Triage Consulting Group Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
Triage Consulting Group CEO Brian Neece
Brian Neece

Pros
  • The work-life balance is phenomenal for consulting and the company really cares about the well-being of its people (in 30 reviews)

• Tons of fun stuff--happy hours, teambuilding, paid volunteer time, team events (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • The work is 10% Consulting and 90% arguing with insurance companies about collections (in 11 reviews)

• Promotions are primarily based on time rather than accomplishments (in 3 reviews)

Great opportunity to live like a college student as a post grad

Former Employee - Associate in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Associate in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Triage Consulting Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-The people, the people, the people. Triage does a great job of hiring social college students who will go out of their way to make the most of a fun, post-Greek-life company culture. -The hours are steady at 45 hours per week. I never had to stay late, never answered an email outside of the office, and never had to come in on the weekend. -If you are competent and have a decent attitude, you will get promoted to Senior Associate at 21 months. No sooner, no later. If you dislike uncertainty, this could be a great pro. This is a fairly quick path to actual project management. -If you are intelligent and ambitious, you can leverage the job into a far better one. The top 10-25% of Triagers leave for solid jobs in tech, banking (occasionally), or top 10 MBA programs. -There is a focus on developing professional, soft skills that is useful for college grads with no real full-time business experience prior to this job.

Cons

-There is almost no differentiation between high performers and mediocre performers. As mentioned before, if you are truly incompetent or have a poor attitude, you will not get the Senior Associate promotion. Otherwise, you will get promoted, and high performers can lose steam when they realize how easily others can coast along and receive the same evaluation score. -Don't expect "consulting" work for the first 2 years. Expect to audit hospital claims data, peruse through the shorthand notes of claims administrators, and spend the vast majority of your time navigating through insurance phone webs trying to find out where a specific claim’s reimbursement process went wrong. Unless you want to work in healthcare management or a hospital billing department, you'll learn a lot of the minutia about one very specific niche of healthcare that won't apply to your future career. -If you rent an apartment in SF, the starting salary does not go a long way.

Advice to Management

With no external differentiation between high and low performers, Triage is relying on the personal drive within high performers to keep them motivated. If people aren't channeling their drive towards their work work, they'll channel it towards job hunting. Management could incentivize Associates with a promotion path contingent on performance. The very top performers are ready to be a second Senior on their fourth or fifth project, while others could be promoted at their sixth or seventh project. Rather than striving to be “good enough” to get promoted at 21 months, your top performers would work harder to prove that they are ready for more responsibility and a raise sooner than others.

Senior Associate

Former Employee - Senior Associate in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Triage Consulting Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Early Responsibility: The promotion to Senior at 21 months, granted that you have consistently produced solid work and earned positive evaluations after every project, is incredibly valuable. If you are promoted and consistently perform well, your growth in responsibility might look something like: @ 21 Months: Paired with a more tenured senior and co-pilot a large project of between 4-8 associates. This help learn the ropes of the senior role and provides some semblance of training wheels for your first meaningful client interactions. @ ~2 Years: Run your own small project (potentially a team of just you or maybe 1-2 associates if you're a top performer). This is where you really get to "be your own boss" on a day to day basis. You can still expect to do a lot of the associate level work due to team size being small, but you also have more say in the direction of the project and more frequent interaction with clients and upper Triage management @ ~3 Years: Run a project of 2-3 associates (maybe more if you are a rock-star they are grooming for promotion down the road). This is the point at which you get to separate yourself from the daily associate level work (to an extent) and start focusing more on project strategy and driving client value @ ~4 Years: If you are around by year 4, you will have a very good idea of where you stand (favorite for promotion at year 5 or not). If you find yourself in the former group, you will likely be leading a large project of anywhere from 6-8 associates and focusing almost exclusively on managing your team as well as working closely with Triage management on a daily basis I my opinion there is a level of diminishing returns here, but in the early stages following promotion, the experience is something you simply wouldn't be getting at many other places. If you can perform up to the level where you are managing several associates in year 2, you will find yourself advanced well beyond many of your peers in your ability to manage a team, think critically about long term project strategy and planning, and interact confidently with both clients and executives. The People: I will caveat this with saying that by the time I left in early 2015, I had noticed a worrisome, negative trend in terms of firm morale, and it felt like less and less people were truly engaging in what was previously and unrivaled company culture. That said, from 2011 - 2013, I made some of my absolute best friends out of my coworkers and some of my best memories and company events (those put on by the company and otherwise). Triage loves to float a saying created by a former Senior Associate: "Triage is a good job made great by exceptional people." I support this 100%; however, if the social bonds that connected these exceptional people beyond the workplace start to dissolve, then that saying may only be applicable for so much longer. Exit Opportunities / Built-In Networking: The places that the top 25% of people leave Triage to go to are simply exceptional. It's a common occurrence to see 3rd and 4th years leaving the firm for top flight B-Schools (Kellogg, Hass, Anderson, Yale, etc.), Med Schools, manager roles in the healthcare space, or for other top 10 consulting firms. Because of this, it makes it very easy to start networking either within or outside of healthcare almost as soon as you decide it's time to move on. I personally have the job I have now in part due to a former peer at Triage

