Young coworkers, good work life balance. Very good trainings and exposure to team-oriented working processes. Transparent promotion track.

Cons

Not diverse. Especially for San Francisco, supposedly the epicenter of diversity in the bay area. Very monogamous frat-like culture and people. Not much incentive to perform exceedingly well since promotion track is set and based on tenure.

Advice to Management

Hire more diverse employees to stay innovative and competitive. Give incentives for employees to go the extra mile on projects (recognition, bonuses, etc).

Young and fun company but not a great career choice. If you are looking for consulting, look elsewhere.

Current Employee - Experienced Associate in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Experienced Associate in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Triage Consulting Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work/life balance is great as the job isn't difficult at all and long hours aren't expected. The salary is relatively fair for what the job entails.

Cons

Hardly any skills learned are transferable, promotions are based almost solely on tenure and not ability, company only hires out of college and promotes within the company which leads very little diversity, perks are almost non-existent (except fruit and coffee), 401k match is low and health benefits are the bare minimum

Advice to Management

The company is built using a model of hiring only college grads to do easy, grunt work and call it "consulting", which it is most definitely not. This model works for Triage and is profitable so it wont be changing anytime soon. My advice would be to put more importance on skills and ability when promoting from within as opposed to simply time at the company.

Great work culture, collaborative and supportive work environment

I have been working at Triage Consulting Group

Pros

Amazing work/life balance; strong focus on career development

Cons

Rigid structure; lacks work-from-home option

RSS Feed </> Embed