Triage Consulting Group Reviews

• Full-time
  • Part-time
Employment Status

Reset

Great company -- work experience, leadership opportunity, and balanced lifestyle in a fun environment.

Current Employee - Senior Associate in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Associate in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Triage Consulting Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I see what some comments say about the daily work being a "con", but I encourage people to think bigger picture. There is time on the phone and tedious parts of the day, but you get so much more than just phone skills you can use to negotiating your cable bill. You get: leadership roles as early as 21 months, exposure to C-level hospital clients, exposure to internal management, "extracurricular" event planning and involvement if you want, and extensive formal and informal training giving young college grads real life business experience. The compensation package as a whole (salary + benefits + VTO + PTO...) is fair and there are opportunities for increases and bonuses at certain milestones. I think that anyone who leaves Triage (especially early on) because they don't like the work will find that most jobs have parts that are more and less desirable. Once you factor in the people you work with, the environment both here in the office and on the road, and the mentoring and support, and the value we add to the hospitals we work for, the reasons for working at Triage outweigh the reasons not to -- especially if you keep your focus on the big picture.

Cons

I think Triage's conservative nature causes it to be a bit reactionary to avoidable issues (shortage of office space, shortage of staff). I know that budgeting and risk assessments go into these decisions but it would be reassuring to see a more proactive attitude about some of the problems that we see year after year.

2. benefits review

I have been working at Triage Consulting Group

Pros

very extensive. Medical is awesome and many options

Cons

nothing beyond medica, dental and vision really...no perks

Excellent place to work. Great people, experience, and work-life balance.

Former Employee - Senior Associate in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Triage Consulting Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Culture: Triage has an exceptional work environment. My colleagues were hard-working, fun, and extremely supportive. They have been able to maintain a very collaborative culture and emphasize strong work-life balance. A 45-55 hour workweek can be expected regardless of what level you reach at the company. Professional Development: Triage invests heavily in its employees from a training/professional development standpoint. Furthermore, you get great management/client-facing experience at a very young age. Very few companies will let you manage multi-million dollar engagements between the ages of 23-25. The project management and staff development experience is extremely valuable. Network: The Triage network is very tight-knit. You will get to know a very vibrant, diverse group of people who will go on to be successful in a hundred different ways, both inside and outside of healthcare. Triage is a great place to build a career, and can also be a great steppingstone for whatever else you'd like to get into outside of healthcare finance.

Cons

Mundane work: Triage's breadth of services is fairly narrow, and can be very mundane. If you don't enjoy the work, it can be a grind sometimes and the learning curve can level-off for long stretches between promotions. No pay for performance: Triage's promotion track, salaries, and bonuses are all static - at present, there is no mechanism in place to financially reward company superstars. They do not incentivize people to excel which makes it difficult for their most talented people to stay.

Advice to Management

For the most part, well done - keep doing what you're doing. My one piece of advice would be to work on some sort of merit-based compensation. Whether that's increased bonuses, accelerated promotion tracks, or being more willing to allow really talented people to take their careers within Triage in an alternative direction where they could really drive a lot of value (e.g., technical applications, Legal Services, practice development, etc). I think it may go a long way towards motivating staff and keeping morale high as people would really feel like they are rewarded for going above and beyond.

The Cons Outweigh the Pros

Current Employee - Associate Consultant in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Associate Consultant in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Triage Consulting Group full-time

Pros

- Nice, fun group of people - Very flexible PTO - Great healthcare benefits - Great emphasis on volunteering and giving back to the community - 40-45 hour work week creates a decent work/life balance

Cons

Triage prides itself on having a great company culture. Therefore, they hire young, fun associates and have plenty of happy hours to keep it "fun". Unfortunately, there's only so much you can do to cover up the fact that the work done here is incredibly mundane and you're not consultants as much as you are auditors. As previous reviews have stated, this is definitely an up or out company, which would be ok if it wasn't for the fact that promotions and evaluations can be skewed to the point where politics overshadow merit. This results in unqualified seniors who do not have the skills necessary to manage teams. Diversity is definitely an issue, but there have been valid efforts to improve this, and I hope that facet will get better. It is true that if you don't fit a certain mold, it's difficult to fit into the culture. Micromanagement is another huge problem here, to the point where it's sometimes hard to work. There's no room for entrepreneurship and creativity, which are qualities that normal consulting firms want and work to foster in their employees.

Advice to Management

When asking employees to provide feedback, actually take that feedback into consideration and apply those changes. It's understandable that Triage has a model that has "worked", but that shouldn't stop innovation. If the company continues to be so rigid, you risk losing a lot of great employees.

experienced associate

I have been working at Triage Consulting Group

Pros

looks good on a resume

Cons

extremely boring no transferrable skills do not recommend

Advice to Management

corporate culture makes a lot of people feel left out

Couldn't imagine a better opportunity right out of college.