Cons

The Work: There are two types of people that go into Triage: those that want to be consultants and those who want to be involved in healthcare (with a business tint). If you are among the latte, are truly passionate about healthcare, and want to someday be in management at a health system or hospital, then the work might actually be a Pro. However, if you are among those that are of a consulting mindset and want to touch a broader swathe of project and tasks, then you will find yourself disappointed early and often. The rapid career progression goes a long way in masking this, but when rubber meets the road, you will spend 45 hours a week engaging in the same three tasks: (1) Working in an access database to try and convert PDF contracts between insurance companies and hospitals into a series of queries that determine how a hospital bill should have been paid, (2) researching claims where payment doesn't equal what you expected, and (3) corresponding with insurance companies via phone and mail in order to try to explain why payment should have been more than what it was. Occasionally, something different will come across your plate, but in the interest of being candid and honest, this will comprise 90-95% of your weeks up until your 3rd year or so when it will dwindle to around 60-70%. A Lack of Vision / Willingness to Change: If you are passionate about innovation or working on projects aimed at developing efficiencies or better processes, then Triage will frustrate you. There is a top-down culture of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" that is universal and is not going to change any time soon. This philosophy governs everything: recruiting, types of projects people can work on, compensation, the products and tools that teams work with, etc. As an aside, I ultimately think that this particular con will eventually prove to be the firm's achilles heel and what will allow other firms and the clients Triage serves to catch up and pass them in terms of technical proficiency and scale. Compensation: If you are strictly egalitarian, then stop reading, you will love it. Otherwise, you might be like me and believe that different people, performing at different levels as evident by their quantifiable evaluations, ought to be compensated differently. Stated another way, if you believe that the person at the very top of the class and the person on the verge of being terminated for performance issues should receive the same base and bonus amounts each year, then Triage would be a perfect fit for you. Musings aside, total compensation at Triage (both base and bonuses) varies exclusively based upon tenure. There are no exceptions made for this rule. You can be the brightest star or the laziest bum, and so long as you started on the same date, you will be paid the same. Triage maintains that it is a "meritocracy" in that promotions to Senior and Manager are based upon merit, and while this is true, a meritocracy that only provides two distinct points in 10 years to differentiate from your peers in terms of compensation based recognition is hardly what you would call dynamic (especially considering that over 80% of associates make Senior and less than 10% of Seniors make Manager). This may sound a touch like a rant, but think long and hard about whether or not this will bother you long term before you make a decision. I didn't think it would matter to me, but it can definitely wear on your morale, sap your motivation, and if left unchecked, diminish inherent desire to achieve (something I feared very deeply in the months leading up to my decision to leave).

Advice to Management

1. Take advantage of your employees strengths and diversify employee roles in a meaningful way. Keeping everyone on the exact same track through the first 21 months is likely wise in that it exposes everyone to everything and gives them a chance to identify what they may love / excel at that they wouldn't have otherwise realized. However, there comes a point when some degree of specialization (beyond simply joining a squad that you spend 2% of your time on) is good for both morale and for the bottom line. If you have people passionate about technical progress, building new tool, and driving innovations, then let the builders build, don't stifle innovation by failing to utilize this potentially powerful asset. If you have people passionate about recruiting, then let then act as your ambassadors, don't simply force whomever is on the team closest to the university to act as your recruiters. If you have people passionate about building a fun social culture, equip them with the resources to host great events. 2. Made good on the promise of "meritocracy." I can support keeping everyone's base salaries the same within windows of tenure, but in terms of end of year bonuses, reward people individually for their accomplishments that year. The resultant morale boost and motivation to drive value day in and day out will more than pay off any additional investment you are making in your labor expenses. If someone in the bottom 25% is so offended by not receiving a bonus that they decide to leave, then maybe they weren't a great fit in the first place. 3. Innovate. In my nearly 3.5 years at the firm, I saw zero truly game-changing innovations fully brought to fruition. There were several out there that if supported by upper management may have emerged as one, but they were squashed by a downward pressure to focus on exclusively on core project work.

3. Great starting job for a new graduate.

Current Employee - Analyst in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Analyst in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Triage Consulting Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This is an extremely low stress environment, with lots of opportunities to display team communication, leadership, and personal growth. There are many opportunities to grow professionally in this firm, and the network of people is great here.

Cons

As a young professional I want to work extremely hard and gain some professional acknowledgement for my efforts. The firm seems to value time spent working over the quality of work.

Advice to Management

Offer commission based salaries, and more opportunities for bonuses. Also develop a standard career path for analysts as well.

Triage Consulting Group Response

Jan 26, 2015 – HR Director

It’s great to hear Triage has helped develop your communication, leadership and network through various opportunities. We value hard work and will continue to recognize employees for their effort and ... More

5. I worked full time at Triage for 2 years

Current Employee - Associate in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Triage Consulting Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Fun, social group of young people -good work/life balance

Cons

-Promotions not based on merit, rather tenure -Incredibly dry work

Advice to Management

Keep it transparent and stop skimping on small things like casual dress, or bonuses

Good entree into healthcare and consulting but very narrow in scope

Former Employee - Senior Associate in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Triage Consulting Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good project management and managerial experience

Cons

You only experience a small sliver of the healthcare sector

Advice to Management

Expansion into other lines of business

7. Not exactly what you expect

Current Employee - Associate Consultant in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Associate Consultant in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Triage Consulting Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

If you are interested in Healthcare, but want to work on the business realm, Triage is a great place. However, our clients are exclusively hospitals, so there isn't much exposure to other healthcare fields. As someone who is interested in the healthcare business, I feel that I am getting a great knowlege base of how hospitals operate and generate revenue, as we work to recover lost cash from insurance companies once accounts have been written off by hospitals as uncollectable. Triage has great work life balance (M-F 8-5:30/6), the people are great and you work in teams of anywhere from 2-8 members. It is a relatively young company which makes the work day more fun. Plus the office is in San Francisco which is a great place to be right out of college. If you are on a travel project, the travel benefits are great as well.

Cons

On a daily basis, tasks are relatively mundane(especially as an Associate): you are on the phone with insurance companies (often time talking with offshore representatives) and in front of the computer all day (not much client interaction). Triage is not really "consulting" per say - associates and senior associates are mostly auditing and sending out bills/appeals to insurance companies for additional reimbursement. It was not what I expected when I interviewed - I was prepared for much more "consulting" rather than auditing and billing. I think that the reason Triage's attrition rate is so high is because there is not much room for growth - associates and senior associates pretty much do the same work.