Current Employee - Associate in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Associate in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Triage Consulting Group

Pros

*The people! Triagers are awesome. Every one is young, intelligent, well dressed, and most important: extremely down to Earth. From the second you walk into the office on day one of new-hire orientation, you're made to feel at home. I seriously forget I'm at work sometimes. It kinda feels like college 2.0 except that you're now getting paid. *The career-path. How many consulting firms or any business for that matter lets you run your own team and present to clients after less than 2 years of experience? Even if you don't stay at Triage for your whole life, that looks fantastic on a resume. *The work-life balance. Upper management knows you have a life outside of work. They actually encourage it. The amount of paid time off is incredible. You do have to accrue PTO however. *Flex schedule. Early person? Get in super early and leave before rush hour. Not a morning person? Come in late and leave late. As long as you get your hours and do your job, you decide when to come in (Although it usually helps to be somewhat on the same schedule as your team) *Upper management. The principals are a hoot. We seriously have so much fun. There's always an open door policy. *The learning experience. I'm not kidding. I learned more in my first month than I did my senior year of college. It's a lot to take in, but once it clicks, you're off to the races. *Benefits. You will make this company a lot of money. But that's okay because perks are just thrown in your face like there is no tomorrow. Triage understands happy employees increasing the company's bottom line. I am okay with that. *FRIDAY IS CASUAL DRESS

Cons

*I'm seriously having a hard time thinking of any. Some people complain about 45 hours a week, but that is NOTHING compared to most consulting firms. It's seriously not that bad.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. One day we are going to get tank-top Fridays approved. I swear to it.

Triage is a great place to start one's career with strong career development opportunities and an amazing culture.

Former Employee - Senior Associate in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Triage Consulting Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great opportunity to manage a team early in your career and overall career development opportunities. Strong work/life balance. Team-oriented culture that is a fun place to work. I made lifelong friends at Triage. Company was a great springboard into a top business school and a rewarding career in Healthcare post-MBA.

Cons

The work of a first year associate can be monotonous. Compensation is lower than most consulting opportunities (was the case in 2011), but there is a generous PTO policy and better balance than industry norm. Depending on the project, there can be a significant amount of travel.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

Stagnant and cookie-cutter

Former Employee - Associate in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Associate in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Triage Consulting Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

*Good work-life balance and low-stress if those are your priorities *Looks good on a resume *PTO/benefits

Cons

Diversity is a genuine problem. The fact that a significant number of people have expressed concerns about an exclusionary culture, but someone more tenured posted a review undermining those personal experiences, is telling of the general company culture at Triage. Diversity is a widespread complaint behind closed doors for many people who don't fit the limited Triage stereotype. The demographic seems to be 80% white and many employees coming from Greek life, which is partly why reviews are so divided between "College part 2! Love the people!" vs. "meh." Work culture aside, the day-to-day is procedural and repetitive. You do learn a lot of knowledge within the first couple months, but it is within a small sliver of the healthcare industry. If you are genuinely interested in account research, calling insurance reps, claims and billing, and contract language, then you might enjoy the work. However, this is definitely not a management consulting/strategy role no matter how much Triage tries to brand it as such. Evaluations and recruitment can be laughable and not professional. This is less of a problem higher up with Managers and Principals, but I have heard Associates (22-23 year olds) write candidates off at career fairs for having a foreign accent, subjectively not liking them, or giving them chances because they were physically attractive. This lack of professionalism and value system would never be accepted at most companies I know of, and it is unfortunate that the environment tends to allow and foster this type of behavior. For evaluations, many employees feel that politics/personality fit outweigh merit and productivity.

Advice to Management

Transparency during the recruiting process, as well as lowering the bar in terms of candidate caliber, might aid in employee retention and happiness. Higher-performing employees leave fast because there are so many administrative tasks in the job that do not require education from a top-tier school.

Great opportunity: responsibility early, multi-functional opportunities, great work-life balance/people/culture

Former Employee - Senior Associate in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Triage Consulting Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Large Responsibility Early: Dependent upon your performance, within 21 months you could be leading a project with multiple direct reports. You will learn to manage employees and connect long-term goals co-created with senior management to short-term workflows of your project. Multi-functional opportunities: Very easy for person to become involved in areas outside of day-to-day consulting work. I was lead of recruiting at my undergrad and a liaison to one of the company's non-profit partners. This was in addition to the day-to-day work I did for my client. Other opportunities also include: Green Squad (leading in-office sustainability), internal consulting (growing knowledge base and improving software/processes), training (lead internal training for newer associates), etc. (check website for more) Work-life balance/people/culture: Probably the most distinguishing factor. All of these are perfect for where I was coming out of college. Only 45 hours/week in office, the people that work here are all fun and often go out together outside of work, and the culture is one of creating a one-stop shop of professional development coupled with a social employee-base that could replace your current friends (if you want it to). All of the above means that there are many opportunities to either stay or move onto a new endeavor in a variety of industries/functions, and you will enjoy your time while you are here.

Cons

*Sometimes work can become repetitive and mundane (especially some of the stuff you will be doing early on in your career). *Specialized in one area of healthcare. Stay too long you could think that you're pigeon-holed into hospital administration. *Compensation is same for all employees. While attempts have been made to recognize great work from select individuals, sometimes it just feels like management is checking the box on "recognizing their employee[s]".

Advice to Management

Try to continue becoming more transparent with success of company and sharing in spoils. While it'll never get to disclosing liabilities of company, the revenue targets seem to come out of nowhere. When left to my own devices, the annual revenues for a 400-person company seems like a pretty sizeable delta between revenue per employee and compensation for those grinding on the revenue-generating work.

Triage is a good company made great by amazing people. The company culture is fun and exciting.

Current Employee - Associate Consultant in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Associate Consultant in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Triage Consulting Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Triage really values work/life balance which is readily apparent through their vacation and travel policies.

Cons

The work can be a little mundane but that is the nature of the job and the type of services they offer to their clients.

RSS Feed </> Embed