Nice if you drink the Kool-Aid

Current Employee - Associate in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Triage Consulting Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Rotation of projects every 3 to 4 months to keep things fresh and new - Lots of opportunity to receive feedback and see how your are growing professionally - Great place to gain technical knowledge and management skills - Young environment

Cons

- Lack of diversity, ethnicity and age wise (almost all white and in their 20s) . Also for most upper management workers , Triage has been the the first and only company they have ever worked at. There is a lack of diversity in knowledge due to that. There is VERY little outside knowledge coming into the company. - Really fraternity/sorority-like. If you weren't apart of a frat or sorority- be ready to feel left out often. - If you don't become a Triage cheerleader and drink the Kool-Aid you are looked down upon. - Compensation doesn't fit the cost of living in SF, unless you live with your parents or you have zero student loans, you can't survive on the salary in SF. When the avg rent in SF is more than half your monthly income, that's an issue.

Advice to Management

recruit outside of frats and sororities, acknowledge people who are intelligent and have the skill set needed to become management rather than doing it by popularity and tenure.

9. Auditing, NOT consulting

Current Employee - Associate in San Francisco, CA

Pros

- Co-workers are young and like to socialize, which makes work and teams more fun - Nice travel balance: depending on project, travel varies and could be 100% in town, or on client site 1/2/3 weeks out of the month. This is great as it minimizes burn out - Work life balance: required to work 45 hours a week, which is great for consulting. However, keep in mind that you are not consulting, you are auditing, and those 45 hours suddenly are not as appealing - Leadership experience: after less than 2 years, could be promoted to a Senior and can manage your own team

Cons

- Doing work for the company's main business, CPR- Comprehensive Payment Review (read: auditing, billing and rebilling claims, calling insurance companies all day), is monotonous, boring, and unfullfilling - Salary is calculated based on "market rates" i.e. the company is low-balling, especially in San Francisco terms - If you are looking for a career in consulting, my suggestion is to look elsewhere

Advice to Management

Be involved and serve as a model to everybody at the firm, especially new employees. It is encouraging and makes a big difference by positively influencing perceptions of their job and of the company

Intellectual environment. hires the best and brightest, slow management

Current Employee - Associate in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Triage's strengths is its workers -- bright, young, enthusiastic. They work hard to cultivate a vibrant company culture that feels smaller than the company is. Compensation package is attractive, especially after the scheduled one year raise.

Cons

There is a fixed promotion schedule (21 months), regardless of individual strengths. Pay is the same for all employees of the same skill level. A lot of the work involves calling the customer service lines for insurance companies (most of an employees first four months), which is not emphasized during the recruitment process. At the same time, the work does become more demanding and challenging as you work your way up the company.

Good place for new hires, but long term success and talent drained lack of leadership.

Current Employee - Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in San Francisco, CA

Pros

1) PTO 4, 5, and 6 weeks depending on tenure. 2) Triage hires fun people; they are the #1 reason to come to work every day. 3) Hours are decent (45) for a consulting job, but then again, this is not really consulting. More like claim auditing. 4) The founders were good people. The top three Principals are good as well. Much respect. 5) Decent training ground for MS Office products. This is a lame Pro, isn't it?

Cons

1) The first Principals promoted from within the company have a laundry list of performance issues, ranging from misinformation to the client, contradictory statements, inappropriate comments to staff and clients, among others. They refuse to take upward evaluations, since they already have an ownership stake in the company. A long time ago, the primary responsibility of Principals was business development, or sales. However, now, the new Principals focus on audit and reporting QA, resulting in a very different environment. 2) The work itself is claim auditing, sprinkled with a quick status meeting every six or twelve months. Imagine, 9-10 hour days spent looking at claims and finding out if they were paid correctly or not. It is difficult to be intellectually stimulated with the work product. 3) Recruiters still tout a high 50%+ travel time per year to entice college kids to apply. The reality is this number is closer to 30%, sometimes 0% as many, many people are staffed on in-town projects, something becoming more and more prevalent as clients request we work remotely (due to the wonders of technology).

Advice to Management

Many recent promotions to the Manager and Principal level have driven away talent at Triage, so my advice would be to identify the people you truly need at the P level rather than be content on status quo. Don't settle for it, stay away from egos you don't want in the board room, and steer clear of people who repel talent. We have to be more selective when it comes to Managers and Principals (especially using upward evaluations as feedback).

RSS Feed </> Embed